Menu

Do you let your kids swing from the ceiling fans?

SparklyUnicorn

Ugh I hear you. My two cats fight over who gets to sit on my face. It's really crazy.

I think she's really trying to kill us. If you try to feed her anything with fish in it, she'll crimp DH's CPAP hose that night with her paw.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with ceiling fans.

• Like 1

I think she's really trying to kill us. If you try to feed her anything with fish in it, she'll crimp DH's CPAP hose that night with her paw.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with ceiling fans.

My cats are definitely plotting to kill me. 

One of mine is the sweetest thing really and he likes to cuddle up by my face when I'm sleeping.  But he spooks easily.  One time he jumped from being spooked and clawed me near my eye. Whew that was scary.  It didn't end up being too bad, but it could have been.  Crazy cat.

I'm pretty sure our one cat is plotting to kill my daughter. If anyone (even my daughter!) gets upset about anything, the cat automatically assumes my daughter is the cause and stalks her and swipes at her. It's kinda hilarious.

My dog (who thinks she is a cat... and is smaller than some cats) does that with my 7 year old.  They have a mutual sibling rivalry thing going on.

Edited by Butter
  • Like 2

Our cat leaves Godfather style threats by the front door.  Headless mice are her favorite.  (Yes, I'm convinced they are threats.  She also sidles up for a petting, lets you get about two strokes in, then bites you.)

Our dog nearly did kill dh tonight.  He stepped over the foot of an open recliner and she got under his feet.  You could hear the crash on the second floor.  

• Like 3

Occasionally, small stuffed animals were allowed to swing from ceiling fans, but not the children, they were only allowed to jump on the old couch and slide down the stairs on mattresses. The mattress thing actually scared me, but my husband did it with them and he swore it was perfectly safe with his supervision at the bottom. These are IKEA soft mattresses, not normal mattresses.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 3

Occasionally, small stuffed animals were allowed to swing from ceiling fans, but not the children, they were only allowed to jump on the old couch and slide down the stairs on mattresses. The matress thing actually scared me, but my husband did it with them and he swore it was perfectly safe with his supervision at the bottom. These are IKEA soft mattresses, not normal mattresses.

LOL..he sounds like a hoot.

• Like 2

Hey, I got whacked on the finger by a twirling ceiling fan while standing on my daughter's bed ( don't ask...don't judge :coolgleamA: )  and those things HURT.  I knocked a chip out of the bone.

Don't let your kids swing ceiling fans if they are turned on.  They could end up with a skull fracture and that would ruin your evening....just sayin'.

:leaving:

• Like 4

Occasionally, small stuffed animals were allowed to swing from ceiling fans, but not the children, they were only allowed to jump on the old couch and slide down the stairs on mattresses. The mattress thing actually scared me, but my husband did it with them and he swore it was perfectly safe with his supervision at the bottom. These are IKEA soft mattresses, not normal mattresses.

My kids just use their snow sleds on the stairs. No one has broken their neck yet...(we only have half flights thought, don't think I'd let them try it on a full flight)

• Like 2

Hey, I got whacked on the finger by a twirling ceiling fan while standing on my daughter's bed ( don't ask...don't judge :coolgleamA: ) and those things HURT. I knocked a chip out of the bone.

Don't let your kids swing ceiling fans if they are turned on. They could end up with a skull fracture and that would ruin your evening....just sayin'.

And all that wasted time for all that paperwork!

• Like 2

Hey, I got whacked on the finger by a twirling ceiling fan while standing on my daughter's bed ( don't ask...don't judge :coolgleamA: )  and those things HURT.  I knocked a chip out of the bone.

Don't let your kids swing ceiling fans if they are turned on.  They could end up with a skull fracture and that would ruin your evening....just sayin'.

This reminds me of an episode of Mythbusters where they tried to determine if it was possible to chop someone's head off with a high powered ceiling fan.  LOL

• Like 4

I've always wanted to try this.

We've done this! Actually, I left DH in charge and came home to this. But they left a "path" on one side so the kids could climb the stairs again.

I wonder if I still have pictures. Last time, they lined the stairs with cushions and slid down them, taking slo-mo videos. I had to leave the room for that, the clothing sliding on upholstery sensation makes me dry heave.

• Like 1

Hey, I got whacked on the finger by a twirling ceiling fan while standing on my daughter's bed ( don't ask...don't judge :coolgleamA: ) and those things HURT. I knocked a chip out of the bone.

