Menu

What are you doing for 9th grade?

1.0 World Geography and Cultures (Glencoe)

0.5 Earth Science (Holt)

0.5 Environmental Science (Holt)

1.0 Algebra 1 (Prentice Hall) & likely begin geometry

1.0 9th grade Lit & Comp (Prentice Hall text + Essentials in Writing 9)

0.5 American Civics (Holt)

0.5 Health (Glencoe)

0.5 Psychology (Holt text + Great Courses lectures)

0.5 British Art Survey (Meet the Masters + DVD for Sister Wendy's Odyssey)

Plus, he will be join teams for Battle of the Books and chess. And maybe bowling?

Oh! I had to come back and add that he is going on a school trip to England and Scotland at the end of the school year, and he will get some credit for that.

Edited by ondreeuh
  • Like 3

I have two heading into 9th next year...  very, very different kids:

For A:

AoPS PreCalculus (book only)

French I - still looking for a good online provider

either Biology or Chemistry at the CC

AP Psychology (finishing - she started this year but wasn't ready to test)

Web Development

English Literature - great books

maybe an animation related elective?

extracurriculars, figure skating, teaching skating, volunteering with the elderly

For D:

AoPS Algebra I (book only)

English - Creative Writing

Psychology

Music - Voice

Performance Arts - Acting

Skilled Trades - Carpentry & woodworking apprenticeship

extracurriculars, volunteering for political campaigns

(note that she is not college-bound; she is planning a career in the skilled trades)

• Like 2

Living in Belgium, following the languages track, without transcript issues (exit exams in grade 12)

Our 9th grade will look / is looking like this:

Latin III

Greek: Athenaze I

Dutch: Literature & History of Literature

English: IGCSE Literature (w/o exam), Bravewriter course, maybe some grammar/idiom

French III: C'est bien ca + Jardin des Lettres / Terre des Lettres

German: Na Klar 2 + reading books

Math: Finishing AoPS Intro to Algebra

Science: BJU Physical Science, M&L Biology, IGCSE Chemistry

History: MOH

Geography: Finishing IGCSE Geography+ IGCSE Global Issues (w/o exam) starting space & earth science

Attending Folkdancing, Choir, Academy for fine arts.

Homemade background projects around the performances we will visit.

Still thinking about the Logic/Rethoric part.

• Like 2

Some of this is still subject to change:

Geometry - Jacobs

Physics - Clover Ceek Physics

Rhetoric I - WTMA

Ancient Literature 

Ancient History

Spanish I (He has decided on no more Latin.)

Computer elective at co-op

My hardest decision is deciding which classes to take online. He has 3 this year and wants no more than that.

• Like 1

• SCM Early Modern History--.5 world history, .5 American history
  • SCM Visits to North America--.25 geography credit (I'll count this as a full credit after 4 years)
  • Apologia Physical Science--1 science credit
  • English--SCM Literature selections (Hobbit/LOTR, Innocence of Father Brown, Where the Red Fern Grows), Beyond the Book Report seasons 1 & 2, possibly Our Mother Tongue if I feel she needs more grammar, English From the Roots Up--1 English credit total
  • MUS--I'm hoping to get to Algebra, but she may only get through Pre-Algebra next year.  My goal is for her to make it through Algebra II and possibly add statistics or MUS's Stewardship course for 12th grade.
  • Foreign Language-- Visual Latin 1, Rosetta Stone Spanish
  • Piano lessons for music performance credit (1 or .5 credit, we may log practice time & lesson time for this credit)
  • Artistic Pursuits--1 art studio credit
  • Harmony Fine Arts-- will eventually be a full art appreciation credit (and possible music appreciation credit) at the end of 4 years.
  • Bible--I have no idea how many credits this will work out too
  • PE--I plan on having her keep a physical activity log to track credits here.  I'm thinking swimming, biking, treadmill, trampoline, fishing/canoeing, etc.  Basically anything active she does!

We are CM homeschoolers and I plan on continuing with our "morning time" subjects I may come up with additional credits at the end of 4 years if any of these add up to an additional credit or .5 credit.  Some will probably just count towards her other credits.  Shakespeare for English, Folksong for music appreciation, picture study for art appreciation, nature study for science, etc.

I'm updating my plans.  I ordered Beyond the Book Report Season 1, and there is no way this will work for DD's 9th grade year.  I'm going to have my 6th grader go through it instead, since I think he'd do well with it.  DD needs much more "hand holding" than what BtBR contains.  I just ordered WWS 1 and it looks perfect for her!  She'll also be using Killgallon Sentences for Middle School.  I'm still working on her plan for Bible...I may just add 2-3 theology books to her reading list and have her continue participating in family devotions.  I'm also adding Physics 101 DVDs and Thames & Kosmos Physics Workshop so we can have some "family science" time (my younger DC are using Christian Kids Explore Physics).  

