Menu

Okay, Another vacation thread. Mall of America?

FaithManor

Three teen boys, two of whom hate shopping. I've heard the aquarium is nice, but I don't know much else that might be interesting to them. Opinions? Experiences?

It is 20+ hours from here to Rapid City, SD. We leave the 26th after dh works a half day so we could make it to Rockford IL, or if we push a little more, Madison, WI. Stop for the night, possibly do something for a couple of hours in the morning, and then???

I'm trying to decide where to stop on the 27th and what to do that late afternoon or evening.

We can check into our hotel in Rapid City at 3 p.m. or any time thereafter and it's 9 hours from Bloomington, MN. There is also Sioux Falls along the way so we could skip stopping in Bloomington, MN if we find something interesting to see in SF when we arrive...that's about 7 hours of driving from Madison, WI or a little more if we stop in Rockford.

I have never traveled this route so am unfamiliar with the possibilities.

We have the three boys who love science, science, science, science, history, animals, water, all things dino....I've been curious about the Mall, but wonder if this would be a stop with little for them to enjoy.

Never been to Mall of America and can't quite follow where you are going, the route, for how long, etc.

That said, we stopped at Sioux Falls SD on our big out west trip last year and it was one of the highlights for my kids.  We just wandered the falls area, people watched, jumped from rock to rock, watched the ducks, etc.  It was free and when you ask the kids what they liked best about our 2 week trip, this is near the top of the list.

• Like 4

We are in Mid-Michigan so we'll be driving on 80/90 through Chicago which we've seen kind of top to bottom so do not plan to stop. So while Bloomington, MN for Mall of America would be out of the way, Rockford, IL and Madison, WI are along the route as well as Sioux Falls. I think Rochester, MN is also along the way but aside from Mayo Clinic, I don't know what is there. We need to break the route into segments because it is so far, and I don't want dh to be stressed. He will work until noon on the 26th so I figured that either Rockford, IL or Madison, WI would be about as far as we get. I don't want to do the 12-14 hour stretch that is left all on Saturday the 27th. We booked our room in Rapid City for the evening of the 28th.

I'm just trying to figure out the best places to stop, and one thing to see while there because the boys have also never traveled that direction. They are quite excited about the trip. Once in Rapid City, we'll be going to the Badlands, the caves, Mt. Rushmore, etc.

St. Paul has the science museum and that is fun. I've never been to the aquarium in the mall. It is expensive but I think there are coupons.

I love the MOA. It is a terrible mall to do normal shopping but there are many interesting stores. The amusement park is simple but fun. There is a rainforest cafe that is fun to eat at. When we lived in MN it was definitely something the whole family enjoyed.

There is also a mini golf at the MOA. And a zip line. The amusement park is fun! There is a hotel with a water park very close. The aquarium is great but they have been doing construction lately so it might not be as good as usual.

There would be PLENTY to do in the Minneapolis area if you wanted to spend a day or 2 or 3 or 4. Science museum. History center. Mill city museum. Segueway river tour. Urban canoeing or biking. Valley fair amusement park. Minneapolis institute of art. Etc etc

I can't quite imagine taking boys who hate shopping to a mall. We are not mall trained where we live and they exhaust me in a short time. Take a look online and see if there is anything there you really want to see. Let us know what you decide. I love to travel with my fellow boardies. 

If Giardanos is the pizza we used to eat in Chicago, dh will be in 7th heaven. BUT, if they don't have gluten free, sniff....sniff....I'll be sad! LOL

It is one of the main Chicago pizzas.  We LOVE it.  Not sure if they have GF or not.

We did the drive from the west side of Michigan to Sioux Falls in one day.  It was long but doable.  If you are starting out later in the day though a stop sounds good.

We loved the Badlands.  Custer State park was also a hit.  Just remember that everything takes MUCH longer to drive once off the highways as the roads are very twisty and turny.

