Menu

Antibiotic and probiotic ?

Murphy101

My poor dh went to the pharmacy to pick up antibiotics for me and the pharmacist told him I would need to take some active yogurt or a probiotic with it to avoid a "flaming yeast infection". Dh was a bit disconcerted by this man to man conversation and having to explain as he walked away to our kids that he took with him what a yeast infection is.

Brave man that he is, he trekked to the feminine aisle thinking it would be there and called me to ask which yeast infection stuff I wanted. I told him I didn't have a yeast infection and had never had one so I have no idea and none would be my preferred and why was he asking???

I've heard of other women complaining their antibiotic gave them a yeast infection, but it's not happened to me previously. Do I really need to buy probiotics? Recommendations on kind? I don't want to buy yogurt. Me and dairy haven't been on friendly terms in a long time.

I have had one twice - because of antibiotics. It was so miserable!! I think I just bought the Nature's Bounty brand at Walgreens. It wouldn't hurt to take it. ;)

That was my next question. If taking it when I don't need it would toss things out of wack.

• Like 1

Antibiotics kill all the bacteria good and bad. It's always a good plan to take a pro biotic . However the antibiotic can kill the good stuff in the probiotic too. Not an expert, but this is what I would recommend.

Take the probiotic several hours before or after the antibiotic during the time you are on it. Then take the probiotic for several weeks after the probiotic.

We keep PB 8 at our house all the time. No we rarely antibiotics, but DH has gut issues at times.

Rarely do drug store or grocery stores carry a good quality one.

• Like 2

I'd be far more concerned about c diff than a yeast infection (not that a yeast infection is less likely, just a whole heck of a lot less serious). I recommend Florastor be taken any time someone is on antibiotics. Beyond that, any decent probiotic, taken several hours off from the antibiotic.

Good heavens. Looked up c diff online.

All medical Google searches end in death.

This one apparently is death by diarrhea.

:o

• Like 1

Yes, c diff is extremely serious!

Like stated upthread take the probiotic in between doses of antibiotic to give the good guys a fighting chance. (Eta: what Jean said! I type slowly.)

Dumb question: why was yeast infection an embarrassing thing? Am I wrong that yeast infections are just a type of infection that aren't limited to just one area?

Yes, c diff is extremely serious!

Like stated upthread take the probiotic in between doses of antibiotic to give the good guys a fighting chance.

Dumb question: why was yeast infection an embarrassing thing? Am I wrong that yeast infections are just a type of infection that aren't limited to just one area?

It wasn't embarassing so much as disconcerting and unexpected. Because I've never had one before and he has never gotten such advice when getting me antibiotics before. They aren't limited to one area, but vaginal yeast infections are apparently the most common and that's what the pharmacist was referring to. As in, "It isn't required, but you will likely be thanked if you get her some active yogurt or probiotics to avoid vaginal issues. It's common for this to cause a flaming yeast infection that are rather hard to deal with once they flare up."

And dh was all, "uhh. Okaaay. Well we sure don't want mom having flaming vagina issues. Let's go get some of that next, kids." And headed for the Aisle of Womanly Mysteries as he calls it.

The kids were just "wha? What's wrong with mom's vagina?! Why is it on fire?!"

On the plus side, all my younger children doted on me when they got home bc they think this medicine dad brought home is going to make me one miserable person and they just feel awful for me.

I'd laugh really hard but I can't gather enough air for it.

• Like 12

And dh was all, "uhh. Okaaay. Well we sure don't want mom having flaming vagina issues. Let's go get some of that next, kids." And headed for the Aisle of Womanly Mysteries as he calls it.

:svengo:  :smilielol5:  :smilielol5:  :smilielol5:

We're going down like dominoes here too. I seriously cannot take one more respiratory infection. I just can't. I actually came here to post a thread about it and stopped into yours first. I'm sorry you're so sick, but thank you for the laugh!

I've gotten flaming womanly parts several times after antibiotics.  

I ran a bout of sickness that resulted in multiple infections this winter...I was on 5 different antibiotics over the course of two months.  I just knew I would end up with issues, so I went heavy on probiotics.  Not even a hint of flaming nether regions, thankfully!  

I took them in pill form, along with Good Belly (juice based) and drank Kombucha.  

Antibiotics have never given me a yeast infection.

However, my doctor insisted that I take a particular probiotic while taking a heavy-duty antibiotic. She says it's a good idea anyway, because antibiotics can also kill off our good gut bacteria, and that the particular antibiotic she'd prescribed could cause nasty intestinal distress without the probiotic. (FWIW, I only burped a lot. I was taking the probiotic, though.)

