Menu

Apple Cider Vinegar Cures Celiac!

Butter

The one that really gets my goat is the implication that my intellectually disabled son would be FINE if I weren't homeschooling him.

Uh-huh. Whatev.

I love that one. My dd's learning difficulties will clear up in a year if I put her in school, even the school which has 60 kids in a class. What's crazy, is my ex has spent tens of thousands trying to get that court ordered.

• Like 1

People have claimed it cures acid reflux. Noooo... Not only does it not cure acid reflux it is an awful thing to attempt to drink when you have acid reflux.

If only it were all that simple.

Yeah, ACV will fix that hiatal hernia that lets acid shoot up my nose every time I switch the laundry. Sure.

That reminds me, my dad told me that cucumbers cured his acid reflux. With salt and vinegar and a bit of sugar on them. So basically, pickles. I cracked up because I looooooove pickles and could eat them all day and yet... stomach acid spraying up my throat while I bend over and pick the Legos out of the webbing of my toes.

He also claims to be vegan now for health reasons. His diet consists of fruit, veggies, rice... and chicken, cheese, and occasionally fish. He has a very, um, different understanding of veganism than I do. I should call him and get an update on the Miracle Vegan Pickle Cure.

Edited by BarbecueMom
  • Like 6

Alternative treatments that work have science behind them.  They aren't somehow removed from science.  Of course, some alternative treatments don't work and there is science to explain that too.

And as others have said, a treatment is only effective if it is applied to the right condition. 

In the 30 years I've been chronically ill, I've had some doozies.  I had the older mentor who told me that I "deserved" to be sick. (She was surprised when she was no longer my mentor after that.)    I had the lady who stopped me in the middle of Zumba and started laying on hands and praying at the top of her lungs.  (I wanted the ground to swallow me up.)  I had the woman who prayed for me (very kind) but then asked me at 15 minute intervals, "Are you cured yet?"  (I actually fled the premises with that one on the guise of having to go to the bathroom).   I had the natural healer who gave me crystals to hold - the crystal was supposed to somehow sense what was wrong with me and cure it.  I had another natural healer do the muscle testing thing and tell me things that were directly contradicted by actual scientific lab tests.  (And yes, I'll probably get someone upset at me who believes totally in muscle testing.) 

• Like 7

Alternative treatments that work have science behind them.  They aren't somehow removed from science.  Of course, some alternative treatments don't work and there is science to explain that too.

And as others have said, a treatment is only effective if it is applied to the right condition. 

In the 30 years I've been chronically ill, I've had some doozies.  I had the older mentor who told me that I "deserved" to be sick. (She was surprised when she was no longer my mentor after that.)    I had the lady who stopped me in the middle of Zumba and started laying on hands and praying at the top of her lungs.  (I wanted the ground to swallow me up.)  I had the woman who prayed for me (very kind) but then asked me at 15 minute intervals, "Are you cured yet?"  (I actually fled the premises with that one on the guise of having to go to the bathroom).   I had the natural healer who gave me crystals to hold - the crystal was supposed to somehow sense what was wrong with me and cure it.  I had another natural healer do the muscle testing thing and tell me things that were directly contradicted by actual scientific lab tests.  (And yes, I'll probably get someone upset at me who believes totally in muscle testing.) 

Also, placebo effect.  Sometimes believing something will work is enough to help with the problem.  And I'm fine with that.  I am usually willing to try something if there is minimal harm in trying it.

• Like 6

Do they claim to have celiac or just gluten sensitivity? Gluten sensitivity seems to be a real thing; people react to gluten, but not with the severity seen in celiac disease.

I know non-celiac gluten sensitivity is real, but no. These are people who believe gluten is evil for everyone and therefore they think they feel better without it and/or feel bad when they eat it. 

I love that one. My dd's learning difficulties will clear up in a year if I put her in school, even the school which has 60 kids in a class. What's crazy, is my ex has spent tens of thousands trying to get that court ordered.

Every time I want to put my difficult kid in school I remember just how quickly she would fall through the cracks and get further and further behind.

And every time you talk about your ex I want to punch him in the face. I'm sorry he keeps making your lives so hard :grouphug:

"Chemical free". Snort. 

That one always makes me go  :001_rolleyes: and :confused1:

diet is essentially the cure. 

Cured would mean she could eat foods with gluten and have no ill effects. Diet is a way to control the disease and its symptoms. It isn't a cure. 

I hope they find a cure in your daughter's and my friend's lifetime.

