Menu

Duggars are back on TV

Katy

Because these people don't know when to quit. They hold themselves up to a higher standard, repeatedly fall off the pedestal they themselves have erected, choose to ignore it, and continue to flood the airwaves. Also nasty little josh squicks me out. I'm just really over them.

• Like 23

^^^^What she said.

That there is still a market for this malarkey says a lot about our TV viewers. TLC wouldn't be doing this if they hadn't determined there is a market for it. Blech.

Right.   They may be publicity seekers, but apparently plenty of people want to see them.   I gather that some folks watch the show just so they can complain about them! 

• Like 3

Right. They may be publicity seekers, but apparently plenty of people want to see them. I gather that some folks watch the show just so they can complain about them!

I think they are publicity seekers because they are accustomed to the freebies and income and due to their limited educational attainment options, can't make that sort of living from anything but being reality TV fodder.

I have never seen the show, though I have seen clips or commercials incidental to watching something else, and I just don't get the watch people live their mostly scripted or producer prompted "real lives" on TV thing. What the heck is this shizznit? That goes for all families who sell their privacy for "reality" TV. My issue is not really just directed at the Duggars.

• Like 11

I had a huge problem with the senior Duggars exploiting their own children and now I have a huge problem with these younger children living their life on air. It's like they don't know how to function without the money and the lime light. Gross.

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 7

I had a huge problem with the senior Duggars exploiting their own children and now I have a huge problem with these younger children living their life on air. It's live the don't know how to function without the money and the lime light. Gross.

the kids were raised with this - they think it is normal.  they've been pushed to "be a light" by being on tv. 

oh, and the $$ and standard of living it buys is nice too.  especially since they do not seek an actual marketable education that can lead to a comfortable living.

eta: i feel sorry for the kids - but also jb & m squick me out.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 7

Yeah, this has been in the works for a while. And regardless of how blameless the girls are in their own abuse (which they are), there are very good reasons to be against them being on TV. They have a belief system which is dangerous and harmful. And they are mothers who need to learn from their own mother's mistakes and NOT exploit their children for money and fame.

• Like 15

I'd roll my eyes and get on with my life if I knew for sure that the two girls were getting one hundred percent of the money from this. If they used the money to cut ties, I'd even be supportive. But knowing that JimBoob and J'chelle- and the child molester, indirectly- are probably cashing in quite nicely from this makes me ill. 

• Like 21

Because these people don't know when to quit. They hold themselves up to a higher standard, repeatedly fall off the pedestal they themselves have erected, choose to ignore it, and continue to flood the airwaves. Also nasty little josh squicks me out. I'm just really over them.

The daughters didn't do anything.  If people are interested in their lives, why not?  I think they seem like sweet girls, though I have only seen one show some time back. 

Maybe they aim for a higher standard, knowing full well that neither they nor any of us will meet it, but it is good to have standards. 

• Like 4

I think they are publicity seekers because they are accustomed to the freebies and income and due to their limited educational attainment options, can't make that sort of living from anything but being reality TV fodder.

I have never seen the show, though I have seen clips or commercials incidental to watching something else, and I just don't get the watch people live their mostly scripted or producer prompted "real lives" on TV thing. What the heck is this shizznit? That goes for all families who sell their privacy for "reality" TV. My issue is not really just directed at the Duggars.

Hey, they can watch my boring life if they want to pay me a few hundred thousand dollars.  ;)

Not much to see though. 

• Like 2

Hey, they can watch my boring life if they want to pay me a few hundred thousand dollars.  ;)

Not much to see though. 

If informed adults want to live their lives on air 24-7 and people are silly enough to watch, that's totally fine.  It putting minors on screen in a reality series for years on end that skeeves me. 

I am also irritated that JB Duggar is going to profit.

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 12

I'm opposed to this show for the same reason I'm opposed to all reality tv. I've seen Idiocrasy and I'm pretty sure reality tv is inching us in that direction.

Plus, I quite dislike JB and sweet little Michelle.

• Like 10

I'd roll my eyes and get on with my life if I knew for sure that the two girls were getting one hundred percent of the money from this. If they used the money to cut ties, I'd even be supportive. But knowing that JimBoob and J'chelle- and the child molester, indirectly- are probably cashing in quite nicely from this makes me ill. 

this.

The daughters didn't do anything.  If people are interested in their lives, why not?  I think they seem like sweet girls, though I have only seen one show some time back. 

Maybe they aim for a higher standard, knowing full well that neither they nor any of us will meet it, but it is good to have standards. 

if they were seperated from josh, and their parents who HID sleezy josh from authorities and competent treatment - i *might* say okay.  if I saw *evidence* of heathy family boundaries, if they were developing real world skills (tv personalities think they're relevant, they aren't.) . . etc.   I *might* .  . . MIGHT, say, okay.  otherwise, it looks like they're just following mommy dearest M's footsteps and exploiting the next generation.

• Like 4

Hey, they can watch my boring life if they want to pay me a few hundred thousand dollars. ;)

Not much to see though.