• Like 1

I have been missing from the board for a couple years, but came back to discuss starting 9th next year! I will be reading everyone's on the thread soon.  But here is what I have worked out for next year so far, after spending the last couple of weeks looking through WTM and other places:

Algebra I, so far we are using Lials and a bit of Kahn Academy.  We are taking this slowly, so will just continue it through next year.

Chemistry at co-op.  I haven't heard what text yet.

Henle II with the Memoria Press lesson plans.  They break it down really nicely.

Traditional logic, if all goes well, I and II

L.A stuffs: Finish 8th grade R&S English and spelling.  I'd like her to work through WWS a bit more, before 10th when I want to start the Rhetoric study and writing as laid out in WTM. The plan will be this summer to work through WWS exercises when her co-op classes have ended.

The rest is planned exactly as laid out in WTM:

Great books and history using the exact resources from WTM as they never fail me: The Well Educated Mind, The History of the Ancient World, the history timeline book and other history reference mentioned, and the Well Trained Mind's book lists for starters.   (the names are not on the tip of my tongue.)

Art using the Annotated Mona Lisa and a co-op class for skills.

I am in the process of looking for a debate club.  She takes a PE class once a week and dance several days a week and is still a girl scout, though her plans for high school will be to cut back a lot of scout activity focusing on her Gold award and occasional field trips and camping. 

Edited by 2_girls_mommy
  • Like 1

It's a work in progress, but...

Twin A:

Latin 2 (Lukeion)

Greek 1 (Lukeion)

Spanish 2 (Avancemos, tutor)

Geometry (TBD)

Literature (Muse and Re-loosed Lukeion)

Ancient History (Great Courses, etc)

Biology (TBD)

Twin B:

French 1 (Bien Dit, tutor)

Arabic?!! (She wants to, but I'm not sure how, or if she's capable of doing two languages)

Algebra 1 (CLE)

Biology (TBD)

They both also volunteer four hours a week, participate in Odyssey of the Mind, and ice skate.

• Like 2

I don't know if Dd12 will be doing 8th or 9th grade next year. I probably won't know which it was for a couple of years. I'd like it to be worth high school credit in case.

Math: Finish AoPS Intro to Algebra and do Jacobs Geometry.

Science: Apologia Biology

Latin: continue our slow progress through Wheelock's

Foreign Language: Spanish I, but I'm not sure which curriculum

Logic: Traditional Logic

Geography: I'd like to do AP Human Geography, but I don't know where to start with that. I need to spend some time figuring high school things out.

History/Literature (2 credits): TOG Year 2, R level, with Lively Art of Writing

If I decide to make this 9th grade, should I include anything else? PE? Music?

She does Civil Air Patrol, TKD (typically 5+ hours per week), and piano, but I would like to eventually list those as extracurricular activities and not classes.

She will be doing Mapping the World with Art, Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings with the family, and various other things with the other kids.

Hi, MW -- :seeya:

https://www.brightideaspress.com/shop/north-star-geography/

https://www.brightideaspress.com/shop/north-star-geography-online-class/

Maybe that?

For 9th grade, I think you'd want about 6-8 credits? So...

Math = 1 credit

Science = 1 credit

Latin = .5 credit (if you're going at a slower than usual pace, otherwise 1 credit?)

Spanish = .5 credit or 1 credit (depending on the course and time invested)

Logic = 1 credit

Geography (possibly North Star + Mapping the World) = 1 credit

Humanities (Composition, Literature & History) = 2 credits

P.E. (TKD + CAP) = 1 credit?

TOTAL = 7 or 8 (or 9 or 10) credits, depending on how you pace the language(s) and whether or not you include the PE and/or music/art as credits

P.E.

Does it depend on your state, whether or not you have to list something as a PE credit? If so (if PE has to be on the transcript all 4 years and she doesn't have time for more physical activity), then you might want to list the TKD & CAP as her PE, instead of as an EA.

Art/Music

Maybe .5 credit for Mapping... Art (not sure if it's "artsy" enough, or better linked with the Human Geo course) + .5 credit for Piano? For one full credit for Fine Arts?

Humanities/Composition/Literature/History

TOG Yr 2 + LAW + LLtLotR -- Why not make LLtLotR a separate English credit ("Introduction to Literary Analysis")? I think you have enough for three credits here???

I agree, though, you'd have enough credits with the core subjects to not have to list everything as a credit (unless your state requires a PE and/or Fine Arts credit).

Have fun with high school! ;) I'm not nervous here (yet).

• Like 2

Here's ours:

Geometry: A Guided Inquiry

MFW world history and Lit and Bible

Apologia Biology *update: Chemistry (doing modified Bio over summer per his request)

Breaking the Spanish Barrier finish level 1&2

Piano

The visual instructor for art. He is working through the videos that interest him.

Kristen

Edited by 5sons
  • Like 1

It's a work in progress, but...

Twin A:

Latin 2 (Lukeion)

Greek 1 (Lukeion)

Spanish 2 (Avancemos, tutor)

Geometry (TBD)

Biology (TBD)

Twin B:

French 1 (Bien Dit, tutor)

Arabic?!! (She wants to, but I'm not sure how, or if she's capable of doing two languages)

Algebra 1 (CLE)

Biology (TBD)

They both also volunteer four hours a week, participate in Odyssey of the Mind, and ice skate.

How do you like Avancemos? I'm still looking for Spanish for next year.  I wish I could look through a bunch of books without buying them all. It feels like I'm going to end up buying a pig in a poke.

• Like 1

Hi, MW -- :seeya:

https://www.brightideaspress.com/shop/north-star-geography/

https://www.brightideaspress.com/shop/north-star-geography-online-class/

Maybe that?

For 9th grade, I think you'd want about 6-8 credits? So...

Math = 1 credit

Science = 1 credit

Latin = .5 credit (if you're going at a slower than usual pace, otherwise 1 credit?)

Spanish = .5 credit or 1 credit (depending on the course and time invested)

Logic = 1 credit

Geography (possibly North Star + Mapping the World) = 1 credit

Humanities (Composition, Literature & History) = 2 credits

P.E. (TKD + CAP) = 1 credit?

TOTAL = 7 or 8 (or 9 or 10) credits, depending on how you pace the language(s) and whether or not you include the PE and/or music/art as credits

P.E.

Does it depend on your state, whether or not you have to list something as a PE credit? If so (if PE has to be on the transcript all 4 years and she doesn't have time for more physical activity), then you might want to list the TKD & CAP as her PE, instead of as an EA.

Art/Music

Maybe .5 credit for Mapping... Art (not sure if it's "artsy" enough, or better linked with the Human Geo course) + .5 credit for Piano? For one full credit for Fine Arts?

Humanities/Composition/Literature/History

TOG Yr 2 + LAW + LLtLotR -- Why not make LLtLotR a separate English credit ("Introduction to Literary Analysis")? I think you have enough for three credits here???

I agree, though, you'd have enough credits with the core subjects to not have to list everything as a credit (unless your state requires a PE and/or Fine Arts credit).

Have fun with high school! ;) I'm not nervous here (yet).

Hi! I'm telling myself next year doesn't have to be high school or I'd be a lot more nervous.

Thank you for the links. I'll look into them. I actually wasn't sure what the PE requirement for Iowa is, so I just looked it up. It says they have to take it for a semester each year, but they only need one credit. So I guess they can fail two semesters of PE? If I figure 30 - 60 hours each year for a 4th-a half of a credit, it wouldn't be a big deal to get time in. That's about an hour or two each week, which she would get in by riding bike, swimming, basketball, etc. When I looked up PE, I saw this:

* Students must be enrolled in physical education at least 1 semester each year while in high school and complete CPR certification.

In order to be considered on track to graduate in four years, students must meet the following credit requirements each year:
  • 6.0 credits going into Sophomore/10th grade year
  • 12.0 credits going into Junior/11th grade year
  • 18.0 credits going into Senior/12th grade year

Under Iowa law, beginning with the class of 2017, all students must complete coursework in Financial Literacy, Health Literacy, Technology Literacy, and Employability Skills. For a comprehensive list of the courses offered for this requirement, click here.

That was new to me. I'll need to make sure I get each one of those covered somehow without throwing our basic plan off. I don't know where we will be living when she graduates, so I don't want to do a lot of state specific things yet. I did enroll her in a CPR class for April before I read this. She has been getting asked to babysit lately. :blink: She is going to need 1.5 credits of Applied/Fine Arts. That might just kill her. I'm not sure how I'm going to break the news to her.

So, I think it will be:

Math: Jacobs Geometry (while finishing Intro to Algebra or, if she needs it, review the Algebra 1 material)

Science: Apologia Biology

Latin 1: Lukeion (I signed her up for this. It was hard to admit defeat, but I just wasn't getting it done.)

Spanish 1: ??? I don't know which text, but it will be a full credit. I am offering a class for local homeschoolers.

Logic: We compromised on this one. Since she is taking Latin, I am not making her take logic next year.

History and Literature: TOG Yr 2 (2 credits)

2nd Literature: LLLotR + Lively Art of Writing (I like the Intro to Writing Analysis)

Geography: Mapping the World with Art - I think I could go one of two ways with this. I could emphasize the art and add in art history for an art credit or add in the Human Geography for a geography credit. I'll have to talk it over with her.

PE: .25 or .5 credit; Bible: .25

That works out to 8.5 credits. That seems about right? It will be a little heavy on the reading, but she likes that, and she needs more practice with writing.

• Like 2

How do you like Avancemos? I'm still looking for Spanish for next year.  I wish I could look through a bunch of books without buying them all. It feels like I'm going to end up buying a pig in a poke.

