Menu

Does anyone else hate vegetables? They are so bitter!

Shellydon

Just wondering if anyone else cannot tolerate most veggies.  I can eat lettuce, carrots, potatoes, limited raw spinach and a couple of others.  I find most veggies to be so overwhelmingly bitter that I just cannot eat them without gagging.  I take veggies capsules instead :drool:

Some I really don't like no matter how much I try. Things like chard. I can handle kale baked into chips in the oven and mustard greens fried on duck fat. I hated beets for years and MADE myself try them until I liked them. Spinach needs to be creamed, in a salad, or hiding in sauces, etc etc.

I don't love some veggies but I try to eat a ton. They do often have bitter notes. Getting them fresh in season helps. But most of all I've discovered some prep methods make the bitterness worse and others completely transform the flavor :)

Some I really don't like no matter how much I try. Things like chard. I can handle kale baked into chips in the oven and mustard greens fried on duck fat. I hated beets for years and MADE myself try them until I liked them. Spinach needs to be creamed, in a salad, or hiding in sauces, etc etc.

I don't love some veggies but I try to eat a ton. They do often have bitter notes. Getting them fresh in season helps. But most of all I've discovered some prep methods make the bitterness worse and others completely transform the flavor :)

Acid helps to cut the bitter.  Splashing lemon juice or red wine vinegar on bitter veggies might help.

• Like 3

I only started liking them about 10 years ago, and now I love them for some reason!  But I don't think it was because they tasted bitter;  they just didn't taste good to me and I didn't like their texture.  I've also learned how to prepare them better!

Maybe you have something like the "cilantro gene."  Have you heard of that?  Apparently scientists have been able to identify a gene that some people have that makes cilantro taste like soap.

• Like 1

I only started liking them about 10 years ago, and now I love them for some reason! But I don't think it was because they tasted bitter; they just didn't taste good to me and I didn't like their texture. I've also learned how to prepare them better!

Maybe you have something like the "cilantro gene." Have you heard of that? Apparently scientists have been able to identify a gene that some people have that makes cilantro taste like soap.

For years one of my sons told me cilantro tastes like soap. I thought that was silly. I felt silly when I found out it was a real thing.

• Like 3

I do very well with certain types of vegetables. Tomatoes cooked, bell peppers, celery, green beans, and legumes are all okay. For what reason I will never understand, turnips and sweet potatoes taste like dirt, broccoli is bitter raw and cooked has an odor that is very hard for me to stand, and carrots aren't sweet like they are to others they are very, very bland so I can tolerate them just not enjoy them. Kale is awful, but can handle a small amount of spinach as long as I have other things I like with it.

So I eat a lot of the ones I enjoy like bell peppers, legumes, celery, and green beans.

The weird thing for me is that I do well with citrus and tart apples, but sweet fruits taste abominably bland. I have no idea why.

My husband, on the other hand, has never met a food he doesn't like except beet greens and dandelion. He even tolerates my sil's completely horrible, burnt, scorched, dried out food and says, "It is not that bad!" When in fact, it is an abomination the the tongue!!!

I hated veggies until I seriously cut out sugar in my diet. My tastes seemed to change and now I quite like sitting down to a salad. Seriously. Try cutting out sugar completely for a month, then add a little back in and see if there's a difference

• Like 4

I don't find most of them very bitter (and I adore sugar and eat entirely too much of it.)

In fact, a number of veggies have a sweet flavor to them.

However, as another poster mentioned, I think that some people have taste buds that makes it so that veggies taste bitter to them. You may be one of those people. Or maybe it is a matter of cutting out sugar for you.

I only started liking them about 10 years ago, and now I love them for some reason!  But I don't think it was because they tasted bitter;  they just didn't taste good to me and I didn't like their texture.  I've also learned how to prepare them better!

Maybe you have something like the "cilantro gene."  Have you heard of that?  Apparently scientists have been able to identify a gene that some people have that makes cilantro taste like soap.

I have heard of that.  Oddly, I quite like cilantro.

Interesting.  I might try the sugar thing, though I don't eat much.  I keep tons of fresh chopped veggies around, my kids eat them constantly.  My husband loves brussel sprouts, all kinds of squash and every other kind of veggie, so I cook them often too.  I just don't eat them.  They are just so icky tasting.

Maybe you have something like the "cilantro gene." Have you heard of that? Apparently scientists have been able to identify a gene that some people have that makes cilantro taste like soap.

Wow, I never knew this! Cilantro has always tasted like soap.

I've always loved veggies more than fruit, even, but I HATE them if they are canned.   I don't know if you are eating them canned or fresh/frozen, but there is a huge difference.      I do usually put salt on them and sometimes butter.

The French say that you have to try something at least 12 times before you learn to like it, so perhaps there are some that you could try a few more times.  :)

I have a DS that can only eat corn, sweet peas, and squash. That's it. He has tried so many veggies. He WANTED to like broccoli so badly that he has tried it multiple times and runs gagging the minute he takes a bite. He eats very little sugar.

I quit smoking 6 weeks ago. I can't eat spinach now and I tried to eat Brussel sprouts the other night and had to choke them down. I think DS may have come by it naturally.

I don't eat sugar. 

I've improved dramatically on how they were cooked in my childhood.

I've tried all sorts of fancy vege cooking options, from less is more to more more more... sauces, dressings... everyone ELSE loves my vegetables.  I've tried them mulriple times.  I still can't stand 'em.

I like cilantro, but can't stand anything with chilli, thyme tastes like dirt and coffee is so bitter I cannot imagine why anyone would want to drink it. 