There is no price high enough to compensate me for the BS fame and loss of privacy these types of "stars" choose to inflict on themselves. Their lives, their decision but I don't think that being a mediawhore is an actual meaningful occupation.

I'm not for sale. And my kids' privacy sure the heck is not for sale. That's my high standard.

My brother was approached for a special on a different but similar network because of his unusual family composition. There was money offered and the potential for a short test series since the specials are like screen tests. My brother and his husband decided immediately that anything ongoing was a non-starter and on a little bit of reflection that a special was also not a good idea. They were concerned about putting their children in the crosshairs of nut jobs among other things. The initial money wasn't a ton but it is a lot to them (single income family in a HCOL area) and would have helped them finish their yard and some home projects. So it's not like they said no because they have a lot of money or the money was of no consequence. Imagine: people who'd rather live quiet, private, peaceful lives on a moderate income than try to manufacture fame at the expense of their children for a pile of money! Those are strong family values.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 12

Yeah, this has been in the works for a while. And regardless of how blameless the girls are in their own abuse (which they are), there are very good reasons to be against them being on TV. They have a belief system which is dangerous and harmful. And they are mothers who need to learn from their own mother's mistakes and NOT exploit their children for money and fame.

Yup. I saw Jessa's hunger for the paying limelight when she babbled about how she didn't get "that platform to be thankful" for the birth of her baby, which came after the Josh scandal. This was plain ol' envy. Jill got a three hour televised special when her baby was born and Jessa was largely ignored. I even think giving her son that preposterous name was a desparate grab for the attention that Jill had gotten.

• Like 10

There is no price high enough to compensate me for the BS fame and loss of privacy these types of "stars" choose to inflict on themselves. Their lives, their decision but I don't think that being a mediawhore is an actual meaningful occupation.

I'm not for sale. And my kids' privacy sure the heck is not for sale. That's my high standard.

My brother was approached for a special on a different but similar network because of his unusual family composition. There was money offered and the potential for a short test series since the specials are like screen tests. My brother and his husband decided immediately that anything ongoing was a non-starter and on a little bit of reflection that a special was also not a good idea. They were concerned about putting their children in the crosshairs of nut jobs among other things. The initial money wasn't a ton but it is a lot to them (single income family in a HCOL area) and would have helped them finish their yard and some home projects. So it's not like they said no because they have a lot of money or the money was of no consequence. Imagine: people who'd rather live quiet, private, peaceful lives on a moderate income than try to manufacture fame at the expense of their children for a pile of money! Those are strong family values.

Kudos to your brother and his husband for being excellent parents who chose the well being of their children over something that could have otherwise been advantageous to the adults!

There just isn't any good that comes from this kind of home invasion. Children are precious, not hot commodities.

Best wishes to your brother and his family, and I hope they remain out of the crosshairs - well aware of the kinds of nut jobs there are on this planet.

• Like 6

I'm not for sale...but I can be for hire, for a very high price.

The kids are out and almost out of the house, in my case.  No one would watch me putter around, but hey, if they would, I could put hundreds of thousands of dollars to good use. 

I do understand what you are saying about small children, and no way would I want to invade their privacy, nor would I have had the energy or patience for any additional burdens - like filming - in those days. 

I would have to know the scope of what they were offered and the exact obligations under the contract, but I think doing one special might have been a possibility, so long as our exact location was kept private.  It might cover college. 

Yup. I saw Jessa's hunger for the paying limelight when she babbled about how she didn't get "that platform to be thankful" for the birth of her baby, which came after the Josh scandal. This was plain ol' envy. Jill got a three hour televised special when her baby was born and Jessa was largely ignored. I even think giving her son that preposterous name was a desparate grab for the attention that Jill had gotten.

What is the son's name? 

You know what I would LOVE to watch? "Jill Studies Nursing at a Legitimate College" (mainstream Christian or secular). Jessa could be in in too if Jill and Derrick paid her to watch baby Israel.

who was it who said she really wanted to go to NYC? (jinger?) and M squelched her by saying "that's not what she meant".  (before that, I was rather indifferent to the seeming oddness.  after that - I seriously disliked her. I found it controlling - in a very unhealthy manner.)

• Like 2

who was it who said she really wanted to go to NYC? (jinger?) and M squelched her by saying "that's not what she meant". (before that, I was rather indifferent to the seeming oddness. after that - I seriously disliked her. I found it controlling - in a very unhealthy manner.)

Yes, it was Jinger, who apparently just meant she wanted to live near a Walmart because she certainly did not mean THE City! *barf* I hate parents that re-interpret what their grown daughters say they want.

• Like 7

Wonder if they will bring up Jill's little missionary fund and the questionable issues with it?  I wonder if they will control what Ben is allowed to post on IG/twitter.  

I would support a show for them if it was a show on escaping and getting the counseling they needed.  But really, they need to get off of tv and get some help.  

