Menu

How Could I read more?... article from BBC

PrincessMommy

I've always wished I could read a bit faster, but I've never really been interested in speed reading because I fear it may take some of the enjoyment out of reading.  But this article got me thinking again:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35261648

I'm wondering what other people do to help them read more?   My goal this year is to read at least 50 books (my yearly reading has been going DOWN!).  That includes audio books so I'm usually reading one book and listening to another.

I know for one thing if I got away from the screen more often I'd take more time to read. 

Oh, and as a side note, they talk about the famous librarian who did 31K Amazon reviews... she admitted that if she didn't like a book she only read about 50 pages... then does that mean that she reviewed a book after only having read 50 pages? 

For me, it's that I read all the time. I read while I brush my teeth, I read while I dry my hair. I read while I eat if I'm not with family. I always have a book with me so if I have even a minute or two when I'm out I will read. In the grocery line. While getting gas. At a drive-thru. All those times waiting for a kid at an activity. 

I don't watch TV and I don't do a lot of other hobbies. I do spend more time than I would like on the computer. 

I'm not necessarily saying that my way is the best way. I definitely miss out on social interaction and TV/movies and other hobbies can be creative and stimulating. It's just that reading has always been like breathing to me. It's what I do. 

For things that aren't as natural to me, I find that I do more of them if I set specific short term goals. So instead of saying "I want to read more" or even "I want to finish 50 books this year" maybe set aside a certain amount of time a day to read. Either as a chunk or as several shorter chunks a day. 

• Like 11

One thing that's made a big difference in the amount I read is switching to large print books. I hadn't realized how much my aging eyes were slowing down with smaller print. I am really not too bad - my reading glasses are the weakest magnification typically sold (+1.25) - but the larger print really keeps me reading instead of growing tired. I also adjust my kindle font.

I have a goal to read more this year, and part of my plan is to keep books queued up, to always have the next one waiting in the wings so I don't lose time between books.

Remember when you're a new mom, folks tell you to nap when the baby naps? I'm going to aim to read when dd does her assigned independent reading.

• Like 6

One thing that's made a big difference in the amount I read is switching to large print books.

The print size is definitely something that helps me read faster.  I read almost all the time on my Kindle.  My kids make fun of me for the print size I keep it set on.  But having it set on a larger size makes it so much easier for me to read fast and for longer periods of time.

Last year I read 126 books.  Some of those were doozies.  I read Les Mis, Gone With the Wind, and History of the Ancient World (Susan Wise Bauer).  My average book length was just under 300 pages I think it was (I keep track of number of pages as well as number of books read).  So I read a lot.

I always have my Kindle with me.  Sometimes there's a few minutes of unexpected down time and I pull it out and read a bit.  I combine exercise with reading.  I walk around the lower floor of my house while reading.  The circle I make is about 100 steps.  I am so used to making that circle that I rarely bump into things.  Bonus, I pick up and put away anything I notice out of place as I walk.

I never skip pages like was talked about in the article.  That doesn't make sense to me.  Reading, to me, is for enjoyment.  He seemed to indicate he'd skip pages just to add more books to list of completed reads.  No one gets a medal for the number of books they read.

Sometimes I'm not as into a book but I still want to read it or it's one of those doozies and my mind needs a break from it rather than reading straight through.  For those times I read multiple books at a time.  While I was reading Les Mis I read a lot of fun books at the same time.  Sometimes I read multiple books just because.  Right now I'm reading 7 (6 for me, 1 to the little guys as a bedtime story).  I often read a chapter of each consecutively.  It keeps things fun for my brain and I actually ultimately read faster.  I'm not sure why.  I just do.

• Like 8

I just got a smartphone so I am starting to listen to audiobooks while I do chores.  

Otherwise, it's really a matter of taking the time to read.  Finding bits of time here and there.  I am not good at that; I waste far too much time in my day.   I get up early in the morning and spend between 30 and 45 minutes fiddling around online.  It does help me to wake up.  But it would be better if I got dressed and went for a walk with the dog and an audio book. 