I think my tastebuds are extra sensitive, lol!

I would agree that roasting them with a coat of melted butter and generously salting and peppering helps. Roast until they brown a bit--that's carmelization and it makes them sweeter.

I don't mind vegetables myself but roasted veggies taste positively sweet to me.

I also used to get some into my kids blended into a smoothie.

I hope you find something that works. Also, I will sometimes caramelize my vegetables before adding them to a pilaf or soup, even. I roast them in a pan first then add them. This especially works for beets, brussels sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower. Good luck.

• Like 1

I've always loved veggies more than fruit, even, but I HATE them if they are canned.   I don't know if you are eating them canned or fresh/frozen, but there is a huge difference.      I do usually put salt on them and sometimes butter.

The French say that you have to try something at least 12 times before you learn to like it, so perhaps there are some that you could try a few more times.   :)

We only do fresh. We even have a huge garden in the spring/summer with all kinds of things that I can't stand. LOL 

I do need to try things more often. 

• Like 1

I think my tastebuds are extra sensitive, lol!

It sounds like they are. Honestly, I would listen to your mouth. If you are avoiding processed foods and eating seasonal fruits as you can you'll probably be fine. There's no reason in my opinion that everyone in the world has to eat a globe's worth of food. You know? People used to eat much more limited diets than we have now, but they were still much more plant-based.

You might well eat better than me. I eat everything but I end up choosing to eat a lot of stuff that is meat-based. I doubt that's better than eating a cup of carrots every day.

It sounds like they are. Honestly, I would listen to your mouth.

I have multiple food allergies ranging from the mildly annoying to the life threatening to the just make me wish I was dead.  I have finally learnt to listen to my body when it comes to food. 

Some things are too bitter for me to eat, but I like most vegetables. The things I avoid due to bitterness are coffee, beer, brussell sprouts, stevia, and diet sodas. If a kid comes at me testing those awful science bitter strips I try to hide. That stuff clings to my tongue and I have to eat something to get rid of the bitterness. Diet soda does the same thing. I never intentionally order it, but sometimes they make a mistake.

• Like 1

Interesting.  I might try the sugar thing, though I don't eat much.  I keep tons of fresh chopped veggies around, my kids eat them constantly.  My husband loves brussel sprouts, all kinds of squash and every other kind of veggie, so I cook them often too.  I just don't eat them.  They are just so icky tasting.

I agree with others that roasting veg brings out the sweetness.  

Another very sweet veg is frozen peas - fresh peas have lost a lot of sweetness by the time they reach the shop, but if you buy frozen peas that say something like 'frozen within two hours of picking' then they will be sweet.

• Like 2

Haven't tried that. Bacon is good on everything.

Bacon wrapped asparagus is wonderful. Or shredded Brussels sprouts with bacon crumble.

Lately I'm a fan of cabbage salad, tossed in olive oil and lemon juice, seasoned to taste and topped with avocado. I bet some tomato and cucumber would go well in it.

Is cilantro used in Mexican cooking? DH and I went to a local Mexican restaurant last month and both of us thought the food tasted like soap! It was nasty!

The only veggies I really cannot stand the taste of are brussels sprouts, beets, radishes, and some nasty little green leaf thing I encountered in a bag of mixed greens one time that was very "hot" tasting. I threw the whole bag away.

All I have to contribute to this thread is sharing with you that as I read the replies I hear my eldest child in my head saying, "Potatoes, bell peppers, tomatoes, peas are not vegetables, Mom." 

This kid loves plants and he will tell you exactly when you have put a plant into an incorrect category. I catch myself now and cut him off, "Yes, sorry! Bell peppers are fruit. Okay, okay. We're having fruit in our stir fry." 

Kids do love to correct mom don't they?  :lol:

I agree with others that roasting veg brings out the sweetness.  

Another very sweet veg is frozen peas - fresh peas have lost a lot of sweetness by the time they reach the shop, but if you buy frozen peas that say something like 'frozen within two hours of picking' then they will be sweet.

Oddly peas are one of my least favorite vegetables (and I like most of them).  I'll eat them, but nope, I don't care for them. 

I don't like sweets though.  So maybe that's it.

• Like 1

Try using various sauces. Yes, I know it will add fat and other less desirable things to the dish, but if it is the nutrients from veggies that you want, sauces can help cut the bitter taste. I learned how to really cook veggie while living in China. Often, there is a sweet, spicy sauce that the veggies are cooked in. Even my daughter likes them when we cook the Chinese way:)

Not me! I love almost all vegetables. A few leafy greens I don't like (turnip greens, kale, chard). I love them roasted, steamed or raw; i rarely boil any vegetable.

P.S. I am not a "supertaster, " though.

I've been eating organically for the last 8 years. When I now try non-organic veggies, I'm shocked how tasteless they are, and often bitter. I'm used to bell peppers being sweet, but not too long ago I had a non-organic one and I couldn't eat it...it was terrible.

Same goes for fruit. I love the juicy and sweet organic fruits, but a non-organic banana can be so tasteless. I find it worth the extra bucks.

I have heard of that.  Oddly, I quite like cilantro.

I'm a supertaster/bitter gene person and I love cilantro.

I find roasting veggies helps a ton. I grew up with canned and frozen vegs and hated hated hated them. I always liked salad, though. Now I eat a lot of salad! And I can handle a few more veggies.

What I want to know is, how do we describe things that we don't like as having tastes we've never actually tasted--For example, how do people describe cilantro as tasting like soap if they've never tasted soap? :lol: