Menu

What age to WATCH The Wizard of Oz?

We recently finished reading some of the Oz books and I was thinking of watching the (Judy Garland, 1930s) film version just for fun and so we could have a discussion about the differences between the book and the film, etc. Common Sense Media originally had the movie listed at age 10+, but now lists it for age 6+, so I'm unsure when to show it. I don't want to give my children nightmares! (I know that as the youngest child in a large family I saw it very young and it did give me nightmares, but I thought maybe it would be okay for at least my 8-year-old.) Thoughts? If you've shown it, what age were your kids at the time? Thanks!

It just depends on the kid. If your child is prone to being disturbed by those kinds of things, wait.

I have one who still can't watch Mufasa die in the lion king (spoiler alert lol) and another that is complete unphased. The unphased one is the younger!

I always err on the side of waiting!

It just depends on the kid. If your child is prone to being disturbed by those kinds of things, wait.

I have one who still can't watch Mufasa die in the lion king (spoiler alert lol) and another that is complete unphased. The unphased one is the younger!

I always err on the side of waiting!

This made me LOL! :-) Thanks for your thoughts! 

I also think it really depends on your DC.  My DC aren't very sensitive to potentially scary movies/stories.  I'd be okay with my almost 6yo watching it, but I can see other DC having issues with it.  Those flying monkeys scared me when I was a kid!   :lol:

We are reading Oz right now and I've been planning on having them watch it.

• Like 1

when i saw it as a kid, both the monkeys and dorothy hamilton's witch character scared me too near the end, but when she got melted i think i breathed a sigh of relief.  do you guys remember when people read "grimm" fairy tales  as young children?  those were pretty scary too i recall.  also disney's snow white, bambi, etc..., not to mention the old testament, which however i recall was reserved for much older reading.

• Like 1

It was the first movie my kids watched, a little before age 2.  They have watched it many times since then.

My smarter kid found the flying monkeys a bit much, but I still view it as a kid movie.  I would not restrict it unless I had a very sensitive kid.

When I was a kid, I also watched it every Thanksgiving, starting before I can remember.

I love that movie!

• Like 1

We've read the book (and my kids were raised on Grimm from infant hood) but I still wouldn't personally show the movie to either of my kids (6 and 7). There's something so overwhelming about movies. When you are reading it's up to your imagination, ya know?

Then again the list if movies my kids have been traimitized by include Finding Nemo, Brave, and one version of Whinnie the Poo. So....

• Like 5

I was going to recommend this Amazon show:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B00Z89MYTI?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

That DS loved about Oz but for some reason its listed as unavailable. I have no idea what that means but it was a great show that DS watched a lot if it ever becomes available again or if they make it into a series.

• Like 1

I say whenever. I also think that it's hard to predict what kids will find really scary. I myself thought the old Willy Wonka movie was possibly one of the most disturbing things on the planet as a child. My kids were like, what, this is nothing. On the other hand, at age 5, they did completely lose it watching the old Disney animated Alice in Wonderland. Apparently shrinking and growing is really freaky.

• Like 6

I say whenever. I also think that it's hard to predict what kids will find really scary. I myself thought the old Willy Wonka movie was possibly one of the most disturbing things on the planet as a child. My kids were like, what, this is nothing. On the other hand, at age 5, they did completely lose it watching the old Disney animated Alice in Wonderland. Apparently shrinking and growing is really freaky.

OMG yes, that scene where Willy Wonka goes through the tunnel on the boat?! That freaked me out for years! lol. That movie is so creepy. (But my husband and I often quote that movie, shouting "GOOD DAY!" at each other in mock-anger as our running joke, so...there's that, lol.)

• Like 1

My kids were both very sensitive about movies and special effects when they were preschool through early elementary ages. I think we waited to show them the Wizard of Oz until the younger was about 8. I remember watching it as a child when I was around 10 and my younger sister was 5, and she had nightmares for months about the flying monkeys.

• Like 1

:svengo: Do not do what my dh did, show them The Wizard of Oz at 2 1/2. Because it's scary? No, because you will be buying little red shoes for the rest of your child's life!! My sensitive dd wouldn't watch a lot of movies but she started with this one and it didn't bother her. Well she thought the trees were a little creepy. 

• Like 2

:svengo: Do not do what my dh did, show them The Wizard of Oz at 2 1/2. Because it's scary? No, because you will be buying little red shoes for the rest of your child's life!! My sensitive dd wouldn't watch a lot of movies but she started with this one and it didn't bother her. Well she thought the trees were a little creepy. 

So funny--Ds and I went to a consignment store this summer to look for stuff for his niece/my granddaughter (for the shower). We walked in and immediately saw a table full of little shoes. Ds ("Film Buff") picked up a pair of sparkly, newborn "Dorothy" shoes, raised his eyebrows at me...and we bought them. LOL!

• Like 2

Mine just watched it for the first time a few weeks ago. The youngers and I had just finished reading the book. My almost 7 year old was not phased in the least. My 9 year old was sorely disappointed at "all the good stuff from the book that they left out." I think the porcelain city was highly anticipated, but then when it wasn't in the movie, that was a big ol' let down.

Honestly, I think mine were really only so-so about it. The special effects were very dated and all the singing was off putting for a couple of them. It certainly didn't have the magical effect that I remember.

It was interesting to read on how/why they chose to make it different from the book.  

• Like 1

Mine just watched it for the first time a few weeks ago. The youngers and I had just finished reading the book. My almost 7 year old was not phased in the least. My 9 year old was sorely disappointed at "all the good stuff from the book that they left out." I think the porcelain city was highly anticipated, but then when it wasn't in the movie, that was a big ol' let down.

Honestly, I think mine were really only so-so about it. The special effects were very dated and all the singing was off putting for a couple of them. It certainly didn't have the magical effect that I remember.

It was interesting to read on how/why they chose to make it different from the book.  

Aren't the changes so interesting?! I saw the movie first when I was a kid and read the book later. I was shocked to learn her shoes in the novel are silver, not ruby, lol. And yes, the china country is my favorite part of the novel; I always wished that was included. Thanks for your thoughts!

That's funny because we had the opposite reaction.  We watched the movie first and then heard great things about the book.  We just couldn't get into the book at all.  It just seemed to drag with one not so interesting adventure after another.  At the end of the book we had decided that the movie did a better job of distilling the adventure story and leaving out the boring parts.

But then, we're not really a family of readers.