Menu

Saw a black snake - now what?

Chocomom63

About an hour ago, when we were leaving to go pick my dd up from school,  one of my other dd's opened the front door screamed there was a snake and slammed the door.  Sure, sure, I thought - some piddly little thing.  So, I opened the door and HOLY MOLY - it was a huge black snake!  After a few seconds it slowly slithered into a hole in the rock that surrounds our front door (gee, isn't that swell).  I'm really kind of freaked out, but the internet says they aren't poisonous and are actually beneficial (they eat rodents).  Has anyone had any experience with these things?  If so, did you have a pest control service get rid of them?  And do we have to worry about them getting into the house or will they stay outside?  We've had a lot of rain in our neck of the woods and I'm wondering if that's brought these critters out. Anywho - any help would be...well, helpful. :-) Thanks!

Chocomom63 

No!  Don't kill it!!

Black snakes are good.  

We had one that lived under the house we used to live in.  He was about 6 ft or so.  He would sun himself on the front porch (the setup of the house did not have a usable front door, so we never went that way anyway) and I called him 'Slithering Sam'.  

Yesterday the kids found a large, dead black snake in our front yard.   :(  We're quite unhappy that it's dead - we never knew it was around when it was alive, but I'm sure I appreciated his work!   :D

ETA: And I hate snakes.  The only nightmare I ever remember having in my life involved snakes.  So no, I don't relish the idea of seeing one in the yard... but I wouldn't kill it if I did (unless it was a copperhead obvi.  Or a cottonmouth, but we don't have those around our area.  When camping Astro picked a cottonmouth up because he didn't realize it was even a snake at the time.   :svengo:  Good grief!)

• Like 6

It's up to you - as others said, some see benefits in snakes and aren't bothered by them.

I can't stand snakes and they scare the ponies + could bother our chickens.  Every snake found around here is a dead snake.  Snakes, groundhogs, foxes, and opossums are shoot on sight critters.   Cats take care of the rodents.

• Like 4

Please don't kill it. If you can't stand a non-venomous snake, call someone to relocate it-a regional herp group or reptile society, university biology department, etc are all good places to call. Almost anyone who has pet snakes will relocate a non-venomous snake just to save the animal's life, and many will relocate a venomous one. (I won't let DD handle venomous, but we relocate a dozen or more non-venomous snakes each Spring). Most pest control services will not remove non-venomous snakes because usually they're not considered "pests" under law (similarly, it's often illegal to kill non-venomous snakes, although this is rarely enforced).

If you've had a lot of rain, that's probably why they're out. Snakes don't usually go into houses, especially not in warm months. In late Fall, when they're looking for a place to Brumate, that's more likely, but it's not common with black snakes (garter snakes sometimes will den in houses for winter, though).

And if you do kill it, please don't post pictures on FB if you have any friends who have kids with pet snakes. I've had DD in hysterics before when someone posted pictures of chopped up snake on my feed and tagged me and she's seen it before I could hide/delete it. Even if you don't like snakes, imagine someone showing you a picture of whatever pet you have, dead, and applauding themselves for killing it. And, again, depending on what state you're in and how strict they are, posting a picture of a dead snake can risk having wildlife resources knocking on your door and a pretty heavy fine.

• Like 13

As to your other question, yes the rain can bring them out of hiding. We used to live where there was an abundance of snakes, you learn to wear shoes outside and watch where you walk. But this was after multiple sightings, not just one. 

UGH I just had to chime in on the chopped up snake picture thing!!!

There was a lady on FB who I'm not even friends with who apparently killed/chopped up a black snake and MADE IT HER PROFILE PICTURE.  Because we have mutual friends, when I would scroll through and get to one of those 'people you may know' things, she would pop up first, so I was CONSTANTLY having to see her profile pic.

I hate snakes, okay, but either way, that picture made me sick.  :ack2:  Seriously, even thinking about it now makes me nauseous....