Cat

When you take an antibiotic it kills all the bacteria - both good and bad.  That provides a vacuum in your gut flora that other organisms can take advantage of.  You don't know what will try to grow there.  It could be candida or another yeast.  It could be c-difficile (c-diff).  It could be that enough of your good bacteria survives and nothing tries to take advantage.  But probiotics and probiotic rich foods can even the odds a bit for you.  

• Like 1

When you take an antibiotic it kills all the bacteria - both good and bad. That provides a vacuum in your gut flora that other organisms can take advantage of. You don't know what will try to grow there. It could be candida or another yeast. It could be c-difficile (c-diff). It could be that enough of your good bacteria survives and nothing tries to take advantage. But probiotics and probiotic rich foods can even the odds a bit for you.

I've always known what antibiotics do. I just never heard of pharmacist recommending probiotics and active yogurt for vaginal yeast infections with them though. Drs never said anything about it either. Not that that surprises me either.

The antibiotic is a strong precautionary measure for other issues right now, but if probiotics don't hurt, I have no issue with taking them. Dh ordered the flarastor stuff online.

• Like 1

We're going down like dominoes here too. I seriously cannot take one more respiratory infection. I just can't. I actually came here to post a thread about it and stopped into yours first. I'm sorry you're so sick, but thank you for the laugh!

I had the same reaction to the same quote. Holy cow I'm so glad I opened this thread.

(get well soon, Martha ... but that was hilarious).

• Like 2

I've been told that it's penicillin that's the problem (causing yeast infection). As it comes from mushrooms. Thus, creating candida in the body. So not all antibiotics are problematic etc...

Though, I would still take a probotic after any round of them.

antibiotics work by killing bacteria.  broad spectrum antibiotics will kill any bacteria in your body.  that includes the "good bacteria" in your gut. (the kind you want.)

gut bacteria and yeast live side by side in the gut.  as the bacteria die off, the yeast will take over.

I would be more concerned about the state of my gut bacteria  than a v yeast infection.  (yeast overgrowth can be a problem)  that's what the probiotics are for.

I would eat a quality yogurt.  re: regular commercial yogurts are loaded with sugar.  (yeast eats sugar.)  get some plain greek yogurt which has six kinds of probiotics.  you can add crushed pineapple and coconut.  (which was fun.  I pureed the pineapple in my mini food-processor).  I usually just add berries.  my dh adds jam.  (which has sugar . . . .)

or a good quality probiotic to replace what the antibiotic will kill. 

• Like 2

You can get a good quality probiotic from a natural food store or a health food store. I think some vitamin stores carry them as well.

You want the ones that are refrigerated, the refrigerated area is where the good ones are kept. :lol:

I also like that Good Belly stuff, I am allergic to dairy so I can't have regular yogurt. Some natural food stores carry coconut milk kefir, if they have strawberry flavored that stuff is good. 

I have been on three rounds of antibiotics since Christmas.

It is bull, I am sick of sick.

• Like 1

IME it's standard for doctors to recommend eating yogurt or taking probiotics with antibiotics. I've never NOT done that.

Recently DS was on 6 weeks of antibiotics for Lyme. In addition to eating yogurt, he drank keifer or Good Belly juice every day, up to a couple weeks after. Even on an extended dose of meds he didn't have any issues.

Keifer can often be tolerated by people with dairy sensitivities and s excellent for gut health.

• Like 2

We have always taken probiotics with antibiotics.  Culturelle is a decent brand.   Take two hours before or after.

Personally, I don't think yogurt is enough and better safe than sorry.

My kids have been on heavy duty antiobiotics for several years now and have yet to get a yeast infection, so it works.

• Like 2

Doctors around here have started prescribing (or at least recommending) probiotics with antibiotics. Guess they are finally catching on. We usually just wait until we've finished the round of antibiotics, and then take huge doses of probiotics for a while afterward, instead of trying to time taking them at the same time. Just to build our gut bacteria back up afterward.

Night Elf, on 06 Mar 2015 - 05:01 AM, said:Night Elf, on 06 Mar 2015 - 05:01 AM, said:Night Elf, on 06 Mar 2015 - 05:01 AM, said:

Well, I learned something new. I've never been told to take a probiotic with an antibiotic. I like sweet yogurt only, so that would be a problem. What about tablets? Is there a good probiotic that is a tablet?

I've had good luck with pro-15. (15 types of probiotics)  it is enteric coated so it doesn't start to dissolved until is it IN your gut.  (I've taken/looked at a number of different ones.)

My son's ND has him taking hlc mindlinx capsules. he just started them.  I bought them off amazon.  they are refrigerated.  (an ice pack should be included with the shipment.)

eta: different brands of greek yogurt can have a very different flavor.  I don't have the link, but someone did a taste test of six of them and wrote up a comparison.   I just buy Costco's plain greek and add berries.

