Menu

4th Grade Planning Thread

amyc78

I'm interested to hear how you will wrap up 3rd grade, what your summer plans are and what you are planning for 4th grade in 2016/2017...

I'll go first:

Spring 2016 (3rd grade)-

Finish Abeka LA3

Continue Sonlight LA3 Copywork and Composition Exercises

Continue Phonetic Zoo (with some tweaking)

Finish CLE Math 300

Finish SOTW Vol 1

Classical Conversations Cycle 1

Start some sort of Character Education / Virtues Study (Integrity Time or Our 24 Family Ways)

Read, read, read

Summer 2016

Lots of reading

Lots of outside time

Lots of helping with the new baby

Art Camp

Soccer Camp

Math and Geography games

**I'd like to find something for my husband to do with the kids on the weekends... possibly kitchen science or geocaching

2016/2017

CLE Math 400

Phonetic Zoo

SOTW Vol 2

Classical Conversations Foundations

Classical Conversations Essentials??

Interest-led Science

Integrity Time or Our 24 Family Ways

Books, books, books

Art, soccer, gymnastics, horseback riding, piano and Scouts (not all at the same time)

I've been thinking about next year a lot lately.  Here's what I'm thinking for my soon-to-be 4th graders:

Math: Continue with CLE.  500 for Sam and 400 for the girls.  They'll also continue Prodigy math on the computer and Xtra math.

Bible: We do AWANA and Daddy will probably do some sort of study with them.  This year he is doing Long Story Short.

History: Veritas Press self paced New Testament/Greece & Rome

Geography: Legends and Leagues East

Latin: Latina Christiana but I've been looking at Memoria Press's website and I see things like Ludere Latine and worksheets so I'm not sure what I actually need.  For Prima Latina this year we just had the book and I got the cursive copywork. 

Spelling: All About Spelling Level 4/5

Grammar: First Language Lessons 4

Writing: Heavily leaning toward Treasured Conversations, but also considering W&R or EIW

Literature: I want to have them read more great books and maybe do some study guides with them or something.

Science: I really don't know!  We have done science through My Father's World and then this year we have enjoyed Science in the Beginning. 

Music: Piano lessons, choir

Art:  Classes with a former homeschool mom/art teacher

The Girls: Dance classes, Girl Scouts, Soccer, tennis

The Boy: Tae Kwon Do, Baseball, tennis

Ds9 is an older 3rd grader because he has an early fall birthday, so he is kind of between levels. Next year for 4th, he will be doing something along the lines of:

Saxon 7/6

Rod and Staff English 5

AAS 3/4 (poor guy struggles with spelling so it may just be 3)

Latin for Children A (second half)

Writing & Rhetoric whatever the 4th and 5th books are

Tapestry of Grace Year 2 upper grammar level

VP book list

I'm not sure about science.

I swear I posted this already but possibly that was all in my mind!  Anyhow, here are our 4th grade plans as they stand right now...

ELTL 3 or 4, I haven't decided yet.

Beast Academy - I'm guessing we'll have 3D still left and then move to 4.  

Fix It Grammar book 2 - He likes this, it is quick and painless so I figure a little extra grammar added to ELTL can't hurt.

Spelling by Sound and Structure.  He's doing AAS now and breezing through it but I'd prefer a more independent program for him to allow me more time to work with his younger brother.

Latin - leaning towards GSWL

Pentime 5 cursive

Wayfarers Medieval history combined with IEW Medieval writing theme book

Wayfarers Science which I believe is Anatomy using Quark Chronicles

We'll be trying out a lot of new things (ELTL, Wayfarers, Latin, different spelling) so we'll see how that goes!

• Like 1

At this point, most of our fourth grade plans are just continuing on with the next level of what we're doing this year- it's the first time that has happened!

Finishing up 3rd Grade

Math: Continuing on with Math on the Level

History/Lit: BYL Grade 3

Science: Quark Chronicles Zoology

Language Arts: Finish Sequential Spelling 1, start 2; finish ELTL Level 2

Latin: Lively Latin 1

Art: Home Art Studio 3rd grade

Summer

Playground, playdates, and golf. A little handwriting and the Math on the Level 5-a-days, so he doesn't forget how to write or add.  :001_rolleyes:

We basically take the summers off, because nothing gets done anyway. :)

4th Grade

Math: Continuing on with Math on the Level

History/Lit: BYL Grade 4 

Science: Quark Chronicles- Anatomy and... something else? Either work through the Snap Circuits guide, or try out EEME, I think 

Language Arts: Finish Sequential Spelling 2, start 3; ELTL 3 / Treasured Conversations / Bravewriter's Kidswriter class (one of these or some combination)

Latin: Finish Lively Latin 1, start 2

Art: Home Art Studio 4th grade (or, if I'm being honest, probably finishing up 3rd grade- I'm not great about getting to art!)