I have it but we haven't started it. I'm underwhelmed. The web stuff is cumbersome. It doesn't feel very systematic. I was hoping for something more independent. 

• Like 2

I think I'm finally solidifying our plan.  Maybe. I hope.

1 Saxon Geometry

2 HO Ancients with some undecided additional lit/comp

1.5 Biology, either CK12 or Holt, plus a lab course (all disciplines) through our co-op

1 Breaking the Barrier French

1 Human Geography (AP test to be decided down the line)

.5 Theater (co-op)

I've stayed away from online courses this year b/c I do have reservations about the work load above, plus high school Envirothon study (easily worth a full credit), probable .5 credit Financial Literacy in our co-op (because I'm teaching it!) plus softball for both LL and the high school.  She's interested in other co-op classes, too. And, you know, being a kid.  I haven't told her, but I'm willing to postpone Human Geography and reduce the science load if it becomes too much.

This will be our first year homeschooling high school, so I feel like a nervous newbie all over again.

• Like 1

8th grade has been in public school (where I placed her a year behind...then they bumped her forward in math), but we are returning to homeschool.

9th grade:

Math:  Algebra 2 (Lial's, +Khan Academy as needed)

LA: Hewitt Lightning Literature (Mid-Late 19th American followed by Early-Mid British)

Killgallon Grammar for Middle School (we tried this in 6th and it was a bust, but hoping it will work better for her now as her skills have greatly improved) & possibly Use It Don't Lose It 9

Wordly Wise 9

SS: Notgrass Exploring Government / Money Matters for Teens

Sci: Apologia Biology (outside class)

Electives: (unschooling this portion...she just records time spent, but these are the suggested activities...we'll replace if we find a coop to join)

CLE Home Economics, Rosetta Stone French, Spanish for Children, PE (dance videos, jump rope and other approved activities), First Form Latin (started previously and she hated...listing it as an option but doubtful she'll bite), Thinking Skills (Building Thinking Skills) & Study Skills (online links), Equine Science & Work Experience

• Like 1

No - 1 English credit consists of Literature and Composition plus whatever grammar instruction is still needed 

I always wonder about this since some hs programs have two "English" classes freshman year, lit and grammar/comp. My dd's private school has a  required one semester course that is just comp.

• Like 1

Ok, we pretty massively overhauled our plans this weekend, both what we'll do and how we'll structure our days, what we'll count and how, etc.  We're going to start 9th grade on April 1, because we're taking a long vacation for all of August and June and July will be fully booked with Theater and Horseback riding camps.  Essentially we've shrunk history some more, split literature between Theater Arts and Great Books, fit the massive amount of time that she spends on Theater into a full-fledged credit, and created space in the schedule for lots of creative writing.  We're going to try a more-or-less 4 day/45 week schedule, with much of the "extra" day spent on creative writing. So here's how the credits will look:

Algebra 1/2 - Videotext (1)

English/Rhetoric & Composition (1)

Theater Arts: Analysis & Performance (1)

Great Books: Ancient History & Literature (1)

Field Biology w/ lab: Ecology, Evolution and the Natural History of California (1)

Spanish 2 (1, but spills over into both summers, so not quite at full pace)

Integrated Health & Fitness/PE (.5)

Elective: Creative Writing (.5-1 credit based on time spent)

At 13 1/2, dd is starting to feel her oats a little, and have more definite opinions about what she does and how she does it. Which I really welcome, but it took a little adjusting.  We had a really intense conversation yesterday about what is actually required to graduate high school and be prepared for college, and how to tailor classes so we can check boxes but also support her interests. The main interests are free time to write, and lots of theater. 

I also had to figure out how to diplomatically share that although I have great confidence in her ultimate success as a writer, "Writing a novel at 14 that is so awesome that publishers immediately award a lucrative contract for a 7-book series" while a great dream, is a life plan that may require a back-up!  :D

• Like 6

This is what we're looking at:

1 AP Human Geography. We're really excited about this.

1 Geometry. I really want to outsource, but am having time zone problems. We live overseas right now, but are moving back to the US this summer, no idea where, and we're job hunting overseas so we may not be in the US long.

1 Conceptual Physics

1 English Lit/comp: finish WWS2, some Killgallon, Rod and Staff, and World Lit, which I'm having a hard time narrowing down to a manageable level.

1 Japanese II

1 Logic/Critical Thinking/Study Skills/Test Prep.

1 Swimming/PE/Health? Or maybe .5 since we might wait and do the health with Biology.

.5 Fine arts: Piano/Theatre/Art. I think. Because of the move I'm not sure what will be available to us.

• Like 1

We'll have our third freshman next year - SO fun!  

Biology with lab at our homeschool group

English 1 - Essay writing with Ancient Literature

World History - this is a change-up from us from just studying the Ancient time period during 9th grade.