• Like 1

You may want to confirm if this is true for your area or not, but when we lived in MD, a kind friend told me that in the years she saw lots of black snakes, she didn't see very many copperheads. I am no fan of snakes, personally, but if I had to choose between (harmless) black snakes or copperheads, I'd go with the black snakes.

• Like 7

I hate snakes, okay, but either way, that picture made me sick.   :ack2:  Seriously, even thinking about it now makes me nauseous....

Adblock. Download it, copy the image's location, then block that specific image. End of problem.

We have a rather large rat snake that lives in our back yard and likes to visit our garage occasionally. Ninja kitty(r.i.p.) did her best to kill him over the years, but the snake just ignored her and went on his merry way. It was pretty funny to see the scourge of the neighborhood being ignored. :) Now, the snake ignores the brown kitty who lives down the street.

• Like 2

Why would you advocate killing an animal that does not do you and your kids any harm and that you don't plan to eat?

Besides the fact that I feel no obligation to share my living space/home with a creature that makes me feel uncomfortable or afraid and is unwelcome in my home?

If I am honest then I kill hundreds--sometimes thousands--of animals (mostly insects and but also several rodents ) each year that pester or invade my space if they make me uncomfortable or are not welcome in my home (and my yard is a part of my home).

Also, my kids would eat a snake if I would let them.

• Like 2

Kill the bejeezus out of it and any other snake you see. Get a pack of terriers to patrol the yard for rodents and snakes alike.

I'm glad the snakes don't take this approach to us!

It's a native species and such may be protected by various environmental laws.

It's harmless.

It's actually beneficial.

Unlike the terriers, you don't need to care for it, as it's self-feeding.

Just live and let live already!

Besides the fact that I feel no obligation to share my living space/home with a creature that makes me feel uncomfortable or afraid and is unwelcome in my home?

So have it humanely trapped and released. The outside world was the snakes' home long before it was yours.

• Like 9

If I am honest then I kill hundreds--sometimes thousands--of animals (mostly insects and but also several rodents ) each year that pester or invade my space if they make me uncomfortable or are not welcome in my home (and my yard is a part of my home).

You do not have to share your living space. You could simply relocate the animal or ask somebody to do it for you. I don't understand the mentality that they have to be killed.

I really dislike spiders, even though I know they are beneficial. We trap them in jars and release them outside. Just because they make me very uncomfortable does not need I have to kill them.

• Like 9

Black snakes and king snakes feed on rattlers and other dangerous/poisonous snakes in our area. I'd be thrilled to see a black snake around here. :) If you totally can't live with it on your property, PLEASE call to have someone rescue and relocate this helpful critter.

• Like 6

Kill the bejeezus out of it and any other snake you see. Get a pack of terriers to patrol the yard for rodents and snakes alike.

Why? Seriously what the Hell for? I saw your answer but it doesn't make any real sense. Sorry to be blunt but that's a horrible attitude to have an a horrible attitude to pass along to your children. 

OP, do nothing. You very likely won't ever see it again. If you do, just leave it be. It's most likely beneficial. Snakes eat rodents. If I had to choose between having rodents (not counting squirrels though I know they count) or snakes, I'll take snakes any day.

Unless you've positively identified it, for all you know it's a protected/threatened species of snake. Even if it's not, as other said, black snakes are good.

• Like 5

We have a few around our home and leave them alone. They help with rodents and the snakes we really don't want around here. They've never bothered us and slither away when we get close (they are often on our sidewalk).

• Like 1

I like them. They are a little pugnacious, but even the chickens seem to tolerate them in the chicken house. I lose a few eggs, but they kill a lot more mice than they take eggs, so I'm usually glad to see the rat snakes turn up in the summer. They also do seem to keep the copperheads away from the house. I haven't seen any at my chicken house yet, but I have one down by the creek. I'm hoping he moves up to the house soon. I had to catch and relocate a little copperhead that thought my doorstep was a good place to get dry after the rains. I'm ready for my rat snakes to go on patrol for me. :001_smile:

• Like 2

Why would you advocate killing an animal that does not do you and your kids any harm and that you don't plan to eat?

Phobia... the stress of seeing them, esp unexpectedly, likely does harm.  There's no way any snake and I can share the same space and it's highly doubtful around here that anyone else would want them either, not to mention, by the time someone else got here who knows where the snake would be - ready to surprise me another time.  There are some at our school, kept in cages their whole lives.  I can't see that being a better option.

We also kill other nuisance critters from houseflies to foxes, ground hogs, and opossums I mentioned above.  Our chickens eat the snakes we kill (as did our pigs when we had pigs), so their bodies aren't wasted unlike the other nuisance critters we kill.  Well, chickens will eat squirrels too.

I'd never feel the need to post pics.

Spiders are fine.  No one in my family (except my mom, but she doesn't live here) has a spider phobia.

• Like 4

:ohmy: That's not a very nice thing to say.

Admittedly I was being a tad facetious.

You do not have to share your living space. You could simply relocate the animal or ask somebody to do it for you. I don't understand the mentality that they have to be killed.

Of course they do not HAVE to be killed, but whether we all agree to the practice or not, killing the snake IS an option and the OP should feel free to take or leave my (admittedly facetious) suggestion to kill every snake just as she should feel free to take and ignore any other advice offered. Personally I can not positively ID snakes and prefer not to risk it. I've never in my life claimed to be "an animal person" my heart isn't as big as many others nor does my mind open as wide as some. Fortunately I know my limitations and I'm not ashamed to admit that.

I really dislike spiders, even though I know they are beneficial. We trap them in jars and release them outside. Just because they make me very uncomfortable does not need I have to kill them.

Its great that you are able to trap and relocate the spiders in your home. Brava to you, but that doesn't mean I'm somehow obligated to do the same. Personally I kill on sight all spiders in my home or yard that I know to be venemous (widow and recluse), many more spiders get killed when I treat my house for pesticides or when they are foolish enough to amble boldly through my home when I'm around.

Why? Seriously what the Hell for? I saw your answer but it doesn't make any real sense. Sorry to be blunt but that's a horrible attitude to have an a horrible attitude to pass along to your children. 

Its okay, we can't all understand all things. Its perfectly alright if you don't understand or approve of my feelings or reasoning, its okay. Really it is. You still matter as a person in other ways. Personally I trust my kids--resilient little buggers--will be fine despite my lack of love for all living things.

I'm glad the snakes don't take this approach to us!

Me too.

It's a native species and such may be protected by various environmental laws.

It's harmless.

It's actually beneficial.

Unlike the terriers, you don't need to care for it, as it's self-feeding.

I was being a bit facetious about the terriers, at our house we have a pack of cats and while it is fortunate that they keep the rodent and pest population down by a large margin, I wouldn't wish a pack of cats on anyone.

Just live and let live already!

So have it humanely trapped and released. The outside world was the snakes' home long before it was yours.

Sure, if YOU will foot the bill and send me the money to have every snake that tries to take up residence in my home  humanely trapped and release and I'll have it trapped and released elsewhere, no problem. I don't take comfort in killing other animals, I just don't feel riddled with guilt about it when I have to do it.

Sure, if YOU will foot the bill and send me the money to have every snake that tries to take up residence in my home  humanely trapped and release and I'll have it trapped and released elsewhere, no problem. I don't take comfort in killing other animals, I just don't feel riddled with guilt about it when I have to do it.

You don't have to do it in this case. We're talking about a non-invasive, harmless creature that might never have entered her home. If you kill it, that's what you're choosing to do. It's not like she described seeing a rattlesnake poised to strike over her helpless baby.

• Like 1

You don't have to do it in this case. We're talking about a non-invasive, harmless creature that might never have entered her home. If you kill it, that's what you're choosing to do. It's not like she described seeing a rattlesnake poised to strike over her helpless baby.

