Menu

Class of 2016 check-in

For those of us with seniors (12th grade) that will graduate in 2016, I thought we might hold hands and keep each other accountable. :D

What are you working on right now that is geared toward helping your student graduate and apply for college and/or prepare for life beyond homeschool and high school?

If you don't have a senior, but are a veteran of the process, please speak up and let us know what we should be focusing on. While I have two older children, Sailor Dude is my first one going on to college, so I want to make sure I stay on track and don't get distracted by things like exchange students arriving in a couple of weeks or the amazing hot spell we are having.

I am wrapping up my syllabi for this year's College Board audit. I am so early, they will think someone hacked my account. One is approved and one goes in today. Then I need probably two days to finish up course descriptions and revamp Sailor Dude's transcript. Dh is finally building the college information worksheet.

Anyone else busy on next year?

• Like 4

I have one graduating next year. She is the swimmer, so core course worksheets and NCAA stuff was mailed about 2 weeks ago. Admission transcripts and course descriptions are current. She has been fielding calls non-stop since yesterday morning. She is not a superstar academic kid, so her schedule for next year is pretty normal (physics, English, history, calc 1, and an art elective) except for Japanese 3 and 4 at the cc.

ACT taken twice. She improved enough. She is done with that.

Right now, she has to narrow the list for official visits.

• Like 4

Another mom of a senior here.

Nagging DD to work on college list and portfolio (she's an art major). She sent an email to a college complaining about a GED for homeschool admissions (that I helped her write) this week.

I finished my working draft for the common app school profile. Only a couple tweaks should be needed (i.e. for stuff I don't know yet like whether she will have time to continue flute lessons as a senior).

• Like 2

I'll be graduating my 3rd homeschooled child, Ds17, in 2016.  His transcript is in decent shape, but I haven't written any course descriptions yet (yikes!).  Fortunately I have pretty detailed notes because I give each child a working schedule for the year.  I'll still be sitting with a pile of books in front of the computer for a couple of days later this summer.  Ds did a lot of testing this past school year, so he's finished with all but four APs (Calc BC, both Physics C exams, and Psych).  I'm glad because he's all tested out!  He did well enough on the PSAT to make the cut, so we'll need to do the NM app in September.  And we're low income so we're going to work on the Questbridge app in August-September.

The only thing on my list for next week is to get him some shots.  He needs boosters, etc., and I want to do them a few at a time, so we'll start now.  Oh, and he needs to beef up his community service hours.  We're heading out the door to work in the food pantry garden in just a bit.

My dd graduated in 2010, so it's been awhile, and some things have changed.  I plan to be all ears this year!

• Like 2

My ds will be a senior this year, but, unfortunately we are still trying to complete his junior year.  Time management and staying motivated are a struggle.  He could actually be applying to some of his rolling admission schools already, but of course you need to finish junior year to do that.  I've stayed on top of course descriptions and the transcript from the beginning.  As you can imagine, it's very frustrating for me.  I have to keep reminding myself that I can only do my part, he has to do his.  Any words of advice?

Ashley

• Like 2

I definitely need some hand-holding. 

DS is going back and forth between an applied science or math career (geologist, meteorologist, actuary, etc.) and full-time ministry. Obviously, those are two very different paths with different college choices. So we are treading water here. We've toured a large research university, a top-notch liberal arts college, and a Christian college. There are a couple of mid-size universities that son may want to tour, and there is another Christian school that he has mentioned. DH and I are encouraging him to pick an undergrad degree, and then when he finishes that, he can go to seminary if he still feels that pull. 

His senior year course load is definitely lighter than the first three years of high school, but he has landed an awesome job locally that will look just as good on his resume as more coursework would, so I'm not particularly concerned about it. 

He may have to take the SAT in the fall if he makes the NM cutoff. His junior score is precariously close to the historic cutoff for our state (whereas his sophomore score is well above it...will I ever get over this??? lol!). Otherwise, he is finished with testing. 

I am trying to find sneaky ways to spend more time with him. :-) Anyone else know that feeling?? 

• Like 3

My dd should be a junior next year, but at this point, we are planning to graduate her at the end of the year, so even though I don't like to admit it yet, I'll be a mom of a senior two years in a row.

Things we're doing right now:

She is taking a couple of summer school classes at the local CC

Studying for another shot at the ACT (she has to make a score we set before we will let her graduate and she didn't hit it in her first attempt)

Working on college application essays.

She is also working and spending a ton of time playing with friends so she'll be ready to buckle down for her final push. Most of her classes next year will be taken at the CC, so I have very lithe to prep.

• Like 2

Y'all are making me feel old.  Middle son graduates from college next spring.  (Even though he's staying for his U's Take 5 free fifth year program, he still graduates with his class in 2016.)