3rd grade wrap:

- Math: Finish Right Start D/Start E 

- L/A: Continue reading anything & everything, audio books, Spelling Power, Continue creative writing/journal writing/letter writing

- Music: Continue piano and guitar lessons
- Science/Engineering: Continue local micro-school classes
- Social Studies: Continue with SOTW, Read historical fiction, spontaneous research based on reading, conversations, & travel

- Art: Continue self directed work and classes at local micro-school

- Character Development: Continued chores/playdates/park days/volunteer work

- PE: Soccer, hiking, running, skiing, archery

Summer:

- Math: Check out Beast Academy, Lots of RS math games

- L/A: Continue reading anything & everything, audio books, Spelling Power, Continue creative writing/journal writing/letter writing

- Science/Engineering: spontaneous research based on self directed interest

- Social Studies: Continue with SOTW, Read historical fiction, spontaneous research based on reading, conversations, & travel

- Art: Continue self directed work

- Character Development: Continued chores/playdates/park days/volunteer work, Camping

- PE: Soccer, hiking, running, swimming, archery

4th grade plan:

- Math: Right Start E, then ? G not sure yet

- L/A: Continue reading anything & everything, audio books, Spelling Power, Continue creative writing/journal writing/letter writing, Begin Latin (curricula TBD)

- Science/Engineering: Continue local micro-school classes
- Art: Continue self directed work and classes at local micro-school
- Character Development: Continued chores/playdates/park days/volunteer work
- PE: Soccer, hiking, running, swimming, archery

*edited as there is not RS F :(
Edited by bayareanative

I am in the midst of 4th grade so I can post what I'm doing.

Math- math u see delta/ oak Meadow math 4

Language - FLL4

Writing - EIW

Spelling - SWO D

Handwriting -HWT cursive

Reading - BJU and tons of good books

History -SOTW 1 with activity guide

Science - Real Science 4 kids

Art lessons

Piano lessons

Tinker crate

Edited by Peacefulisle

My 4th grade plan looks like this so far: 

Bible/History/Literature: Sonlight Core E

Sonlight Science E

CLE LA 400

CLE Reading 400

TT 5

IEW and select SL writing assignments

SL notebooking

Maps, Charts, and Graphs

Mindbenders & Critical Thinking

possibly Spanish or Latin for Children

1-Day a week enrichment that includes additional science, history, art, drama, and 2 other electives

Edited by estelleblue
  • Like 1

Here's how we are finishing up 3rd grade:

Starting Beast Academy 4d soon. Then fill out the rest of the year with CWP 4 and/or other interesting problem solving books. I don't want to get ahead of BA's production schedule by doing 5A before fall

Doing part 2 of Treasured conversations

Doing a kitchen/cooking science unit

Hopefully doing something for typing

Finishing up other things in signature

For 4th grade:

BA 5

Part 3 of Treasured conversations plus ??? Not sure what else for writing

Apples and Pears C

American History - probably my own "homemade" plan/reading list similar to what I used with DD at similar age.

Science - maybe Quark chronicles plus other biology related resources

Something for Latin after we finish GSWL

That's what I have so far! :-)

Edited by kirstenhill

So my ds is using items in 2nd/3rd grade level, but I still call him 3rd grade since that's where he'd place according to his age.  For what it's worth, I suspect mild dyslexia and for all intents and purposes, that's how I teach him.

To finish third grade:

Math:

We're about to start CLE 300.  Only a week or two of 210 left.  Hoping to complete 305 before June 30th, but we'll just go until a booklet is done somewhere around there.

Language Arts:

Finish AAR level 3.  Depending on timing, we may or may not start AAR 4, mostly likely it will wait until September.

Finish AAS 3?  Not sure on this.  He's currently only in step 6 and moves approximately 1 step a week, hardly ever less.

Finish FLL 3.  Ha!  This one I'm firm on lol

Finish CAP Fable.  We're going through this fairly slowly, having started in September and are about 3/4 through.  So we'll finish this and maybe move on to Killgallon to finish the year.

Extras:

Finish Ecoutez Parlez 3.  (oral component only)

Finish to chapter 30 of SOTW 3 with lots of Canadian add-ins

Finish at least the Table of Elements in RSO Chemistry, may continue on to Molecules or move in to Nature Study with the arrival of spring

Finish Song School Latin 1 (mostly oral as well, and mostly for my first grader and toddler.  They adore it!)

Finish Apple Press Geography for grades 3/4

Grade Four:

Math:

Finish CLE 310 and move on to CLE 400 until as far as we get

Language Arts:

Not sure at this point if we'll do CAP Narrative 1 or WWE3 or Writing Strands 2 or 3 or something else!

AAR4.  May move on to REWARDS Intermediate after that or just call phonics done - see how it goes

Finish AAS 3 and start AAS 4

FLL 4

Extras:

Contemplating RS4K Physics for science . . . I'd like to do SOME formal physics, but I know that 36 weeks of Chemistry seems like too much this year!  RS4K is only 10-14 weeks :)  Then maybe we can do something else "scientific" for the rest of the year

Finish SOTW 3 with lots of Canadian extras, then do provincial history next spring and take advantage of our awesome historically significant location!

Apple Press maps for grade 4/5?  Not sure . . .

As for languages, also undecided.  Like I said, oldest dd is dyslexic, younger is possibly dyslexic, so languages are not their forte or their passion.  We starting a sign language class next week so we'll see how that goes and make some language decisions based on that.  My (then) 5th grader is required to study a second language so we'll have to choose one of the three:  ASL, Latin or French.  May continue one, two or all three with a their younger siblings who have no such challenges and love SSL.  Might try out French for Children and/or Latin for Children or just tackle Song School Latin 2 depending on who is involved.

