Menu

Breaking news on Fox... 17yo Bristol Palin is pregnant and will marry the father

LNC

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the first I have heard of this. I really really hope that it was this 17 year old and her boyfriend's choice to get married. I really do hope that and I will pray that they have a happy life together.

I do not think this should effect the election in any way, but it is kind of hard when people put themselves on moral pedestals for some people to avoid celebration when they fall off. I personally try to avoid making judgments because it could very easily be my daughter or another young girl in my life someday.

I'm so thankful she is choosing to do the right thing and not abort the baby. She's young, but this could turn to a positive that she is choosing to do the right thing. :) That doesn't end it in my book. Teenagers of all creeds make mistakes, no matter who their mom & dad are!

T

Oh my word. I'm speechless. Election is over.

It's not over for me. I'm voting for McCain/Palin, not the daughter. Even if it was the daughter that I was voting for, she is taking responsibility and going to live up to her obligations. For me, that is incredibly honorable and speaks a lot to the family.

Oh my word. I'm speechless. I believe this election is over.

But it's Sarah Palin who's running for VP--not her daughter. Now, the way I see it, doesn't this put the kabosh on that bizarre article Mrs. Mungo posted (was it The Daily Kos?) claiming that Palin faked her own pregnancy to cover up for her daughter? :001_huh:

ETA: Not suggesting here that Mrs. Mungo believed the rumors or put any stock in the article or anything. I mentioned her as a means of indicating which article I was referring to in that crazy-long other VP thread. :001_smile:

I understand the need to use everything you can to win an election, but I pray this little girl isn't persecuted as a result of anyone's ambition. Poor kid (and her family) must be going through a lot right now. My kids are young, but I know as I look into the future that I can't control their every move and I pray that I won't be judged for my kid's behavior. We are all doing our best and I think as moms we need to support each and encourage each other. I figure we're all just one decision, sometimes one a child makes, away from being a "them" and we need to be compassionate about others struggles.

I think it's a great time for a little Plato, "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Why would the election be over? Good grief. Many candidates have survived far more severe lapses in their offspring's and relatives' behavior than an unplanned pregnancy. William Kennendy's rape charges. Another Kennedy's drug overdose death. Billy Carter urinating in public. Ted Kennedy's own unexplainable behavior post-Chappaquiddick. Roger Clinton's antics. Bush daughter's public intoxication.

I admit, though, that I was especially disgusted by Huckabee's son's torturing a helpless stray dog at a scout camp. Such a serious moral failing as that would have been enough for me to question what went on in the Huckabee family behind closed doors.

Like Academy of Jedi Arts, I only hope that the young couple truly desires to marry and that it is not being done for political reasons.

But it's Sarah Palin who's running for VP--not her daughter. Now, the way I see it, doesn't this put the kabosh on that bizarre article Mrs. Mungo posted (was it The Daily Kos?) claiming that Palin faked her own pregnancy to cover up for her daughter? :001_huh:

Yeah, I think that this news has definitely put this one into the dustbin of history.

She's made her mom's life pretty difficult for the next year or so, but bravo to her for not taking the easy way out. It would have been so convenient to have a quiet abortion, and SHE DID NOT DO THAT.

That said, I don't ever recall the antics of a president's family member (or VP's family member) ever having much influence over an election. And there have been plenty of family members to embarrass our public figures. I don't think Palin's daughter is an embarrassment (though it would have been 50 years ago). I think it's a tremendous example of owning up to the responsibility and consequences of a bad decision. I hope that boy can handle it.

Timing and spin are everything. It's no accident that this announcement was made just now, immediately prior to Gustav making landfall.

I feel sorry for the girl, too, but also for the father and his family. We know nothing about that boy and I imagine the pressure for him to marry her is probably incredible, because of who the girl's mother is.

And I hope to high heaven that this boy really is the father, and it's not actually the girl's 35 year old, married teacher or something. Around here, the number of pregnant teens who become pregnant by an adult male is way more than the national average, which is 50%. And here, in my friend's midwifery practice, where she deals exclusively with teens, the fathers over 30 account for the majority of those adults fathers. My point is that the scenario could be much worse. I still think it's tragic, though.

Dick Cheney's daughter is a Lesbian. Remember what happened to Edwards when he brought that up during the VP debates? Biden better step carefully.;)

Oh, yes!! That's right, I completely forgot about that. While I disagree with the lifestyle choice, I staunchly supported Cheney, and still do.

She's made her mom's life pretty difficult for the next year or so, but bravo to her for not taking the easy way out. It would have been so convenient to have a quiet abortion, and SHE DID NOT DO THAT.

That said, I don't ever recall the antics of a president's family member (or VP's family member) ever having much influence over an election. And there have been plenty of family members to embarrass our public figures. I don't think Palin's daughter is an embarrassment (though it would have been 50 years ago). I think it's a tremendous example of owning up to the responsibility and consequences of a bad decision. I hope that boy can handle it.

