Menu

Pulled pork barbecue sandwiches for graduation party. Help?

FaithManor

Pork loin might not shred enough. Or to put it another way, it might not *pull* enough. :-)

This. If you cook it long enough, it will pull into long strands, but it's not the same texture as pulled pork. It keeps that pork roast texture. You can chop it and it's okay, but it's not as unctuous or flavorful. You have to be careful not to overcook it. Pork shoulder/butt should be cheaper at some point. Pork loin is LESS fatty than pork shoulder/butt. 

Edited by zoobie
  • Like 4

I almost bought pork loin yesterday because it's on sale here too. Then I thought about what I want to do with it - pulled pork, same as you. It will likely be dry when cooked that way. Boston butt was also on sale, so I went with that instead. 

You can make pulled pork with pork loin, but don't expect as much flavor from it. You might need extra BBQ sauce to compensate.

Just found pork tenderloin on sale for $2.88 a lb. But, pork shoulder butt (never worked with that either) is 99c a lb. What is pork shoulder butt like?

The tenderloin would be divine, but the savings on the other would be really nice.

Oh, and how many lbs do you think? 4 oz per person finished product? There will be hot dogs to roast over the bonfire as well as baked beans and chips, spinach and artichoke dip, watermelon bowl of fresh fruits, cake, cookies, and punch.

Just found pork tenderloin on sale for $2.88 a lb. But, pork shoulder butt (never worked with that either) is 99c a lb. What is pork shoulder butt like?

The tenderloin would be divine, but the savings on the other would be really nice.

Oh, and how many lbs do you think? 4 oz per person finished product? There will be hot dogs to roast over the bonfire as well as baked beans and chips, spinach and artichoke dip, watermelon bowl of fresh fruits, cake, cookies, and punch.

Pork shoulder/ pork butt are the same. That is what I always make bbq pork with. Works nicely.

• Like 3

That's what I use to make BBQ in my large crock pot.  I slice an onion on the bottom of the crock pot, stud the pork loin with cloves, and cook it s-l-o-w-l-y for a long time.  Take it out, drain the liquid, remove the onions, and put it back in the crock pot for a few more hours with BBQ sauce.  It shreds just fine and is delicious!

• Like 1

Pork tenderloin is the leanest. You have to be very careful cooking it for BBQ. It's better cooked quickly.

Pork shoulder/butt is what is traditionally used for pulled pork.

• Like 2

I don't eat pork and know many people who do not. So, I hope you would offer something other than pork at the graduation party.

I think non-pork eaters can figure out something to eat from:

There will be hot dogs to roast over the bonfire as well as baked beans and chips, spinach and artichoke dip, watermelon bowl of fresh fruits, cake, cookies, and punch.

Also I trust that the OP knows her friends and family well enough to know if her menu will be problematic.

I don't eat most cow's milk dairy, especially things like ice cream. I also don't expect my hosts to provide an alternate dessert if ice cream is what they have in mind. If I didn't want to eat pork, I could easily make a meal of beans and fruit.

• Like 5

Sounds delicious.  I always buy a big pork shoulder/butt for birthday parties, I think they are around 10 pounds?  This will feed about least 20 with leftovers.    I always go for too much, rather than not enough because it will freeze really well.  I don't trim off the fat cap, but I do score it, and add some rub.  I smoke it, fat side up,  on my gas grill for 2 hours the night before the party, then straight into the crockpot all night.  I take it out at some point the next morning, let it cool, then shred it.  I put it back into the crockpot about 2 hours before party.  The nice thing about a shoulder is they are not fussy,  they can overcook and still be tender.  I have never tried a pork loin or tenderloin for pulled pork. 

I think non-pork eaters can figure out something to eat from:

Also I trust that the OP knows her friends and family well enough to know if her menu will be problematic.

I don't eat most cow's milk dairy, especially things like ice cream. I also don't expect my hosts to provide an alternate dessert if ice cream is what they have in mind. If I didn't want to eat pork, I could easily make a meal of beans and fruit.

I have your basic farm 4-H crowd coming. Eating pork is very common with this set. The hot dogs are all beef anyway.

One thing I'm not doing though is calling around asking for individual menu desires or I'd never get this pulled off as I am also caring for a dying cancer patient and a mother showing signs of dementia. I have to keep it simple and affordable while putting together an evening that ds will enjoy.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

• Like 5

I have your basic farm 4-H crowd coming. Eating pork is very common with this set. The hot dogs are all beef anyway.