• 3 weeks later...

January-May

-Finish up Singapore 3B, move into 4A

-Queen's Language Lessons for Elementary Vol. 1

-BYL Prehistory Unit

-Finish up SOTW, start a 2 month continent/ocean study to reinforce what we know (and to assist DD5)

-BYL Reader list Gr. 3

-Cub Scouts, Homeschool Choir, Awana Bible Club

June-August

-Singapore 4A (1 lessons per week)

-Timed Tests/Fun Apps to work on multiplication fact mastery

-AAS 1 and AAS 2

-BYL Prehistory

-Structured summer reading

-Cub Scout Camps, Weeklong overnight Bible Camp

August-December

-Singapore 4B

-Queen's Language Lessons for Elementary Vol. 1

-AAS 3

-McHenry's The Brain??

-SOTW 2

-Literature List

-Co-op classes: Art and Science
-Cub Scouts, Homeschool Choir, Bible Club

We are doing BYL Gr. 2 in fall - DS has some independent work and supplemental work.

Edited by againstthegrain

First Iteration (I'm sure there will be more)

Math

BA 4, Dreambox

ELA

W&R Fable, Narrative 1

Sequential Spelling

Typing Pal

Recitation/Memorization

Poetics in Morning Basket

Literature in block studies

Science and History/Geography Blocks I'm thinking of trying something new next year that is quasi main lesson-unit study-integrated science, history, and lit. This is very un-classical and very early in planning

- Around the World in 80 Days/Cultural and Political World Geography/futurists and scientific thinking

- Founding of the Nation/Civics

- more to come

PE

Gymnastics

Fine Arts

Composer/musical works and art/artist studies in Morning Basket

Flute

Music Theater

Edited by Targhee

3rd Grade Wrap Up

Math - Strayer Upton first book

LA - Circle Time, Copywork & Dictation, The Sentence Family

Science - Behold & See 3

Spanish - La Clase Divertida 1

Music - Recorder

History is done for the year

Summer

Reading, Camp, Swimming Lessons

4th Grade Plans

Math - Strayer Upton first book (contains two grades)

LA - Circle Time, C&D, Written Narrations

History - A Child's History of the World/A First Book in American History

Science - Apologia? & interest-led

Spanish - La Clase 2

Music - Recorder

I think I'm in denial that my "baby" is going to be in 4th grade!!!  It just cannot be! 

I've been wishy-washy about planning for this, but this is what I *think* will happen next year:

Math:           CLE 400

Grammar:    R&S 4

Spelling:       Building Spelling Skills Spelling Workout E

Writing:         ???  He's doing WWE 3 now.  I don't want to do WWE4, so considered W&R, but don't think that's a good fit.  ??? Thinking EIW4 now...we'll see!

Handwriting:  A Reason for Handwriting

History:         SOTW 3 with American History thrown in (Guesthollow's schedule will be my guide)

Reading:       Mostly Sonlight readers from core D and some WTM suggestions WTM reading

Latin:            Not sure (doing LC1 now, but I don't know if he's ready for FFL, which is the current rec) FFL

Science:       ??????????? Elemental Science Earth Science/Astronomy Grammar Stage

PE:        Plays soccer, tennis, baseball seasonally

Music:   IDK...he wants to take guitar lessons, but I need to find someone

Art:         ???? SOTW activity guide things....??? Artistic Pursuits

Edited by tmstranger

Third Grade Wrap

Math:  Singapore 3B, Timez Attack

Logic:  Logic Countdown

Geography:  Top Secret Adventures, Maps Charts Graphs Book C

History:  SOTW 3 and HITW American Revolution

Language Arts:  AAS 3, Getty Dubay Books C/D, Poetry Memorization, lots of reading, book reports

Latin:  Song School Latin 2

Science:  MP Astronomy

Bible:  Notebooking the Bible, AWANAs

Art:  Artistic Pursuits 3

Computer Science: Server Design I

MP Greek Mythology

Allstar Cheerleading

Summer

Math:  Singapore 3B/4A, Timez Attack

Handwriting:  Getty Dubay D

Latin:  Flash Dash on Headventureland

Computer Science:  Finish Server Design I

Typing

Fourth Grade

Math:  Singapore 4A/B

Logic: Logic Liftoff

Geography:  Maps Charts Graphs Book D, MP States and Capitals

History:  SOTW 3/4, HITW Early 19th Century, The Civil War, The Industrial Revolution

Language Arts:  AAS 4, Getty Dubay Books D/E, CAP Fable (1st Semester), The Most Wonderful Writing Lessons Ever (2nd Semester), Poetry Memorization, Reading and book reports

Latin:  Latin for Children A

Science:  Human Anatomy using a mishmash of materials including Apologia, Blood and Guts, Lyrical Life Science Vol. 3, and a variety of supplements

Bible: Continue note booking and AWANAs

Art:  Artistic Pursuits 3/4

Music:  Homeschool Choir

Allstar Cheerleading

Edited by Tortfeasee

Finishing up 3rd grade:

Outsourced:

TKD (red belt test in March)

Homeschool swim & gym (hopefully passing deep end test before summer camp - he can swim unassisted, but doesn't quite pass the test just yet)

Homeschool science class 4 times in May/June at the science museum - topic is fossils for that series

OT/PT/Speech 2x/week

Language Arts:

Almost done with phonics (Toe by Toe)

Finished Cursive Handwriting (3rd grade program), working on Cursive Success (4th grade program, because he needs to practice more now, not half a year from now)

Just started Daily Word Ladders grades 2-3

Will work on prefixes/suffixes after phinishing phonics (oops, can you guess what we covered in phonics today?)