It seems like yesterday that I was posting in threads like this and worrying about the Common App and APs, etc.  Now y'all are reminding me of just how quickly 4 years can fly by.   :glare:

I will enjoy watching your offspring though, so carry on.

• Like 7

My youngest is senior now.

She will be leaving in one week to do a one-week Summer Fashion Lab in New York at a school she is interested in and then I will fly down there to meet her and tour several other schools that she is also interested in. Neither of us has ever been to New York, so it should be a lot of fun.

She is finishing up her summer class on Monday. Six week sessions are very intense.

She has taken the SAT and the ACT. While I would love for her to retake one of them, she just can't handle the anxiety it causes. 

• Like 4

I will have two seniors this coming year, and they couldn't be more different.

One seems to be chugging along nicely.  She's my introvert, computer-science, maybe physics interested kid.  She did great on the ACT, has all her SAT2s done and did well on them, is in ps taking all honors/AP classes and made almost all A's (one B+) on her final grades.  She just got herself an "unpaid internship" at a math/robotics place for the summer - she doesn't mind not being paid, as she hasn't really managed to rack up practically any volunteer hours so far in high school, and they said it could turn into a paid job in the fall.  Other than that this summer, she's going to work on her essay (although not even started yet), take driver ed, and go to a short (2-day) summer program at RIT (currently her first choice). 

My other dd is the one who started homeschooling again this year.  She did do better on the ACT than the SAT (a respectable score but not spectacular); I think she could do even better with a re-take, but she says she's done with tests (except for some SAT2s in October).  She is a perfectionist, and gets anxious when she feels like she's falling short, and this can also gum her up on the high-stakes tests.  She did a few dual-enrollment courses this year, math online, and is still finishing up her US History.  She pretty much bailed on her two PAHS classes (asynchronous is not for her, it turns out).  She took the APs anyway - continued with a tutor for one and self-studied for the other - we'll have to see how she did when scores come out (is that this week?).  She thinks she did well on the Spanish, but not so sure about Biology.

She decided on her own to ask the ps if they'd let her dual-enroll with them for senior year rather than as a homeschooler, as long as they accepted her junior year credits (she was at the ps for 9th/10th).  I was shocked when they didn't just say 'no'.  So we're working on getting all her stuff together for them.  I'm not sure yet if it will work out - the CC credits from this year are fine of course, but there's the homegrown history, and for some reason they're balking at her Spanish credit - which for half the year was done with their own AP teacher as her tutor.  And we have to find enough "PE" hours for a credit or two, and make up a "tech" credit - so she's also doing a free online Adobe Lightroom course I found through the library.  I'm trying to decide what I'll do if they won't accept her Spanish from this year or Math for next year (which will be through WHA, not DE).  Those classes aren't 'required' for her to graduate from the ps (only 2 years of FL and 3 years of math), but it won't reflect what she really did, which is tons of FL (two APs - for which only Spanish 3 and 4 would be on the transcript, a semester of Icelandic the ps won't take, plus 1-2 semesters of Arabic at the CC which at least would be on the transcript), and 4 years of math, not 3.  And the AP Bio she did this year I'm not even asking them to consider.  If she didn't do well on the test, we might just 'forget' that ever happened; if she did I'll just put the test score with her other 'extras".   If the whole thing doesn't work out, at least it's making me get organized with all of the stuff I'd have to get together for college apps anyway, and if it works they will make the transcript and write the guidance counselor recommendation letter, and she gets a diploma from them, and she just does DE at the CC like she would have anyway.

This summer she's taking a week-long, 3-credit course at a State U in Maritime Archaeology (which the ps will not accept for high school credit because it's not at the CC?!).  Of course she is supposed to be working on her essay (also not started), and she's also applied for a job at Chipotle - interview tomorrow! And her friend from the NL is coming for 2.5 weeks.

I'd like to get some more summer college visits in - time seems to be slipping away - how is it July already??!!  And of course they are looking at completely different colleges.  I am a bit terrified to be going through this with two kids at once, when I really don't feel like I know what I'm doing - thank heavens for this board!  I'm considering whether I should hire someone to work on them with their essays?  That was recommended in another thread.

• Like 2

I'd suggest creating a spreadsheet or two to note deadlines and more.

I had headings such as:

Supp. Deadline
App. fee
Specific procedures for Homeschoolers
Interview req'd
Schlrshp competition dates
HS representative
Financial aid deadlines
Coll form
FAFSA
Fed Tax Returns/W-2 Forms

On a later spreadsheet, I had these headings:

Mid-Year Report
Notification
Schlrshp competition
Financial aid deadlines
Coll form
FAFSA
Returns

My daughter applied to ten colleges, and we didn't want to miss a deadline for the application, financial aid, or for scholarships.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 4

My oldest is a senior this year. I've got her school at home planned out. She is taking two classes at LeTourneau this fall - Accounting and the second English class.

She still hasn't decided a major. She is working on that this summer along with a list of possible schools. We visited a variety this spring, so I'm expecting to have to visit more this fall.

