Menu

Breaking news on Fox... 17yo Bristol Palin is pregnant and will marry the father

LNC

I'm surprised at what I'm reading. No one knows that anything that has been said to the media is a lie. All we can do is accept their words at this point because we don't know any different.

Her sister's life should not be an issue. Her daughter's pregnancy shouldn't be an issue. She's getting married and is going out on her own, she made that choice when she decided to get pregnant and then married. She's more than old enough to handle it, it's not like she's 13. My mom had me at 19, alone and she was and is a fantastic parent.

Sarah Palin can wear her baby all day at the white house and it's nobody's business. If she quits it's not like he won't have Down Syndrome anymore. What more can she do for him other than mother him and love him? She can do that from anywhere.

And exactly what is she supposed to do to be there for her son, a grown man, who is stationed in Iraq? She's supposed to stay at home and pine away and mother him from Alaska while he is in the military in IRAQ?

I find the whole line of reasoning about what she can handle or can't handle or what she should or shouldn't be doing to be a complete non issue for me.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are way too many generalizations and assumptions here.

It CAN happen to anyone. If any of us think our children are protected or inoculated against sin (or errors in judgment or mistakes or whatever you want to call it), I'm afraid we're in for some serious shocks. Our children will make their own choices, sometimes they will go completely against all we think we taught them, some will have to suffer serious consequences for it. But don't delude yourself into thinking "MY kids would never ___ because *I* raised 'em RIGHT..."

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Yeah, in terms of daily life, I can agree with you there. But by accepting the VP nomination, Palin threw her whole family into the spotlight -- including this young girl. Gosh, talk about stress to throw at a young marriage!

But she's already the governor of Alaska. True, that doesn't entail the rigors of a campaign, etc., etc., but I think her daughter would be "in the spotlight" anyway, though perhaps a smaller one, just because of that.

Personally, I don't see the big deal. She's pregnant, she's having a baby and she's getting married. It happens around here every day, and the Grandmas don't quit their jobs.

I know I'd be devastated if my son brought home a pregnant girlfriend because I truly feel it would ruin the rest of his life. I see too many young men working two jobs just to pay child support for an unwanted child because they were stupid and couldn't keep their pants on. If the kids get married, too often they're miserable.

Other than that I can't predict what my reaction would be.

But I do know that my definition of "support" wouldn't include putting my life on hold to deal with it. The kids made some irresponsible decisions -- there's no point in meddling now -- and Mom can't "fix it." Besides that, she's not the be-all end-all of any potential support system. There are, hopefully, at least three other parental units, not to mention the grandparents, to help with the load in the "support" department.

And yes, it's very possible that my view of "support" is limited by the fact that my mother's contribution in uncertain times consisted of telling me how smart I was, how I always land on my feet -- so what did I need her for?

I feel so sorry for this young couple -- that they are, today, the topic of conversation on numerous blogs and web forums. But it will die down and I sincerely hope they'll be able to settle into a happy domestic life. I've made too many mistakes with my own career choices and with my own family to try to second guess what the families of these two kids are, or will be, doing.

As far as the election being over? Um -- not for a couple of months yet. :D

If Governor Palin becomes Vice President of the United States, she will have the duty of casting the deciding vote over issues deadlocked in the Senate.

She would be making choices for US, not just for her little family.

Yes, I realize that, Crissy.

Are you saying that families shouldn't have the right to decide for themselves how the adults will function in society? I don't think that is the point you're trying to make, but I am truly not understanding why you think the Palins shouldn't decide this for their own family.

I'm surprised at what I'm reading. No one knows that anything that has been said to the media is a lie. All we can do is accept their words at this point because we don't know any different.

Her sister's life should not be an issue. Her daughter's pregnancy shouldn't be an issue. She's getting married and is going out on her own, she made that choice when she decided to get pregnant and then married. She's more than old enough to handle it, it's not like she's 13. My mom had me at 19, alone and she was and is a fantastic parent.

Sarah Palin can wear her baby all day at the white house and it's nobody's business. If she quits it's not like he won't have Down Syndrome anymore. What more can she do for him other than mother him and love him? She can do that from anywhere.

And exactly what is she supposed to do to be there for her son, a grown man, who is stationed in Iraq? She's supposed to stay at home and pine away and mother him from Alaska while he is in the military in IRAQ?