Algebra I

Finish Barton with her

She is trying to decide whether or not to do Mock this year like DS.  She is going with me next to Regionals to see if she likes it.  If so, we will count those hours as well.  I'm keeping 9th grade simple this time around.  I consider it a foundational year to jumping off into the deep.  

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

My youngest is now 9th grade but we're kind of open ended about it since she's not interested in college right now so (a 3-5 year plan).  Here's what she's doing:

East Asian History

General Math leading into Pre-algebra

Biology w/added health topics

East Asian folklore and mythology

Japanese

Asian art history

Music appreciation

Violin both private and group lessons, maybe orchestra too?

Art--mainly drawing but she wants to try oils as well.

I think that's about it.  Her primary focus is art and secondary is music.  I'm trying to hit all the bases if she decides on college but still follow her interests.  

I have two heading into 9th next year...  very, very different kids:

For A:

French I - still looking for a good online provider

either Biology or Chemistry at the CC

AP Psychology (finishing - she started this year but wasn't ready to test)

Web Development

maybe an animation related elective?

extracurriculars, figure skating, teaching skating, volunteering with the elderly

For D:

English - Creative Writing

Psychology

Music - Voice

(note that she is not college-bound; she is planning a career in the skilled trades)

How things can change in 6 months... now it looks like:

For A, who has now decided she wants an accounting certificate from the CC:

Spanish I

Financial Accounting - from ProfessorinaBox

Excel and Access (from the CC)

AP MicroEconomics

Ceramics

extracurriculars, figure skating, teaching skating, volunteering at the local arts center

For D:

English - Creative Writing, from Gotham Writers online

Animation

Chinese I (Cantonese)

Music - Voice

Ok, we pretty massively overhauled our plans this weekend, both what we'll do and how we'll structure our days, what we'll count and how, etc.  We're going to start 9th grade on April 1, because we're taking a long vacation for all of August and June and July will be fully booked with Theater and Horseback riding camps.  Essentially we've shrunk history some more, split literature between Theater Arts and Great Books, fit the massive amount of time that she spends on Theater into a full-fledged credit, and created space in the schedule for lots of creative writing.  We're going to try a more-or-less 4 day/45 week schedule, with much of the "extra" day spent on creative writing. So here's how the credits will look:

Algebra 1/2 - Videotext (1)

English/Rhetoric & Composition (1)

Theater Arts: Analysis & Performance (1)

Great Books: Ancient History & Literature (1)

Field Biology w/ lab: Ecology, Evolution and the Natural History of California (1)

Spanish 2 (1, but spills over into both summers, so not quite at full pace)

Integrated Health & Fitness/PE (.5)

Elective: Creative Writing (.5-1 credit based on time spent)

At 13 1/2, dd is starting to feel her oats a little, and have more definite opinions about what she does and how she does it. Which I really welcome, but it took a little adjusting.  We had a really intense conversation yesterday about what is actually required to graduate high school and be prepared for college, and how to tailor classes so we can check boxes but also support her interests. The main interests are free time to write, and lots of theater. 

I also had to figure out how to diplomatically share that although I have great confidence in her ultimate success as a writer, "Writing a novel at 14 that is so awesome that publishers immediately award a lucrative contract for a 7-book series" while a great dream, is a life plan that may require a back-up!  :D

The plot thickens, and the plans get modified again . . . we're now decoupling English and History, somewhat, and beefing up the theater and creative writing components, and dropping IHF.  So *now* we're at:

Algebra 2

Spanish 2

Biology 1 (Ecology, Evolution & Natural History)

History - Ancient & Medieval World History

English - Literature & Rhetoric/Composition

Creative Writing

Theater Arts - Greek Drama & Shakespeare

Can you tell which way my kid leans?  :D

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 1

0.5 Earth Science (Holt)

0.5 Health (Glencoe)

Plus, he will be join teams for Battle of the Books and chess. And maybe bowling?

Oh! I had to come back and add that he is going on a school trip to England and Scotland at the end of the school year, and he will get some credit for that.

We are officially underway! I made some small changes.

1.0 Earth Science (Holt)

1.0 English 1 (McDougal-Littell) + WWS 1

1.0 Algebra (Prentice Hall)

0.5 Geometry (Prentice Hall)

0.5 Current Issues (Art of Argument)

0.5 Health (Glencoe)

1.0 PE (tracking hours)

0.5 Civics (class)

0.5 Leadership (class)

1.0 Educational travel (school trip)

We might also squeeze in (if we have time):

0.5 Psychology (Holt)

0.5 Speech & Debate (Argument Builder)

0.5 Culinary (class, online course)

+ Lots of documentaries and Lectures from The Great Courses Plus

Edited by ondreeuh
  • Like 1

I am still figuring things out!  I either have on hand or purchased all the curriculum I need (unless I change my mind), though I have not entirely finalized my plans.  