ACT and SAT scores are in and very good. She shouldn't have any problems.

We are in TX, so I shouldn't have any problems with transcripts or any other extra work.

It is going to be a busy year with school, college visits, and her volunteer work.  

• Like 2

I have a senior this year. At this point, we are both a bit :willy_nilly: :willy_nilly: willy-nilly and crazified over this whole thing.

We've laughed a lot, hugged a ton, stayed up late a lot, yelled at each other a few times, and cried a little. She's got the tightest apron strings, so we're both struggling to disentangle from one another so it won't be so bad all at once. This year is going to be one heck of a ride. :crying: :lol: :grouphug: :lurk5: DH is convinced we're both going to need therapy when it's all said and done. ;)

I am going to miss her terribly. It'll still be good, of course.... different, but good. But, my oh my, I am going to miss hugging her in person multiple times a day, and hearing her crappy music throughout the house, and seeing her unfinished (and mostly forgotten) knitting projects all over the house... *sigh*

• Like 4

I have a senior again this year!  Right now we are just trying to get through the summer-she has been busy, busy, busy!  She has taken SAT twice and ACT once. I want her to take the ACT again, but we'll see.  She is happy with her score and wants to be done.  She did a few DE courses last year and will do history and math as DE this year.  She has a ton of credits already, so she is just taking College Algebra (Fall), PreCalc (Spring), World History I & II, Physics, Latin III (maybe...), and doing a senior project that will involve an internship, hopefully.  We may throw another English class in, but she already has 5.5 solid English credits, plus speech and debate, so I don't know.  Right now she is at the Great Ideas Summer Institute at Samford University, and is loving it.  They are her top choice, along with Mercer and American University in Rome.  She competes for the Distinguished Young Women of Georgia in a couple of weeks, so we are hoping for some scholarship money!! She still doesn't have her driver's license, so we have to do driver's ed, also-yuck! She is an awful driver, which is a never-ending source of enjoyment for her brothers! :glare:

I am just going to roll up in a ball and die when this girl leaves home.  She is such a joy.  She is such a helper, and so sweet and kind to her sibling, and always encouraging all of us (and everyone she knows) to do hard things.  It has been an amazing ride to homeschool her. 

Ok, I'm gonna go cry now. :crying:

• Like 1

My PS senior just graduated (he was home educated until 8th) and is leaving for college this summer.  I was supposed to have a homeschooled senior this year (class of 2016) - but boy do things change!  He started taking dual enrollment classes last fall, just 2 classes a semester.  With of his LD's I was thrilled at how well he did.  Well - lo and behold - he's going to college full time a year early.  He'll be doing 15 units at the CC in the Fall and then going to WNMU in Silver City New Mexico in January!  I never would have thought this could happen even a few years ago.  I'm excited, but also mourning my last year home schooling him :(  A lot of plans got scrapped.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For those of us with seniors (12th grade) that will graduate in 2016, I thought we might hold hands and keep each other accountable. :D

What are you working on right now that is geared toward helping your student graduate and apply for college and/or prepare for life beyond homeschool and high school?

Hi Lisa!!  Long time no talk.

My oldest is going into Grade 12 this coming year - I cannot believe it.  I started on these forums when he was...6 or 7 years old and my dd was 4 or 5!!!

Hmm....over the past year and a half or so, I've been focusing on having him take some SAT subject tests (physics, chemistry, and Math II this coming year) so that he could have outside validation on his transcript.  There are so few high school homeschoolers around here that I constantly get the question, "How are you going to do high school science, esp. since he wants to go to university??"  It turns out he did very well on the physics and chemistry tests, thankyouverymuch (and BIG thanks to WTM, it's authors, and these forums!!!).

And he took the SAT in June and did VERY well in all three sections.   So that milestone is passed and checked off my list.

He has had one campus tour so far at a local university.  He might do a couple more locally.  He's not really sure yet where he wants to apply or even when he wants to go - he might take a gap year to work and save some money.  But we'll be looking into how that might affect scholarship opportunities.  Which is the next thing I have to start looking into more deeply in the next few months.  I do have an outline of application deadlines and such.  He will ask various places about taking a gap year after being accepted.  He probably won't apply to lots of schools....that might be a Canadian thing to not apply to tons of places.  But we have some decent schools with lots of science and math programs in our region, and they all seem to be looking for local students so that the maritime provinces don't empty of young people.