One thing I'm not doing though is calling around asking for individual menu desires or I'd never get this pulled off as I am also caring for a dying cancer patient and a mother showing signs of dementia. I have to keep it simple and affordable while putting together an evening that ds will enjoy.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I never call around asking for individual menu desires, and I am not having to take care of others as you are. Sounds like you have a wonderful/please a crowd menu in mind. We've done pork loin, butt and shoulder (all in the crockpot), they have all worked well

I've wanted to do pulled pork before, but we're very picky about fat or "weird pieces" in meat (if you know what I mean!).  How do you tell what piece would be good but not have lots of.... gunk in it? ;)

ETA, this is sad, but just writing that made me nauseous...

Edited by goldberry

This. If you cook it long enough, it will pull into long strands, but it's not the same texture as pulled pork. It keeps that pork roast texture. You can chop it and it's okay, but it's not as unctuous or flavorful. You have to be careful not to overcook it. Pork shoulder/butt should be cheaper at some point. Pork loin is LESS fatty than pork shoulder/butt.

Yep. Last time I grabbed a loin instead of shoulder roast because of the sale price. I had to chop it. I prefer pork loin for everything else, but for pulled BBQ, the shoulder really is best (and I spend a lot of time defatting it as I hand "pull" it).

• Like 2

I don't know.  The tenderloin seems to have even less fat.  Even if you remove the fat after cooking it still adds flavor.

Tenderloin gets very tough with overcooking too.

Interesting.  I don't know anyone who doesn't eat pork.

Well except some vegans or vegetarians I know.

We eat very little.  DH and I both will occasionally eat a good pulled pork sandwich, but only if the meat is not too fatty. I once had to spend a whole dinner shuffling around a giant pork chop on a plate to make it look like I'd eaten part of it. :(   

• Like 1

I rarely eat pork.  I just don't eat too much red meat in general and it doesn't agree with me.  That said, that sounds like a perfect spread for a graduation open house.  Not everyone will need a full meal and people can pick and chose. 

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 2

I just wanted to chime in and wish you and your family a wonderful, happy, carefree day. You've had such a tough time since the accident. May you have perfect weather and a memorable celebration.

Thank you so much!!! I really, really appreciate that.

I am planning for us to have a truly wonderful time. I even told my father that at the first sign he cannot behave himself, my brother will be depositing him back at his house, and it will result in my not being around for a good long time. He's stewing on that, but we have found we have to really lay down the law in advance so he can mull it over for a while or he won't make an effort.

Dh is going to do a firework show after dark since he has his pyrotechnic license, and we'll also launch a couple of the rockets that P built through the years.

Glow sticks, silly string, bonfire, smores,...I am planning on our family having a really fun night to remember.

• Like 3

Since you all are giving pulled pork advice. Roughly how much bbq sauce? I assume you shred it and throw it back in the crockpot minus fat part of liquid. Assume shoulders from Costco.

I do not sauce it and instead serve sauce on the side. Costco has a BBQ rub that's in the spice section that's very good. They use it on their seasoned ribs. Sprinkle liberally all over the shoulder, add a glug or two of apple cider vinegar, and it's good to go. You can refrigerate and remove the layer of fat that solidifies. Shred and add as much liquid back in as it needs for reheating.

Edited: it's easier to shred or pull it while it's warm. Sounded like I meant to cool it first. Sorry!

Edited by zoobie

I do not sauce it, and instead serve sauce on the side. Costco has a BBQ rub that's in the spice section that's very good. They use it on their seasoned ribs. Sprinkle liberally all over the shoulder, add a glug or two of apple cider vinegar, and it's good to go. You can refrigerate and remove the layer of fat that solidifies. Shred and add as much liquid back in as it needs for reheating.

Thanks!

Faith, I hope you have a wonderful celebration. You guys deserve it!

Thanks!

Faith, I hope you have a wonderful celebration. You guys deserve it!

Thank you very much!

Sparkly, if you all lived nearby I would most definitely invite you to come to the party. We'd have a blast!!! Oops, unfortunate pun there given that dh will be lighting things on fire and launching things. :D

• Like 2

I've wanted to do pulled pork before, but we're very picky about fat or "weird pieces" in meat (if you know what I mean!). How do you tell what piece would be good but not have lots of.... gunk in it? ;)

I do my carnitas in a pot on the stove and the fat renders down and then the pork fries in that a little. Delicious. No weird bits, I promise.

• Like 1

Sounds like you're planning a wonderful party,

I didn't see anybody answer the question about quantity.  I would think 4 oz. per person would be plenty, especially if you're offering hot dogs too. :) 

As somebody who doesn't eat pork, even if we showed up to a party that was BBQ pork and pork/beef hot dogs, we'd be fine.  We're going to support friends, not necessarily feast.  You make do with sides and stuff, and have a great time regardless.  Knowing that there's beef hot dogs (plus the opportunity to roast them over a fire), it would be beyond awesome in my opinion. 

• Like 1

I do my carnitas in a pot on the stove and the fat renders down and then the pork fries in that a little. Delicious. No weird bits, I promise.