English 1 combination of Windows to the World, The Elegant Essay, Novels, Grammar, and whatever else I decide to throw in!  This is an easy subject for me to teach.  Still working on a flexible book list.

BJU French 1 

BJU Geography or TOG Ancients

Algebra 1 w/ Jann in Tx, using Lial's

(This is going to accomplish my goal of getting her doing her math for someone else and learning to do careful precise work while I can still easily help out.  I can help her in Algebra 2 as well--but not so easily.  I hope to get her working for someone else so I can outsource Algebra 2 b/c I don't enjoy teaching it!)

Apologia Physical Science (I think.  B/c she has not had a lot of science and I need something that will be get-it-done.  Looking at it again today.)

Still to decide about and up for consideration:

Phys Ed -Ă¢â‚¬â€¹would like to get her back to figure skating and horseback riding, but money and time are issues, so I have to figure out other options.

Piano with private instructor and possible performances, still sorting this out.

Canine Genetics and Reproduction, since she is breeding her dog this spring.

Art - b/c she has some skill and I would like to encourage her

Public Speaking - I want this done either this year or next and she has several speaking opportunities she needs to prepare for.  I need to decide if I want to do something formal this year or not. 

Music History - I have been wanting to get to for several years and I also want it done early in high school

Extracurriculars:

Ă¢â‚¬â€¹Piano may count here, have not decided yet

She works at a dog boarding kennel, grooming and cleaning up

She shows several dogs in agility and showmanship which involves some traveling

4H Vice President

Edited by shanvan
  • Like 1

0.5 Earth Science (Holt)

0.5 Health (Glencoe)

I want to go on his class trip!

Well, our plan has been overhauled a smidge.

Lit & Comp (Horror/Dystopian)- Great Books, Vocab from Classical Roots, AG Review

Algebra 1- Foerster

Biology- Landry Academy Lab Intensive, Campbell 6th edition

German 2- GaVS

History- Mom made reading list, documentaries

Band- Music Coop

Possibly, a 1/2 credit in P.E. and art.

• Like 1

This is what we're looking at:

1 AP Human Geography. We're really excited about this.

1 Geometry. I really want to outsource, but am having time zone problems. We live overseas right now, but are moving back to the US this summer, no idea where, and we're job hunting overseas so we may not be in the US long.

1 Conceptual Physics

1 English Lit/comp: finish WWS2, some Killgallon, Rod and Staff, and World Lit, which I'm having a hard time narrowing down to a manageable level.

1 Japanese II

1 Logic/Critical Thinking/Study Skills/Test Prep.

1 Swimming/PE/Health? Or maybe .5 since we might wait and do the health with Biology.

.5 Fine arts: Piano/Theatre/Art. I think. Because of the move I'm not sure what will be available to us.

What curriculum/books are you using for AP Human Geography?

We are about to begin dd's 9th grade year and I'm still changing, searching, and tweaking...

Math -- This is my unknown (still deciding). Dd completed more than 50% of both Algebra I & Geometry, but needs to finish both before starting on Algebra II later in the school year. Need to change curriculum...

English -- Teaching the Classics, Vocabulary from Classical Roots, Literature from Sonlight

History -- Sonlight Core 100 and lots of "field trips"

Marine Science -- Marine Biology (still deciding curriculum) plus Oceanography from Great Courses *and lots of "field trips"*

French -- French in Action and Breaking the Barrier

Music -- viola lessons, studio class, quartet, orchestra, music theory class, and ear training class

PE -- long bike rides, lap swims, and/or tennis

Well, we have just completed our second week of school, so I suppose that means I have a finalized plan, lol.

Math - Algebra 1 (1 credit)

Social Studies - U.S. History in World Context 1 (1 credit)

Science #1 - Physical Science (1 credit)

Science #2 - Environmental Science (1 credit)

English - English 9 (1 credit)

Classical Studies (.5 credit)

Christian Studies (.5 credit)

Fine Arts - Intro to Drawing (1 credit, at her own pace, will award credit when finished)

Extracurriculars - Piano, choir, community service club

She also wanted to do a Python programming course, so that may get started at some point during the year - perhaps when she finishes her drawing course.

She also wanted to do a Python programming course, so that may get started at some point during the year - perhaps when she finishes her drawing course.

I don't know if you have a plan for this yet, but my DD is taking the AoPS Intro to Python and has absolutely loved it.  FWIW. :)

I am finally at peace with my plans for my dd for next year.

Math - MUS algebra

Language Arts- Essentials in writing and Essentials in literature

World History - using Glencoe World History textbook along with other resources

AP studio Art-drawing - along with outsourced art lessons

Foreign language - Discover Spanish

PE- archery lessons

Music - piano / clarinet lessons and choir

I will not be doing science this year, and focusing more on fine arts and music. I think it will be good for her.