He just spent a week at a math camp sponsored by the Canadian Mathematical Society - he was one of just twenty students in the province chosen to attend!!!!  I cobbled together a nomination package for him (schools could nominate two students, so I nominated my one who was eligible to apply :D  ) - I found two local uni profs/friends who could vouch for his mathematical love and abilities and got them to write reference letters, I wrote a letter explaining our grading system (I had to submit grades), and I had ds write out a math problem of his choosing that would demonstrate his ability.  I don't think I would have thought to do all of this had I not been reading here on the forums for so many years, so, thanks for all of your help with getting him this opportunity!  :D  He had a GREAT time spending a week with fellow math geeks, and he hopes to get together with two or three of the ones who LOVED solving math problems even in between the lectures/meals/social events - these guys live within 45 minutes of us, and I plan to make this happen.  He needs to be around them.  So anyway, the camp was run by a local university's math dept., so he also got to meet more professors there.  (mom brag alert)  The leader told me at the end of the week that he, the other profs, and the students all noticed that ds "is very smart and interested." Another one told me that ds would just jump right into discussions during math lectures, whereas not many others would.  Anyway, I'm glad that ds now has more connections to at least one school he is interested in.

So, ds is going to study math (he's working on Dolciani's analysis book - I think it's pre-cal level?  Then he'll take the SAT Math II test), rhetoric, biology, modern history, and modern lit. this coming year.  And he'll spend his free time pursuing interests in computer science/programming and other things that float across his radar, and working at odd jobs (raking, shoveling, mowing; running a sound system for funerals).  He has applied for a few different conventional jobs within biking distance, but no luck yet.  With the help of Dick Bolles's What Color is Your Parachute book for teens, I even had him create a cover letter and resume to take around to some small local businesses - we hope some odd jobs will come of that, too.  He currently is taking driver ed with a view to having a license by next spring.  And he's saving his money for driver insurance and eventually a vehicle.  If he goes to school locally, he can probably commute with local workers, get a ride to a nearby bus station, or drive a car if he has one by then.  So, I guess by talking about all this stuff is how we are preparing him for graduation and life beyond high school.  He has his own bank accounts and keeps his own books (he studied R&S recordkeeping course).

I just can't believe I'm here posting all this stuff - time has flown by.

• Like 4

My eldest is a senior this year. She is spending the next two weeks volunteering as a camp counselor. That will wrap up all of the volunteer hours she needs to apply for our state scholarship. Then she will back burner that, as I don't think she can actually apply until December.

She took the ACT again over the summer and is happy with her score, so testing is done. She plans to spend the first three weeks of August applying to all of her colleges. All of them have due dates between October 1st and November 1st (some early action and some not) so she wants to get them out of the way before senior classes begin.

She is also currently putting in applications, hoping to secure a part-time job before the hordes of college freshman arrive to town the second week of August. Finally, she is trying to find time to get all of her driving hours in so she can take her driving test. It has never been a priority, but I do want her to have it before she graduates.

All of her classes are dual enrollment, so I don't have anything to do there, other than purchase textbooks when the time comes. I prepared her transcript over the summer, knowing that she planned to apply to colleges early. I feel we are on top of everything and good to go. All that is left is getting used to the idea that our first child is getting ready to leave our home and set out on her own. :(

• Like 5

My oldest is a senior this year too.

Good news for the summer--when my computer died last spring I thought I had lost her transcript. Finally able to recover both transcript and computer last week! (Small panic attack that everyone else I know gives blank stares to that I'm sure y'all understand  :tongue_smilie: )

We are currently enjoying our yearly trip to visit family and friends and she is finishing up a few things (including summer reading assignments for next year's online courses).  We've also finished up 10 college visits and the final interview is tomorrow.  Just a couple weeks to relax before she has a month long internship.

I need to go home and write up one AP syllabus, order books, write my portion of the application process (counselor letter/school description/etc., prep for the year and get my course descriptions together.  

It was about a decade ago (to the day) that on one of these summer trips a good friend sat down with me and some notebook paper and pencil- we spent the next two weeks making lists, talking, and pouring over home school catalogs while she introduced me to this great adventure.  {There are days I'm impressed she's still willing to speak to me after all the questions I've had in the intervening years...but I am so very grateful and blessed that she does.}

• Like 4

My second son will be a senior this year. He has no idea what he wants to study in college. I have been much more laid-back with this kid, or maybe I'm just in denial. He's done one overnight college visit at the university where my husband teaches. We get free tuition there. My husband commutes, but it would be a little far for a student to commute. He'd live there. My son will apply to a couple other local Christian universities just in case he can get a tuition exchange. He really prefers to live at home.

He took the ACT last year and declared himself done. His score is high enough to get him into all the places he's looking to attend. No SATII tests or AP tests. He has taken two CLEP tests and plans to take one or two more this coming year. He took one online Young Scholar's college class at a state university last spring. He is enrolled for another one this fall. He's excited to get college credit. Besides that, he will be filling out college applications, taking community college classes and most likely finding a job this coming year.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up at this time next year.

• Like 1

My second daughter will graduate this year. Her plan is college, prob studying engineering and Chinese. I was pretty clueless about current college admission practices and pretty hands off with my first child, but know better and am doing some things differently this time.

