Menu

Let's talk travel coffee cups

mamiof5

Finding a good quality travel coffee cup is impossible!! Looking for something that doesn't break at the first or second fall, that doesn't leak after a few times of use, AND keeps my coffee warm for a while. Is there anything like this out there? A magic/good quality travel coffee cup that I don't know of?

Once upon a time, I had a beautiful travel mug.  I didn't pay attention to the brand, or remember where it came from, because we were going to live happily ever after.

Then, one day, I left it behind.  I was sad, but stayed positive.  I had left it in a building with a great lost and found.  Every morning for a week, I looked forward to our reunion.

Finally, the big day came, and I rushed to the lost and found box, eagerly digging through abandoned jackets, shoes, lunch bags, and art projects.  But my mug was nowhere to be found.

Ever since, I've been cursed to a life of drippy travel mugs.

• Like 3

Starbucks are always changing theirs up, but if you can find one that is made of metal and has a non-spill lid that clicks in tight then you're good.  We have two of them right now.  It doesn't matter if you drop them, nothing happens.  Plus, the seal is so good I can put the coffee in my purse and it doesn't spill.

• Like 1

I have a Thermos brand travel mug that works well.  Actually we have 3.  Two are 10+ years old and still working just fine.  One of them did have the handle break a little recently when my dd dropped it onto concrete, but it is still very usable.  My newest one I got for Christmas this past year.  It keeps things just as warm and seems pretty sturdy.  

DD has a Contigo that she loves.  It is easier to clean than the Thermos brand.  

DH's main one is a Bubba; he has another that is Thermos brand. He has no problem with either and rotates them daily. They wash in the DW and require no special care. He works in construction, so his cup has to be very sturdy.

With that said, I have a different theory for my own travel mug. I have a ceramic Starbucks mug DD gave me for Christmas. She (and I) think ceramic is nicer to drink from than metal or plastic. So, mine (and hers) is fragile, but it forces me to take great care of it. So, there's that.

• Like 3

I don't have one, but have heard nothing but good things about the Contigo linked above.

We just have a collection of stainless steel cups with lids that we've acquired along the way.   They are not perfectly spillproof but they work well.  To me the stainless steel a must because I put dairy in my coffee and plastic will retain odors and tastes. 

My husband sometimes uses a small thermos for a mug. Sure, you can drink right out of it.  But the lid unscrews so he has to leave it in the cup holder open.  Our car has good deep cupholders and he doesn't fill the thing all the way, so he hasn't had a spill problem.

Hydroflask makes an amazing travel coffee mug. Coffee will still be hot hours later. 

http://www.amazon.com/Vacuum-Insulated-Stainless-Bottle-Graphite/dp/B01ACAUAFW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459092915&sr=8-1&keywords=hydro+flask+coffee+mug

We use their water bottles too and they keep water icy cold forever it seems. Love them!

• Like 2

Technically these are for tea (they have an optional infuser) but they are delightful for coffee. If you leave your coffee in the counter in the morning, it's still be warm when you return at night. Heck, it'll still be tepid the next morning. I've been using this coffee mug since 2000, however it has not been the exact same model. The plastic will crack if you drop it enough and/or the plastic will melt if it falls down onto the heating element in the dishwasher. That said, it is very sturdy and attractive and I usually keep one going for three or four years at a stretch. When you seal the lid on it looks like a handsome little leak-proof prop from the set of Star Trek.

http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Insulated-Stainless-Tumbler-Infuser/dp/B00JTUUOW6/

Thermos 12 Ounce Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel Tea Tumbler

I bought one at Starbucks long ago that works fine. It's stainless steel (I don't store my liquids in plastic) but the lid is plastic and has a flip. It's actually a very simple thing.

When this one is in the wash, I just grab a mason jar :)

Eta that I have a HUGE (looks like a missile) thermos one for tea for when we go skiing and I can testify it keeps the tea hot ridiculously long, but you have to pour it out to drink it

Edited by madteaparty

Hydroflask makes an amazing travel coffee mug. Coffee will still be hot hours later. 

http://www.amazon.com/Vacuum-Insulated-Stainless-Bottle-Graphite/dp/B01ACAUAFW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459092915&sr=8-1&keywords=hydro+flask+coffee+mug

We use their water bottles too and they keep water icy cold forever it seems. Love them!

I love, love, love my hydroflask bottles!  I have 3 of them.  One 64 ounce and the other two 24 ounce.  I have the coffee lid for one of them and the reg. water lid for the other.

They keep things hot or cold for hours and hours.

• Like 1

I love my Contigo. It lasted a year before the lid broke. I contacted the company and got a replacement lid for FREE. The beautiful thing still works two years running (so 3 now). My coffee stays warm from around 730 when I fill out through to about noon when I tip it back for one last desperate sip. No leaks.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Contigo AutoSeal West Loop with easy clean lid.

Best coffee cup ever.  I use mine all the time, not just in the car/traveling.

:iagree:

I bought several of these at Costco, and the new lids are a big improvement on the old ones (which were hard to get really clean). They keep tea or coffee hot for hours, never leak, and clean up great in the dishwasher.

ETA: I prefer the plain stainless one over the colored ones, because the color does flake off in the dishwasher.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 1

They have a larger size too.  Best travel mug ever. Keeps this cold and hot and the lid is so nice and easy to drink from. Big fans here.

• Like 2

Contigo AutoSeal West Loop with easy clean lid.

Best coffee cup ever.  I use mine all the time, not just in the car/traveling.

I did tons of research on this topic last fall, and I bought a pair of the stainless steel (whole body, so nothing to peel) Contigo AutoSeal ones for my coffee-fanatic 16 yo son for a Christmas surprise (so hard to choose surprises for a teen boy) and he LOVES them. What I love is that he can haul his coffee without making a mess. (He doesn't mind the mess, lol). He loves the portability and keeping-warm features. They are awesome. 

• Like 2