• Like 3

Alternative treatments that work have science behind them. They aren't somehow removed from science. Of course, some alternative treatments don't work and there is science to explain that too.

In the 30 years I've been chronically ill, I've had some doozies. I had the older mentor who told me that I "deserved" to be sick. (She was surprised when she was no longer my mentor after that.) I had the lady who stopped me in the middle of Zumba and started laying on hands and praying at the top of her lungs. (I wanted the ground to swallow me up.) I had the woman who prayed for me (very kind) but then asked me at 15 minute intervals, "Are you cured yet?" (I actually fled the premises with that one on the guise of having to go to the bathroom). I had the natural healer who gave me crystals to hold - the crystal was supposed to somehow sense what was wrong with me and cure it. I had another natural healer do the muscle testing thing and tell me things that were directly contradicted by actual scientific lab tests. (And yes, I'll probably get someone upset at me who believes totally in muscle testing.)

I have a few people who mention muscle testing to me and I just smile politely and divert divert divert. I am a big fan of trying reasonable naturopathic treatments and looking at the evidence, but that one just doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

And I'm someone who DOES swill vinegar for both weight loss and managing my intestinal issues. There are actual studies dealing with the effects there. But just because it works for one thing doesn't mean it is somehow a panacea for ALL THE THINGS!!!!1!

I'm sure you've heard so much nonsense over the years! :grouphug:

Yeah, ACV will fix that hiatal hernia that lets acid shoot up my nose every time I switch the laundry. Sure.

That reminds me, my dad told me that cucumbers cured his acid reflux. With salt and vinegar and a bit of sugar on them. So basically, pickles. I cracked up because I looooooove pickles and could eat them all day and yet... stomach acid spraying up my throat while I bend over and pick the Legos out of the webbing of my toes.

He also claims to be vegan now for health reasons. His diet consists of fruit, veggies, rice... and chicken, cheese, and occasionally fish. He has a very, um, different understanding of veganism than I do. I should call him and get an update on the Miracle Vegan Pickle Cure.

His diet is similar to a relative's diet.  They were gluten free yet ate everything with gluten unless they could get attention with gluten free.  Now the person is currently all forms of sugar and artificial free.  They eat lots of fruit especially apples and blueberries, pre-packaged crap and KFC.  

There must be a special book out there.

Do they claim to have celiac or just gluten sensitivity? Gluten sensitivity seems to be a real thing; people react to gluten, but not with the severity seen in celiac disease.

On the converse side, I have some gluten sensitivity, possibly more to wheat. Yet, somehow another family member ended up assuming I had celiac. Um no, that's not what I claimed. In this case it was family miscommunicating. 

My favorite is my ex who once said I probably never had cancer. Um, Yeah, they made up the pathology report. Just because they caught it early doesn't mean I didn't have cancer. 

• Like 4

The few I know have claimed both or celiac yet consume gluten when they want it.  One would brag about telling chefs so that when they went out to eat, the chef would make them something special.

It makes it hard on those who do have issues with gluten as they get some really interesting "advice" or have been told they are just following a fad diet.

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 3

I will say, when dealing with a medical mystery it is HARD not to at least consider some of the quackery, even knowing it's quackery. Thinking you just want something to work to make you better. Anything.

Maybe that's what makes it so insulting...Like, if this actually worked, don't you think I'd be doing it already? Millions of people would be doing it?? Instead it is some big secret that I have to learn from healthimpactnews or some such.

• Like 6

Maybe that's what makes it so insulting...Like, if this actually worked, don't you think I'd be doing it already? Millions of people would be doing it?? Instead it is some big secret that I have to learn from healthimpactnews or some such.

Exactly! If prayer, ozone, raw milk, ceasing medications, or any number of other cheap, easy methods would cure my daughter of HIV, I'd already have done it! Duh!

• Like 5

My kids volunteer every week, and I sit in the library of the volunteer site and grade/read/play on my phone while I wait for them.

There are two other homeschooling families whose youngest kids attend the volunteer site's preschool who also sit in the library and yell at their kids (who are friends) to stop trying to be friendly with their friends and do their schoolwork. <_<  Ugh. 

In between yelling at their kids, the moms endlessly discuss their experiences with essential oils and swap all kinds of advice for how to tweak their routines/try different oils/ingest more since that they are doing isn't working. I just want to scream at them, "Essential oils are bunk!" Especially at the one mom who is treating her kid's asthma with essential oils but somehow still keeps ending up in the doctor's office with asthma flare-ups!!  :banghead:  :willy_nilly:  :cursing:

• Like 3

My kids volunteer every week, and I sit in the library of the volunteer site and grade/read/play on my phone while I wait for them.