I can't peaceably live with a "HOLY MOLY" snake in my yard--the one that I own and pay taxes on--so for me, I would HAVE to do it. Again, if you want to ensure that I never kill another non-invasive, harmless [reptilian] creature then simply foot the bill for their removal from my yard.

Wow - thanks for all your replies, stories,  and the help on what to do.  I'm pretty sure it's a black snake and everyone else in our household is content to let it be since they are beneficial.  In fact my boys think it's rather cool to have a reptile around.  :-)  If I see it again, I'll try to get a better look make absolutely sure it's nothing poisonous although I hope I don't see it again.  A little scary. Interestingly, when I left later to go to the store, a little green snake showed up on our doorstep!  What is with all the snakes today?!

I want to say that I do try to live with nature as much as I can. Sometimes i wonder if St Francis tells his animal buddies to come to our place because he knows we are a little more accomodating. Heh.

If the rain is bringing them out we're in trouble - we are expected to get another 3 or more inches of rain during this next week.  Could get interesting around here.

Anywho - thanks again everyone!  

Chocomom63

• Like 5

UUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHH. Black or whatever color...it's a snake. I do not like them. I don't know why. They slither. I have nightmares that one could live under my bed. UUGGGHHH.

Just let me know where you live so I am never tempted to move into the area. This is nothing against you personally, of course and if you and your family are ever in my area, you are welcome to visit me. We don't have snakes - well practically none. Last one I saw was 4 years ago and it was not even holy moly size and likely more scared of me because I screamed and ran into the house.

• Like 2

Not meaning to argue, just curious: I understand foxes - they kill chickens. But what do groundhogs do?

I'm not creekland but groundhogs can be terrible pests to gardeners, farmers and people who keep animals.

They can be a rabies risk on one extreme but mostly the burrow the life out of a field and they eat vegetables that are grown for human or commercial purposes. Their burrows/tunneling can weaken the terrain and some times destabalize a fence or structure.

Groundhogs are territorial so they might be aggressive towards animals, pets and people alike. They will break into animal enclosures if they can eat whatever the pet/animal eats. Also, despite the name those little bastards can climb--trees and fences--so if you put in a fence, its important to A-extend it underground about 3 feet, B-extend it above ground about 3 or 4 feet and C--put a backwards/angled part on the top of the fence so that the groundhog can not climb over your fence and get into the enclosure anyway. They aren't the most prolific breeders, but you can have 2-3 per acre within a short time if you aren't careful.

• Like 3

Not meaning to argue, just curious: I understand foxes - they kill chickens. But what do groundhogs do?

We once lived in a house that had groundhogs living in the yard. They tore that yard up digging tunnels. And they ate EVERY flower that bloomed.   And they reproduced. The yard backed up to a city park. Come on, guys, go over to the park! Nope.  They preferred to munch on our offerings. 

• Like 2

Honestly, the only people I know of who charge to relocate snakes is a non-profit in Arizona that specializes In relocating rattlesnake dens from construction sites. The kinds of folks I listed-college bio programs, local herp groups, and individual pet owners all would relocate a black snake simply to save the snake's life.

• Like 3

Admittedly I was being a tad facetious.

Its okay, we can't all understand all things. Its perfectly alright if you don't understand or approve of my feelings or reasoning, its okay. Really it is. You still matter as a person in other ways. Personally I trust my kids--resilient little buggers--will be fine despite my lack of love for all living things.

I didn't say I don't understand, I said it doesn't make sense. They're not necessarily the same thing. I'm sure your kids will be fine. It's the living things they must share the planet with that I'm concerned about.

I hope you were being facetious. 

• Like 2

We used to have one under our woodpile in Florida when I was a child.  It freaked me out once but Daddy said to leave it.  I think he even gave it a funny name. The year after it died we found six poisonous snakes IN THE YARD.  I don't ever recall seeing them before that unless we were deep in the woods or the neighbor's field was being burned off.