I find the whole line of reasoning about what she can handle or can't handle or what she should or shouldn't be doing to be a complete non issue for me.

love your tag

I find it ludacris that so many people would throw stones at the mom for this. Teens have a mind of their own and some will make mistakes..I know I was that teen..I hope no one throws stones at me..I didn't marry the father and I thought I was in love like adults. I still loved God too. It wasn't right to have premarital sex and I shouldn't have..but I did and I raised my son. He is wonderful..I am now married and have another child. It all happened for a reason. I believe everything I went through lead me back to God and made me concrete in my beliefs and lead me to the right person to marry. That could happen for this young girl. Whether is does or not it will not change my vote in November. I am researching the candidates and what they do. Her mom's reaction to her daughter could sway my vote but if she is supportive and helps her that is enough for me..As for Palin stepping down to help take care of her daughter and grandchild, I don't feel she will need to. I don't think people would ask a man to do it either. No one has said anything to Obama about how he would care for his young children. Most parents work. I love we have candidates that have families and children. That are human even just like all of us.

But she's already the governor of Alaska. True, that doesn't entail the rigors of a campaign, etc., etc., but I think her daughter would be "in the spotlight" anyway, though perhaps a smaller one, just because of that.

She was already the governor of Alaska. I think this would be different if she were already VP and then her daughter got pregnant.

If any of us think our children are protected or inoculated against sin (or errors in judgment or mistakes or whatever you want to call it), I'm afraid we're in for some serious shocks. Our children will make their own choices, sometimes they will go completely against all we think we taught them, some will have to suffer serious consequences for it. But don't delude yourself into thinking "MY kids would never ___ because *I* raised 'em RIGHT..."

:iagree:

But, who's to say that this stress wouldn't have been there anyway. Sarah Palin is a governor. It would have made national news, believe me.

Mmm, yes, "Alaska governor's pregnant teen daughter to wed soon"...I can sorta kinda see the headline in itty-bitty font, just above the one column paragraph on page A-14.;)

As for leave and cleave, yep, I agree ~ to an extent, as Abbey noted. But not in a million years do I believe you'd intentionally drag a teen child of yours, enduring a stressful situation, into the spotlight and physically remove yourself from the family nest. Nope. And I can't imagine you supporting any of us who'd express a desire to do just that.

Yes, I realize that, Crissy.

Are you saying that families shouldn't have the right to decide for themselves how the adults will function in society? I don't think that is the point you're trying to make, but I am truly not understanding why you think the Palins shouldn't decide this for their own family.

I am speaking to the question of whether or not is it our right to judge her decisions. It is my position that we have not just a right, but a responsibility to make a personal judgement on the decision-making process of someone who is running for such an office.

I do find this curious. Have we not just had a number of threads wondering what's wrong with parents today, pre-teen bikini waxing, ten year-olds wearing make-up, etc. I see a lot of judging going on about the parental choices of others, when it does not jive with the views of the majority here. I really wonder how this would be playing out if it was Obama's or Biden's 17 year-old daughter who was pregnant.

My thoughts exactly, Jenny! It's quite selective, no?

Besides the fact that I find McCain's choice of VP incredibly curious, the number of "issues" which have surfaced in the past three days since her announcement has me scratching my head.

astrid

I guess according to most here it just comes down to a mom can't be in politics? I don't know what to think about all this but I don't believe a man would be told to step down. Teenagers get pregnant. How many women here were teens pregnant before marriage?

I never realized before how bad Hillary must have had it. I feel ashamed I didn't speak up more for her now. :(

While I don't think it's necessarily true that a mom can't be in politics, I personally (and understand, please, that I'm actually on the liberal side of the aisle) have difficulty connecting with or understanding a woman who chooses career over her children. This is, for me, especially true when we're talking about a woman who has five children. My feeling about Sarah Palin is the same as my feeling about a lot of working women who have stressful, full-time jobs: Why have children if you don't intend to raise them?

And, yes, it is true that I might not say the same thing about a man. And I know my liberal feminist pals hate that about me. But the thing is that I've been a mom, and I know how it changed my entire life and my view of the world and my place in it. I don't understand a woman for whom that doesn't appear to be true.

When I had my daughter, I had a job in which I felt really successful for the first time. I had recently been promoted to management and was making more money than I'd ever made -- more money than my husband was making at the time, as a matter of fact. I fully planned to return to work after maternity leave, but had negotiated a reduced schedule. When my employer made it clear that they were not going to honor that deal, I walked away from the job. No hesitation, no second thoughts, no regrets.

And I had one, healthy infant.

I believe there is a season for everything, and that a choice to do one thing means you are choosing not to do others. I have no problem with a mom whose children are older stepping onto a wider stage. I do have concerns about a woman who has five children, one of whom is an infant with special needs, choosing to take on such a demanding and high-profile role.

As for the question about how many of us were pregnant teens, I'll admit that I count myself in that number. However, I'll also say that, while I accept responsibility for my own choices and behavior, the lackluster parenting I experienced had a lot to do with that outcome. And, on her very best day, I would never have wanted my mother--or my father, for that matter--to be vice president. They weren't capable of handling their own lives, let alone a whole country.

She was already the governor of Alaska. I think this would be different if she were already VP and then her daughter got pregnant.

So are you saying the campaigning is the key point for you, as far as her being able to support her daughter? Or is it that it wouldn't be such a big story after the election? Or both, maybe? :)

I understand the need to use everything you can to win an election, but I pray this little girl isn't persecuted as a result of anyone's ambition. Poor kid (and her family) must be going through a lot right now. My kids are young, but I know as I look into the future that I can't control their every move and I pray that I won't be judged for my kid's behavior. We are all doing our best and I think as moms we need to support each and encourage each other. I figure we're all just one decision, sometimes one a child makes, away from being a "them" and we need to be compassionate about others struggles.

I think it's a great time for a little Plato, "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

YES! Amen! I couldn't agree more. I'm sad for her, and to go through this while in an an international fishbowl must be unbearable.

Astrid

I have to disagree. Personal crises happen in all families, public servants or not. While I hope to never experience a teenage pregnancy in my own family, teenagers do make their own decisions.......whether we like it as parents or not. If my kids make stupid decisions, well, THEY are the ones making them.

I would never expect my own dh to not do what is best for his own career based on the poor decisions of one of our teenage children.

Does this bring undue attention to the teen? Ummmm, my POV would be that the teen was the one who made the decision to have pre-marital s*x. (If this were the product of a vicious crime, then I would say that bringing attention upon her was hurtful. But, if this is a matter of personal decisions, then I disagree.) She has the strength of character to continue with this pregnancy instead of having an abortion to cover-up her mistake; that is HUGE.

In my opinion this is probably a family crisis that has been SURVIVED. Goodness, if she is 5 months pregnant, they have probably been dealing with this for the last couple of months......it's none of our business.

As far as media attention.....well, her mom was already the gov of Alaska. Media attention was going to occur regardless.

Second, I'm sort of horrified that Palin would be willing to throw her daughter in the spotlight more than she already was (by accepting the VP nomination) while she's going through something so private, at such a young age. It *seems* terribly callous to me.

This is the issue for me. I cannot imagine throwing my 17 year old daughter into the media circus we endure here in the US in which she will be devored by the lions and picked over by the vultures.

For those who say she's making decisions for her own family...I disagree. She also made a decision for the family of the boy (or man) who got her daughter pregnant. That family will also now be dragged into the spotlight and have all manner of rumors and skeleton digging flying about their lives, too.

This is just so saddening.

I am speaking to the question of whether or not is it our right to judge her decisions. It is my position that we have not just a right, but a responsibility to make a personal judgement on the decision-making process of someone who is running for such an office.

Gotcha.

You're right; we all determine who wins our vote by analyzing his/her worldview, actions, accomplishments.

I sincerely hope that all of your children turn out as you hope them to.

It is true that involved, healthy parents have the best chance at turning out healthy, moral children. It is also true that sometimes, the children of involved, healthy parents still make bad choices. It is also true that sometimes the children of unhealthy parents turn out to be very healthy people.

Your statement here is untempered by experience. May you never walk that road.

As my Dh likes to say, God was a perfect parent and look what happened to His children!

Yes, yes, and yes again. I can't fathom putting my own personal ambitions (even if they are wrapped in the flag) ahead of just being there ~ really being there ~ for my family. I posted below and said if I were the young woman, I'd want my mother to be able to support me. Not just in word. Not just when time permits. But really be there.