I am probably a really crappy Minnesotan, but I hate the MOA. It is an overpriced tourist trap. Granted, I hate shopping and large crowds... There is no way I would go 3 hours out of the way to go to the mall. A fun little stopover that would be just an 1 1/2 hours out of the way (round trip) would be following the river up to Lake City/Pepin. Its a beautiful drive to cute little historic towns where you can visit Laura Ingalls sites. Or you could go over to New Ulm. A tour of the Schell Brewery and Garden would be fun and this only takes you an hour off the main path. I don't know if these are things your family would enjoy, but it's a couple more options to consider.

• Like 2

Thanks Tracy. I am considering lots and lots of options.

We can certainly just follow the I-90 route. Since we do not need to arrive in Rapid City until Sunday, I want to make sure our stop overs are fun. I considered not leaving until Saturday and just breaking the drive in half - 10 hours each day. But, dh will have just completed a big project and frankly, needs to get out of town before his manager finds anything else for him to do! The guy just does not like to see his minions take a day away from work, much less a vacation so since he is officially off at noon, it's important that we hit the road ASAP before his boss can call. He'll be working from home that morning, whew!

• Like 1

I am probably a really crappy Minnesotan, but I hate the MOA. It is an overpriced tourist trap. Granted, I hate shopping and large crowds... There is no way I would go 3 hours out of the way to go to the mall. A fun little stopover that would be just an 1 1/2 hours out of the way (round trip) would be following the river up to Lake City/Pepin. Its a beautiful drive to cute little historic towns where you can visit Laura Ingalls sites. Or you could go over to New Ulm. A tour of the Schell Brewery and Garden would be fun and this only takes you an hour off the main path. I don't know if these are things your family would enjoy, but it's a couple more options to consider.

Along that same road is the National eagle Center in wabasha, and the Original Red Wing store in Red Wing . Loved both of those places. Not sure about teens tho.

Rockford il has an amazing Japanese garden. If you have a membership to a garden type place it might be on the reciprocal list.

It is gorgeous and very well thought of in terms of design etc. You can buy food to feed the koi in the several ponds. We have had really wonderful discussions with the docents there.

It's called Anderson Japanese Gardens.

Eta: clarity and name

Minnesota is a beautiful state with so much to see, but I don't think I'd want to take my three teens to the MOA for a day in your situation.  It's just a giant mall.  Sure they have some extra activities to do there, but it all feels so artificial.  Maybe you'd rather be outside doing something after being cooped up in the car all day?  Minnesota has beautiful lakes and the Mississippi River, to start.

However, I can see that it would be out of your way to head much further north where most places I'm familiar with are.  (Even the Twin Cities, which are two really wonderful cities!)  Rochester is nice, but you're right-- it pretty much all centers around Mayo.

Lanesboro is a pretty little town just south of Rochester.  It is known for its vast bike trails, delightful b&b's, and large Amish community.  You can rent bikes there, too.  That might be a fun stop.

Otherwise,  I do like Sioux Falls, and if you had to choose between Bloomington/MOA and Sioux Falls, I'd choose Sioux Falls.  (But I'm kind of anti-MOA, so take my suggestion for what it's worth!  :))

I am a little familiar with MOA, and I don't recommend it, though my knowledge is all at least a couple of decades outdated.

Suffice it to say I lived in Bloomington at the time MOA was built.  I visited it once with my Mom, and we got our coat pockets picked (the pickers got used tissues).  We had already been forewarned about crime there, and the fact that MOA alone required more police than the entire city had.  It was crowded, hard to navigate, and we walked for MILES inside and outside without much chance to browse and shop.

The indoor amusement park, complete with roller coaster, looked cool, though, and was an appealing thought for MN winters.  But we didn't like it there, and never went back.  I'm just not a fan of tourism based upon shopping.

Our family goes to the MOA at least once a year- and as someone mentioned, Ikea is across the street, so that's always a fun stop for us.

However, it really is just a mall.  I wouldn't drive several hours out of my way to go to a mall that has amusements in it.   We go to the mall because we're already in the area and we enjoy it.  