I would not consider that I'd read a book if I skipped a lot of pages.  Nor would I feel I could review a book after reading only 50 pages.  I'll abandon a book, sure, but not review it!

• Like 6

I would love to read more, although I read more than average I think, but certain preferences keep me from being able to get through more books!  I *cannot* read in snippets here and there throughout the day.  It just does not work for me.  I need a chunk of time without distractions!  On the days that I've tried to read a page or two whenever I have a spare moment, I end up backtracking during my nighttime reading anyway because I don't retain as well with little bits.  Also, I don't do audio books.  I'm just not an auditory learner/reader.  I really cherish my nighttime reading and will read up to 4 hours after I get into bed!  Sometimes I need to readjust my sleep schedule, though, because I will NOT get enough sleep if I read as long as I really want to.  Reading doesn't make me sleepy, either!  lol

• Like 3

The print size is definitely something that helps me read faster.  I read almost all the time on my Kindle.  My kids make fun of me for the print size I keep it set on.  But having it set on a larger size makes it so much easier for me to read fast and for longer periods of time.

This.  It is SO much easier for me to read on my Kindle, set to a suitable font size, than to read a paper book.  My kids are always dissing the Kindle but it is the most comfortable way for me to read.

• Like 2

I don't think she should review a book after only 50 pages (for many books, that's less than a third). I don't know if that's what she did, either.

I have several books here (hard copies) I want to read, but it's so hard to find the time. I'm in the middle of an audible trial and I'm on my second book. I don't know if that counts lol. But the point is if I want to get the information out of the book, it is easier to find time with audible. I don't necessarily like listening to the narrator's voice, though. I listened to a few samples and some I said, "nope, don't want the audio version." My problem is not just time, though. I physically cannot hold the book sometimes (baby in my arms, it's too difficult unless I decide to babywear with a book maybe) or maybe I have less energy and it seems easier to listen.

I don't have an interest in speed reading, really. I'd feel like I didn't have as much time to absorb what I just read or enjoy it.

• Like 2

I have read enough books that didn't 'catch' until after page 50 that I wouldn't personally do that. 

I also adjusted the font on my kindle, I also changed the colour of the page. You can pick cream or a light green or a black with white letters.  I personally find the black page with white letters to be easier on my eyes and I can read for much longer without getting tired.

I also make a list of books I want to read. I have categories, like two Mann Booker prize winners or two non-fiction, with one being the non-fiction national book award winner. I know it sounds silly, but it works for me. I have a big list and I know which ones are available as ebooks and which are not, and which are at my library and which ones I have to keep an eye out to borrow, etc. I always know what my next book is and I have it lined up and ready to go. 

Being able to borrow kindle books has definitely increased my reading. I don't even have to leave home, lol.

• Like 6

I have a number of books going at once.  I always have an Audible book for when I'm driving.  I have a Kindle on the go for emergencies (stuck in a drive-thru, the check-out, etc.) and then I have actual books, too.  I am usually in the middle of one short story collection and one novel and sometimes I also have a non-fiction on the go.  

Even so, I only read 42 books last year.  I'm really committed to reading more this year.  I've already finished three and am about 20 pages from finishing my fourth this year.  My problem is that I get pretty sleepy at night, so I end up watching TV instead of reading.  I was reading last night and actually fell asleep on the couch at 8:30 :(  

I've always wished I could read a bit faster, but I've never really been interested in speed reading because I fear it may take some of the enjoyment out of reading.  But this article got me thinking again:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35261648

I'm wondering what other people do to help them read more?   My goal this year is to read at least 50 books (my yearly reading has been going DOWN!).  That includes audio books so I'm usually reading one book and listening to another.

I know for one thing if I got away from the screen more often I'd take more time to read. 

Oh, and as a side note, they talk about the famous librarian who did 31K Amazon reviews... she admitted that if she didn't like a book she only read about 50 pages... then does that mean that she reviewed a book after only having read 50 pages? 

I wanted to respond before reading other replies.