You know, I don't want this to sound like I"m speaking as an Obama supporter, because that's not where this is coming from for me. But as a mom, I really, really think that Sarah Palin should step down and take care of her family. I was gobsmacked that she'd accept the nomination with a special-needs newborn, and now with a pregnant teenaged daughter? Wow....I really feel for the amount of stress she must be under, and when you add the monumental stress of trying to get up to speed with world issues, etc. when you've never been anywhere near the national scene, well, that's just a behemoth of a task, you know?

Astrid

This is the issue for me. I cannot imagine throwing my 17 year old daughter into the media circus we endure here in the US in which she will be devored by the lions and picked over by the vultures.

For those who say she's making decisions for her own family...I disagree. She also made a decision for the family of the boy (or man) who got her daughter pregnant. That family will also now be dragged into the spotlight and have all manner of rumors and skeleton digging flying about their lives, too.

It may not have been mother's doing to put it in the media. The drive by media loves to find things on people in politics and make it a big deal. I think that's wrong but people love to hear stuff like this.

I'm sorry -- that's not what I meant at all.

There's too much drama in her life. It's messy and it's real and she may very well be able to handle it all beautifully. But I don't want to hear about an elected official's personal life. Unfortunately, since the OJ Simpson trial, the sensationalist entertainment-hungry aspects of the media have become dominant. I'm thinking of the Jamie Lynn Spears (?) pregnancy watch in recent months. The Washington Post may respect the Palin family's privacy, but I'm not sure about Entertainment Tonight.

I am sorry, but this has got to be the most selfish persona I have heard about. To accept the VP-nomination while not only having young children *and* a special needs BABY, but knowing that her own dd would be publicly humiliated and scrutinized.

I'll agree with you on this point.

Plus, I am confused here. Aren't republicans usually Christians and consider themselves to have a higher moral ground than liberals? How come it is just OK, too bad, brave choice for her not to abort? Why is nobody thinking how can it be OK to have pre-marital sex at age *17*? No morals? Why should that be all shyss'ed about? Am I just being old-fashioned and unrealistic?

I'd certainly have a fit if any of my kids had pre-marital whatever and you bet there'd be consequences. I cannot imagine people saying this could happen to anyone, because no, it wouldn't. Not if the family was involved and healththy. Yes, I also had a brother who went way wrong (dies of an over-dose), but there were definitely family confusion and mental illness involved.

Are we supposed to stand up and ovate the family and the presidential runner because they are *not* choosing an abortion? That's lame. I am anti-abortion (except if the mother's life is at stake) so the issue of abortion is not a main consideration for me.

And here I'll agree with the others and say I truly hope you never find out personally that people who raise their children in a healthy, loving, faithful home actually can have children who are sinful and make poor choices from time to time. I really, truly hope you never have first hand knowledge of that.

Beyond that, the cat is out of the bag, the genie is out of the bottle, pick a metaphor you like. The girl had sex. She got pregnant. She can't undo it. So now to move forward. That is why those who are pro-life are applauding the choice. To face your mistakes head on and do the right thing is admirable.

I've got nothing but compassion and hope for Bristol and her fiance, and particularly for their baby in this situation. I don't have exactly the same feelings for Sarah Palin at this moment, however.

I do not think this should effect the election in any way, but it is kind of hard when people put themselves on moral pedestals for some people to avoid celebration when they fall off. I personally try to avoid making judgments because it could very easily be my daughter or another young girl in my life someday.

I wish more than anything in the world people would understand that being a Christian does NOT mean I am judging anyone else. I do have standards and morals that I feel I am called to live by. If someone asks me about them, sure I will share. BUT - I do not live up to those standards and morals every single day. That is because I AM HUMAN. It doesn't make me less of a Christian, and it doesn't mean that the standards have changed. It means that I am human and have made a mistake.

By saying I'm a Christian, I'm not putting myself of a moral pedestal. I don't think Sarah Palin put herself on a moral pedestal. I think she is judged for being a christian and if she falls short, she must be a hypocrite. That makes me furious.