• Like 2

Yes, it was Jinger, who apparently just meant she wanted to live near a Walmart because she certainly did not mean THE City! *barf* I hate parents that re-interpret what their grown daughters say they want.

you're being too polite.  hate is far too mild a term for me.  I utterly loath and  DESPISE that kind of carp - especially from an influential player in a child's life.  then it has gone over the edge and becomes pscyhologically controlling and even (depending upon how often) abusive. I have contempt for parents who do the: you don't mean that, you don't think that, you don't want that, . . . . YES I DO!

I'm hoping it will bring in enough income for each of them to live on and pay for some sort of skills or degree for each of them and then the Duggar phenomenon will fizzle out. And I hope they learn to establish some extended family boundaries.

that would require them to go against all the training they got.  they aren't allowed to get real marketable skills from legitimate educational source. - tthey aren't allowed to ask real questions - they would have to become actual rebels and go against what they've been taught, and risk becoming outcasts from their family.

• Like 1

I'm hoping it will bring in enough income for each of them to live on and pay for some sort of skills or degree for each of them and then the Duggar phenomenon will fizzle out. And I hope they learn to establish some extended family boundaries.

I don't get the impression that's something either of the older daughters is interested in.
  • Like 4

I feel this family just needs quiet. I loved and regularly watched the show, but I find this very unwise for the whole family.

My first thought honestly was is this wise for Jill as a missionary in an area that has been unsafe to disclose? I know most missionaries would be advised to not do this. As well as missions work is very demanding on all areas of life. But they seem to just be doing their own thing without much from an organization or authority.

It makes no sense. What if Kim Kardasian came out and said she won't allow her daughter to be educated beyond a few select high school courses and won't allow her out of their sight until her wedding night which will hopefully be before her 20th birthday?? It would be on the news and labeled as abuse. But so many give the Duggars a pass? Because Michelle smiles a lot? Because they are only so controlling out of love?? Why is this controlling cult given such a platform??

• Like 15

It makes no sense. What if Kim Kardasian came out and said she won't allow her daughter to be educated beyond a few select high school courses and won't allow her out of their sight until her wedding night which will hopefully be before her 20th birthday?? It would be on the news and labeled as abuse. But so many give the Duggars a pass? Because Michelle smiles a lot? Because they are only so controlling out of love?? Why is this controlling cult given such a platform??

then again - they go in for such over the top in your face that is nearly impossible to avoid, it might be refreshing to see LESS of them . . . .

I have no dog in this fight, but I'm not sure what you're getting at here.  It's not like the K education situation is exemplary or anything.  Didn't the younger ones basically drop out of high school?  I'm embarrassed that I know that little sliver.  I mean, it's so much more acceptable to go their "career" route?

I'd rather have neither, TBH. But whatever.

• Like 2

I have no dog in this fight, but I'm not sure what you're getting at here. It's not like the K education situation is exemplary or anything. Didn't the younger ones basically drop out of high school? I'm embarrassed that I know that little sliver. I mean, it's so much more acceptable to go their "career" route?

At least the K girls got to choose (very well paying) careers and their own partners. Yes, they were also exploited as minors, and have seemingly opposite morals as the D family, but if I had to choose between the two options, I'd have to go with the K family every time. My children have the right to choose their own life path. Edited by fraidycat

I agree, but I assume it was a pretty lucrative gig so they might just need (or want) the money.

Not saying that makes it better or good.  All those shows are kinda cheesy anyway. 

I have no dog in this fight, but I'm not sure what you're getting at here.  It's not like the K education situation is exemplary or anything.  Didn't the younger ones basically drop out of high school?  I'm embarrassed that I know that little sliver.  I mean, it's so much more acceptable to go their "career" route?

Eldest Kardashian sister Kourtney and Rob both have degrees from USC or UCLA (can't remember which.)

Kim graduated from I want to say a Catholic high school.

Kendall/Kendell? not sure of spelling either graduated from high school or was homeschooled.  Kylie was homeschooled for most of high school due to bullying (or so she said.)  Not sure we can snark on her being homeschooled. ;)  I'm sure her Mom hired a tutor or something.

Yes, I know way too much.  I do not see their parents negating educating or not being supportive of higher education, career training, etc.   The same cannot be said for the Duggars.  (Although The Bates family seems to allow higher education (although limited to small Christian colleges.)

I take a lot of issues with the Kardashians, but I have to admit that I admire how Kris has made them such a close family....so supportive of each other.  I really hope my kids grow up that way.

The Duggars, it can be argued, belong to a cult.  I'm not sure the same can be said about the Kardashians. 

• Like 1

At least the K girls got to choose (very well paying) careers and their own partners. Yes, they were also exploited as minors, and have seemingly opposite morals as the D family, but if I had to choose between the two options, I'd have to go with the K family every time. My children have the right to choose their own life path.

so- how was momma K releaseing her dd's s3x tape to the media allowing her dd a choice?

• Like 1

At what point does limiting our children to protect them from the big bad in the world become abuse?

As much as I dislike the duggar parents, I wouldn't call their

treatment of their older kids abuse. Controlling dysfunction, definitely. But they (as far as I know) haven't locked them up in their rooms, withheld important papers, or anything like that. The kids seem to freely go along with everything.