There are two other homeschooling families whose youngest kids attend the volunteer site's preschool who also sit in the library and yell at their kids (who are friends) to stop trying to be friendly with their friends and do their schoolwork. <_<  Ugh. 

In between yelling at their kids, the moms endlessly discuss their experiences with essential oils and swap all kinds of advice for how to tweak their routines/try different oils/ingest more since that they are doing isn't working. I just want to scream at them, "Essential oils are bunk!" Especially at the one mom who is treating her kid's asthma with essential oils but somehow still keeps ending up in the doctor's office with asthma flare-ups!!  :banghead:  :willy_nilly:  :cursing:

Haven't there been news stories about cases of medical neglect where CPS got involved due to stuff like this-treating a serious condition like asthma with natural products that do nothing and are in some cases, dangerous?

Yeah my guess is there are too many hobby celiac sufferers floating around.  So probably ACV works for them. 

Hobby celiacs! What a great term for those people.

Well, there is one upside to this. There are lots and lots of products available in stores these days.  All those extra people interested in the concept or the fashion of going gluten free probably created the kind of interest needed to get more of them into stores and made them more affordable. 

And the downside is that hobby celiacs go into restaurants and other social eating events and either "cheat" for the special occasion or because something is just so tasty, and this makes people think that celiacs can cheat or don't have to be so strict about their diet. Also, hobby celiacs will never realize if their food has hidden gluten in it and therefor the chef/cook and other people will think they know how to prepare safe food for a celiac but they really haven't and don't know how. 

Then someone who truly has a medical problem comes along and people roll their eyes at the "diva" for making such a huge fuss about their food. In worst cases safety protocol is not followed because A) said cook doesn't realize s/he is not doing thing correctly as other "celiacs" have not gotten sick B) said cook ignores a celiac's requests/instructions for food because they assume the person is being an annoying pain in the arse. 

• Like 4

Diet doesn't cure everything, but it is the answer for celiac.

I am so glad to hear you've found something that allows your daughter to live a more comfortable, happy life.

I think what you are referring to as a "cure" many would call a "treatment", which is different.

It doesn't change the fact that your daughter is happy and I am very happy for you both. I can't imagine watching my child live in pain like that and my heart goes out to you.

• Like 3

The one that really gets my goat is the implication that my intellectually disabled son would be FINE if I weren't homeschooling him.

Uh-huh. Whatev.

That makes perfect sense, because I know the plot I saw of the outcomes of children with IEPs and LDs in the Seattle Public Schools indicated that those hundreds and hundreds of children were certainly doing slightly better than they were compared to the general population ten years ago, implying that the dedication and years of the lives of dedicated staff to serving these kids can surely make their difficulties go away... eventually. Like maybe at this rate, in a million years.

(Once again, sarcasm. Sorry you had to deal with that, Karen.)

ETA: I want to say, since I got this information, we were really happy for the schools--they ARE working to improve things. They are trying, on sliced, unfunded budgets. So I'm not trying to belittle their efforts, but the idea that this goes away in public school is just--laugh, cry, or vomit, I don't even know.

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 3

I had another natural healer do the muscle testing thing and tell me things that were directly contradicted by actual scientific lab tests. (And yes, I'll probably get someone upset at me who believes totally in muscle testing.)

Ugh. A long time ago when I was younger and full of hope, I actually took my type 1 DD to a naturopath for muscle testing on the advice of another mom who swore he was healing her DD of type 1 diabetes. He gave me a list of about 15 foods to cut out. I spent months tearing my hair out trying to feed my picky 7 year old on practically nothing but almond flour and quinoa and some fruits and veggies, oh and this puffed amaranth cereal I found somewhere on line. The results in her blood sugar numbers were mixed, but good enough for me to keep this going for way too long and place way too much blame on myself for every reading that was too high, since obviously I was controlling every bite of food she ate.

The straw that broke the camel's back was when he told me to cut out nightshades. I couldn't do it anymore. That was it. I still remember the incredible relief I felt feeding her a Cliff bar for the first time in forever. There are a lot of good dietary habits to get into if you're diabetic, but that was just too much. And a year of my life I'll never get back. Plus probably 10 pounds I'll never lose from binging on cookie dough every night to deal with the stress!