Really need to get Stuart Little literature unit done soon

Really need to do more writing

Read, read, read

Social Sciences:

Spent two months on prehistory, started SOTW 1 in November, currently finished 12 chapters, hoping to finish SOTW 1 before September (reading a lot of extra materials)

Finish watch documentary series about New York

Finished world mazes, continue playing geography games

Math/science:

Currently in LOF Honey, definitely finish at least Ice Cream & Jelly bean, maybe/probably more

Finish Venn Diagrams workbook

Documentaries (e.g. finish Wild China and Wildest Middle East)

More snap circuits

Go to science museum

Start reading The Way Things Work

Maybe find more stuff on infectious diseases since kids love Pandemic board game, Plague app, and oldest likes the CDC Solve Outbreak app (but needs me to read it to him because it's NOT written at anything remotely near a 3rd grade level)

Summer:

Away to YMCA camp for a week (general outdoorsy stuff, and will get to pick an activity, maybe archery this year? - last year was fishing, don't recall year before that)

Maybe botany/art day camp at botanical gardens for a week?

Will probably rent a cabin somewhere for a few days or a week - kids want to go camping, we're not quite ready to spend $$$ on good camping gear and not really wanting to spend $ on crappy camping gear.

Continue doing some schooly stuff

4th grade:

Probably sign up for homeschool guitar & theater

Probably homeschool swim & gym

TKD

OT/PT/Speech (but only half an hour of OT next year according to OT. :)

Continue LOF wherever we're at, definitely finish Kidneys-Liver-Mineshaft before end of 4th grade

CAP Fable (may start this before September, we'll see - really need to get on top of writing - started doing The Most Wonderful Writing Lessons but it's not happening so either need to make it happen or start CAP Fable or something, anything)

Maybe Zombie-Based Geography

Grammar Rules!

SOTW 2

More science stuff - McHenry's The Brain (if we don't start it sooner), maybe McHenry's Chemistry & Organic Chemistry

Continue reading The Way Things Work? Do Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction? Maybe do a class series or two at nature center (he did the survival one in October)?

The book I have on Greek and Latin word roots but that I can't find right at this moment?

Read, read, read

ETA: and continue Dutch as a foreign language both this year and next (how could I forget).

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

It's good to find this thread, as I am kind of burned out on homeschooling but I know I need to plan. We go year-round, but I am making myself take more frequent 1-week breaks + Fridays off this coming year and writing out a more specific weekly plan so that I stay on track.

This year, we are finishing up SOTW 2. My 3rd grader just finished CLE 400, so he'll start on 500 when it arrives in the mail. He still needs to finish up CLE 400 through the summer and next fall will start CLE 500. I may also add in Beast Academy 3A since I've never done any AoPS curricula with him and would like to switch him to that later on when he's ready for pre-algebra. 

We plan on doing American History starting this summer, as it is so hot and my kids will get into stuff if I don't give them some schoolwork to do. Besides, it doesn't really take much to do an hour or two of academics each morning. I'm hoping to use Sonlight Core D for my spine along with Founders of our Nation, on old American history text.

For writing, I'm going to try Maxwell's Elementary Composition after we finish up WWE Level 3.

For science, we are doing Abeka's 4th grade science right now and will do 5th grade in the fall once we finish. 

For music, we will probably continue doing Opal Wheeler books for music appreciation and piano lessons.

Art - See the Light Art DVD's, Sewing School 2 in the fall (we are doing Sewing School 1 right now and the boys LOVE it).

Edited by mrsduenes06

Spring 2016

Finish: Saxon Math 5/4, BFSU Vol. 2, What's That Bird?, Rod & Staff English 4, SOTW Vol.3, Latina Christiana I, Christian Studies II

Summer 2016

Finish WWE 3 and History of Science Lit Study

4th Grade

Math: Saxon 6/5

Science: BFSU Vol. 3, Book of Astronomy

History/Literature: SOTW Vol. 4, BF Books Modern American & World History Intermediate Lit Study

Language Arts: Rod & Staff English 5, Spelling Power

Latin: First Form Latin.  He'd also like to either start the Greek Alphabet book or start on French.  Not sure about this yet.  Greek Alphabet Book

Other: Christian Studies III (Memoria Press), and The Fallacy Detective

Extra-curriculars: Continue piano lessons, add guitar lessons.  He's started 4-H this year, and he's showing steers and ducks, and doing shooting sports and gardening.  

Edited to add: I just purchased The Writer's Jungle, so we'll be doing some Brave Writer type writing as well.  My DS thinks that the BW Online Nature Journaling class looks really interesting as well.  