I think people who are naturally fast readers (I am, but not as fast as some people), tend to do some of the things listed in the article. Grouping words for example, and not specifically reading articles (the grammar term article that is) are things I do without consciously realizing it.

Number of books - My number goal goes up and down depending on what books I want to read. For example, last year I knew I wanted to read War and Peace and East of Eden, both of which are long books. I kept my number goal lower for that reason. This year I bumped it up. I don't think a number goal is that simple. I prefer quality over quantity, but that doesn't mean you can't have both. It also doesn't mean I can't read brain candy aka book junk food if I want to.

As for finding time to read, it's really a matter of priorities. I read more than I go online or watch tv. Some people would rather spend time they could be reading doing something else and then don't have time to read. That's not a judgement, just a fact. If you're reading for pleasure you get to be the one who decides where that activity goes on your list, when you have free time. 

I read a lot and often. I always have. As a kid I'd get in trouble for reading under the covers with a flashlight when I was supposed to be going to sleep. I read whenever I'm eating alone, which is usually breakfast and lunch. I read before bed. I read when I have free time at home. I read in waiting rooms. The article mentioned ebooks, but before I got my Kindle, I brought a book with me almost everywhere I went. You just never know when you'll have wait time, and a book is a good way to fill that time. And now that I have a Kindle I toss it in my purse whenever I leave the house.

Finally, if that librarian didn't finish reading a book she shouldn't count it as a book read, and she shouldn't review it. Well, she could review to the point of saying why she chose not to finish it, but that's not a true book review.

• Like 7

I have a number of books going at once.  I always have an Audible book for when I'm driving.  I have a Kindle on the go for emergencies (stuck in a drive-thru, the check-out, etc.) and then I have actual books, too.  I am usually in the middle of one short story collection and one novel and sometimes I also have a non-fiction on the go.  

Yes, I always have more than one book in progress. I've been asked how I can keep them straight, but to me it's no different than being able to keep several different tv shows straight. Different characters, different settings, different stories, different genre (comedy, drama, history, detectives, etc.). It's the same with books for me.

• Like 9

Yes, I always have more than one book in progress. I've been asked how I can keep them straight, but to me it's no different than being able to keep several different tv shows straight. Different characters, different settings, different stories, different genre (comedy, drama, history, detectives, etc.). It's the same with books for me.

I always have more than one book going.  That's just normal to me.  Charlotte Mason is supposed to have said:

'I always keep three books going--a stiff book, a moderately easy book, and a novel, and I always take up the one I feel fit for!'  

I love books with short chapters for those times when I have only 5 minutes or so to read.  Or, something very light and easy to keep track of.  My first audio book on my new phone (I am  just so excited to finally have a "real" phone!) was Austenland which is just a cute light read/listen.  It didn't matter if I didn't catch every word, and the story was simple enough - and had few characters - so it was easy to keep track. 

I rarely set a goal for number of books, though I did on Goodreads this year (50).  To me a better goal is to read x number of minutes per day/week.  That to me is a more meaningful goal. 

BTW Goodreads is a fun way to find out about new books, though sometimes I feel like I spend more time reading about books than reading actual books.  The link to my account is in my signature, if you want some friends there.  :-)

Edited by marbel
  • Like 4

For me, it's that I read all the time. I read while I brush my teeth, I read while I dry my hair. I read while I eat if I'm not with family. I always have a book with me so if I have even a minute or two when I'm out I will read. In the grocery line. While getting gas. At a drive-thru. All those times waiting for a kid at an activity. 

I don't watch TV and I don't do a lot of other hobbies. I do spend more time than I would like on the computer. 

This is how we are in our house as well. My husband and I almost always have a book/tablet in our hands. I routinely put my kindle in my purse as well. If I find myself in a line without something to read, I'll take my phone out and read articles about various things (and check Facebook - full disclosure). 

I sometimes get annoyed if the drive-thru line moves too quickly! 

I do have another hobby - quilting. It takes a significant amount of time, but the results are worth it. 

