Menu

2nd Grade Math- what are you using?

hands-on-mama

MM2. We are really enjoying it - did casual math without curriculum for 1st, then transitioned to MM for 2nd. It took a few lessons to get used to the flow because it is different than other curricula I've used, but it's going beautifully now. It makes so much sense in its progression. I tend to cut out about 1/4 of the problems, depending on the topic.

I've done TouchMath and Calvert with oldest {had LDs}, Calvert with #2, CLE, Horizons, and R&S with #3 and #4 {not all at the same time!}. Miss Priss is going to try out McRuffy after CLE bombed for her.

Edited by Paradox5

2nd grader #1: used Miquon, Singapore, and MEP combo.  Yes, *all* of all three programs.  He lived through it.  I was trying to rewire his brain.  Didn't work. ;)

2nd grader #2: also used Miquon, Singapore, and MEP combo.  Yes, *all* of all three programs.  He loved it and thrived.  He still likes math five years later. :)

2nd grader #3 : crashed and burned with Miquon and Singapore. He HATED the c-rods, and had a very strong aversion to all the colors and graphics in Singapore. Switched to Rod and Staff (and some of MEP)  and was much, much happier.  I taught R&S using rods and Singapore-like methods.

2nd grader #4: used Miquon, Singapore, MEP, and R&S combo.  Really.  Not as bad as it sounds.  R&S was done orally (for drill and review), Singapore was the main teaching math done daily, and MEP or Miquon would happen every few weeks when she needed a change.  This combo worked very well for her.

My last two 2nd graders will probably use some variation of the above.  Since I already have Miquon, Singapore, MEP, and R&S on the shelf...

We used MM2. Not a fan. Too many worksheets and not enough review for my DD. Stuck it out through MM3, then switched to CLE 3 (still too many worksheets, but really solidified math facts and other concepts).

I wish we had used something else, like RS, Miquon, or MEP.