Edited by FarmingMomma

Math:  MUS Gamma

Latin: Prima Latina

Language Arts:  ELTL 3

Spelling: R&S Spelling 4

Writing: CC Fable

Handwriting: Cheerful Cursive

Literature:  D'Aulaires' Greek Myths study from MP, Literature Pockets (Caldecott Winners), free reading 

Bible: A Bible History

Science:  CKE Physics, SCM's Outdoor Secrets

History:  Guerber's American history from MP

Geography:  States & Capitals study from Barefoot Meandering

Extras: piano lessons, Harmony Fine Arts 7, morning basket (w/ Read alouds, logic puzzles, art lessons, composer study, etc.)

Edited by Holly

Ok I think we have sort of settled on the following:

History/LA: Write through history, Rick Riordan series, Spelling You See Ancients

Math: Mathematical Reasoning G + Dreambox

Music: Guitar lessons

Science and Art through our ALE

Gymnastics 

Edited because its been a month so of course its different.

Edited by rebcoola

• 4 weeks later...

Third grade wrap up:

We're finished with our curriculum, but still doing math:

BA 3B

We school year round, so starting back soon! We'll go lighter over the summer :)

For 4th grade:

Sonlight core D: history, Bible, lit

MCT Town level

50 States Geography

Noeo Biology 2

Mindbenders

BA 3C,D

Singapore 4A,B

Sequential Spelling 2

Violin

We are finishing up sotw3, behold and see 3, spelling you see, and life of Fred. We are working through artistic pursuits and will continue into the summer.

I don't have things settled yet for next year, but my tentative plans are:

LA: MCT for sure. Haven't decided what for spelling and I may add brave writer partnership; lots of books!

Math: TT4 and maybe LOF

Science: Beautiful Feet Books history of science

History: SOTW4 and AG

Extras: violin lessons, Artistic Pursuits, poetry tea time, logic book from prufrock press, and whatever hand crafts she is interested in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well we have TOTALLY switched gears for our plans for 4th grade next yearĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ Here's the current plan:

Spring: Finish up or continue over the next few weeks: CLE Math 300, Abeka Cursive, Phonetic Zoo, SOTW Vol 1, CC Memory Work, lots of reading and readalouds

Summer: Welcome new baby!! Use Fun Schooling journals from Thinking Tree (kids have LOVED these so far), math facts practice and review all 3 cycles of CC English Grammar memory work in preparation for Essentials. Read read read, local day camps, visit grandparents

2016/2017:

MUS Delta

CC Foundations & Essentials

Phonetic Zoo (?)

Integrated, somewhat interest-led science, art and math co-op day

SOTW Vol 2

Books, books, books

Soccer, gymnastics, horseback riding, maybe Scouts? (not all at the same time)

3rd grade Aug 2015- June 2016: Memoria Press 3A (substitutes: Seton 4 Handwriting, MathMammoth 4; addition: CAP Fable & Narrative1, MCT 1, FL3, Map Skills C, MP Mammals, SOTW 1&2 audio)

4th grade, 2016- 2017:

Latin: First Form Latin

English: Rod & Staff 5, FIG! (alternate)

Math: Singapore Math Std. 4, CWP 3

Spelling: R&S 5 Spelling

Composition: Killgallon Elem(finished), EIW 5

Literature using MP guides: 4A&4M, SOTW 3, MP Poetry

MP Studies: FM of Rome, Christian Studies ll, Geography1, Timeline & Maps Charts&GraphsE

Reading: Daily Reading Practice(finished), WWE 3, CW Homer(only reading analysis)

Science: RS4K Chemistry(finished), RS4KPhysics(finished), RS4K Geology, and MP Insects

Catholic Studies: The Story of the Bible by TAN, Faith & Life 4, The Story of Civilization, Seton 5 Handwriting

Edited by Ambrosia

Starting to think about next year, and here's what I have so far:

Math: BA4 with selections from MM for extra practice + Dreambox, XtraMath, & Process Skills (and she's trying out Prodigy and loving it, so I guess maybe that, too.)

Spelling/Grammar: Logic of English Essentials - we're trying out the 2nd edition with its advanced spelling lists, even though we used Essentials first edition this year. I really like the new layout and expanded content.

Writing: Finish CAP Fable and either move on to Narrative or do some Treasured Conversations

Literature: keeping it simple; we'll discuss our read-alouds (kids choose among a list I select, and it appears they are all-Harry-Potter-all-the-time until we finish the series)

History: VP Self-Paced 1815-Modern

Science: Quark Botany? We've never done formal science, leaning hard on Nature Center classes and interest-led reading and documentaries. I have BFSU. I would like to do BFSU, but Quark Botany probably is more my speed.

Latin: Hahaha another year of thinking we'll start Latin. GSWL?

Misc: Scripture read-aloud & discussion + my homebrew devotions, memory work, piano, swimming

Edited by greyseal

Here's my 4th grade plan for dd2 next year:

Math: Math in Focus (for sure) and I'm thinking about adding in some Beast Academy as well.

Language Arts: Treasured Conversations Part 1 (grammar), W&R Fable and Narrative 1 (writing), K12 Literature (lit), and Modern Speller (spelling). I will also have a required literature list for her to read through but I haven't come up with it yet.