I agree, Laura; it is a great example of responsibly accepting consequences.

And I like Todd and Sarah Palin's willingness to be transparent with their family. Their family isn't perfect, and they are willing to let that be known.

I would say that in all honesty being a parent myself two concerns come to mind...First and most important as regards the VP a newborn with special needs is a huge commitment of both emotional and physical energy. Secondly , caring for a young lady not even graduated from high school and her new baby and marriage to a very young man is another huge drain on one's physical and mental energy -she cannot serve two masters so to speak. I really think it is a sad commentary on a troubling pattern in our society that we always put personal achievement /employment before family needs. This is just another manifestation of the problem as I see it. I hope that young lady has been getting folic acid via diet and prenatal vitamins so she has a better chance at a healthy baby. She is so young . I am against abstinence only education but feel strongly that this is an argument for both solid values based education and scientific education to reduce the incidence of young/poor women becoming pregnant before they are ready.As a devoted Democrat who has volunteered for years in many capacities I am truly sad to hear this .

Here's the article.

and here's a quote from the article...

MCCAIN KNEW

Senior McCain campaign officials said McCain knew of the daughter's pregnancy when he selected Palin last week as his vice presidential running mate, deciding that it did not disqualify the 44-year-old governor in any way.

Honestly, I think this is just news because no one knows anything about Sarah Palin and she is still new and fresh and newsworthy on the scene.

Cheney has a lesbian daughter, Palin has a daughter that is dealing with a teen pregnancy. This is just life. I don't think the dems will make a big deal of this (like the press is today) because remember, the democrats are the liberal one's. This is the stuff we are understanding about. :)

I hope no one thinks that this is a republican thing to do (get pregnant and NOT have an abortion) like any dem would just get an abortion... that's why we want it legal right? NO. There are many, many pro choice people who do not just say "I'm pregnant, off to get an abortion".

I understand the need to use everything you can to win an election, but I pray this little girl isn't persecuted as a result of anyone's ambition. Poor kid (and her family) must be going through a lot right now. My kids are young, but I know as I look into the future that I can't control their every move and I pray that I won't be judged for my kid's behavior. We are all doing our best and I think as moms we need to support each and encourage each other. I figure we're all just one decision, sometimes one a child makes, away from being a "them" and we need to be compassionate about others struggles.

I think it's a great time for a little Plato, "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

I agree.

I hope the media will leave her alone. That poor girl does not need to be fodder for the gossip mills. Being 17 and pregnant is enough, having to deal with being in the public eye is too much.

I was just reading about this.

I Think the rumors are around Sarah and if she faked a preg for the daughter.

Seems like a lot of poeple are saying they never saw Sarah look pregnant and also that she did quite a bit of work and traveling during the last tirmester and right after the birth. Then they say the 17 year old missed 5 months of school during that time with mono.

I can't say I know what the truth is. That is a private family matter but I think i would have considered that before i accepted such a public position.

I think the press should respect the privacy of the children but situations will just draw the press like flies.

I wish the best for the teen and I wish she didn't have to deal with all this under a microscope.

I think we'll have to see how this plays out, but I think it is very, very premature to say the election is now decided.

I don't understand anyone celebrating another family's struggle. Regardless of political posturing, I think any mom would be saddened for her 17 year old unwed daughter to get pregnant, whether from moral grounds or simply practicality - a 17 year old single mom has a very difficult road ahead, and to marry at 17 is mighty early for many girls. It's like the sordid glee some took in seeing the Bush daughters drinking at college parties. Frankly I see a double standard when some advocate strongly for early sex education and sexual freedom and distributing condoms and keeping visits to Planned Parenthood a secret from parents, and then point fingers saying "her kid got pregnant so she's not worthy."

We're human. To us Christians, it's a symptom of the fallen world we live in. All of us fall short of perfection in some way or another. Our children will, too. This hasn't changed my vote one bit; the Palins are dealing with a situation the best they can, and God help us, we might one day be on that same road.

Frankly I see a double standard when some advocate strongly for early sex education and sexual freedom and distributing condoms and keeping visits to Planned Parenthood a secret from parents, and then point fingers saying "her kid got pregnant so she's not worthy."

I haven't seen that at all. Have you? Or are you predicting what will happen here?

Okay, here's what gets me. Two things, I guess...

First, I think the McCain people *have* to be lying when they say they knew before announcing Palin as the VP choice. I mean, I just can't *imagine* they would take her on -- controversial choice as she is -- knowing her teenage daughter was pregnant and what a distraction that could be.

Second, I'm sort of horrified that Palin would be willing to throw her daughter in the spotlight more than she already was (by accepting the VP nomination) while she's going through something so private, at such a young age. It *seems* terribly callous to me.