So are you using the pork shoulder?  Do you look for anything special when picking the meat?  Are you boiling it?  How does it fry then?

:blushing:  (yes, I am embarrassingly clueless.)  But I love things that make a lot of food and then we can eat for several days, so I'm hoping to maybe add this to my capabilities!

So are you using the pork shoulder? Do you look for anything special when picking the meat? Are you boiling it? How does it fry then?

:blushing: (yes, I am embarrassingly clueless.) But I love things that make a lot of food and then we can eat for several days, so I'm hoping to maybe add this to my capabilities!

I use pork shoulder. I braise the pork low and slow and then once the water evaporates, it sizzles in its own fat. This is basically the recipe I use:

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2011/11/homesick-texan-carnitas

You can shred them more than the pictures if you like. And add sauce or not as you like.

I rip it apart with two forks.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

I just cooked a pork loin in the oven. No one wanted it for leftovers, so I shredded the pork in the stand mixer, added BBQ and it disappeared! I read how to shred chicken on here and thought I'd give the pork a try.

I was going to say, ANYthing will shred if you have a Kitchenaid mixer. :)

I've used loin and butt for pulled pork, which my DD loves. My boys love buffalo chicken dip. My Kitchenaid is used to shred meat about 5 times more than it is used to actually mix anything. :D

I've wanted to do pulled pork before, but we're very picky about fat or "weird pieces" in meat (if you know what I mean!).  How do you tell what piece would be good but not have lots of.... gunk in it? ;)

I know exactly what you mean, and I almost gagged just reading your post and thinking about it. It's why I won't order pulled pork when I'm out. I am Jack Sprat, and the least bit of fat or gristle ruins the entire meal for me. We're both weird, I guess. ;)

(and I spend a lot of time defatting it as I hand "pull" it).

Yep. I trim as much fat as I can before cooking it, without trimming too much so it will still have flavor and not be dry. Then when I pull it, I pull out as much fat as I can. When we get ready to eat, I still pick through it as I make my sandwich in case there was any left behind.

It's not something I can just deal with. The texture of fat in my mouth sets off my gag reflex. I can tell it's there, and I just can't eat it. Literally. It won't go down my throat.

For all of the above reasons, I've been tempted to use pork loin due to its low fat content. But it really does affect the flavor and texture. We can eat it, but it's just not as good as a butt/shoulder.

Edited by Lady Florida
  • Like 2

I know exactly what you mean, and I almost gagged just reading your post and thinking about it. It's why I won't order pulled pork when I'm out. I am Jack Sprat, and the least bit of fat or gristle ruins the entire meal for me. We're both weird, I guess. ;)

Yep. I trim as much fat as I can before cooking it, without trimming too much so it will still have flavor and not be dry. Then when I pull it, I pull out as much fat as I can. When we get ready to eat, I still pick through it as I make my sandwich in case there was any left behind.

It's not something I can just deal with. The texture of fat in my mouth sets off my gag reflex. I can tell it's there, and I just can't eat it. Literally. It won't go down my throat.

For all of the above reasons, I've been tempted to use pork loin due to its low fat content. But it really does affect the flavor and texture. We can eat it, but it's just not as good as a butt/shoulder.

:thumbup1:  a kindred spirit...

• Like 1

I use pork shoulder. I braise the pork low and slow and then once the water evaporates, it sizzles in its own fat. This is basically the recipe I use:

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2011/11/homesick-texan-carnitas

You can shred them more than the pictures if you like. And add sauce or not as you like.

I rip it apart with two forks.

My mom makes a sauerbraten with noodles that I love, I bet this method would work really well for that, just smaller pieces.

Ok, that does it! Ya'll hit my hungry pregnancy cravings button! So who's coming over and showing me how to make pulled pork or carnitas?? Bringing samples of the finished product is a plus... I'll make dessert....

Edited by Paradox5

Ok, that does it! Ya'll hit my hungry pregnancy cravings button! So who's coming over and showing me how to make pulled pork or carnitas?? Bringing samples of the finished product is a plus... I'll make dessert....

Crockpot, pork butt, cook. Drain, shred, add sauce/seasoning of choice, heat, serve.

I make homemade BBQ sauce, but a bottle of your favorite store bought works.

Faith, I cook pork butt quite frequently and I pop it in the crock pot, cook until it falls apart, then I freeze it. 
I don't know when the dinner is, but you can cook some every night for a week, freeze it, then pop it in the roaster with some BBQ sauce on the day of the event---- you will want to plan for the time it takes to pull the meat and get the little bits of fat out of the meat.

You can do so many things with it once it is done-- I use it for shredded pork soft tacos (add some rotel toms to the meat) and serve with salsa, beans, sour cream etc... When I serve it for a party I sometimes make 1/2 one way and 1/2 the other--it adds an easy to serve second option for the guests