I plan on doing physical science in 10th, Biology in 11th, and Chemistry in 12th.

History I plan on doing Geography in 10th, US History in 11th, and Gov and Ec in 12th.

Math will be Geometry in 10th, Algebra 2 in 11th, and Consumer Math in 12th.

I also plan on doing two more years of Spanish during high school, another year of art, and High School Health.

We will continue her music lessons and anything else she might want to do.

I'm really happy with this plan and so is she :)

Of course, plans have changed up for us.

My dd14 decided to do a self paced online ninth grade year. The result was that she will be done early and will start tenth grade this year as soon as her classes are finished.

9th grade classes are Physical science, Geography, English, Health, and Pre algebra. She will finish these up this next month.

Her 10th grade will be BJU DLO . Her classes will be Algebra 1, world history, Biology, English/lit, Bible, and Spanish 1.

Her interests are in graphic design and coding.

She is also taking clarinet and guitar lessons, along with being in a choir and teaching a kids class at our church.

Her other interests are super heroes and ninja turtles, lol.

Not sure what the next few years will hold. I've learned that life changes and we never know what a year may bring!

• Like 1

I just planned our 9th grade year and ordered those books that I don't have left over from when ds was in 9th grade.

Math - Jacobs Algebra

Science - OM biology with lab

English - Discovering Literature - challenging level through Garlic Press - we'll see how this goes since there are some language LDs in play

also adding in some Analytical Grammar

Logic - Trad. Logic?  We'll see if she is ready for this and will tweak as necessary

OM World Geography

Japanese that I will put together from standard Japanese school texts and a text that I seem to have misplaced and can't recall the name of at the moment.  Can you guess what I will be searching for today? 

PE - probably some credit for the Spartan races and half marathons she is running this year.  Not to mention the training for those races. 

• Like 3

I just planned our 9th grade year and ordered those books that I don't have left over from when ds was in 9th grade.

Japanese that I will put together from standard Japanese school texts and a text that I seem to have misplaced and can't recall the name of at the moment.  Can you guess what I will be searching for today? 

PE - probably some credit for the Spartan races and half marathons she is running this year.  Not to mention the training for those races. 

I am so glad to see I am not the only one doing planning now!

• Like 2

Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings

Exploring Creation with Biology (Jay Wile)

Irasshi Japanese

CLE Sunrise Algebra

You'll notice history is missing. That happened yesterday. We were doing it the WTM way, with the History of the Ancient World, and it turns out, she can't stand it. She loves history, but not the time period (well, not until the Greeks) nor what she perceived as the dry writing style (no offense to SWB, to whom I owe a debt of gratitude for helping to get us this far starting in the first grade). So I am on the look out for another curriculum, still focusing on ancients...or I may just decide to put it together myself. I am doing MOH with my younger two (after two cycles of SOTW, we needed a change), so there is the option of beefing that up (has anyone done that? I'll search the threads after this). She actually did MOH modern times last year for 8th grade and really liked it, but ancients seems too light (even lighter than SOTW). We are in a weekly supplemental homeschool program at our local learning center, so we get history through that as well, and it's chronological, so this year is ancients as well. That's also where she gets some grammar review (she completed AG last year, all in one year, with flying colors), as it covers all subjects. 

If anyone has a high school ancient history curriculum they love, please share about it. Thanks! 

UPDATE: I rummaged through my curriculum archive and discovered Beautiful Feet Ancients. Because we started the junior high version four years ago, I even have most of the books for it, so we are off and running with the senior high version (both versions are in the BF curriculum). She wasn't ready for it then, but it seems to be just right for her now, right on down the literature list, which she finds much more appealing than reading the actual classics from the ancient period. As much as I wanted that for her, I see that she is not ready, and nothing good can come of forcing it. I honestly don't think I would have been ready for the original works (albeit translated) when I was in ninth grade - granted I didn't have the classical-ish homeschool education she has had. Still, I think it has to do with cognitive development as well, and we just aren't there yet, which I actually think is a good thing, because you only have your childhood once! 

Edited by Literary Mom

Posting late, because we just started figuring it all out and like what we're doing.  I completely combined my 9th grader and 8th grader.

Daily:

Visual Latin + whatever that Latin reader is called that goes with it

German (I have a minor in German, so we're all working together on it)

Saxon high school series

Daily literature (currently reading Once and Future King) and read-aloud (currently finishing up Children of Odin)

We are working on one course at a time.  They are almost finished with American Government (I guess half credit).  I have to make this as interactive as possible (these two are very artistic, kinesthetic learners).  They're reading a number of books about government, watching some documentaries, working on the quizzes in Barron's and writing a paper, doing a mock trial, analyzing election issues/presidential candidates and "voting on them", working through one of those You Decide! books together as a group discussion (where you make a ruling on court cases), they toured the US Department of Treasury Mint (an incredible field trip) and we're going to let them spend a week working with my sister in her practice (she's a criminal defense attorney).  The other day, they passed an online US Naturalization Exam with flying colors - Lol.  I accidentally missed "what ocean is on the eastern seaboard of the United States".  My finger accidentally clicked Arctic Ocean!  DOH!  (I probably shouldn't be allowed to teach children)  Anyway, they've been doing this since the end of July and I'm impressed with how much they know (and they're very enthusiastic about it).     