She is done with testing, apart from end-of-senior-year APs. She's been doing some work on application essays over the summer, trying to get a jump on things to minimize fall stress! She has a challenging academic year ahead, along with a pretty full schedule of extracurriculars.

Look forward to following everyone's journey!

• Like 1

My rising senior is studying for both ACT and SAT...the SAT is new to us because midwest schools like the ACT and it is a two hour drive - one way - to get to a school that proctors it. But, he has a school on his list that prefers the SAT so he is going to give it a try. I have been lining up a Danish tutor for him since we have hit the wall getting a third year of Icelandic. I have to write a letter to Cornell explaining why he chose to study Icelandic and why he cannot get a third year and must make a switch to another language. This means he will have a credit of high school Latin, two of Icelandic - he is very talented in this language and can read and speak it very well...just can not get enough help with writing and literature studies - and a year of Danish. I think this is going to be a huge ding against him, but he wants to try.

I am also waffling between two different online calculus courses. One is a much better time for him. The other may have a better instructor.

We are really practicing essay writing. This is my budding scientist, field researcher here who has a hard time putting his thoughts on paper in a form that is not a clinical research paper of significant length. He is not a natural born essayist as my older two have been.

He has marine biology and ecology studies this year which he is really looking forward to along with some literary studies he finds interesting...a heavy focus on scientist such as Darwin, Newton, Tesla.

I will have to drag him through U.S. Government and Economics.

He will be at Michigan Tech for Aquatic Ecology Research camp (field studies on Lake Gratiot run by faculty and grad students) from July 26 - Aug. 1. The new school year for us begins Aug. 3rd. So I am starting to feel senioritis stress!

Mr. Happy go lucky nearly 17 year old is however quite chipper and more worried about getting new cowboy boots for his senior pictures!!!

Oh and we may begin the year with me driving the college freshman to classes. He has had a set back with his leg, is back on hydrocodone and flexural, and having enough leg pain, spasms, and muscle weakness that he cannot adequately depress the brake on the car. We need to find some other commuter students who he can car pool with and take of U of MI up on it's offer of a golf cart and driver to get him around campus. I am stressed about what this is going to do to my homeschool schedule with the other two boys, and even more so about the pain and set backs my son is experiencing.

• Like 1

My second (and youngest) will be a senior this year.  I am much less worried, having graduated one who was accepted into college and is doing very well.

My son took the ACT for a second time and is happy with his score. He's looking at majoring in Information Technology, as he loves computers and is not convinced he wants to take quite so much math.  He's been pretty set on one specific school. There's no doubt he'll get in, but his (realistic) goal is the honors program along with a fantastic scholarship.  We'd like to look at a few more colleges, though.

I really need to plan a day or two to work on his transcript!  I have NOTHING done! You'd think I'd have learned the first time, but nope.  ;)

We just registered him last week for DE through the local community college, and he'll be taking math (to fulfill a homeschooler-specific policy through his choice college) and a foreign language (I want two credits to graduate).

Our biggest challenge is to keep up his self-confidence.  He's a sharp and talented kid but has heard for years how smart his older sister is.

My only advice is to be deliberate in spending time with your kid.  Time is short; don't later regret missed opportunities that are available to you right now.

• Like 2

Guest Karen's Testimony

Hi, there! I am looking at some of the names of some of the people who are ringing in.  I know some of the moms from years ago when I use to come on the Well Trained Mind boards.  I was Karen's Testimony and then I went to just Testimony. 

I also have a senior in high school.  I am looking for grants and scholarships for my son.  I am not looking at loans because you can get a loan for college anywhere.  Finding grants and scholarships take time.  I have found some crazy scholarships to far and they are fun.  Here's two that I found interesting: 1. Tall person scholarship- if you are over 6 feet tall, there's money out there.

2. Short person scholarship- if you are under 4'10", there's money out there.

Tell me if you want me to tell you more.  I find this fascinating.

I have found some crazy scholarships to far and they are fun.  Here's two that I found interesting: 1. Tall person scholarship- if you are over 6 feet tall, there's money out there.

2. Short person scholarship- if you are under 4'10", there's money out there.

Fun, but not likely to pay for your son's college education. The ones that make a dent in tuition (such as the Coca-Cola, Gates, etc.) are highly competitive. Great if you can get 'em, but you can't count on them. Most private scholarships are unlikely to cover even a fraction of college costs at today's prices. The average amount received by students on private scholarships is just $2300. If you have a lower EFC, scholarships will reduce your eligibility for need-based aid as well, so the amount that your total bill goes down will not equal the amount you get in scholarships.

Pay close attention to researching individual colleges' financial aid policies and generosity. There are colleges where 100% of students get a grant or close to it. The best way to pay less for college is to choose your application list well.