As a democrat, I am voting for Obama, however:

If McCain/Palin do win this November, I think one of the best things that will come of it is the position it puts Todd Palin in to be a role-model for America. We already know women can make good politicians. (I'm not sure if that is a compliment? :)) But we still seem to question the ability of men to be primary caregivers. If Todd Palin can handle the position of husband to the VP, with all of the press that is sure to come with it and no doubt some cutesy names. If he can handle being the primary-caregiver (and father) to a teen-aged girl, a seven year old girl and a special needs infant while also being a solid support to a teen-aged pregnant daughter and eventually being a supportive grandfather as well, (all the while dealing with a wife who will often be stressed, over-worked or simply absent) I think he will be paving what has been a bumpy road for men, particulary men with wives that are choosing careers previously dominated by men.

Yes. I totally agree. And it was noted previously that ALL families go through crises. Well, yes, they do. But not many of them go through it under the international microscope that this year's presidential race has become. The amount of stress this poor family is going to go through seems too much to bear in that kind of a spotlight. I feel very badly that Sarah Palin has decided to follow her ambitions at this time in her young life, for I fear the consequences to her own children and the family of that young man will be great.

astrid

be unable to raise their own children.Lots of women do it.They have done it for years,even centuries.It certainly helps to have a spouse or so to help but there are lots of women who don't even have that.And all families have crises of various sorts.No reason to think that it would affect how a woman does her job any more than it might a man.

It is true that involved, healthy parents have the best chance at turning out healthy, moral children. It is also true that sometimes, the children of involved, healthy parents still make bad choices. It is also true that sometimes the children of unhealthy parents turn out to be very healthy people.

As the parent of a child of a disaster waiting to happen......there is absolutely nothing more we can do to prevent whatever it is he is going to do. I am honestly expecting the day to come when I find out he has been arrested for some stupid thing he has done.

It is also why I precisely disagree with the POV that Palin was wrong.

If I ever cast the first stone, it would only be at myself.

It may not have been mother's doing to put it in the media. The drive by media loves to find things on people in politics and make it a big deal. I think that's wrong but people love to hear stuff like this.

I'm not saying that Palin put in into the media herself but if she thought for one second that the media would not feed on this immediately, then she is foolish.

It's not like she was already VP and then her daughter got pregnant. Her daughter got pregnant and then she threw her hat into the national politica arena.

I am sorry, but this has got to be the most selfish persona I have heard about. To accept the VP-nomination while not only having young children *and* a special needs BABY, but knowing that her own dd would be publicly humiliated and scrutinized.

Plus, I am confused here. Aren't republicans usually Christians and consider themselves to have a higher moral ground than liberals? How come it is just OK, too bad, brave choice for her not to abort? Why is nobody thinking how can it be OK to have pre-marital sex at age *17*? No morals? Why should that be all shyss'ed about? Am I just being old-fashioned and unrealistic?

I'd certainly have a fit if any of my kids had pre-marital whatever and you bet there'd be consequences. I cannot imagine people saying this could happen to anyone, because no, it wouldn't. Not if the family was involved and healththy. Yes, I also had a brother who went way wrong (dies of an over-dose), but there were definitely family confusion and mental illness involved.

Are we supposed to stand up and ovate the family and the presidential runner because they are *not* choosing an abortion? That's lame. I am anti-abortion (except if the mother's life is at stake) so the issue of abortion is not a main consideration for me.

BRAVO! Thank you for saying this. It's what I've been thinking since she was announced on Friday. Okay, you brought the special needs baby into the world. Great. But now doesn't he deserve every ounce of physical, emotional and maternal support you can give him? Along with the other four?

I just don't understand the thinking here.

astrid

When I read the news I was relieved to know that the dd is not the mother of the 4mo baby. I'm glad to know that Sarah Palin didn't lie about whose baby it was. That would have been the end of it, IMHO.

However, having a candidate have an older teen dd that is pregnant is not an issue for me. The teen was the one making the choices that put her in that situation, not the candidate. I'm glad to know she chose to allow her baby to live. I hope that she and the father pray through the entire situation to know if marriage really is the right choice or if it would be better to give up the child for adoption.

Should she resign as governor too? Should any mom who has a high-powered job quit when her almost-adult dd gets pg?

It's possible she might be more available as VP than as governor.

OTOH, I got pg at 17 and became a mom at 18. I did not need my mom to quit her job or hold my hand.