I think a lot of our books and resources are going to be pulled from AO's House of Education and our rabbit trails.  

• Like 2

I too *just* finished last minute planning, as we started last Tuesday after Labor Day. Nothing like jumping into the deep end with your clothes on! After some shuffling, some agonizing over a-g requirements (for entry into UCal schools) and a crash course on the subject, adding 2 late registration classes, withdrawing from one... we are set.

English - IEW Windows to the World / Lightning Lit American Lit / WordlyWise 9 Vocab

Math - WHA Algebra II

Sci - WTM Bio (will take SAT II test at end of yr)

Hist - PAH AP Geography (for AP credit)

Span - Silicon Valley Online High School Span 1&2 (not great but compiles youtube videos, etc and organizes me - plus it's a-g approved)

still have yet to decide on 2 electives... but feeling good that 3 of the 5 are in the a-g approval areas - with english/math able to get a-g approval with SAT Writing or Subject test scores...

Will start a CC elective in the spring - missed the deadline for Fall

• 10 months later...

Olga, I was wondering whether your daughter ended up taking UC placement test in Russian.  I am considering the same for my son next year and would love to hear any feedback you may have. Thank you!

I still have days when I want to register my DD13 in the nearest public school :) Other days are spent trying to figure out how to tackle this whole highschool project.

Current plans:

Math:   continue AOPS. It will probably be Algebra 2. Geometry is halfway done, but I am not sure, I may have her do UC Scouts Geometry or CC HS recovery credit class, which is   individual and has a flexible schedule. This is entirely for UC system,

Science: hopefully Intro to Chemistry in CC. We'll see how it goes and then decide what to do for the spring semester.

History: She is studying US History now. We will probably do a summer semester of US History 1850s - current with an SAT subject in October.

Either Ancients or Ancients/Medieval history, with an SAT subject test at the end of 10-beginning of 11 grade. We may consider an AP, too.

English: Still working on that. Something with studying epics.

French: continue working with the tutor.

Russian: I want her to take the Russian placement test in UC, which will cover the requirement, but I also want to to do something to confirm her French, so either SAT or AP or DE   later. For this year I want to start studying Russian classics in Russian. Probably an analog to a Russian school literature course with less writing.

PE: fencing

Fine Arts: DE art course seems to be the easiest. I will try to enroll her this summer. A 3 credit course can count as a year, right? UC seems to agree :)

• 2 weeks later...

My second high schooler! eek! I am just now finalizing the line up...... busy, busy with family health issues and house renovations..... I seriously need a vacation & sleep! :sleep:

I've been changing my mind on our materials a lot this summer........ I can't really find anything that grabs a hold of me, leaving me to alter everything I get my hands on.

My girls do great with a syllabus on hand..... I'm working on creating a schedule/syllabus for them to keep track of their assignments (and me) and they can use their planners to jot down what they have completed. I plan to check off on it either daily or weekly.....no slacking this year! That's the goal anyway.

Math: Mr. D Algebra I 1 credit

English 9: Power in Your Hands Writing (hopefully finishing the whole book....) 1 credit

Finishing Analytical Grammar (leaving out the diagramming)

(Annotation Lesson)

World Literature (Using lots of different resources: LLATL World, Essential Literary Terms, Glencoe guides, and Sparknotes with a history related booklist)

Vocabulary.com

History: Notgrass Exploring World History-- Took Day 5 Bible lesson out (I've created a schedule to include Earliest Humans/Evolution/Origins before Lesson 1, added Great Course lectures, Crash Course lectures, Map Trek, note-taking, and projects.) We plan to watch documentaries and movies throughout the year! 1 credit

Science: Biology with Fundafunda Academy using the Miller & Levine text 1 credit

Health & PE: Oak Meadow Health Syllabus & KidsHealth Teen website for research 1 credit

Ballroom/Swing Dancing

Spring Track & Field

Electives: Personal Finance (Dave Ramsey) 1/2 credit

7 week Study Skills Course with VHSG 1/4 credit

Volunteer: Horse Therapy Riding Center, Ronald McDonald House (holiday baking)

Spring Driver's Ed 1/2 credit or none (I didn't give older dd credit....maybe I should?)

May add in Auto Upkeep (1/2 credit) in the Spring too..... older dd is taking that class with Dad!

Saving Foreign Language for grades 10-12th

Edited by Murrayshire
  • Like 2