• Like 1

I have one graduating next year. She is the swimmer, so core course worksheets and NCAA stuff was mailed about 2 weeks ago. Admission transcripts and course descriptions are current. She has been fielding calls non-stop since yesterday morning. She is not a superstar academic kid, so her schedule for next year is pretty normal (physics, English, history, calc 1, and an art elective) except for Japanese 3 and 4 at the cc.

ACT taken twice. She improved enough. She is done with that.

Right now, she has to narrow the list for official visits.

We are in the same boat! My son is a rower and is just narrowing down his official visit list. Have you heard from the NCAA? I need to call and find out if his courses are considered acceptable. What a nightmare filling all of those out was!

My son took the ACT, SAT (twice), and two subject tests and did very well. He's working on his college essays this summer so he won't have to do that and schoolwork. This is getting exciting!

• Like 1

We are in the same boat! My son is a rower and is just narrowing down his official visit list. Have you heard from the NCAA? I need to call and find out if his courses are considered acceptable. What a nightmare filling all of those out was!

My son took the ACT, SAT (twice), and two subject tests and did very well. He's working on his college essays this summer so he won't have to do that and schoolwork. This is getting exciting!

Is the ACT easier than the SAT? My son wants to take the ACT because he feels like its easier than the SAT. He took the SAT in the spring.

DS is a senior this year. I finally got this homeschool stuff down, well almost. He took the SAT in the spring, and wants to take the ACT in the fall. He feels like it might be easier to take. He's currently looking into schools including schools out of the country, but still can't decided on where he wants to go. We're  working on his senior schedule. Don't know what English courses to take since he already completed AP English Lit and Language.     

• Like 1

Is the ACT easier than the SAT? My son wants to take the ACT because he feels like its easier than the SAT. He took the SAT in the spring.

I'm not sure if it's easier or not.  Ds's ACT score was higher, percentage-wise, than the SAT on his first attempt.  But, it could have been because the SAT was the first test he took and didn't know what to expect.  

• Like 1

Hey Jennifer! It is my understanding that the NCAA will not tell you anything. I know that the only task left on dd1's checklist is final transcript/core course worksheets. Nothing will be reviewed unless a coach requests it. And then, it can only be preliminary (the coach may or may not be informed). Right now, they are still clearing athletes for the 2015-2016 year.

I am sure she has been requested to be reviewed; yesterday was a good day for $$ news.

• Like 3

Hey Jennifer! It is my understanding that the NCAA will not tell you anything. I know that the only task left on dd1's checklist is final transcript/core course worksheets. Nothing will be reviewed unless a coach requests it. And then, it can only be preliminary (the coach may or may not be informed). Right now, they are still clearing athletes for the 2015-2016 year.

I am sure she has been requested to be reviewed; yesterday was a good day for $$ news.

This seems so crazy to me! If my son needs to add something basic to his schooling that we somehow missed, I'd like to know sooner rather than later! My son has had a "pre-read" done on his application materials at a number of schools, but I don't believe any of them have contacted the NCAA for that information yet. I just want to make sure I haven't messed this up for him!

I'm another one. I'm way more stressed than DS at this point. So far the only schools on his list are ones that I suggested he look at. He really hasn't done any research on his own yet. I know that he should be doing this himself, however he has two weeks to a national competition and his spare time is spent studying/practicing for that. However since we start school the day after we return from the competition, I really need to start getting a feel for schools now during summer break because with 5 in homeschool, I will not have a lot of time to devote to college stuff and still keep the rest going on schoolwork. I haven't gotten anything written at this point. I have his grades recorded but need to make a pretty transcript. I have course descriptions from outside classes but will still have to write ones for classes he did at home (less than 50% of the total thankfully) and I have absolutely no idea what or how to write a counselor' letter. I have a long ways to go. I have one more class to finish lesson plans for a younger sibling and then I will be switching gears to this college stuff but it all seems so overwhelming and I'm not even sure where I want to start yet.

• Like 2

I have a rising Senior and we are new to homeschooling. She just switched from public school midyear of her junior year.  So right now, I am kind of overwhelmed by the stuff to do.

I am working on her transcript, which is weird since it is all from the public school, CC where she is now dual enrolled, and co-op. Trying to get her motivated on college stuff without causing too much anxiety.

She just decided to continue at the CC the first year, in which she will complete her AA degree, then transfer to local State U for Elem Ed. She has taken ACT, will retake for better score in October. 

I am a little nervous about her decision, simply that if she doesn't apply anywhere else and changes her mind, it may be too late, so I am trying to make peace with that. 

Cheryl

I refuse to accept that my third son is a rising senior.  One of his sisters asks us to stop talking anytime something is said that hints at college in a year.  

I did just today do his transcript including putting in courses for the coming year. And we decided on the final courses for this year.  And we talked about starting applications.  And he has almost decided to take the ACT again.  That is all I can handle for one day!  

• Like 1

It's not uncommon for students to consistently perform better on one test over the other.  I would encourage you to consider having your son take both, or at least getting an ACT test prep book to come up with an idea of where he might score.