Wow, there's an awful lot of judgments being made here on very little actual info.

Oh, I soooo agree with this.

My thoughts exactly, Jenny! It's quite selective, no?

Besides the fact that I find McCain's choice of VP incredibly curious, the number of "issues" which have surfaced in the past three days since her announcement has me scratching my head.

astrid

This issues we already there they just came to light since the announcement of VP. The media does have a major role in what they want us to know and when.

There are way too many generalizations and assumptions here.

I don't know anything about what the Palin family knew/didn't know. I know Christian Democrats. I know Republicans who are atheists. I know plenty of Christians who don't consider themselves to have a higher anything. I don't know of any people who encourage or think sex at 17 is okay. I know a wonderful family who are Christians, deeply involved at our church, whose 18 year old daughter is unwed and pregnant and deeply loved/protected by our church family because they came to the congregation for forgiveness and help. It CAN happen to anyone. If any of us think our children are protected or inoculated against sin (or errors in judgment or mistakes or whatever you want to call it), I'm afraid we're in for some serious shocks. Our children will make their own choices, sometimes they will go completely against all we think we taught them, some will have to suffer serious consequences for it. But don't delude yourself into thinking "MY kids would never ___ because *I* raised 'em RIGHT..."

:iagree:

But isn't that what we as Americans value? The right to make our own choices? As long as those choices don't infringe upon the rights of someone else?

Exactly! That is one reason why I will never understand how people can oppose gay marriage.

From your lips to God's ears.

Until one has walked the path of being the parent of a child who rejects the value system he or she was raised with, one has no place judging.

This is why I believe in sex education and available birth control.

This will be big news now, but I repeat, I will be shocked to the core if the democrats themselves (as opposed to the media) make this a big deal. I bet most American's won't care just as Clinton had an 83% approval rating even after the Monica Lewinsky scandal.

I would never expect my own dh to not do what is best for his own career based on the poor decisions of one of our teenage children.

This is where a lot of us will part ways, I suppose. I would expect that of Bud. And of myself. Once we get these kids launched, then we don't have to consider the impact of our career choices upon them. But until then, I feel pretty strongly that we might have to make some sacrifices to get them where they need to be - particularly if we end up having one who makes significantly poor choices in his or her life. One or both of us might have to backburner some personal desires/ ambitions to parent our children as they figure out the whole becoming-an-adult thing. It would be a small sacrifice to see them over a bump in the road and into a successful life.

:iagree:Isn't her whole campaign family values, she basically had nothing else. Every speech I heard spoke about her family. Except the point her teenage daughter was pregnant. Did you notice the preg. daughter was the one holding the baby, she was covered, then family shots, she was not shown.

Not that I was voting for them, but you cant run on a moral ticket and have pregnant teenagers. That basically condones teenage pregnancy, what kind of message is that for our teenagers?

She should not have accepted the ticket, she really needs to focus on her family a little bit more.

Jet

Sure they do. Personally, though, I believe there is a distinct role for mothers, different from but no less/more important than a father's role, and that is why I would have no problem with Sarah Palin stepping aside to nurture and support her daughter through her first steps of motherhood and marriage.

But, why? A mother's role according to whom? To you? To me? To anyone else here?

How we choose to mother our children is our own business and to be judged for how we do it is just wrong.

As the parent of a child of a disaster waiting to happen......there is absolutely nothing more we can do to prevent whatever it is he is going to do. I am honestly expecting the day to come when I find out he has been arrested for some stupid thing he has done.

It is also why I precisely disagree with the POV that Palin was wrong.

If I ever cast the first stone, it would only be at myself. Momof7

I'd rep you again, but I can't. I get the feeling that a lot of the opinions about Palin are based on the societal view that women are responsible for who their children become. (This may not be what you believe, Karen. But I believe it.)

One of my biggest flaws is that I baby my dh and my children. I bend over backwards and forwards to be there for them so much that they take it for granted. Other people think I'm way too passive and submissive, and others think I'm a great parent because of it. I think I need to let my kids and my dh grow up and take responsibility for what they do.

And I see the same thing in Palin's life. Her son is on his own. Her sister too. And so is her pregnant daughter. She should be there to offer advice because the young girl is about to become a wife and mother. She's got to stand or fall based on her choices, not her mother behind the scenes.

