Menu

POLL: Do you celebrate Halloween?

Does your family celebrate Halloween?  

1. 1. Does your family celebrate Halloween?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (please post why!)

With Virginia Dawn's post, I thought it would be interesting to find out how many families here actually celebrate Halloween.

We stopped when oldest dd was 4yo. I had issues with teaching my kid not to talk to strangers yet purposely taking her to strangers houses begging for candy. Dh was totally on board. Then we also listened to a very moving sermon that sealed the deal for us. Now we just rent a movie and have a special snack.

Edited by Alenee

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We do! We decorate, trick-or-treat together, hand out comic books as treats (my dh picks them), then sit home and listen to Orson Wells' famous "War of the Worlds" broadcast on CD in the dark. During the day we bake cookies (pumpkins, hats, cats, etc) and decorate them seasonally, carve pumpkins and bake the seeds as snacks... and any other fun activities I can squeeze in. Costumes are enjoyed by all (last year I was Professor McGonegall).

In our old house we had few kids who made it to our door. Our new place--judging by my previous experience--will be different. We now live in a largely hispanic neighborhood, tons of kids, down the street from the elementary school and close to main streets and around the corner from a couple of churches. I figure we're going to see 200 plus kids at least. The last time we lived in a similar neighborhood, we ran out of treats and had to turn out the lights and hide. :w00t: I love this stuff!

Edited by Kay in Cal
just chatting more

With Virginia Dawn's post, I thought it would be interesting to find out how many families here actually celebrate Halloween.

We've never celebrated Halloween, but we ALWAYS celebrate the Nov. 1 half price candy sales. Mmmmm! :lol:

Yes, if by celebrate you mean pass out candy to kids who come by. We in turn take our littles from door to door to collect candy from our neighbors. DH and I don't dress up (at least, not for the kiddies :D) or do the dawn-of-the-dead-on-the-front-lawn thing.

In terms of "celebration," we commemorate Reformation Day on that day, reading a little something to the kids about one of the heroes of the faith.

I voted "other." We don't really celebrate, but the dc do dress up and go trick-or-treating. I'm trying to convince them that it's not the actual holiday - it's the EVE of All Saints' Day. But until All Saints Day involves bucketloads of candy, I'm afraid it's not going to be as exciting for them. We'll do more celebrating over the next few days - All Saints, All Souls - but we do observe halloween.

We don't decorate our house or anything, but we do go to church for the Hallelujah party. The kids can dress up if they want to it's not mandatory.

I just talked to my mom and her work is going to have trick or treating on the 30th from 4-6 so we will go there~they will probably get little trinkets and candy.

Dh doesn't like Halloween at all, but we will let the kids get costumes and we all go to church together.

I love Halloween--I think it's great that the whole neighborhood gets out and is friendly and everyone says hello and stuff. It makes me love my community! So we pass out candy, go trick-or-treating, and so on. I like trunk-or-treats if they're not on Halloween, but I won't go if it's on the day--I think the neighborhood is too important to neglect.

I love Halloween--I think it's great that the whole neighborhood gets out and is friendly and everyone says hello and stuff. It makes me love my community! So we pass out candy, go trick-or-treating, and so on. I like trunk-or-treats if they're not on Halloween, but I won't go if it's on the day--I think the neighborhood is too important to neglect.

OK, spill it, dangermom: Trunk or treat?

when my 12 yr old was young I always took her to a harvest festival sponsored by a church.

We never seem to live on a street with door knockers but I keep candy on hand that day just in case.

Last year the 3yr old wore angel wings but it wasn't a 'real' costume. The 12 yr old had them and put them on her.

'

Edited by lwilliams1922

Guest Virginia Dawn

Ack! I knew this would happen. I feel like the worm in the can that I opened.

My answer: I do as little as I can possibly get away with. Most years that means just giving out candy at the door. This year Frank and Jesse James will be going to a "Trunk or Treat" in our church's parking lot. I swear we would have candy coming out our ears every Halloween, even if we hid in our house with all the lights out. So many people seem to think we really need it.

ETA: The older people enjoy watching Arsenic and Old Lace when the littles have gone to bed.

It's dh's favorite holiday and one of dd's. :D She gets dressed up in whatever her costume of choice is (this year it's a dancing cat) and they go out trick-or-treating, while I hand out the candy at home. We've been adding to our decorations bit by bit, and this year will have a decent display. It is a graveyard theme, but just a little spooky, not scarey at all. This is just the secular part, though. The spiritual part is later, just for us.