Many, many schools now will take either test.  Of course, anyone should be sure what their possible colleges accept.  It used to be that the SAT was much more accepted, but that's no longer the case.

I'd always heard that the tests were different and that kids might consider taking both.  I didn't believe it until my older dd scored an equivalent of several hundred points higher on the ACT than her SAT. She took both tests twice.  My son (a rising senior) was frustrated by the SAT test prep and opted out of it completely.  He chose to take only the ACT, and he also took it twice, improving his score by four, which made us both very happy!

• Like 2

Our second son is a senior and our first son just graduated.  Must of our curriculum is in but there are a few electives that he is still considering.  He runs for the public high school cross country team so we usually add additional subjects when the season is wrapping up.  Final ACTs will be taken in the fall and he is going to start some classes at the local college in January.  We are starting to get his portfolio in order and will begin applying for scholarships in the fall.  Senior pictures are scheduled for November.  We will also be taking a few college tours in the fall and spring.  In addition to having a senior in high school, we also have a freshman in college, a freshman in high school, and a seventh grader.

• Like 1

My son completed his first year of college and my daughter is starting her senior year, so I have a little bit of experience with this. 

First, realize that many colleges have early admissions application due dates for scholarship consideration. You may be able to wait until Spring, but if you apply in the Fall you're chances of getting college-associated scholarships will increase.

Make sure that your transcript and courses fit the requirements of the specific college.  A discussion with somebody higher-up in the admissions office may prevent a lot of trouble later. Same with a discussion with the people at the scholarships office.  Find out what they look for and make sure to include that kind of thing on the transcript. 

Make sure that your student has completed the entry requirement courses for the university. Requirements vary, but if you've followed State guidelines you're probably safe. Still, if you missed something, you can probably still make up for it. Again, call the admissions office to make sure that you've covered everything. Some universities have different requirements for homeschoolers than they do for traditionally schooled students.

I learned something interesting when in discussion with the various admissions/scholarship decision makers at a few public universities. They told me that they don't usually give homeschool students merit scholarships and the reason that my son got one is probably because he did not have a 4.+ GPA. They are so used to seeing straight A homeschool transcripts that they don't take them seriously. My son's 3.87 actually made them take a close look at him to find that his SAT/AP scores confirmed his grades. He received an 800 in the critical reading section and had As and A in subjects like literature, history, etc. He received a 610 in math and his math grades tended to be Bs and B+s. They also found, at closer inspection,  that I did not grade all of his courses, but rather many were graded by college professors. If you do have outside teachers/graders make sure that is easily apparent on the transcript - even on the summary page. Include any outside test scores (AP/CLEP/ACT) etc so that they are easily seen in conjuction with the the course grades.

It helps to take as many AP tests as possible by the end of the Junior year unless you plan on taking a gap year. The reason is because the tests taken at the end of your Senior year will be after the admissions and scholarship decisions are made.

If you are considering a gap year, apply to colleges in your Senior year anyway. You can often defer admissions and scholarship for a year or you can re-apply. This leaves both options open. But again, discuss this with the admissions and scholarships offices. My son took a gap year by deferring his scholarship. Once his AP scores for the tests that he took in his Senior year were sent in, he actually had more scholarships added to his package.

If you think that your child should have received more scholarships according to the materials that the university publishes, call and find out why. Of course, be very nice about it. You are trying to gain information about what you might have left off that could have helped your child and would help your next-in-line children. Had I not called and asked, my son's transcript would have been overlooked for the honors college invitation and the honors scholarship that he received.

That's my best advice. I've got more to learn from my next student because she'll being doing auditions on top of everything else that was required of my first graduate. If anybody has gone through that process, I'm all ears!

• Like 3

My second son turned 18 last week and will be a high school senior this year.

Ds has struggled a lot over the years due to some learning disabilities, but his junior year was our best yet and weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re feeling good heading into this final year. We were both surprised with how well he did on the ACT in April, and it definitely gave him a confidence boost at the perfect time Ă¢â‚¬â€œ he passed his driving test the next week! ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s also gotten him to reconsider our local university, although heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s still leaning toward community college. 

• Like 2

After this year, I will need to change from 1togo to 0togo.  Dd is graduating this year and working on the following:

1. ACT test prep for a few more points to get full tuition, books, etc. to local state u, which won't matter if she decides to go another route, but she is determined to accomplish this anyway.

2. Working on vocal and violin (learned but not memorized and polished) audition pieces.

3. Stepping into the theater world.

4. Taking pre-calculus and chemistry, which is something we could not have envisioned a year ago.

5. Working on CLEPs for College Algebra, U.S. History 1 & 2, Government, American Literature (combined with review of LToW I), and Intro to Psych.