Don't let your kids swing ceiling fans if they are turned on. They could end up with a skull fracture and that would ruin your evening....just sayin'.

I got whacked in the head by the ceiling fan while tucking my daughter in her bunk bed, it was not pleasant. She never did--I told her I did not recommend it. It hurt for hours. I calld it the evil ceiling fan for months and gave it a wide berth.

• Like 1

I sometimes put my kids stuffed animals each on a blade of the ceiling fan, turn it on and see who falls off first.

A favorite is when we put dd's cat purse (basically a plush cat with a purse strap) on a blade and imagine that she's Super Cat flying in circles.

• Like 2

I sometimes put my kids stuffed animals each on a blade of the ceiling fan, turn it on and see who falls off first.

A favorite is when we put dd's cat purse (basically a plush cat with a purse strap) on a blade and imagine that she's Super Cat flying in circles.

That has happened here.

When I was a very young teen, my cousin and I decided it'd be a good idea to stand on a bed (at grandma's!) and manually spin the ceiling fan. Somehow, one of the blades broke off. We decided to be "smart" and glue it back on with super glue...and broke a 2nd blade.

I seriously don't know why or what we were thinking. My grandma thought it was a hoot, but my aunt (who lived with her) was p!ssed.

(Now that I'm grown, I realize I would've been, too!)

• Like 1

When we were kids, we had a cushion that was actually the canvas seat out of my uncle's boat. My sister (the Ramona one) conceived to get wax paper, buff that puppy up, then toboggan down the basement stairs on the cushion. This actually worked! Until it didn't.

• Like 2

Of course I do!  What kind of a parent would suppress their child in such a way as to not to let them hang from light fixtures?  How sad for those children!   Poor little poppets that aren't allow that type of freedom and joy. :crying:

:lol:

• Like 5

No, but I let them attach stuff to the blades and see how long it takes for them to fly off.

Yep, this is how it snows in the south. The kids used to make paper snowflakes and then dance around underneath as the flakes fell off the fan blades.

It was totally their idea to do this. I agreed, not only because I thought they were pretty clever but because their first request had actually been to let them swing around on the blades. The snowflakes were much easier to say yes to.

• Like 1

My kids made "Hurricane Sandy" by tying varying lengths of multi-colored yarn to the ceiling fan in their room and then turning it on. :lol:

And we used to have little animals that came from the state fair with really long springs - they were MADE to be tied on ceiling fans, and went up and down! It only just now occurred to me, while reading this thread, that those were probably not the safest things to string up with my adorable toddlers. Good thing they ended up not being all that durable! (*the animals, not the toddlers - toddlers proved astonishingly durable)

• Like 2

Not quite a ceiling fan . . . 

I worked with a guy who hung a giant rope swing from his cathedral ceiling.  You'd take the rope halfway up his stairs, to the landing, get on and swing over the living room.

Usually after several drinks.

He was a rocket engineer, which speaks loads about how fun those guys are.  :laugh:  Incredibly, I don't recall anyone ever being injured.

• Like 4

YES, after DH makes sure it's secure and I've scattered some cushions around on the floor. 

When my mom was a kid they'd soak her grandma's concrete basement floor, pour a bunch of soap on it and "slide into home".  She literally can not count how many concussions she got as a kid from that and jumping off the porch roof or taking a "spin" in the dryer. 

• Like 1

No, but they are allowed to let their helium balloons fly into the fan in such a way that the string gets tangled, the light fitting attached to the fan flies off, shattered glass goes EVERYWHERE. They are allowed to do this when their dad is away for work and I have to deal with the threat of potential electrocution (and lacerations) by myself.

They're only allowed go do it once, though 😄

• Like 3

Just the cat.

(But if she freaking stands on my face again while I'm sleeping tonight, swinging from the fan will be the least of her adventures.)

Morning update, I am bleeding from the back of my head, where that blasted cat tried to rescue herself with claws after falling off our headboard (which is actually a pantry door screwed onto the wall).

<insert long string of expletives>

As part of our Christmas decorating growing up, my mom and I used to tie hollow plastic reindeer to the ceilng fan and then start up the fan. It was the best part of decorating and utterly hilarious. We'd laugh and laugh and laugh at those reindeer flying around the room.

• Like 2