OK, spill it, dangermom: Trunk or treat?
You know what a trunk-or-treat is, right? It's just another version of a closed party like you might get at a community center or church (one that doesn't object to the day, that is). Everyone goes and parks in a big parking lot, you put decorations in your open trunk, and give out candy. The kids go up and down the parking lot instead of the neighborhood. Last time we went to one, we had an LED flashlight set on blink, so it was like a blue strobe light, and a tinsel curtain with spiders on it--this was in the back of our van. We are boring compared to what a lot of people do.

Guest Virginia Dawn

People from the congregation drive into the parking lot of the church and the children have a costume parade going from car trunk to trunk collecting candy.

Yes, we love Halloween here. Picking out costumes, going trick or treating together, eating our traditional pumpkin face hamburger and Jello Jigglers, sorting through the candy when we get home, and having hot cider while we watch The Great Pumpkin movie. There's nothing evil or demonic in our family's celebration at all-- just fun, festive family time.

I love meeting other Christians who "do" Halloween, because in our church we seem to be the minority, at least among the core group of involved families. I don't bring up the subject, at all, but when someone else does mention going trick or treating or what costume their child was last year, I'm tickled-- it is so much fun to talk about!

Erica

Dd dresses up and we go in the car to a nearby neighborhood, since our only "neighbors" are already in their graves...Hey, wait a minute--how strangely appropriate! :D

We don't do any decorations except a pumpkin, or do anything scary. I will have to do a little more at my preschool this year, but my co-teacher was sensitive to me and told me she wouldn't do anything scary or witch-themed at circle time.

My snark remark is always, "What is to celebrate?"

We've never celebrated; we just ignore the whole, crazy thing. Call me a party pooper, but I just don't get the point....now, we do like to play dress up all the time....and treats come very occasionally, which makes them true treats....but we don't get involved in Halloween at all. If I am gonna celebrate, there needs to be a real reason. Otherwise, what makes a celebration a celebration? silly me:tongue_smilie:

You know what a trunk-or-treat is, right?

Nope, never heard of it before! Must be a regional thing??

We live on a lonely street, so we go trick-or-treating at my brother's - the cousins have fun and they live in a nice little neighborhood with the houses close together and everyone knows everyone else.

We participate in the American cultural holiday by dressing up and going to a party at a friend's house. Not always on Oct. 31st. We don't trick-or-treat or give out candy for many reasons (here it is because no one would come by since we're in boony-ville :D ). We also don't deck out the house in ghosts or jack-o-lanterns or anything. Depending on the date of the party, our tradition has been to go out to dinner and get our Christmas picture taken on the 31st (before the prices go up).

We do not participate in the religious observances of Samhain or All Hallows Eve.

My kids would love to decorate all the time as well, but we only have 2 neighbors that would ever see it. This year we hope to be decorating a spot along the walking trail at the Y. They do a friendly Halloween trail walk and have simple fun games inside for the kids.

We do! We have a lot of fun with it - the kids always get excited to pick out costumes ahead of time. We have an elaborate pumpkin carving tradition that involves the kids drawing our their desired pumpkin faces and then working with Daddy at getting them carved. On Halloween day we always put costumes on early so I can take pictures of the kids in the yard (for the inevitable scrapbook pages..) then we TorT at my parents, a couple neighbors, and usually end at my Aunt & Uncle's house where we have a late supper and the kids eat their candy and play. It's always been super fun for us.

I voted other...

We tried to not celebrate Halloween. We turn off the porch light, turn off the inside lights, and put up a sign saying we don't have candy. Unfortunately, our main room (with our only seating and our only TV) is in the front of the house, they know we are home so they ignore all of the "go away" hints and knock anyway.

When my daughter was younger, we tried going out to dinner and wandering around Costco to kill time until the trick or treaters went home. That didn't work because our waiter was dressed up in a scary costume and my daughter was terrified every time he came to the table. Then we found dressed up people and decorations that scared her at Costco.

We couldn't stay home. We couldn't go out. So the best option was to participate in the harvest celebration at church because scary costumes aren't allowed there. I'd much rather stay home though.

We didn't for a few years in CT because I also don't like the idea and our neighborhood wasn't very friendly. Now we've moved to the south, great family neighborhood and it's fun for the kids to go around with all the other kids in our neighborhood. It's like a huge party in the streets here, with kids and parents. So, now we do. I don't make a big deal out of it though, the kids did make homemade ghosts to hang in our trees last year and want to do that again this year...other than that, we just go trick-or-treating that night and that's as far as the "celebrating" goes. :D

We celebrate here but stay with innocenct sometimes homemade costums.

I had issues with teaching my kid not to talk to strangers yet purposely taking her to strangers houses begging for candy.