• Like 5

Never in the history of the world has anyone been cured of HIV by drinking raw milk, and if someone who sells raw milk makes that claim, that is fraud, and it's against the law. The person is not just sharing a friendly anecdote.

Well, I didn't hear it, so I cannot evaluate whether actionable claims were made. I just tend to give people the benefit of the doubt until I have incontrovertible evidence to the contrary.

You do realize that would be extremely dumb of me to do that, right? I have Celiac. Gluten causes me to have extreme stomach pain that feels like my stomach is swelling up and about to explode. Then the diarrhea starts and I am in the bathroom for hours to days depending on how extreme the glutening is (cross contamination vs. eating a piece of bread). Then there are week to months of joint pain, sensitive stomach, exhaustion, and so on. Getting glutened is a BIG deal. In order to test is ACV works I'd have to knowingly ingest gluten. While I wouldn't die, I would be in *bad* shape.

FWIW, my dad does take ACV (along with a slew of other things) for other reasons. It has not helped his Celiac at all. It is simply not something that works for Celiac Disease.

Ok. I would be very reluctant to test anything like this in your situation. But maybe it has helped someone somewhere. I just don't know.

Tonight's Facebook feed brought me, "Even the most aggressive cancers which have metastasized have been reversed with baking soda cancer treatments."

Awesome. I'll get right on that and share with my cancer-suffering friends. 

I'm sitting here racking my brain as to what possible scientific mechanism could even be given as an explanation. Is it an alkalinity thing? I do think there are health benefits to eating a more alkaline diet, mostly because it is high in produce, nuts, seeds, etc. and limited in meat, dairy, and grains. The pH balancing thing I'm dubious about. But baking soda??????

• Like 1

In addition to a wheat allergy, I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis.  I have heard so many "cures" for this.  My favorite is bee stings.   :confused1:

Bizarrely, this is actually a "real thing" in the sense that it is being researched, rather than just being folklore. Whoever told you about it probably read the same article I did from the BBC. I'm not sure if it was rheumatoid arthritis, but it was a very serious condition where the woman was accidentally stung by a life-threatening number of bees. She chose not to seek treatment for the bee stings and to her surprise eventually recovered and over time found her other symptoms improving. Of course I can't remember what the science behind it was, but there were theories to support it.

I'm definitely not suggesting it's a cure, but I thought it was pretty interesting.

• Like 4

Bizarrely, this is actually a "real thing" in the sense that it is being researched, rather than just being folklore. Whoever told you about it probably read the same article I did from the BBC. I'm not sure if it was rheumatoid arthritis, but it was a very serious condition where the woman was accidentally stung by a life-threatening number of bees. She chose not to seek treatment for the bee stings and to her surprise eventually recovered and over time found her other symptoms improving. Of course I can't remember what the science behind it was, but there were theories to support it.

I'm definitely not suggesting it's a cure, but I thought it was pretty interesting.

How many bees does it take? I think we were stung by about 4 each. *prepares to live forever*.

In response to the larger thread, it is because I believe in alternative treatments that some of the "just do this, it will be fine..." are hard to take. I do think garlic is some sort of magic (when consummed ;))

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

Hugs Rosie. I've been told that my dyslexic daughter justs needs more motivation, that I probably gave all my attention to my older sons and that's why my girl struggles with reading, and a bunch of other crap. One person asked why I didn't just give her a pill for her dyslexia. ??? If only they knew how hard she and I have both worked.

• Like 3

My kid was "cured" of autism by gluten free/casein free.  Or so I am told.

When he was a baby he had severe reflux, which caused damage to his upper airway, and recurrent aspiration pneumonia.  His adoption social worker insisted I had to take him to this nutritionist who had helped your son.  I called, mainly because I didn't want to rock the boat with the person who got to decide whether he stayed with me. 

All she had available was a phone consultation, which went something like this:

Her: You need to go gluten free and casein free, it's been shown to cure all autism symptoms.

Me: That's great, but he doesn't have autism symptoms.  He has recurrent pneumonia, asthma, and reflux.

Her: Recurrent ear infections can be a symptom of autism.  There are studies.  The fact that he has recurrent ear infections means that he probably has autism.

Me: He's had 1 ear infection in 12 months.  I thought that was pretty average.

Her: He's probably had more, kids with autism don't express pain, so their ear infections go undiagnosed.  

Me: We're at the doctor once a week for something, they all check his ears.  I'm doing thing he has recurrent undiagnosed ear infections.  He's got asthma, reflux, and pneumonias.  