I am a little familiar with MOA, and I don't recommend it, though my knowledge is all at least a couple of decades outdated.

Suffice it to say I lived in Bloomington at the time MOA was built.  I visited it once with my Mom, and we got our coat pockets picked (the pickers got used tissues).  We had already been forewarned about crime there, and the fact that MOA alone required more police than the entire city had.  It was crowded, hard to navigate, and we walked for MILES inside and outside without much chance to browse and shop.

The indoor amusement park, complete with roller coaster, looked cool, though, and was an appealing thought for MN winters.  But we didn't like it there, and never went back.  I'm just not a fan of tourism based upon shopping.

These claims are a little off.  It is difficult to believe there are more police at the MOA than the entire city!  I feel entirely safe there, and feel entirely safe leaving my kids off there alone.  Walking miles inside without a chance to browse?  I don't quite understand that.  Every step you take brings you to a new store.   Parking is pretty easy, too.

The MOA is not my cup of tea, but I wanted to clear up any false perceptions.  (Maybe early on, it FELT that way though!  And I'm sorry you were pick-pocketed!)

I'm echoing other suggestions here in suggesting the Lake Pepin area as just really pretty and historically fun if you've ever been into the LIW books.  Or the Stone Arch Bridge/Mills Area/St. Anthony Falls in Minneapolis as just way more fun than the MOA.  But we hate malls and dh grew up working at a family business there.  I've been there one time (and we've lived there in the past and visit annually) to get our wedding rings (next door the family business was a jewelry store and they gave us a good deal).  

Okay, so I'm going to strike MOA off the list. I'm leaning towards making it to Sioux Falls the second day, go hang out at the Falls for the evening, head out for Rapid City the next day. I love waterfalls and nature - so long as nature reigns in the snakes from coming around, LOL - and so does middle and youngest as well as dh. Knowing the oldest, he'll sit there with a sketch book in his lap which is fine. I'd be happy to have the new artwork!

• Like 2

I think that is a great idea. That would.make your trip more relaxing. I am not sure which area it was near but even the rest areas along the way in SD can be nice with scenic outlooks. One had nice displays etc as well.

I am.avoid crowds and shopping at all costs type person though.

Oh - I am actually on board with this.  When we have visitors, they want to go there so we take them.  But the MOA is not a regular destination for us.  I will shop there occasionally because it is one of our closest malls.  At one time the aquarium offered a homeschool membership, which made it a good winter destination with younger homeschoolers.  It is SO crowded during tourist seasons and on the weekend it is ridiculous.

Sioux Falls is lovely.  We've done that trip.  I wouldn't drive through the Twin Cities for just a few hours either.  The traffic would annoy you for a short stretch.  Construction is a nightmare right now too.

I think there are MUCH better things to see and do in the Twin Cities area than the MOA.  Especially if you enjoy the outdoors. 

• Like 1

If you are coming through on 94 the Como Park Zoo in St Paul is free and decent for a small urban zoo with a nice greenhouse and Japanese garden. The Minneapolis Intsitute of Art is world class and has mock Asian buildings and medieval armor and is also free.

We have lived here 5 years and DW's goal is to never go to MOA.

ETA: The Como Park Zoo also has a small attached amusement park... better for younger kids... if that's your thing. Not up to either Valley Faire or Nickolodeon Universe but equivalently cheaper.

• Like 1

My little guy is younger, but when we travel to Rochester, we take him to the Mall of America for a break from the Dr. visits. He loves the Lego store, the amusement park, and, of course wants dinner at Rainforest Cafe. That location still put a real sparkler in our Volcano!

Also, if you stop in Rockford IL at night you should get   pizza here https://giordanos.com/our-locations/chicago/north-suburbs/

Giordano's is the best Chicago style pizza. We had our rehearsal dinner at one of their locations.

