Menu

S/O: Baby names you have heard but you definitely would not have picked

DawnM

Really? Here in Oz it's considered a really cool name. A close girlfriend has a gorgeous Indiana.

And I even had it picked for one of my kids.

It is a pretty name.  I'd associate it with a state that I'm not a fan of though.  Not for the state, but for the tourists when I grew up in Florida. I'm also extremely anti- Ohio and New Jersey.  Every accident I ever near-missed in Florida was with tourists from one of those three states.

• Like 1

Hey! No! I think of Indiana Jones, which is actually pretty awesome imo! :thumbup1:

Actually, my grandmother & her four sisters all had states as names (either first or middle). My grandmother's middle name was Missouri. (As far as I know, her relatives were not from Missouri nor were any relatives.) And, she had cousins named Brown and Blue. I don't find them to be terribly weird or unusual names, though.

Really? Here in Oz it's considered a really cool name. A close girlfriend has a gorgeous Indiana.

And I even had it picked for one of my kids.

The poster was quoting from an Indiana Jones

• Like 4

Anything that is a well-known fruit or vegetable.

Anything that is an obvious political statement.

Anything that reminds people more of a cartoon than an actual human.

Abcde.

Adolph Hitler.

I've heard of a Papaya. It sounds rather cute to me, as we call them paw-paws here etc...

And I know of a Malibu. Again, I like it, but I love different names. I'm not a mainstream name type of girl. ;-)

:( That's just unfortunate.  Reminds me of the fellows named Adolph after Hitler became a household name.  Their lives became much more difficult.

That reminds me more of grown men in Iraq who have the misfortune of having the not uncommon name combination of Saddam Hussein, often named for him when he was still respectable. http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26272218 .

It is a pretty name.  I'd associate it with a state that I'm not a fan of though.  Not for the state, but for the tourists when I grew up in Florida. I'm also extremely anti- Ohio and New Jersey.  Every accident I ever near-missed in Florida was with tourists from one of those three states.

I've also never understood the location name thing - Dakota - also a state...  Brooklyn?  Madison (Wisconsin??)  I know the latter is very popular now, but when I first heard it, I was like ???  Same with Chelsea.  I think there are nicer, hipper Chelseas in England and NYC, but the one in my state is kind of an armpit of a place, and it's what I thought of first - why name a kid that?  Yeah, I'm completely used to it now... :lol:

• Like 2

I've also never understood the location name thing - Dakota - also a state... Brooklyn? Madison (Wisconsin??) I know the latter is very popular now, but when I first heard it, I was like ??? Same with Chelsea. I think there are nicer, hipper Chelseas in England and NYC, but the one in my state is kind of an armpit of a place, and it's what I thought of first - why name a kid that? Yeah, I'm completely used to it now... :lol:

Hehehe.... I love location names. Three of my four are named after them. :-D

• Like 1

I've also never understood the location name thing - Dakota - also a state...  Brooklyn?  Madison (Wisconsin??)  I know the latter is very popular now, but when I first heard it, I was like ???  Same with Chelsea.  I think there are nicer, hipper Chelseas in England and NYC, but the one in my state is kind of an armpit of a place, and it's what I thought of first - why name a kid that?  Yeah, I'm completely used to it now... :lol:

I have a niece named Dakota. When my sister told me what they were going to name her, the first words out of my mouth were, "North or South?"

• Like 6

Hehehe.... I love location names. Three of my four are named after them. :-D

LOL... I'm over it now, but no one used to do that, and then suddenly, it was a thing! 

Though I'm still a bit mystified as to which locations have been name-i-fied.  I mean, why the capital of Wisconisn and the home of the Badlands?  Random boroughs and bits of NYC (no one is Manhattan, Bronx or Queens, though...)? Why not someplace beautiful and/or tropical, like Maui or Florida or Bermuda or Bahamas?

• Like 1

LOL... I'm over it now, but no one used to do that, and then suddenly, it was a thing! 