I really don't know what to make of this yet. It will take time, and I'm sure that a lot more information will come out... But right now... I'm just a little concerned about the adults' choices in all of this. Bristol, well, I just hope she's getting the love and support she needs, and that she and the boy are right for each other.

There but by the grace of God go any of us.

This isn't the 1950's where pregnant teens were hustled off under the cloak of darkness to homes for unwed mothers. Teen pregnancies aren't as scandalous (are they even scandalous at all anymore?) as they were 60 years ago.

I don't see how anyone can judge Palin for her 17 year old's actions. I'd think those who'd judge her in this situation wouldn't be voting for a ticket with a woman running, anyway.

I don't applaud premarital sex, but I do applaud the girl for taking responsibility for her actions. She's going to have a tough road ahead of her.

Oh, I wouldn't say it's over. This is America. We love entertainment whether it be in the form of reality shows or plain ol' real life. If anything, we embrace people who lead messy lives. The only thing that comes to my mind is that if I were this young woman, I'd sure like my mom to be available to me in the coming months.

I would say that in all honesty being a parent myself two concerns come to mind...First and most important as regards the VP a newborn with special needs is a huge commitment of both emotional and physical energy. Secondly , caring for a young lady not even graduated from high school and her new baby and marriage to a very young man is another huge drain on one's physical and mental energy -she cannot serve two masters so to speak. I really think it is a sad commentary on a troubling pattern in our society that we always put personal achievement /employment before family needs. .

Personally, and this is just MY opinion, I think Sarah Palin needs to step down. Not because of politics, not because this will be a distraction for the Republican party, but because her family needs her now. It just seems like they have so much as a family, right now. Maybe it would be better to wait a bit to enter national politics?

But that is just my middle age mom of teens opinion bubbling up. If this were to ever occur in my family I am pretty sure that I would put aside any personal interests I have (not that my interests would ever include national politics, but still...) and just be there.

Oh, I wouldn't say it's over. This is America. We love entertainment whether it be in the form of reality shows or plain ol' real life. If anything, we embrace people who lead messy lives. The only thing that comes to my mind is that if I were this young woman, I'd sure like my mom to be available to me in the coming months.

Can't disagree with that.

First, I think the McCain people *have* to be lying when they say they knew before announcing Palin as the VP choice. I mean, I just can't *imagine* they would take her own -- controversial choice as she is -- knowing her teenage daughter was pregnant and what a distraction that could be.

Second, I'm sort of horrified that Palin would be willing to throw her daughter in the spotlight more than she already was (by accepting the VP nomination) while she's going through something so private, at such a young age. It *seems* terribly callous to me.

I really don't know what to make of this yet. It will take time, and I'm sure that a lot more information will come out... But right now... I'm just a little concerned about the adults' choices in all of this. Bristol, well, I just hope she's getting the love and support she needs, and that she and the boy are right for each other.

I agree on all counts. The callousness gets me. Not sure how to wrap my head around that.

don't they check on these kind of things before they make a selection and announce? it doesn't affect my vote, but i'm surprised that an issue like this wasn't completely explored first. it makes me question the thoroughness of the mccain administration, particularly given the questionable investigative work of the current executive office.

i hope the girl doens't feel pressured to get married at such a young age.

tomato shields up: i think this kind of thing may, in fact, help the conservative side if they play their cards strategically. it actually makes the palin family seem even more like "regular folks" to whom voters with real-life challneges can relate. i hope that this girl is not upheld an "ordinary girl in extraordinary situation makes the 'right' decision" example to the point of exloitation.

i very much support her choice to carry and keep her baby and marry the father (if they are both ready for and fully committed to a lifetime relationship). i hope these are indeed her decisions made without potilitcal or parental influence.

First, I think the McCain people *have* to be lying when they say they knew before announcing Palin as the VP choice. I mean, I just can't *imagine* they would take her own -- controversial choice as she is -- knowing her teenage daughter was pregnant and what a distraction that could be.

I really don't know what to make of this yet. It will take time, and I'm sure that a lot more information will come out... But right now... I'm just a little concerned about the adults' choices in all of this.

I agree, especially with the bolded.

:iagree:

I staunchly supported Cheney, and still do.

I *heart* you so I won't hold that against you! ;) :lol:

cheney_world.gif

Now, is this girl's name really Bristol? As in 'board'? :confused:

73_64082-89.jpg

Well, bless her heart...at least it wasn't spelled Brystal.

Oh, and this won't change my vote either; I'm still standing by the good doctor. :D

I haven't seen that at all. Have you? Or are you predicting what will happen here?

If one advocates for condom distribution, early sex ed, etc, then points fingers at the Palin family saying the daughter's pregnancy means Sarah Palin is now disqualified from VP on that basis, then yes, I would consider that a double standard.

I am not pointing to any specific person or post here. I'm saying that if the Democrats and Obama supporters leap on this to discredit the Palin family, they are treading on thin ice.