Some material I move through more quickly than other material, usually reading fiction is faster than reading non-fiction, but that is a bit topic dependent. However, speed is not my goal. I just like to read! 

I probably average reading about 3 books a week, overall. 

One thing I've noticed lately is the increase in instructional videos. For example, I received a Tile for Christmas. There were no instructions with it, I had to go online and watch a video to see how to use it. What would have taken me about two minutes to read was covered in a video that was almost twice as long - it drove me nuts! This seems to be getting more common. Just let me read it, people! 

• Like 6

My biggest problem recently has been falling asleep almost as soon as I start reading. I have even had to bookmark reading to DS at bedtime because I am slurring my words and actually falling asleep. It's very annoying.

• Like 4

My biggest problem recently has been falling asleep almost as soon as I start reading. I have even had to bookmark reading to DS at bedtime because I am slurring my words and actually falling asleep. It's very annoying.

Not proud of this, but I have been known to sleepread. I can read a whole chapter to my kids and not remember doing it. The only upside is that the following night I can ask them what happened and get an impromptu narration. 

I am neither a fast reader nor a slow one but I find time to do it daily. My daughter and my husband who are both dyslexic read very slowly but they remember everything they read. My daughter says she sees the books vividly like a movie in her head and can even call up the images from previous books like she is using the rewind button. I would gladly read slower if I could have this kind of retention.

• Like 4

this is my problem too.  Reading makes me sleepy.  But what I'm reading some some of the other responses is that getting a book in larger print (or font) may help with this.

• Like 1

I usually have at least one novel and one audiobook going at once. I may add a nonfiction book too, but I don't like to start another novel until I'm done with the current one. I don't really get the point of reading more than one fiction book at a time. To me it would be like watching a movie for a half hour and starting a different movie then switching back to the first one. Sure, I could do that, but why? I'd have still watched two movies either way. I don't see how it would help me read more books to have multiple stories going at once.

Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 2

I read fast and I read a lot.  I'm sure I read over 100 books a year but I don't usually count.  I'm doing a challenge this year and I've read 7 books since the 31st despite working full time.  I will admit to occasionally reading at work when it's slow. :closedeyes:  

Usually I only read one or two books at a time.  If two, usually one is non-fiction and one fiction OR one is a paper book and one is an ebook.   It easier for me to read on my kindle or cell phone when I'm at work since I can start and stop easier so if things are slow I'll look through what I have on my kindle or phone and pick something to read while I'm there.

I can't do audio books.  My mind starts to wander right away..

• Like 2

but I don't like to start another novel until I'm done with the current one. I don't really get the point of reading more than one fiction book at a time. To me it would be like watching a movie for a half hour and starting a different movie then switching back to the first one. Sure, I could do that, but why? I'd have still watched two movies either way. I don't see how it would help me read more books to have multiple stories going at once.

I see it more like a show than a movie. I might binge watch a show or I might watch an episode or two. Today I might be in the mood for a different show than what I watched yesterday. It's the same for me with a novel. I might get really into it and read only that one novel until I finish. Then again, I might read a chapter or two (episodes) but tomorrow I'll be in the mood for one of the other novels I'm reading.

I agree that it doesn't help you read more. Either way you've read the same amount of books when you finish. 

• Like 4

I naturally read fast but I'm another one who can't stay awake these days. I listen to a lot of audio books and read on my kindle a lot. On the kindle I set the text really big and also switch the background to the sepia colour ( on a fire tablet), that's my most comfortable reading setting.

• Like 1

I can't do audio books.  My mind starts to wander right away..

I only do audio books for driving.  I find that my mind wanders, too.  I've tried listening while cleaning the house or ironing, but for some reason I can't do it.  But, listening to books while driving is fantastic.

I'm on a reading binge lately. While I LOVE real books during the day when I have daylight, I have to admit that I prefer the ipad at night. I can adjust the light and the print. Our house is calm and dark at night and I find I'm reluctant to switch on the lights that are good enough for reading because I don't want to interrupt the winding-down feeling of it all. There's a real book on my nightstand that's getting neglected because I'm reading other books on my ipad at night.

