Menu

Last minute Halloween costume-crafting...what are you making?

alisoncooks

I don't know how it happened, but I have found myself 3 days out from Halloween with two costumes to finish.  October flew by!  :001_unsure:

For DD#1:  I have to finish light sabers to go with her Ahsoka Tano costume (because the store-bought light sabers we have from last Christmas aren't the "right ones" for Ahsoka.  Apparently, we have an eye for detail here...)  This involves copious silver paint and paper towel tubes and some glue.  And several google images of Ahsoka's light sabers (multiple angles) for reference.

For DD#2:  This child is going as Toothless (How to Train Your Dragon) and I have yet to start on her wings.  Or her tail.  I keep giving the wary side-eye at the pile of black felt stacked on my kitchen chair.  I'm sure I'll build up the nerve to tackle it soon...

Anyone else working on Halloween costumes?

• Like 3

We're almost done with Disgust (from Inside Out). This last weekend I made a circle skirt and simple top out of green satiny material. Dd loves facepaint and will do herself green. Never found a green wig so she will spray her hair green. We need to finish the belt but I think we're done otherwise. 

• Like 2

I have a Gyorn cape to make, a Shardblade to sand, paint, and add LED lights to, a suit of Shardplate (armor) I crafted of EVA foam that I need to assemble, finish painting, deck out with LEDs, cut more foam for inner plate, and then a bunch of fake blood to pour on my Snow White costume (zombie snow white). 

• Like 1

The boys are done - one hulk and one Sith lord. Dh finished his today. He is a minecraft block. It turned out to be pretty awesome. My costume is almost done, I just have to make the thigh holster for my shotgun. I didn't have the glue I needed to finish it, so that will have to be tomorrow.

• Like 2

I sewed the pants and hoodie for DS's Marshall (Paw Patrol Dalmation) costume. I have to make his collar & tag and logo for his hat.

DD is going to be Doc McStuffins. A friend knitted her sweater and I hemmed a boy's dress shirt for a lab coat. I still need to make a flower for her hat (warmer than Doc's headband).

• Like 2

We went with bought, but still with our own take on things. We found a chicken hat at party city, bought a cheap green cape and cheap green mask and my son is Super Chicken.

I brought this stuff home and DH said, "Oh yeah, like the old cartoon." Huh? Apparently, back in the 70s there was a cartoon of Super Chicken. He carried a foil with him. Just so happens that DH has a foil. So, the costume is complete.

Super Chicken actually wears a blue cape and mask but we didn't know when we bought the costume.

Here's the theme song for Super Chicken: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FKss2pBYQ6Y

• Like 3

My daughter is going to be the 10th doctor and she is currently trying to finish up a cardboard Tardis to collect her candy in. Unfortunately it is forecasted to rain quite a bit on Halloween so she is considering leaving it at home (vs still carrying it in a clear plastic bag if it raining lightly). Backup plan is to use the Dalek fabric she bought to make a pillowcase to collect the candy in.

• Like 2

I finished a pirate shirt and vest that will be used by my 11 yr old and borrowed by my wife for an adult Halloween party on Friday. My older daughter made her own witch costume. I've ambitiously taken on a Tudor gown. I made it out of an old set of curtains, but the trim is killing me. It's both expensive and time consuming to sew by hand. Still, it's going to look pretty awesome.

• Like 3

Well, not really Halloween, but DS has to dress up for All Saints Day on Friday at his school. He chose St. George, so I taught myself how to knit and just finished knitting a chain-mail hood. I had to unravel it 3 times, too. My fingers are tired. The rest of his costume is almost done, too!

• Like 6

I have to make a No Noggin costume for my 2 year old. It is from Curious George's Holloween movie. It is a scarecrow without a head. So basically I have to sew up the head opening of my older sons button up and cut holes out so he can see. I'll be doing that while the baby naps today

• Like 3

One of my kids wants to be a box. Not a box troll, just a box. I need to write fragile on his box and put some felt around the holes so he doesn't get paper cuts. My DD wants to be something scary. First it was a vampire bride, but we realized vampire teeth with braces on might not be great. Now we are going for bloody dress and zombie makeup I think. I have to easily first out how to bloody the dress. One wants to be a UPS guy to deliver his brother, but I can't find a brown shirt. He might be getting zombied like big sis. The last one is my easy one. He wants to be the same Darth Vader he has been the last 2 years. This will barely fit him, but I'm game.

• Like 4

My boys are Mario and Luigi. I sewed hats and overalls from fleece for them.

My DD will be Princess Presto from Super Why. This is my BIG ENDEAVOR. I'm sewing from a commercial pattern for the first time EVER and it includes box pleats and a zipper. I'm about 1/3 done with the sewing.

• Like 2

Alvin and Theodore both decided to go as ninjas. Super easy costumes.

Simon is going as a stick figure. White sweatsuit, electrical tape, paper plate, and elastic to secure his smiley face plate mask.

Faith decided to be a pig. Large adult pink hoodie, scraps of felt, toilet paper tube, a button, and some pipe cleaners. This one required some sewing, but was fun to make.

Sheep Daddy is taking the youngers out while I stay home and play Monopoly with Joy (her favorite).

