Menu

"shovel ball chain", and other things kids say...

maize

My cute little five year old niece was demonstrating her tap dance moves for me yesterday, including a step she called the "shovel-ball-chain"--I couldn't help picturing a ball and chain attached to her feet as she danced. Her mother told me the step is actually a "shuffle ball change", but I liked niece's version :)

What funny kid-speak have you heard recently?

• Like 9

When my kids were little, they would say "ta-la" instead of "ta-da." We still say it that way!

My youngest says "Puhzetta!" instead of "ta-da" for reasons I don't understand. And while we don't celebrate Easter, she calls the displays at the store and the associated eggs "eastern eggs."

• Like 3

My 5 year old came home from tumbling yesterday, telling me about "the teacher who teaches me and the teacher who sits down." Her teacher (the one who teaches her) is leaving after this session and apparently is training someone else (the teacher who sits down).

Oh yeah, and my oldest daughter used to call McDonald's "Oak MayDonalds" and yard sales "art sales" and of course the speed limit she'd call the "speed lemon". She says them all correctly now.

• Like 1

My cute little five year old niece was demonstrating her tap dance moves for me yesterday, including a step she called the "shovel-ball-chain"--I couldn't help picturing a ball and chain attached to her feet as she danced. Her mother told me the step is actually a "shuffle ball change", but I liked niece's version :)

What funny kid-speak have you heard recently?

Huh. Do you know I took dance (jazz--- it was an after school thing in middle school) for all of half a year and we were TOLD it was "shift ball chain" because we were shifting our feet and had to pretend we had a ball & chain pulling the foot back. :toetap05:  I wonder if that had anything to do with why it wasn't offered again when the semester finished? :tongue_smilie:

• Like 2

Huh. Do you know I took dance (jazz--- it was an after school thing in middle school) for all of half a year and we were TOLD it was "shift ball chain" because we were shifting our feet and had to pretend we had a ball & chain pulling the foot back. :toetap05:  I wonder if that had anything to do with why it wasn't offered again when the semester finished? :tongue_smilie:

Ummm, just who was teaching that so called jazz class?

• Like 1

Ummm, just who was teaching that so called jazz class?

LOL, I have no idea! I was in middle school, so maybe it was a high schooler? I remember thinking she was young. It was just a fun enrichment thing. I only remember the ball & chain part and "jazz hands" and Frank Sinatra's New York song.  Thanks to this thread, I am now wondering if I embarrassed myself in front of any other moms back when dd was seven and in jazz. Can you just imagine?  :svengo:  Thankfully, there were no real internet forums back then and AOL was in its infancy ---- otherwise, there would probably be a post like "hey ladies, can you believe what this other mom said at jazz lessons?!"  :smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5:

I will be forever grateful for this thread for setting me straight, though!! I was just saying to someone this morning that it's a good day when you learn something new. Today was a good day for me! :thumbup1:

• Like 3

My ds is a treasure trove of these types of sayings. I have to check myself all the time because I worry he will get upset if I laugh at the cute things he says. (DS is deaf so his speech perception differences cause many interesting language changes.) One of my favorites is "robot pizza guys" for robots in disguise in the Transformer's theme. We also had "deliver us from eagles" in the Lord's Prayer. DD used to switch parts of words. She would say paoosham (shampoo) and tooncars (cartoons). There are a lot more but I can't think of them now. 

We went to a family camp session at our church camp when my youngest was five. At the opening vespers, several counselors played guitars and led everyone in music. Later that week, youngest child was asked to pick a song to sing at the campfire that night. He requested the zombie song. The counselor looked confused and asked him to sing it. He stood up and sang- Quiet Zombies. I'm pretty sure we all had tears from laughing so much at his version of - I Exalt Thee. We still sing -quiet zombies- for the chorus.

• Like 2

When my daughter was little she used to say, "It freaks me out the daylights!" whenever she got excited. It stuck with us and we still say it. One day something silly happened that made me jump and someone overheard me saying it to my daughter.  The woman looked really confused and said, "You know that's not really how that expression goes."   :laugh:

• Like 3

When DD was little, she fell at the playground or something and stood up proclaiming that her "ribbons" hurt (her ribs). :lol:

MDS is notorious for mispronouncing things: 

pants-ees for pansies

spat- oo- la for spatula

gram- AR for grammar

There are more but I can't even think of them all now. Lol. I love the kiddie weirdness. :)

Oh!!!! I just thought of another one! YDS has a BFF who used to live next door.  Up until two months ago, they'd lived next door to each from the womb. So practically brothers that sleep in different houses. Anyway, they were playing trains together when BFF says he needs another "hooker" piece. They were both searching for "hookers" all over the house, asking us parents for "hookers." Lol. 

Turns out, they needed the little male piece on the end of the wooden tracks (some of our pieces are really old and the male pieces had come unglued). :lol:

My ds is a treasure trove of these types of sayings. I have to check myself all the time because I worry he will get upset if I laugh at the cute things he says. (DS is deaf so his speech perception differences cause many interesting language changes.) One of my favorites is "robot pizza guys" for robots in disguise in the Transformer's theme. We also had "deliver us from eagles" in the Lord's Prayer. DD used to switch parts of words. She would say paoosham (shampoo) and tooncars (cartoons). There are a lot more but I can't think of them now. 

This one made me think of yet another one, this one from ODS! Haha.  He used to walk around the house singing "B-I-Engine Joe" instead of "B-I-N-G-O." Lol.

• Like 1

I have one for me.  An adult.  I didn't know what "park core" was until a few weeks ago.  I got schooled by my son, who corrected me after I told him leaving the park one day that I didn't want him to play with those boys anymore because they were disrespectful by referring to a girl as a "that's some serious park wh0re."  Park core, mom.  Park CORE.  She had some good moves. 

Oh. :huh:

• Like 1

I have one for me.  An adult.  I didn't know what "park core" was until a few weeks ago.  I got schooled by my son, who corrected me after I told him leaving the park one day that I didn't want him to play with those boys anymore because they were disrespectful by referring to a girl as a "that's some serious park wh0re."  Park core, mom.  Park CORE.  She had some good moves. 

Oh. :huh:

I hesitate to write this but "parkour."

:leaving:

• Like 1

Thank you!  Apparently I still didn't have it right.  In my defense I looked up park core, and a web search gave me tons of videos for what my son described, so I thought I was good to go.  LOL  Apparently not.

Lol. I'm glad you don't hate me for telling you! ;)