I've always known what antibiotics do. I just never heard of pharmacist recommending probiotics and active yogurt for vaginal yeast infections with them though. Drs never said anything about it either. Not that that surprises me either.

It amazes me that doctors don't routinely recommend probiotics with antibiotics.  This stuff is well-documented and well-known, and has been, like forever.  I've even mentioned to the doctors when they prescribe antibiotics to my kids, and they say "oh yeah (now that you mention it) that wouldn't be a bad idea to take probiotics."  But they never mention it proactively.  Why????

Heck, we just brought the dog to the VET and they insisted we put the doggy on probiotics with his antibiotic so he wouldn't get gut issues, even made dh buy a bunch along with the antibiotic prescription.  So, the vet makes sure the dog is okay, but the human doctors remain clueless?

I've always known to take the probiotics because waaay back in the dark ages before I was even born, my mom was on antibiotics for a strep throat, and got the flaming nether regions, and after that if she so much as looked at an antiboitic without taking lots and lots of probiotics at the same time, it would recur.  So she drilled in the importance of it to me from childhood on!

• Like 3

It amazes me that doctors don't routinely recommend probiotics with antibiotics.  This stuff is well-documented and well-known, and has been, like forever.  I've even mentioned to the doctors when they prescribe antibiotics to my kids, and they say "oh yeah (now that you mention it) that wouldn't be a bad idea to take probiotics."  But they never mention it proactively.  Why????

Heck, we just brought the dog to the VET and they insisted we put the doggy on probiotics with his antibiotic so he wouldn't get gut issues, even made dh buy a bunch along with the antibiotic prescription.  So, the vet makes sure the dog is okay, but the human doctors remain clueless?

I've always known to take the probiotics because waaay back in the dark ages before I was even born, my mom was on antibiotics for a strep throat, and got the flaming nether regions, and after that if she so much as looked at an antiboitic without taking lots and lots of probiotics at the same time, it would recur.  So she drilled in the importance of it to me from childhood on!

:iagree:  Both my dd and I have a tendency for gut issues anyway so we always take a probiotic.  Just last year when my dd was having a lasting forever stomach bug I asked if doing probiotics with her might be a good idea and the ped was like "umm ... ok ... sure".  Seriously?  I've been taking them for like 10 years. 

When you take an antibiotic it kills all the bacteria - both good and bad.  That provides a vacuum in your gut flora that other organisms can take advantage of.  You don't know what will try to grow there.  It could be candida or another yeast.  It could be c-difficile (c-diff).  It could be that enough of your good bacteria survives and nothing tries to take advantage.  But probiotics and probiotic rich foods can even the odds a bit for you.  

You mentioned in the other thread that you take a probiotic.  What is the one you take?

I would eat a quality yogurt.  re: regular commercial yogurts are loaded with sugar.  (yeast eats sugar.)  get some plain greek yogurt which has six kinds of probiotics.  you can add crushed pineapple and coconut.  (which was fun.  I pureed the pineapple in my mini food-processor).  I usually just add berries.  my dh adds jam.  (which has sugar . . . .)

This is starting to sound like it needs some rum to go with it! Though I don't think that would work with yogurt. I'd probably leave the yogurt out...

I have been on three rounds of antibiotics since Christmas.

It is bull, I am sick of sick.

I hear you. I'm at least grateful that I haven't gotten hit yet, because I have to take care of everyone else! But I figure it's only a matter of time before my turn comes. 

You mentioned in the other thread that you take a probiotic.  What is the one you take?

I wondered the same thing!  :bigear:

• Like 1

It wasn't embarassing so much as disconcerting and unexpected. Because I've never had one before and he has never gotten such advice when getting me antibiotics before. They aren't limited to one area, but vaginal yeast infections are apparently the most common and that's what the pharmacist was referring to. As in, "It isn't required, but you will likely be thanked if you get her some active yogurt or probiotics to avoid vaginal issues. It's common for this to cause a flaming yeast infection that are rather hard to deal with once they flare up."

On the plus side, all my younger children doted on me when they got home bc they think this medicine dad brought home is going to make me one miserable person and they just feel awful for me.

I'd laugh really hard but I can't gather enough air for it.

I am laughing way too hard over here!  Now my stomach hurts!

I take the refrigerated Ultimate Flora ones by ReNew Life.  They now have a colon specific one too which I found very helpful after  having a colonoscopy where they cleaned out the good bacteria as well with the colonoscopy prep.  

• Like 2

If the worry is c-diff then the yogurt recommendation comes from a recent study done on patients taking antibiotics in the hospital.  The were given two 6 oz portions of a particular yogurt every day during and for a period following the course of medication.  The study showed a significant decrease in the amount of c-diff infection in patients taking the yogurt (containing 5 different strains if I remember right).  The study is available online.  You need to take the yogurt at least two hours before or after the antibiotics.