Foreign Language: Continue with Latin (not sure what to use yet after we finish with GSWL) and start Spanish (Getting Started with Spanish)

History: American History (Civil War to present) using Stories of the Americas 2 as a spine and adding in some lit and notebooking

Science: At co-op with nature study at home.

Misc.: Power Hour (Bible, art/music appreciation, memory work, poetry, etc.)

Here's my 4th grade plan for dd2 next year:

Math: Math in Focus (for sure) and I'm thinking about adding in some Beast Academy as well.

Language Arts: Treasured Conversations Part 1 (grammar), W&R Fable and Narrative 1 (writing), K12 Literature (lit), and Modern Speller (spelling). I will also have a required literature list for her to read through but I haven't come up with it yet.

Foreign Language: Continue with Latin (not sure what to use yet after we finish with GSWL) and start Spanish (Getting Started with Spanish)

History: American History (Civil War to present) using Stories of the Americas 2 as a spine and adding in some lit and notebooking

Science: At co-op with nature study at home.

Misc.: Power Hour (Bible, art/music appreciation, memory work, poetry, etc.)

Tell me about Modern Speller? I've never heard of it and I'm interested in possibly switching up spelling next year.

• 3 weeks later...

We have 4 weeks left of 3rd grade, currently doing:

Math: Singapore 5A (started last week)

LA: ELTL 3 (just started 2 weeks ago)

History: Biblioplan Medieval

Science: Creek Edge Press Life Science task cards

4th grade plans:

Math: Finish Singapore 5,start AoPS Prealgebra

LA: ELTL 3, start 4

History: Finish BP, maybe go with Wayfarers for Early Modern

Science: Finish task cards, use Wayfarers science when we start that. Not sure what I'll do in between.

Our new school year starts mid to late June, so summer is a normal school schedule.

We have 4 weeks left of 3rd grade, currently doing:

Math: Singapore 5A (started last week)

LA: ELTL 3 (just started 2 weeks ago)

History: Biblioplan Medieval

Science: Creek Edge Press Life Science task cards

4th grade plans:

Math: Finish Singapore 5,start AoPS Prealgebra

LA: ELTL 3, start 4

History: Finish BP, maybe go with Wayfarers for Early Modern

Science: Finish task cards, use Wayfarers science when we start that. Not sure what I'll do in between.

Our new school year starts mid to late June, so summer is a normal school schedule.

Curious why you are thinking of not using BP for 4th grade after you finish Medieval?

Well, DD9 will be in 4th starting in July and we have 6 weeks left here till we break.

Math: Singapore 3, Menu and Market Math for fun

English: Megawords , Just Write, Group Lit study (american tall tales and writers to go along with our US Hist), Narrations in Sci and History, her own indep reading list with book journal, Outlining books by Remedia

Arabic: Continue homemade study from books picked up back home

Sci: Anatomy, Botany and Zoology as a group (living books and notebooking, spine tbd)

Hist: Us History as a group with History Alive: The United States as a spine and notebooking

Geography: the 50 states notebooking as a group

Extras: Cooking lessons continues, American Govt unit (to go with the elections), One of these homeschooling Journals

Curious why you are thinking of not using BP for 4th grade after you finish Medieval?

Because I discovered Wayfarers and think I would like it a lot, but we are only 7 weeks into BP, so I'm finishing what I have before we change. ;) Since we are using ELTL now, it fits in well with Wayfarers.

I'm a chronic curriculum hopper, btw. :lol:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Language Arts: Treasured Conversations Part 1 (grammar), W&R Fable and Narrative 1 (writing), K12 Literature (lit), and Modern Speller (spelling). I will also have a required literature list for her to read through but I haven't come up with it yet

I wondered if you could tell me how you plan to do TC and W&R.  What sort of schedule?  So you're only doing part 1 of TC?

I wondered if you could tell me how you plan to do TC and W&R.  What sort of schedule?  So you're only doing part 1 of TC?

Yes, I was initially planning on only using part one of TC, the grammar portion while completing W&R. I had planned to do a language arts loop with her where we hit grammar/literature twice a week and writing/spelling three times a week. However, I will need to amend the curriculum I'm using because she found the Treasured Conversations lessons and insisted on starting them now so it looks like she'll actually finish the grammar portion before we even technically start 4th grade.

Now my plan is just to replace FLL 3 or PLL for TC in the language arts loop. I already have both, but I haven't decided which one I want to use. Right now I'm leaning toward FLL 3.

Math: Christian Light 4
History, Bible, Literature, geography: BiblioPlan - Modern
Language Arts: Micheal Clay Thompson- Island Level
Writing: IEW
Cursive: A Reason For Handwriting
Spelling: Spelling U See
Science: Noeo Science- Chemistry
Latin: Sing Song Latin

Morning Time:
Art Study: SCM
Composer Study: Hayden & Beethoven with Great Musicians Series
Poetry using Term 4 AmblesideOnline Poetry
Hymn study: Mr. Pipes and the British Hymn Makers
Missionary study: Trial and Triumph

Supplements:
Christian Light Reading
The Story Book of Science
TN. History- Notgrass
Art: Creatingamasterpiece.com ( beginners)

Over the summer we will be testing out BA and TT for math to decide which one she prefers to use for 4th grade (I'd put money on BA).

She has a book list for 4th grade that she'll begin to work on over the summer and we have a solar science unit planned.