• Like 1

I'm on a reading binge lately. While I LOVE real books during the day when I have daylight, I have to admit that I prefer the ipad at night. I can adjust the light and the print. Our house is calm and dark at night and I find I'm reluctant to switch on the lights that are good enough for reading because I don't want to interrupt the winding-down feeling of it all. There's a real book on my nightstand that's getting neglected because I'm reading other books on my ipad at night.

Do you use any kind of blue light blocker?

I read a lot!  

So typically it shakes out for me--

reading on my kindle during the 45 min elliptical trainer stint first thing in the morning (when I'm not watching Gilmore Girls...:))

maybe a half hour of reading in the afternoon (rarely!)

30-60 minutes of bathtub reading most nights

a couple of hours of reading on a Sunday afternoon

and then I try to read in little snippets of time--if I have 10 minutes to wait somewhere I make sure I have something to read...I'll pop onto the kindle or dip into a book for 5 minutes here and there--that's easier to do w/ nonfiction than fiction!  

It all adds up!

I do not speed read and do not have any interest in that.  I'm content with reading a book and savoring it, even if I'm reading less.  I'm a fairly quick reader naturally, but not 'speedy!' Plus, the author took the time to write a beautiful paragraph....I'm going to take the time to enjoy it! :) But, that's just me!

• Like 2

As for the speed reading, I learned how to do that in high school. I've found it useful for two things. First, in college there are always those classes where the teacher assigns nothing from the required textbook, but then BAM there will be one or two test questions "that was in your textbook." I learned to read the textbooks quickly so I at least would have a somewhat educated guess come test time.

As a parent, it's good to be able to preread books for the kids' independent reading, especially books that may contain content that I wasn't quite ready for them to engage before a certain time, or just to give me fodder for book discussion.

I do not practice speed reading for my own stuff these days.

Edited by Seasider

Do you use any kind of blue light blocker?

I have tried reading with the every so attractive yellow glasses, and find they aren't that useful.  I haven't found a blue blocker for my kindle that works on the actual books.  You can find one for an iphone and possibly an ipad, but, at least the iphone one, only works on the browser, not the whole phone. You have to be surfing the net for it to work.

I have an app on my kindle fire called 'low light' and it allows me to futz with the backlight of my kindle more easily than if I went into the settings. It allows me to set the backlight very, very low. It makes it much more comfortable to read in a dark room. But it isn't a blue light blocker.  I read books on my kindle fire with a 'reverse page' meaning the page is black and the letters are white, so that is also less light to cause eye strain

• Like 1

I've never been a super fast reader, but I think I read more slowly now than when I was younger.  It may be my eyesight or some other aspect of ageing.  Or maybe I have more distractions.  Or maybe I am reading books that require more thought (on average).

I am going to try the 52 book challenge this year - may end up closer to 25 though.

I read a little at a time throughout the day, unless the day is too busy to read at all.

I read a lot of books, but I don't consider that a big deal.  Since New Year's I've read a Dean Koontz,"Door to December", two recent Star Trek's, two John Grisham's including one on Football, which is weird since I hate football.  

Currently working on Little Women ( I just found the Mp3 that had it loaded.  This is for during housework), Killing Reagan in the car (not impressed), TWEM in the bathroom (impressed), 1493 on the computer for while doing puzzles (just started) and both another Star Trek and a book on the times of Henry VIII by my bed.    I can't fall asleep to Non-fiction, but I have a hard time falling asleep without fiction, so I usually have both my the bed.  

It is nice being able to read faster.  I can comfortably read ~ 1000 words per minute without comprehension loss.  ~ 1400 if I push it, but then it becomes work.  I get literally twitchy if I don't have an audiobook.     

One of the things that has expanded my audiobook listening is a speaker for the mp3 player.  It cost about $20 and be charged with a mini USB cable.  I really don't like to wear headphones for long time periods.  But, the little speaker I can carry around the house while cleaning.  Silence really drives me nuts.