Her: Well, he probably has a family history of ear infections.  How many ear infections have you had?

Me: A few, but he's adopted.  There is nothing in his file that would tell me if his birth mom had ear infections.

Her: Oh, well if he's adopted it's certainly autism.  I mean his mother gave him.  See, no empathy?  That's an autism symptom.  And she probably had ear infections . . . . 

. . . 

She finally gave up on the ear infections and moved to the fact that he didn't talk, because not talking is a symptom of autism.  I conceded that sometimes it can be, but in his case I thought it was a symptom of being 11 months old.  She told me that until kids can talk, particularly kids with ear infections you shouldn't rule out autism, because it's probably there.

. . . 

A few months later we had a follow up conversation.  I reported that the diet she prescribed had caused projectile vomiting, so we had stopped after 3 days, and that he had started talking, had no more ear infections, and had no symptoms of autism.  She pronounced him "cured".  

So, any of you who have babies who don't talk, who either do or don't have ear infections, I highly recommend you get them cured of autism.

• Like 18

Daria

..love your story. As a foster and adoptive parent it rings way too true.

I am glad you cured his autism and ear infections and he is he talking. I bet he is waking too. :-)

In the interest of full disclosure, he was seeing an SLP feeding therapist at the time, who was pretty sure she cured his "not talking".

At his IFSP when he was 15 months old (like an IEP for babies) she kept going on about how she, all alone, took him from "completely non-verbal" to "completely age appropriate vocabulary" in just six months, and how this was UNHEARD of for a child to make so much progress.  In layman's term, this meant that between 9 and 15 months he went from babbling to saying a handful of words.  I don't think that's uncommon.  I didn't have the heart to tell her that it was really the gluten free diet he was on for 3 full days.    

• Like 14

Well, I didn't hear it, so I cannot evaluate whether actionable claims were made. I just tend to give people the benefit of the doubt until I have incontrovertible evidence to the contrary.

See, I go the opposite direction. I start with the incontrovertible evidence, and then branch out to the new studies. 

Ok. I would be very reluctant to test anything like this in your situation. But maybe it has helped someone somewhere. I just don't know.

Oh, I can tell you. No one. ACV has helped NO ONE with celiac disease.  

Want to know what is being studied by real scientists/doctors? Different types of treatment such as this pill and on the cutting edge of being studied are hookworms. So see? The medical community really does study 'natural' methods for treatment and/or cure of diseases. They just look for results that hold up under scrutiny of the scientific method, and don't go off anecdotal evidence....if one can call that evidence. 

And just in case someone was wondering yes I absolutely would do a hookworm treatment if it meant being able to eat at my family's reunion BBQ tomorrow without stressing about getting sick. Cause that kind of puts a damper on the whole affair. 

• Like 9

It might be the same article.  She said that it would require a lot of bee stings (hundreds or thousands?).  I said "No, thank you."

I'm not completely against thinking outside the box, but this seemed a bit too bizarre for me.

And this is where "Big Pharma" comes in. If this turns out to be a viable treatment, there will be research into the exact amount(s) needed. Pharmaceutical companies might even find a way to synthesize bee venom so that no actual bees will need to be harmed. They will be regulated by the FDA (unlike Big Supplement) and there will be strict standards for consistency so that anyone who takes, say 10 mg., will know they are getting 10 mg. (no more, no less).

Pharmaceutical companies certainly deserve some of the derision they get, but people often ignore the good that comes from them. And from the FDA.

• Like 7

I am someone who gets a major headache from eating wheat so I avoid it but have cheated knowing full well I'll suffer. But I don't go around advertising that fact to people and have never ever claimed to have Celiac. I also don't mention it at restaurants. Having a son with severe food allergies I don't ever want to make people think "a little is ok." He's my priority.

• Like 2

I'm sitting here racking my brain as to what possible scientific mechanism could even be given as an explanation. Is it an alkalinity thing? I do think there are health benefits to eating a more alkaline diet, mostly because it is high in produce, nuts, seeds, etc. and limited in meat, dairy, and grains. The pH balancing thing I'm dubious about. But baking soda??????

Here ya go:

http://wellnessfort.com/oncologists-dont-like-baking-soda-cancer-treatment-because-its-too-effective-and-too-cheap/

A little light on what the possible scientific mechanism could be. Because oncologists don't like it, that should be proof enough, right?!?

In the interest of full disclosure, he was seeing an SLP feeding therapist at the time, who was pretty sure she cured his "not talking".

