Menu

What grade are you in?

The grade they would be in school based on California's birthday cutoff.   It is the most convenient answer for us.  My DS10 is big for size though so strangers would ask how old he is after that. My DS9 is small for size so no one questions his answer.

By age.

Both of my sons will say "3rd grade." But both are capable of HS level input and output in math and Spanish, HS level input for economics, civics and history and capable of 6th-8th grade output in most other subjects.

We use the grade they would be in if they attended public school to normal strangers. If it is a situation that more detail is needed then he/she would add something like, "But I am in Algebra 2 for math."

Most of the time, that level of detail isn't necessary and people are just trying to figure out how to group kids.

• Like 2

We used to answer based on age-pegged grade. Nowadays DS just says "I'm homeschooled, I'm 12" and it seems to satisfy people (and makes him happy too because he thinks answering with age-based grade sounds so iffy in his case, because we stopped using grade levels a long time ago, and the grade level answer feels like lying to him).

• Like 1

Age grade, mostly, although sometimes it gets a little more iffy (DD was asked at a herp conference if she was in high school, and her response was "sort of-I'm taking high school chemistry and auditing college biology and zoology" which, in that case, was probably a better answer than her age grade)

• Like 4

Thank you!

Dd has been struggling with this.  I've been telling her to just say she's going into 5th, but the moment of decision comes and she can't answer.  I think, like a pp, she feels like she's lying.  Then, we wind up with an awkward conversation where I'm trying to explain, "You know, homeschoolers, sometimes we do a little of this and that and aren't really in one grade."  Cue the blank stare, and I move the subject away from school.

It will be helpful to her to think about WHY they want to know.  The most recent time, it was an adult at a new church who was just trying to make conversation with our family.  She said, "And what grade are you in?"  Dd, "Uh...uh...uh..."  I was willing her to remember to just say 5th, but, she didn't....

• Like 1

I think, like a pp, she feels like she's lying.  

It will be helpful to her to think about WHY they want to know.  

So far the ones that ask are YMCA, Library for summer programs and the state parks because they have enrichment programs that go by grades.  If it is strangers asking, then they are just curious about age.

My DS9 actually turned round once at an activity booth and yelled "Mommy what grade am I in?".  DS10 answered for him.

• Like 2

My daughter really wanted to "start kindergarten" a year early, because most of her friends were starting then. So she gives the answer that has her one grade above age placement. For specific extracurriculars that are grade-based, we look at how it would fit best for her.

Mine all answer the grade they'd be by age if they attended a brick and mortar school, regardless what the numbers on their books are. What people really want to know is about how old you are and which tidy little box they can sort you into. 99% of the time they really don't care what the number on the cover of their books is.

Just wait until you've got a smart-alecky adolescent who tells people, "I don't know, I'm not in school." Which makes me need to jump in to clarify that we homeschool and she's in X grade.

I had one that would politely inform people that schools are for fish.

• Like 7

My son just responds with his age grade - in his mind he is a typical rising 5th grader.  We don't really discuss with him that he's advanced in some areas.  Obviously, he knows that he learns more quickly than many people his age - but he knew that by the time he was in 1st grade in PS.  I don't discuss what grade level books he is using for the most part, which is why I'm especially happy about the curriculum we selected for this year, none have a grade level plastered all over the front of the book. 

He also knows that he learns differently than other kids, and his interest level in school is different than them.  So I just talk about how we are choosing curriculum based on his abilities and interests, with no grade level associated with that.

We used to do age grade, but then my son went to a b&m school and was actually enrolled a grade two years above age, so he said the grade he was enrolled in.  Now that we're homeschooling again, he says either 8th, 9th, or 10th depending on the circumstance.

• Like 1

If it is needed for registration for an activity, DD generally checks off grade 6, which is the grade she would be in if we had not pulled her out of school. If she wanted to sign up for something that is designated for a higher grade, and the program seemed to be a good fit, I have allowed her to check off a different number.

If asked in conversation, DD usually says something like:

"I am officially registered as a 6th grader, but since we homeschool, I follow an 8th or 9th grade curriculum, depending on the subject."

So far the ones that ask are YMCA, Library for summer programs and the state parks because they have enrichment programs that go by grades.  If it is strangers asking, then they are just curious about age.

My DS9 actually turned round once at an activity booth and yelled "Mommy what grade am I in?".  DS10 answered for him.

This has happened to me a few times with DS turning around to ask me. One time he was at the library and the librarian asked him and he started "err"ing and "aah" ing and before he could turn to me to ask, the librarian herself volunteered, "oh, are you homeschooled?". :lol: She's probably used to homeschooled kids in our city asking their moms (or older sibs).

• Like 1

Age-based grade here, too.  If the circumstances warrant it, I might add something like "she's a strong reader" (often people will ask because she's just read something and surprised them).  

I've told my kids that the grade level printed on the book is not necessarily the grade they're in - the people who wrote the book made their best guess about when kids would be ready to learn this material, but some kids might be ready earlier and some kids might be ready later, and it's okay for kids to learn it whenever they're ready.  

• Like 1

Just wait until you've got a smart-alecky adolescent who tells people, "I don't know, I'm not in school." Which makes me need to jump in to clarify that we homeschool and she's in X grade.