• Like 3

Sewed the two white buttons onto red pants (it's too late to find shorts) for my grandson's Mickey Mouse costume. It was ridiculous, I searched high and low on the internet and couldn't find a single costume in his size range, so I cobbled one together. Black long sleeve shirt, "red" pants, and ears from a minnie mouse party favor with the bow removed. He's two.....so it isn't the end of the world if the details are a bit off. He needed it for a party today at pre-school, so talk about last minute.

Stefanie

• Like 1

We are doing Lord of the Rings. I have made two tunics, three shirts, one pair of pants, one hobbit dress, one Galadriel dress, three capes, one set of wrist guards and fake boots so far this month. I still have to make Gandalf's outfit and hat and another set of wrist guards and fake boots. And two belts. And another cape. And cut down a wig for Aragorn. And make a crown for Legolas. And sew on all buttons and a few other details. I better get back to the sewing machine.

• Like 3

I finished a pirate shirt and vest that will be used by my 11 yr old and borrowed by my wife for an adult Halloween party on Friday. My older daughter made her own witch costume. I've ambitiously taken on a Tudor gown. I made it out of an old set of curtains, but the trim is killing me. It's both expensive and time consuming to sew by hand. Still, it's going to look pretty awesome.

We are doing Lord of the Rings. I have made two tunics, three shirts, one pair of pants, one hobbit dress, one Galadriel dress, three capes, one set of wrist guards and fake boots so far this month. I still have to make Gandalf's outfit and hat and another set of wrist guards and fake boots. And two belts. And another cape. And cut down a wig for Aragorn. And make a crown for Legolas. And sew on all buttons and a few other details. I better get back to the sewing machine.

Guys, we need pictures for all of these!!

• Like 2

Sorry that is so huge. I'll delete soon. That is a not quite finished Frodo. I have since finished the sleeves, but the vest and shirt both need buttons. A friend is going to help me with it today.

Very cute!

I don't have a sewing machine so I'm hand-sewing DD's dragon's tail/wings.  Granted, it's all from felt so it's pretty hard to mess up, LOL, but my fingers are so sore!  I'm about 1/3 of the way through with the tail....still haven't started on the wings.

About halfway done with the light saber (parts all painted, now to figure out assembly and details).  I think I need some foam.  And some more felt.

I have a feeling that another trip to the craft store will be on my list of things to do tomorrow...

• Like 2

I'm not making any costumes this year. Both of my kids are grown up or nearly so, and neither asked me to help out with anything. So, I'm out of the costume biz for now.

However, we moved over the summer into a neighborhood in which we have been told there are actually trick or treaters, and my husband has been busy decorating the house in anticipation of Halloween evening. I helped him assemble a ghostly figure made of plastic wrap and packing tape that, when lit with swirly blue LEDs, is surprisingly cool and creepy looking. We also set up the literary graveyard in the front (foam tombstones engraved with the names and epitaphs --or sometimes purported last words -- of various famous writers) that is pretty effective bathed in green light. I'm especially fond of the assorted black birds grouped on and around Mr. Poe's marker.

I've spent most of today in the kitchen baking seasonally appropriate cupcakes. My husband is heading to our son's campus tonight to see him dance in the fall show and will take a dozen cupcakes to him. (He enjoys having treats to share with roommates and castmates.) I'm taking another dozen with me to work this afternoon, and the last batch is designated for my husband to share with his gaming buddies tomorrow night.

This evening, I hope to finish assembling our non-food treats for Halloween. I bought four-packs of crayons from Oriental Trading and am adorning them with covers I adapted from these: http://www.womansday.com/home/crafts-projects/how-to/a6054/halloween-craft-project-cute-candy-wrappers-123900/

So, no costumes, but I'm still managing to find some holiday-related crafting to do.

• Like 2

We went with bought, but still with our own take on things. We found a chicken hat at party city, bought a cheap green cape and cheap green mask and my son is Super Chicken.

I brought this stuff home and DH said, "Oh yeah, like the old cartoon." Huh? Apparently, back in the 70s there was a cartoon of Super Chicken. He carried a foil with him. Just so happens that DH has a foil. So, the costume is complete.

Super Chicken actually wears a blue cape and mask but we didn't know when we bought the costume.

Here's the theme song for Super Chicken: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FKss2pBYQ6Y

Once again, showing my age, I immediately started humming the theme song before I got to the end of your post.

• Like 2

I remember Super Chicken and have actually been known to sing the theme song at random moments. :p

• Like 3

This year we just pulled things out of the dress-up basket, but last year at this time, Dh was making a Doc Ock costume out of a faux leather jacket from the thrift shop, some pool noodles and duct tape. He is the costume guru here. And pumpkin carver. :)

I just buy the pumpkins, toast seeds and ensure the candy supply.

eta: Dd is Galadriel ths year and Ds is Robin, the boy-wonder.

• Like 2

Have to hem DDs costume and make a leopard tail,

Then have to sew some velcro on Supermans shoulders for his cape to attach because apparently Superman hates being choked around his neck

Then DS2 needs his Ninja pants hemmed up so he doesnt fall on his face doing Ninja stunts

Oh and DS2 just asked me to sew a Ninja outfit for his stuffed puppy ...LOL... so not happening.. Halloween is tomorrow here and its already 9.30... just got the kids in bed so time to get it done...although I would rather not.. I detest making costumes

• Like 1