6. Working on cover school year book committee with photography classes.

7. Getting a driver's license and Dad's old car in the spring.

8. Essay, always more essays.

We have had many hills to climb to get to this point, but we are feeling good about this year.  Dd began working on her courses at the beginning of this month, so much of the above will be done by the end of April!!! I will then be a retired, home school teacher...gardening, gym, painting, etc. here I come.

• Like 4

My youngest is a senior this year. My last year as "home school mom". 

I registered yesterday with our umbrella program. 

I gave him 4 subjects to begin reading. No assignments yet... just start reading the books!

I am on Amazon today ordering books.

We need to sit down together and make a few final decisions on 2 subjects. A half credit of art. A full credit on non-lab science.

He has a few "delays" and has not taken the ACT yet. Nor does he have a driver's license at 18. He'll be working on those in the next few weeks.

He will go to our local CC his first year of college. We are not "into" AP, DE, CLEP, or college visits with this one.

• Like 1

My dd is a senior, she's taking 3 dual credit classes at the community college and 1 class at our co-op and is done, and then 2 classes at cc in the spring and then she'll be done.  She worked ahead the last three years to have a lighter senior year.  She'll also continue her job at a greenhouse for a little while until the end of September and then probably return in the spring. 

• Like 1

#2 will be a senior this year. Like last year, she'll largely be dual enrolled full-time, though she might do a class or two at home with me also. She'll also continue to work as a lifeguard and swim instructor, study voice and guitar and focus on her athletic pursuits.

She's in good shape to get started on college applications. The ACT and other tests are done. She's motivated, has a short list of schools, including our state flagship, which is a public ivy, and a good sense of what she wants to do. Her strength is in languages (Arabic and Italian), so she's considering majoring in Arabic or double majoring in international business and a language.

She's much more flexible and open-minded about schools than her sister was, and I've already been through this once before, so I'm not really stressed about the application process.

• Like 1

My ds is a senior this year and I'm going crazy trying to know what I should be doing and when to make sure everything falls into place. Maybe they have a book for us homeschooling moms. I ask myself what do I need to have prepared for the college to look at. Take the SAT in a few months or not? If the school doesn't require the SAT is there a benefit to my dc taking? What are some of the things we should firm up this year before he starts college? Before he walks out on his own two feet? So many questions, so little time.

My ds is a senior this year ....

.... I ask myself what do I need to have prepared for the college to look at. Take the SAT in a few months or not? If the school doesn't require the SAT is there a benefit to my dc taking? What are some of the things we should firm up this year before he starts college? Before he walks out on his own two feet? So many questions, so little time.

Does your son already know what colleges he intends to apply to?  If yes, look to see what that college requires of its applicants. 

Most colleges require a transcript of the student's classes taken during high school.  (Community colleges may or may not require a transcript.)

Some colleges (particularly selective ones) require ~

course descriptions

reading and textbook lists

a homeschool profile

letter(s) of recommendation from you (the counselor) but also from one or two teachers

the SAT or ACT

SAT subject tests in one, two, three or more areas

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

Does your son already know what colleges he intends to apply to? If yes, look to see what that college requires of its applicants.

Most colleges require a transcript of the student's classes taken during high school. (Community colleges may or may not require a transcript.)

Some colleges (particularly selective ones) require ~

course descriptions

reading and textbook lists

a homeschool profile

letter(s) of recommendation from you (the counselor) but also from one or two teachers

the SAT or ACT

SAT subject tests in one, two, three or more areas

Regards,

Kareni

Yes, he is going to CC because we found out it is more worthwhile money wise for him to take his first two years there and then go to the college of his choice. Since he wants to be a computer engineer most of his first two years are basics and science. I've talked to a few people who just finished college taking two years CC first.

I planned on setting up a meeting next week with the CC to find out what we can do to make this an easy transition.

• Like 2

Yes, he is going to CC because we found out it is more worthwhile money wise for him to take his first two years there and then go to the college of his choice. Since he wants to be a computer engineer most of his first two years are basics and science. I've talked to a few people who just finished college taking two years CC first.

I planned on setting up a meeting next week with the CC to find out what we can do to make this an easy transition.

A meeting sounds like a fine plan.

I wish him success in his studies!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

There definitely seem to be quite a number of Hive kids for us to watch and cross our fingers for this year!

Enjoy them.  The time does fly by.  It can seem slow at times like when you're trying to get them to write essays, etc, but that's just a mirage.

• Like 5

Is "the college of his choice" a known place or a to-be-determined place? Use the CC meeting to understand where the transfer agreements lead to and which schools and majors students actually transfer to. CCs have different strengths and weaknesses for successful transfers.

I live in a large city and there are several CCs within an hour drive of my house. The state saves money by having schools concentrate in different areas. They will all have the basic foundation courses, but above that there are different tracks available. So, if you have more than one CC within reasonable driving range, be sure to compare and don't assume they're all the same.

• Like 2