At his IFSP when he was 15 months old (like an IEP for babies) she kept going on about how she, all alone, took him from "completely non-verbal" to "completely age appropriate vocabulary" in just six months, and how this was UNHEARD of for a child to make so much progress.  In layman's term, this meant that between 9 and 15 months he went from babbling to saying a handful of words.  I don't think that's uncommon.  I didn't have the heart to tell her that it was really the gluten free diet he was on for 3 full days.    

This made me laugh out loud.

I cured my baby of not talking by breastfeeding after a glass of wine, and driving her to her sister's pre-school every day for a year. I highly recommend it.

EDIT: A lot of people liked this but I realized I did not make it clear that those two treatments were not administered in order. On the contrary, the driving was in the morning and the breastfeeding and wine were in the evening.

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 8

And this is where "Big Pharma" comes in. If this turns out to be a viable treatment, there will be research into the exact amount(s) needed. Pharmaceutical companies might even find a way to synthesize bee venom so that no actual bees will need to be harmed. They will be regulated by the FDA (unlike Big Supplement) and there will be strict standards for consistency so that anyone who takes, say 10 mg., will know they are getting 10 mg. (no more, no less).

Pharmaceutical companies certainly deserve some of the derision they get, but people often ignore the good that comes from them. And from the FDA.

Big Pharma is sued for billions of dollars on a regular basis due to horrendous outcomes of their latest touted drugs.    You have more faith than I do in their methods and research. 

So what if you get exactly 10 mg of something that causes death or disability - and they know it - but they just take the multiple billions of dollars they can make on the drug before shutting it down, and feigning surprise at the outcome.

I suspect you haven't followed the drug lawsuits very closely.  I actually flew across the country to have a surgeon who knew better than to use a product that is the "gold standard" in current surgeries of the type I had.  Thankfully.  Lots of others were disabled from this gold standard. 

The good that comes from them is not from the lifestyle drug category, but from the antitbiotics and less lucrative drugs.  That's not enough for them. 

The thing is what I described is the type of stuff everyone with Celiac Disease goes through when they have consumed gluten.  If someone was "cured" of Celiac by taking ACV, they didn't have Celiac in the first place.

The woman I was talking to, I had never met before.  The conversation literally went from telling each other our names to her asking me why I was only eating lettuce and salsa.  I explained that I have Celiac Disease and since I wasn't 100% sure the other things didn't contain gluten, I was only eating what I knew to be safe.  She then asked me what Celiac was and I explained.  She asked if I could eat peanuts (yes) or dairy (yes) and I again said it's only gluten and named a few things that contain gluten.  And that's when she told me I could be cured by ingesting apple cider vinegar.  She deserves to be mocked, honestly, and not listened to.  She had never even heard of Celiac before I said I have it.

I have a love/hate relationship with Hobby Celiacs (love that term!).  I love them because it's largely thanks to them that there are so many options for me to eat today.  I always think about what it would've been like if I had actually been properly diagnosed back in the early 90s when I was going from doctor to doctor and test to test trying to figure out what in the world was wrong with me.  I am sure eating gluten free is much easier today.  But I hate them for all the reasons mentioned, particularly people thinking eating a little gluten wouldn't hurt.

• Like 7

I wonder what type of irrefutable evidence there is that raw milk doesn't cure HIV. Is an understanding of viruses and how they work enough evidence?

I mean, it's like saying you can cure conjunctivitis by eating beets. Are you going to go around looking for someone who ate beets and their conjunctivitis went away? Or are you going to accept that there is nothing in beets that would kill the conjunctivitis virus (or bacteria, depending on the type of infection)?

Honestly, with that logic we could go around saying that anything will cure anything and as long as there is someone, somewhere who ate this and recovered from that, are you going to accept it as a causal relationship?

• Like 9

I wonder what type of irrefutable evidence there is that raw milk doesn't cure HIV. Is an understanding of viruses and how they work enough evidence?

I mean, it's like saying you can cure conjunctivitis by eating beets. Are you going to go around looking for someone who ate beets and their conjunctivitis went away? Or are you going to accept that there is nothing in beets that would kill the conjunctivitis virus (or bacteria, depending on the type of infection)?

Honestly, with that logic we could go around saying that anything will cure anything and as long as there is someone, somewhere who ate this and recovered from that, are you going to accept it as a causal relationship?

IME the crowd that accepts such ideas like "raw milk cures HIV" or even "it's possible raw milk could have cured someone's HIV" have very much trouble with correlation and causation generally.

• Like 8