Plus, by leaving it all the mice, rats, and other vermin that would attract the bad snakes are eaten.

• Like 1

We used to have one under our woodpile in Florida when I was a child.  It freaked me out once but Daddy said to leave it.  I think he even gave it a funny name. The year after it died we found six poisonous snakes IN THE YARD.  I don't ever recall seeing them before that unless we were deep in the woods or the neighbor's field was being burned off.

Plus, by leaving it all the mice, rats, and other vermin that would attract the bad snakes are eaten.

It was likely an indigo snake. They're very territorial and if you have an indigo on your property you're unlikely to see poisonous snakes. I'm guessing they moved in after it was no longer there to keep them out.

They say that's an old wives tale, but snakes don't usually like to fight other snakes. It would simply be that they stay out of another's territory, not that the resident indigo snake actually makes them stay out.

• Like 1

Honestly, the only people I know of who charge to relocate snakes is a non-profit in Arizona that specializes In relocating rattlesnake dens from construction sites. The kinds of folks I listed-college bio programs, local herp groups, and individual pet owners all would relocate a black snake simply to save the snake's life.

Sorry, but where I live, this is simply not the case.

We have 2 universities here and according to their dept. receptionist the college bio programs do not come out, capture and relocate snakes as a matter of course (according to the lady on the phone, "We are a school not pest control, honey, you have the wrong number"). I could not find anything about the departments providing this service online either. I know two bio majors and I texted them about what should be done if I find a snake in my yard or home and neither of them said anything about contacting the school. (one said kill it, the other said call animal control)

Finding an individual pet snake owner--a private citizen--who would be willing to come out to your home to hunt down/route out, capture and relocate a snake isn't feasible. I called several pet shops and vets office and they had never heard of this practice.

The animal rescue said they take reptiles but they only take animals that are dropped off--they don't come out and get them--because they are too small of an operation.

I have done several google searches and it doesn't appear that my city has a local herpetology group.

A few pest control places that I managed to contact before close said that they don't come out without a fee and depending on the snake they might not relocate it but you'd still pay for them to come out. One company said that they don't relocate snakes at all.

The Sheriffs said they don't know of any law against killing a snake and to double check with a lawyer

So, in my city, the simplest and most economical solution if you can not abide by a large wild snake living within close range of you and you yourself can not capture and relocate the snake would, in fact, be to kill it.

I'm not saying this is the best or worst way of handling the problem, simply that not everyone lives within range of free resources.

• Like 5

As others have said, groundhogs are literally awful when it comes to fields and gardens.  The fields matter because our ponies run/exercise on them.  If they were to step into a hole, or more likely, ground that gave way beneath them due to destabilization, they'd likely break their leg and have to be put down.  We raise youngsters.  Youngsters run a LOT - they are just like kids in loving to run and play - and they are just like kids in not being super careful about where they step.

And while we have our garden fenced due to rabbits, squirrels, and groundhogs, the groundhogs continually challenge the fence - trying to dig under it - or if they find a weakness, going through it.

If groundhogs would stay in hedgerows and woods we could peacefully live together.  They don't.

You didn't ask about opossums, but they carry a disease that can kill ponies (EPM).  We know because I lost my first stallion to it and it wasn't a pretty way to go, not to mention the personal connection.  Prior to that we had a live and let live policy with opossums.  Not now.

Squirrels like to get into our house - not in catchable areas.  They also eat from our garden and can scale fences.  Our garden is too big to put fencing or netting over.  If the squirrels would stick around and merely clean up all the excess walnuts, they'd be welcome to stay.