DS started doing this at 7 just to be perverse. It's funny to see the reactions. Then he adds that he doesn't go to traditional school but if he did he would be in whatever grade he would be in (though sometimes he has to ask me).

Ds always replies that he doesn't go to school. He says it an offhand way that is pretty funny. "Oh, school? Yeah, I don't do that." I used to be mortified and jump in to explain that we homeschool and that yes, he does do "school". Now I just chuckle and let people ask him follow-up questions because his answers are entertaining. "Well, sometimes we do science and stuff..." (see signature for all the things he doesn't think are school)

• Like 1

My BIL and his collegue were in town for a business trip and meet us for dinner. The colleague asked which grades my boys are in. My BIL replied that my kids are homeschooled. The colleague then asked which grades my boys would be in if in school. The colleague was told my boys age so he was plainly curious about the corresponding grade level in school.

The colleague then went on to ask about homeschooling and college admission.

• Like 1

Age grade for A., who is unevenly accelerated and tends to be emotionally "young" and is very very sensitive.  DH and I don't want him to graduate early relative to age. 

N. is a bit more complicated; he's evenly accelerated (less ahead in math, more in language arts than sibling at same age), mature for his age ... he'll be starting K at our charter, but is more-or-less Grade 1 in my head.   DH and I think he may benefit from a one-year early graduation, too (followed by a gap year).  I'll have to figure it out for him.  

• 4 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure C would just say "3rd grade", since he was in public school 2nd grade before the summer and this will be his first year homeschooling. I've heard B answer recently with "1st grade, I'm skipping kindergarten" when some older kid (10yo or so) asked him what grade he was in because he used such advanced vocabulary. For swim&gym he's tentatively in the 3-4yo age group again this year, because they use a summer cut-off, even though the district they align their schedule with has a Dec 1st cut-off.

We use the grade they'd be based on their age. If they were drastically ahead in all areas and I anticipated them graduating early I might skip them a grade ahead. Likewise if a kid was close to the cutoff and immature I might wait an extra year to start them. I figure when most people ask that question they aren't really asking whether my kid is learning addition or division....they just want to know their general age and maturity. 

• Like 1

My DD says, "I am homeschooled...." which she thinks explains everything. Of course many people who ask here know nothing about homeschooling and tend to get lost on that point without caring about the grade. If they continue to ask about the grade she will say "2nd grade but I am doing 5th grade maths."

DD(6) said '5th' recently when asked...it's the grade on her math book. 

DD, at about that age, once paused and then said "Um...6.2?"---she'd divided the grade on her various books. She was also very, very upset when I brought home MPH Science 5A and 5B-because, after all, she was 6!!

• Like 4

Ooh, ooh, dd shocked me with her response to this question at a get- together we had today.

Our Wordsmith email (thanks Quark for the recommendation!) included the idiom 'tilting at windmills' this weekend, a Don Quixote reference. Dd5 and I read these together.

At the party someone asked dd what grade she was in and she answered airily, "oh, I homeschool. Choosing a grade is just tilting at windmills." Then ran off to throw sticks into the water.

I just about died laughing.

Of course, that was after she informed the hostess that a lady had left the toilet looking like it had chickenpox😳

• Like 4

I'd give age based grade as most are interested in social age.

My 11th grader answered that question this morning as "Uhh, I don't remember." Makes him sound really smart with answers like that.

Mine have said stuff like, "I don't know because my mother never told me."  LOL

Age based grade is a tricky one for one of my kids.  His birthday is in January.  We lived in 2 different states with 2 completely different cut off ages.  He would have been placed in a different grade in each place.  And then to further complicate things, the cut offs for grade placement as homeschoolers differs from both of those cut offs.  Although technically I can place him in any grade I want.  Although I see it as so arbitrary I don't see the point except that they insist I say what grade he is in. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure C would just say "3rd grade".

And, yes, he did say 3rd grade, when someone asked him if he was in kindergarten. Which then was misheard as 1st grade. Ugh. I ended up intervening before C got too upset and said "3rd grade... he's 8", which got the answer across. He'll have a new speech therapist this year, so who knows how that will work out.

Mine usually delivers a monologue something like this:

"I'm actually a boy. Boys can have long hair, you know. I don't go to school because I'd miss my mum too much and because at school kids aren't allowed to learn very fast or very slow, so I pretty much just do homeschool. I have a handwriting book and I'm a boss at little 'e's."

• Like 2

I build up the excitement for each new school year by saying, "You'll be starting X grade soon!"   I didn't think much of it until this year, when I realized that as a result, Savannah really doesn't have any confusion about what her grade is.  In my house, first grade means you're starting Ambleside Year 1... never mind that you're in 2nd grade math and reading at a 4th grade reading level while doing Kindergarten science and preschool level handwriting exercises.  One year into it, Savannah's nominal grade still corresponds to her AO year, and I don't see that changing as long as we're with AO.

That said, we started Savannah on Year 1 a couple months before she was 6, so when we go places where they group by grade, she's a tad younger than the kids in her class.  I think that's a good place for her now; unless it's sports, I think she'd fit in best with kids a little older rather than a little younger.