I've learned to replicate it pretty well at home. It's been a while since I've eaten there, but dh has while in Chicago on business, and he says I have it down! :)

• Like 1

If you decide to take a more southern route thru illinois and Iowa, Starved Rock state park near LaSalle is is nice park. We enjoyed the walk. There are Amish communities to explore along that way as well.

I am not sure Laura Ignalls Wilder is one of your boys favorite authors, but. I have been to Waalnut Grove as well as the one in Wisconsin, so I can give your more details if you want.

The science museum in St. Paul is really not that exciting.  Maybe my perception is skewed since I am used to the science museum in Chicago.  It's small and made for more of the elementary school set.  The watermark near the mall of America was fun for my teen boy.  The amusement park in the MOA has some thrill rides, but don't expect a full sized amusement park.  They do have some ropes courses up high and a zip line.  I wouldn't go to the MOA with teen boys.

I'm kind of surprised that no one has mentioned making the Wisconsin Dells your stop over point. The Dells has tons of indoor and outdoor water parks that you could stop at for fun, as well as some science museums you could go to, and beautiful scenery for hiking. The Dells is about 30 minutes from Madison.

• Like 2

I'm kind of surprised that no one has mentioned making the Wisconsin Dells your stop over point. The Dells has tons of indoor and outdoor water parks that you could stop at for fun, as well as some science museums you could go to, and beautiful scenery for hiking. The Dells is about 30 minutes from Madison.

I think this is probably because this layover is fairly short.

Rockford has Volcano Falls right off I-90, and it has a pretty fun go cart track. Within a few miles of the State Street exit is a laser tag place- it's right by Giordano's.  If you're not coming through until mid-June, there's a Portillo's opening in that same area and that's a hugely popular Chicago area restaurant.  And Rockford's own Beef a Roo restaurant. 

We live 40 minutes from Rockford. (Waves at Shelly)

The Dells has a beautiful boat ride- we took the upper dells one- it lasts two hours and you get off to explore twice. Our kids were 19 and 21 when we did that and they LOVED it.  The rock formations are SO interesting!

• Like 1

We just did this drive (or most of it, we go through Indiana to Chicago) last summer.  We drove from Ft Wayne to Chamberlain, SD in one day.  It was...a long day.  Be sure the plan for traffic, we hit it after Chicago on 90 (construction).  :huh:

The Corn Palace in Mitchell is a fun short stop.  Are you planning to do Minuteman Missile Site?  That is about an hour east of Rapid City, seems like one your family would like.

There are some great threads here for South Dakota trip planning - do a search if you haven't read them.  We loved South Dakota!

I think this is probably because this layover is fairly short.

I guess since we live within 2 hours of the Dells, it is very common for school groups and youth groups to plan outings to the Dells for a few hours and then drive back. I never considered it a place that demands a long term stay. But there is plenty to do there every time we make it a stop on our way somewhere else.

I might consider stopping by the MOA if they still have the original state fair deep fried cheese curds. The original recipe may have been banned to protect the health of US citizens, but the newer variety I come across sometimes are not worth the bother.

I think the MOA amusement park is a decent stop if you have an hour or two for something fun, but don't expect an all-day adventure. If it were me, I'd consider renting canoes or bikes on Lake Calhoun if the weather is nice and you like that kind of thing. (Wheel Fun Rentals)

• Like 1

Personally, I wouldn't make a special trip to the Mall of America. It's huge, but ultimately it's still just a mall. If you were going to be driving right past it, I would say to check it out, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there.

• Like 2

MN has wonderful state parks. We used to visit St Croix when I was a kid, not sure if it's on your route. Just northeast of Sioux Falls is Palisades State Park which is beautiful, a great stop for a picnic or hiking but the Falls in Sioux Falls are one of my favorite places.

Also northeast of Sioux Falls in Minnesota is Pipestone National Monument, it is really interesting if you would like to learn some about Native American culture. I loved listening to the flutes being played when I was a kid. It would be a little out of your way but not too bad.

• Like 1