Though I'm still a bit mystified as to which locations have been name-i-fied.  I mean, why the capital of Wisconisn and the home of the Badlands?  Random boroughs and bits of NYC (no one is Manhattan, Bronx or Queens, though...)? Why not someplace beautiful and/or tropical, like Maui or Florida or Bermuda or Bahamas?

Well. Madison is Madi's son or "Son of Matthew" and used to be a boy's name. So that may be a case of a boys name turning into a girls name rather than a location turning into a name.

Well. Madison is Madi's son or "Son of Matthew" and used to be a boy's name. So that may be a case of a boys name turning into a girls name rather than a location turning into a name.

Well, that is true, although it was more of a surname than a boy's name, I'd think.  The whole stealing boys' names for girls is another 'thing' that's been around for a while now....  Whitney, Ashley... also boys' names once upon a time...

Yeah, those location names.

Butte

Boring

Flushing

Index

(I have never known a kid with any of these names... just throwing them out there as possibilities one of my dc came up with.  Another other dc suggested the spelling Bute, after the horse med...)

• Like 2

I think the Beckham family named their sons after the places they were conceived: Brooklyn, Romeo (for Rome), Cruz (Santa Cruz, maybe?). Don't know where their dd's name Harper came from.... (I obviously read too much of the gossipy/trashy celebrity news. :001_rolleyes: )

The names themselves are fine, imo, but I don't really care for the idea of naming kids based on where they were conceived. That is a little odd to me.

I said I wouldn't comment on other's names but I want to add that two brothers that I knew were Link and Chain. A relative of mine is Lincoln but always went by Link/Linc. I am not sure how he spells it. I don't know that I would want to name brothers Link and Chain though.

DH wanted to have twin boys and name then River and Fisher. 

Instead, I convinced him to settle for Riverlyn for a girl. 

• Like 1

Hey! No! I think of Indiana Jones, which is actually pretty awesome imo! :thumbup1:

Actually, my grandmother & her four sisters all had states as names (either first or middle). My grandmother's middle name was Missouri. (As far as I know, her relatives had no ties to Missouri.) And, she had cousins named Brown and Blue. I don't find them to be terribly weird or unusual names, though.

I know a boy named Indiana Luke.  His dad is a HUGE George Lucas fan. :D

• Like 4

My most hated is Delilah. Pretty, but really?  I'm surprised how many Delilahs I've met.

I once worked with a woman whose mother was Delilah. She said she didn't find out her mother's real name until she was a teen and a letter came in the mail to Mrs. D. Lastname. She was confused because her mother's name--as far as she knew--was Lilah. She asked her mom who D. Lastname was and that's when she found out the truth. Her mom had never liked her given name, which was why she went by Lilah.

BUT...someone in the news recently named their child AFTER their dog...I can't remember who that was! That I definitely would not have picked!

I knew someone who named their child after their dog. They claim they didn't. But they had a J name thing--both had J names, their dogs had J names. So when their first dc came along they gave him a J name, naming after the dad. Ok, no biggie. Then a dd comes along and they give her a J name too--not the same as the mom's. After 2 dc they decided they couldn't manage their second dog--she was really active--so they gave her away. Then they had a 3rd child ... and named her the same name that the second dog had! Didn't name her after the dog, eh? :p

• Like 1

This could be a dangerous topic . . . easy to offend someone's choice of names :)

I've had two embarrassing moments in my life that involved me commenting when I shouldn't have about someone's choice of names.

The first was when my husband and I were newly engaged and I was spending my first Christmas with his side of the family, which is very small and that year only involved his aunt and grandma.  We were talking about middle names and his aunt, with a big smile on her face informed me that my future father-in-law's middle name was "Harry".  I immediately burst out laughing because I was sure that she was joking because the last name also started with "H" and is two syllables which to me still just sounds ridiculous together.  They laughed with me and I figured it was some kind of joke (remember the lady that chose that name, the grandma, is sitting right there).  The conversation went on and on.  It wasn't until later that week they finally told me that his middle name actually is Harry.  They've never let me forget it.

The second was when my hair stylist asked me what I thought about naming a kid after a car.  I think I replied that it probably would matter which car.  She then suggested, "like Corvette".  I laughed and she chuckled and the conversation went on.  I think it was several months before I realized that the salon owner's son was named Corvette.

This was all before I had kids so I learned to keep my mouth shut . . . and then I started naming kids and we have some names that others probably think are really strange!

Which I why I worded it the way I did..

• Like 1

I knew someone who named their child after their dog. They claim they didn't. But they had a J name thing--both had J names, their dogs had J names. So when their first dc came along they gave him a J name, naming after the dad. Ok, no biggie. Then a dd comes along and they give her a J name too--not the same as the mom's. After 2 dc they decided they couldn't manage their second dog--she was really active--so they gave her away. Then they had a 3rd child ... and named her the same name that the second dog had! Didn't name her after the dog, eh? :p

I know someone who did something similar. They did not conceive quickly and they got a dog and gave it the name they wanted to name a child. Later, they did finally have a child, but they still used the name they had "spent" on the dog because it was still their favorite name. I think, IIRC, there was even overlap - they still had the dog, and they had a child with the same name as the dog. I don't recall what happened with the dog, though. I think they were just figuring they would have the kid a lot longer than they would have the dog, even if there was overlap of a few years. :D

• Like 4

I just remembered one. My cousin was a teacher and had a student in her class with the name Shithead. It was pronounced Shuh - THEED. No, I am not making that up! Maybe she was though, but she wasn't that type.

I have an aunt who was an elementary school teacher, and she once had a student named Asshole, pronounced ah-SHOW-lee. True story.

I had a coworker years ago whose father was named Tex, and whose brothers were Dallas, Houston, and Austin. She said that lots of people in her small hometown did "themes" with their children's names like that.

I have to admit that I don't really understand people who name their daughters after cheese: Colby, Brie.

But I also have to admit that I like some of the names mentioned in this thread, like Spencer and Sebastian. :lol: So, you know, whatever floats your boat. As long as the person with the weird name is happy, then why should I care? (That sentiment does not apply to the name Asshole - those parents were just cruel, and deliberately so. They did it on a bet. Ridiculous.)

I have an aunt who was an elementary school teacher, and she once had a student named Asshole, pronounced ah-SHOW-lee. True story.

I had a coworker years ago whose father was named Tex, and whose brothers were Dallas, Houston, and Austin. She said that lots of people in her small hometown did "themes" with their children's names like that.

I have to admit that I don't really understand people who name their daughters after cheese: Colby, Brie.

But I also have to admit that I like some of the names mentioned in this thread, like Spencer and Sebastian. :lol: So, you know, whatever floats your boat. As long as the person with the weird name is happy, then why should I care? (That sentiment does not apply to the name Asshole - those parents were just cruel, and deliberately so. They did it on a bet. Ridiculous.)

We're considering Sebastian. Caleb Sebastian came to mind earlier.

• Like 4

Yeah, those location names.

Butte

Boring

Flushing

Index

(I have never known a kid with any of these names... just throwing them out there as possibilities one of my dc came up with.  Another other dc suggested the spelling Bute, after the horse med...)

Lizard Lick? :lol:

We used to have neighbors with three young daughters.  The girls were named Queen, Princess, and Diamond.  

I know of a pair of sisters named Princess and Precious.

The only name lately that has given me pause is Rowdy. It could be cute, but I wondered if all his future teachers would unfairly pre-judge his behavior. What if he was a really mellow kid?

Haven't you ever heard of Rowdy Gaines? I believe it was a nickname, but it was the name he used when he became famous.

Leif Garret was a popular actor when I was a child, so that name doesn't sound so too unusual to me.

I have a Spencer. I still love the name and it suits him very well.

There are some names that I really don't like. Names with creative spelling and random punctuation drives me crazy. I also don't like names that seem to be jokes or parents just trying to be really trendy or different.

• Like 2