I understand your point and I would never take the safety of my kids lightly (which is why dh goes with them and takes flashlights for each child). However, I miss the days when parents could trust neighbours to allow children to be safe on Halloween night. I have had the priveledge of growing up in smaller communities and Halloween was like a miracle. Only one night a year could you get candy by going door to door. I also like to give out candy and talk with all the kids that come knocking. I see it as a ministry to children that grow up in a less that safe world. I'm trying to bring back the good old days!!! One Halloween at a time! ;)

version of Halloween; we don't go trick-or-treating, but we've always taken the kids to a special event--oftentimes church-sponsored festivals.

I have a friend who has the best Halloween parties; when my kids were little, her parties were safe and always very, very cool! She has a huge family and many friends, so oftentimes the entire yard was filled with people!

We hand out candy to trick-or-treaters, and the kids do get to dress up (nothing scary) for the church-sponsored events.

We love halloween because it's totally a low key- holiday , and we get to chat & laugh with all the nieghbors. Two years ago, I did a porch gathering. We had a little chimenea fire, some finger foods, a bit of beer and it was so *nice*! The kids had a great time running around the neighborhood as we all chatted. (I live in the country now and everyone has acerage, which makes it a little harder, but we still have our candy & our all our lights on!). The kids are so sweet. I love their adorable costumes, even when they are supposed to be 'scary'. Halloween is such a great party!

We stopped when oldest dd was 4yo. I had issues with teaching my kid not to talk to strangers yet purposely taking her to strangers houses begging for candy.

We don't go to strangers' homes begging for candy. We visit our neighbors, trick or treating and bring caramel apples or kettle corn. Or we have a party with our family. Witch and mummy costumes, pumpkin bowling, bon fires and such.

Fun stuff. Nothing evil.

Edited by Crissy

When we lived on the main candy route through town, this was when we also gave away all our small McDonald's or other little trinket toys my kids had picked up throughout the year at birthday parties, or whatever. Things they played with for 10 minutes and were bored with. The kids loved them! So did the parents. :) Something different than more sugar! :)

Now we just rent a movie and have a special snack.

Shouldn't that be "other" since you do something for Halloween, just not the traditional something?

No, our family does not. I did not when I was growing up either. I wanted to so bad! My parents did not really explain why and hey, I was a kid. :lol: We had a couple of off-season costume parties, hulas and discos though. They were fun!

I wouldn't say that we celebrate Halloween exactly. We don't decorate with scary, witch and ghost things, but I do decorate with harvest stuff...carved pumpkins, corn stalks, mums, ect.

We also, very much, like making and dressing up in costumes. It's a very big deal to us. We really get into it.

As far as trick or treating, we found a "safe" neighborhood in TN where we liked to go. Now that we have moved, the graduate student housing has a huge celebration for the kids complete with the University marching band! I am kind of excited to see what it is going to be like.

I like that. Do you have a ceremony of sorts, or is it just very casual?

It depends on the year, and our energy level ;)

Most years we cook a meal that includes foods that remind us of the people who have passed on ... specific foods they made or liked, or ethnic foods from our ancestors. (Often this makes for a strange meal!) Then we talk, over the meal. We leave an empty seat. Since we are pagan, when we do this we are actually inviting the spirits to be with us. It is generally pretty casual, though.

We love Halloween. When I was a kid, it was my favorite holiday.

My kids usually start thinking/talking about their costumes around July. This year, my son got so obsessive and irritating about it that I forbid him to discuss it with me until September. So, guess what I was doing on September 1st?

However, given our no-refined-sugar-vegan lifestyle, there really isn't a lot of point in sending them out trick-or-treating. So, in years past, we gave a party and/or volunteered to run events at our church. Then we moved here and started attending a church that has a great Halloween party as one of its major social events of the year. So, that has become our primary Halloween celebration.

My kids even get to experience trick-or-treating in miniature. At one point during the party, we station an adult at or behind each of the classroom doors in our religious education building and send the kids around (and around and around) collecting treats. I always make sure that each door has a selection of non-candy treats available for my kids and any others who can't/don't eat candy.

The party happens the Saturday before Halloween. On Halloween night, we stay home, decorate the house and hand out treats to any neighbors who ring the doorbell. We also usually watch a "scary" movie or two in between answering the door. Most of the time, my kids put on their costumes and fight over who gets to answer the door. (Well, my daughter isn't home on Halloween anymore, but they used to fight about it.)

It took us a few years to get it right, but we really enjoy our traditions.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

We dress dd up as a British Monarch and go to church. (Over the top, I know, but when else am I going to get to make an Elizabethan gown?) Queen Elizabeth I at the Hallelujah party, showing her panties as she wrestles boys for prizes! :svengo:

We're too swamped to do anything this year.

Sometimes we go out, sometimes we stay at home with the porch lights off. We have great kids on our block, but we just can't get with Halloween.