For fun planned things DD9 has soccer, cheerleading (year round), learning to hike 14ers, and general relaxing and being bored with other kids.

For 4th grade starting in August:

Math: either BA or TT with lots of games for reinforcement

Spelling: Sequential Spelling - finish book 1 and move on to book 2

LA: lots of books, interactive notebooks and task cards that I purchased from TPT

Science/health: Homemade units on Chemistry, evolution, genetics, cardiovascular system, digestive   system, and immune system

History/art: Lots of books from the library and interest led projects on modern American history

Social Studies/Civics: Basic world geography, US geography, a unit on presidential elections, learning about the history of Washington DC (DD9's request), and a Colorado unit study with planning a trip around CO for the summer

Communication: Giving oral and visual presentations at the end of her units to mom and dad or on video

Technology: Minecraft mod and server coding, photo and video editing (by request) and possibly building her own desktop computer with DH

Spanish and Music are at her options program on Fridays along with extra science projects, LA practice and PE

She'll also be continuing with Girl Scouts next year

We are nearly half way through grade 4. This is what we have been/will be using this year:

Math: Singapore 4A and 4B, Miquon Green and Yellow, Xtramath

Language Arts: McGuffey Fourth Reader, AAS4, WWE2, Writing Strands 3, Sonlight Readers 4/5 plus extra readers that I assign and others that she chooses,  Cursive Copywork

History/Literature: Sonlights Core C

Science: Abeka Grade 4, Christian Liberty Nature Reader Book 4

Geography: Tree in the Trail

French: Skoldo Book One, possibly move onto Book Two, DuoLingo

Latin: Prima Latina

Group time: SOTW1, French, Greek Alphabet, VOS Bible, Scripture Memorisation, English from the Roots Up.

At-home:

Starting Beast 4b

Continuing MCT Island Level & maybe moving from ETC into a real spelling program(?)

Lego Simple & Motorized Machines, supplemented with monthly nature studies

Human Odyssey: Ancient History, supplemented with the Story of Science and related literature, art projects, etc.

Computer-based options: Creativity Express, Code.org or Scratch*, Rosetta Stone or Duolingo Spanish*

* We haven't decided which is the best fit for her yet

Outside classes:

Yamaha group music lessons (3rd year)

Glee (1st year)

Lit & Writing for 3rd-5th graders (1st outside academic class)

Karate (3rd year)

I'm gonna update what I posed before with what I've officially decided on.  We've purchased it all now so I'm committed! 

Math: Beast Academy 4

Language Arts: English Lessons Through Literature

Spelling: All About Spelling

Writing: CAP Writing & Rhetoric Narrative II & The Most Wonderful Writing Lessons 

History/Geography: Wayfarers Medieval History

Science: Wayfarers Astronomy and Anatomy

Latin: Getting Started with Latin

Cursive: Writing his work in cursive.  He's past the point now of needing formation practice so next year I'll be expecting work to be in cursive. 

My son is a git er done type. Here is what we have right now. 

Math: R&S Math 4, supplemented with Beast Academy and Prodigy Math. Child is really struggling to learn multiplication and division facts. 

Grammar/Comp: R&S Grammar 4

Writing: IEW  

Spelling: Calvert Spelling 

Lit: MP 5th grade reading list + SOTW medieval reading list

History: SOTW 2 with older brother, modified

Science: Guest Hollow Jr. Anatomy

EC stuff: Swim team, wilderness awareness class, possibly guitar lessons. 

Eta: Whenever I change things up!

Edited by Mrs. Tharp

4th Grade

• Math: CLE Math 402-410
  • Grammar: CLE Language Arts 501-505 (just grammar)
  • Composition: Writing with Ease 3 (finish) + other writing
  • Spelling: Phonetic Zoo, Level A or B?
  • Vocabulary: Wordly Wise Book 4
  • Memory Work: 4th Grade Packet (homemade)
  • Literature: Assigned Independent Reading + Book Club (group RAs)
  • Bible: CLE Bible 500
  • History: Ancients, Part 2
  • Science: Puberty, Sexuality, Babies (September); Chemistry (October-April); Nature Study: Insects (May-June)
  • Enrichment: Instrument(s), French, Artist Study, Composer Study, Kites Unit (by request), Chess & Games
  • Outside Activities: Church Midweek, Children's Choir, Girls' Group
Edited by Sahamamama

• 2 weeks later...

I'm listing what I WANT to do....

I'm still attempting to knock things off this list becuase I know it will be too much.   :)   

Core Subjects:

Math:   Singapore 4A/4B, Xtra Math, Prodigy Math (as fun supplement)...and maybe some Beast Accademy Level 3 for fun review  (probably won't actually get to the Beast Accademy, but I'm having a hard time letting it go. hahaha)  (60 mins, 4-5 days per week)

Spelling, Writing, Grammar, Litterature:   Narration, Dictation, Transcription, oh my!  