Raccoons like to get into anything and they can carry rabies (as can foxes).  Rabies is a little too common in our area for my liking.  If we report animals to our state and they are positive, they quarantine the farm for a period of time (our neighbor did this - once). It doesn't matter if one has had their animals vaccinated.  (Actually, it might, but all of us vaccinate for obvious reasons, so I'm not sure what the policy would be if one didn't.) In general, if we see a raccoon around during the day, it's not a good sign.  We kill them and dispose of their bodies.  All of our neighbors do the same.  That said, raccoons are generally nocturnal, so we rarely see them.  They are on our kill on site list, but we rarely take them out because we rarely see them.  All the others are more common.

It is irrational to kill a harmless and beneficial creature simply because one is phobic. There are people who will come and relocate beneficial snakes so they are not harmed.

Rational means nothing when there's a phobia.  Unless you had/have one, this is likely a foreign concept, but nonetheless true.

I could probably find someone from school willing to relocate a snake, but how do we get the two together?  How would that snake know to be out and visible (and catchable) when I could get the person here?

• Like 2

Please don't kill it. If you can't stand a non-venomous snake, call someone to relocate it-a regional herp group or reptile society, university biology department, etc are all good places to call. Almost anyone who has pet snakes will relocate a non-venomous snake just to save the animal's life, and many will relocate a venomous one. (I won't let DD handle venomous, but we relocate a dozen or more non-venomous snakes each Spring). Most pest control services will not remove non-venomous snakes because usually they're not considered "pests" under law (similarly, it's often illegal to kill non-venomous snakes, although this is rarely enforced).

If you've had a lot of rain, that's probably why they're out. Snakes don't usually go into houses, especially not in warm months. In late Fall, when they're looking for a place to Brumate, that's more likely, but it's not common with black snakes (garter snakes sometimes will den in houses for winter, though).

That doesn't sound realistic to me. That is akin to saying that almost anyone who has a pet cat will come out and deal with a feral cat that is menacing you. Or most dog owners would be willing to trap and remove a stray dog. Or people who keep rats as pets will come out and get rid of the ones living under your floorboards.

Just because someone keeps an animal for a pet--even an unpopular one--doesn't mean that they are such activist as to be willing to come out to someone elses home, capture, transport and release that same species of animal and I can't imagine why being an [insert animal species] lover means that they are willing to work for FREE.

• Like 1

That doesn't sound realistic to me. That is akin to saying that almost anyone who has a pet cat will come out and deal with a feral cat that is menacing you. Or most dog owners would be willing to trap and remove a stray dog. Or people who keep rats as pets will come out and get rid of the ones living under your floorboards.

Just because someone keeps an animal for a pet--even an unpopular one--doesn't mean that they are such activist as to be willing to come out to someone elses home, capture, transport and release that same species of animal and I can't imagine why being an [insert animal species] lover means that they are willing to work for FREE.

While this won't work for everyone, it is a worthy suggestion to make as those who have connections could do things differently.  There's a black cat named Jo-Jo out there who has a very happy home due to someone who was willing to rescue him after he was the victim of a drop off on our farm.

I'm willing to pick up and keep a stray kitten safe for a couple of days (esp a very tame/friendly one) AND he got lucky that someone would take him.  If not... our older cats would have done him in if we didn't.  (They've done that before to other kittens who stray onto our property - they run off adult cats too.)

The difference for us with a snake is I'm sure not catching and keeping it until I can contact someone.  (Ditto that with rats, but we seldom see those - except as leftover kill from our cats.)  Others may feel differently, or if they know where a snake is likely to be and when, perhaps something different can happen.  Perhaps not too.  But I can still see it being a worthy suggestion.

It was likely an indigo snake. They're very territorial and if you have an indigo on your property you're unlikely to see poisonous snakes. I'm guessing they moved in after it was no longer there to keep them out.

They say that's an old wives tale, but snakes don't usually like to fight other snakes. It would simply be that they stay out of another's territory, not that the resident indigo snake actually makes them stay out.

Yep, never heard of an indigo snake before but after googling I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it was.  Huge and black, lived in the woodpile and we were in a sandy-soiled hammock on the edge of a swamp.

• Like 1