We can not be all to our children or for our children. We're only human, just like men. And no one expects men to be and do so much for their children to the point that it is expected of women.

I wish more than anything in the world people would understand that being a Christian does NOT mean I am judging anyone else. I do have standards and morals that I feel I am called to live by. If someone asks me about them, sure I will share. BUT - I do not live up to those standards and morals every single day. That is because I AM HUMAN. It doesn't make me less of a Christian, and it doesn't mean that the standards have changed. It means that I am human and have made a mistake.

By saying I'm a Christian, I'm not putting myself of a moral pedestal. I don't think Sarah Palin put herself on a moral pedestal. I think she is judged for being a christian and if she falls short, she must be a hypocrite. That makes me furious.

The problem is that there are certain christian entities (not necessarily individuals) who do take it upon themselves to advise others what constitutes moral behavior and to eagerly point out the shortcomings of others outside their entity. Yet when the moral-instructing finger pointers have feet of clay, no one is to point it out? I would say that the finger-pointers might ought to concern themselves only with their own moral code and stop obsessing about others.

Should she resign as governor too? Should any mom who has a high-powered job quit when her almost-adult dd gets pg?

Well, I think there is a big difference between most jobs and running a national campaign on the Pres/VP ticket. And there is a big difference between accepting such a position, and already being in it and in the groove.

Amen and amen.

Well, I think there is a big difference between most jobs and running a national campaign on the Pres/VP ticket. And there is a big difference between accepting such a position, and already being in it and in the groove.

The campaign will be over before the baby is born!

:iagree:Isn't her whole campaign family values, she basically had nothing else. Every speech I heard spoke about her family. Except the point her teenage daughter was pregnant. Did you notice the preg. daughter was the one holding the baby, she was covered, then family shots, she was not shown.

Not that I was voting for them, but you cant run on a moral ticket and have pregnant teenagers. That basically condones teenage pregnancy, what kind of message is that for our teenagers?

She should not have accepted the ticket, she really needs to focus on her family a little bit more.

Jet

No, it's not. Maybe that is all you've been interested in but that is not the sum total of Sarah Palin. She helped clean up her own corrupted party in AK - this impressed me considering I think both parties are corrupt. She fought her own party and ran without any support. She got things done. She cut out unnecessary spending and reigned in pork barrel spending.

What you just posted was simplistic at best.

This is where a lot of us will part ways, I suppose. I would expect that of Bud. And of myself. Once we get these kids launched, then we don't have to consider the impact of our career choices upon them. But until then, I feel pretty strongly that we might have to make some sacrifices to get them where they need to be - particularly if we end up having one who makes significantly poor choices in his or her life. One or both of us might have to backburner some personal desires/ ambitions to parent our children as they figure out the whole becoming-an-adult thing. It would be a small sacrifice to see them over a bump in the road and into a successful life.

I wholeheartedly agree!:)

To be a Christian is exactly the opposite of what you describe. Only Sinners can become Christians. It is an acknowledgment of the guilt and sin in self that requires a sinner. That fact that Sarah Palin calls herself a Christian means that she realizes her faults and short comings. It is not a judgment on the rest of the world, but on self.

"They're" saying that Bristol is 5 months pregnant, is that right?

And "they've" suggested that perhaps Bristol was actually the mother of Trig, who was born . . . 5 months ago, yes?

So, if Bristol is 5 months pregnant *now*, it would be impossible for her to be Trig's mother, correct? So, if SUDDENLY the Palin family announces that Bristol is 5 months pregnant, then that conveniently puts to rest the rumor that Bristol is Trig's mother.

It's all very, very convenient, and something doesn't add up. The only thing more convenient than the timing of Bristol's pregnancy would be for the pregnancy not to reach full-term, which is what I predict will be the next announcement (that Bristol has miscarried).

For the record, I have no horse in this race. I have no candidate, and I have no feelings toward the Palin family other than to wish them the very, very best in this difficult time.

This family controversy does not, IMO, make Gov. Palin an unsuitable candidate. How she fulfills her role as wife and mother is between her and her husband. How the children are cared for is a family decision. This family controversy could, however, reflect on the integrity of the McCain/Palin ticket. If they are not being forthcoming, and if they are using Bristol as a political pawn, well, I have no words for how I would feel.