Finish AAS 4/AAS 5, ELTL 3/ELTL 4 (We ended the year half way through AAS 4 and ELTL 3).   I may do the 2nd part of Treasured Conversations if I need a change.   The kids will do all of the ELTL books on audiobook while they follow along on their kindle.   Typing, and occasional penmanship practce.  (60 mins, 4-5 days per week)

Reading:   Will read together out loud round-robin style from various books.   I've loaded a shelf for them with books I think they will like, and will allow them to pick what we read.   (Books examples:  Roald Dahl, Indian in the Cupboard, Henry Huggins, E.B. White, Flora & Ulysses, etc.)  (30 mins, 4-5 days per week)

Foreign Language:   Will work through SSL 2 (3 times per week), and then will do French Immersion very CM style 2 times per week  Our focus will be on listening and speaking, not writing.   We will sing songs in French, use the Paul Noble CDs, and duolingo for vocabulary development  (30 mins, 4-5 days per week)

Bible:   Prayers for Children (in morning time), Seeds Family Worship, Long Story Short, Daily bible reading  (30 mins, 4-5 days per week)

My plan is to try to hit those things most days in the morning.  (PLUS preschool.   Ack!), Then in the afternoon, we will do something from the following for an hour, plus an hour of "rest and reading".   

Icing on the Cake:

History:   CC Timeline and history sentences, SOTW 2 + oral narration, notebook entries, various lit and historical fiction from middle ages

Science:   Read Aloud from Quark Chronicles Zoology with mama, CC Science lists, Chemistry related memory work,  RSO Chemistry experiements with friends, interest led readings, a few assigned readings that tie in with chemistry.   Bird Club with friends, 

Art:  Drawing Lesson (Mark Kistler Draw 3D), Picture Studies, and Art Projects, Museum Field Trips with Art Club, Biographies, Timeline (Artists will be Picasso, Van Gogh, Monet, and Sargent)

Poetry:  Daily poems from ELTL , Poem per day from our "term" poet, poetry teas with friends to keep me accountable, IEW poetry memorization, Timelines and Biographies  (Poets will be Rosetti, Belloc, Carroll, Stenenson)

Shakespeare:  Shakespeare Club to keep me accountable, How to Teach your child Shakespeare for memory work, Adam McKeown's "Young Readers Shakespeare" as read alouds, BBC animated Shakespeare (Plays will be Othello, MidSummer, Henry V, and MacBeth)

Music:  Piano Lessons, Composer Study using Themes to Remember, Biographies, and Classical Kids recording, Spotify, Timeline entries, The kids also want to do homeschool orchestra, but I think I am going to wait until next year.

Edited by TheAttachedMama
  • Like 1

DS1 is going into 4th. This summer we are finishing up a few things not finished from last year and taking a vacation. That's it for summer plans!

Next fall looks like this:

Science: Finishing up our study of Earth and Space and then moving on to Physics

Math: Singapore 4b and 5a with Beast 3d-4c

Handwriting: Copywork

Phonics/Grammar/Spelling: The Phonics Road 4

Writing: WWE3 and CAP Fable

Spanish: Getting Started with Spanish

Latin: Getting Started with Latin

History/Geography/Lit: TOG3

Music: Cello/Composer Study

Art: Picture Study/Artistic Pursuits

PE: Tap

Other: Cub Scouts

My youngest will be 4th grade next year (boy that makes me feel old, my youngest is in "upper elementary"!).

I'm pretty sure I've my plans.  I've been thinking about what I want to do since I came home from work.

Math Mammoth 4

Beast Academy 3

Evan Moor Skill Sharpeners Math Grade 4

Spectrum Writing Grade 4

some Brave Writer

Evan Moor Skill Sharpeners Spell & Write finishing up Grade 5 and 6

Vocabulary from Classic Roots 4

Mosdos Ruby

Harcourt Health & Fitness

Duolingo Spanish

History Odyssey Level 2/SOTW

Science - a mix of units I'm putting together

Learning to read music and some keyboarding

Choir

Tai Kwan Do

Swimming

Yoga

Art along with History

We are doing MP's accelerated 4th grade core, minus their use of R&S math. We'll stick with Saxon (6/5) and BA as a supplement.

Since DS will be in First Form Latin I've volunteered to do a Latin Club for co-op this year, Lord help me.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Over the summer we will be testing out BA and TT for math to decide which one she prefers to use for 4th grade (I'd put money on BA).

She has a book list for 4th grade that she'll begin to work on over the summer and we have a solar science unit planned.

For fun planned things DD9 has soccer, cheerleading (year round), learning to hike 14ers, and general relaxing and being bored with other kids.

For 4th grade starting in August:

Math: either BA or TT with lots of games for reinforcement

Spelling: Sequential Spelling - finish book 1 and move on to book 2

LA: lots of books, interactive notebooks and task cards that I purchased from TPT

Science/health: Homemade units on Chemistry, evolution, genetics, cardiovascular system, digestive   system, and immune system

History/art: Lots of books from the library and interest led projects on modern American history

Social Studies/Civics: Basic world geography, US geography, a unit on presidential elections, learning about the history of Washington DC (DD9's request), and a Colorado unit study with planning a trip around CO for the summer

Communication: Giving oral and visual presentations at the end of her units to mom and dad or on video

Technology: Minecraft mod and server coding, photo and video editing (by request) and possibly building her own desktop computer with DH

Spanish and Music are at her options program on Fridays along with extra science projects, LA practice and PE

She'll also be continuing with Girl Scouts next year

Which notebooks and task cards did you get?