Menu

Breaking news on Fox... 17yo Bristol Palin is pregnant and will marry the father

LNC

Sorry about not having the qoutes in my response here...

I think a lot of teen-pregnancies could have been avoided if the parents had been more aware and/or if the child had received the attention they needed in the first place. I also think that had the parents been more aware then there would have been a dialogue going on and they would have known about the dd's needs/being in love etc. before there was a pregnancy.

I have been walking the shoes -although not all the way (thank heavens!). I was trying to say that I did experience with my brother how some people do not want to be helped, but I have also had some other experience where a mother's early intervention did prevent further problems (a la pregnancies).

I am now thinking that perhaps Palin is dealing with her family stress by no dealing with it all. I had also been under the impression that the father had been the primary caregiver alla long, but apparently then he just took leave (for the sake of the reporters? since they can probably afford nannies). I thought he had been around all along.

Anyways, it is none of my business, but because she has chosen to accept the nomination then she has put herself out there. Quite ambitious. In my opinion obviously too ambitious for any mother with five children. But then, I am slightly old-fashioned and a contrary product of the feminist-seventies.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, the negativity is *almost* enough to make me want to go and vote Republican!

To just barely come short of calling the woman a worthless mother... Maybe we need to vote in someone who will legislate exactly how many hours and exactly what degree of quality of parenting women must give.

Plus, I am confused here. Aren't republicans usually Christians and consider themselves to have a higher moral ground than liberals? How come it is just OK, too bad, brave choice for her not to abort? Why is nobody thinking how can it be OK to have pre-marital sex at age *17*? No morals? Why should that be all shyss'ed about? Am I just being old-fashioned and unrealistic?

I'd certainly have a fit if any of my kids had pre-marital whatever and you bet there'd be consequences. I cannot imagine people saying this could happen to anyone, because no, it wouldn't. Not if the family was involved and healththy.

Actually Christians, of all people, should be the first to say that this could happen to anyone. Aside from the oft-quoted passages about not judging lest you be judged and not casting the stone unless you yourself are sinless, there's this little morsel: The heart of man is desperately wicked--yes, that's right: desperately wicked. Who can know it? Christians also shouldn't be the ones obsessed with their own moral "high ground," as the Bible also clearly states that all our righteousness (and that's the good stuff that Paul's referring to, not the wicked) is as filthy rags.

(NB: No intention here of starting a contentious thread with my non-Christian boardmates about whether or not we're inherently good or evil. :001_smile:)

[

I am sorry, but this has got to be the most selfish persona I have heard about. To accept the VP-nomination while not only having young children *and* a special needs BABY, but knowing that her own dd would be publicly humiliated and scrutinized.

Or, one could look at all that is going on in her life, and her willingness to still do what she thinks is the best thing for her country, as a very selfless act. Just another way of looking at it IMHO.

Plus, I am confused here. Aren't republicans usually Christians and consider themselves to have a higher moral ground than liberals? How come it is just OK, too bad, brave choice for her not to abort? Why is nobody thinking how can it be OK to have pre-marital sex at age *17*? No morals? Why should that be all shyss'ed about? Am I just being old-fashioned and unrealistic?

Who said it was ok? Who said these people don't have morals? I didn't see anyone patting her on the back, and saying, "Good job, dear, we're so proud of you for getting preggars at 17" It's not like she had an affair and lied about it. Are they supposed to kick their dd out and disown her. Is that the type of person you would want running our country?

I'd certainly have a fit if any of my kids had pre-marital whatever and you bet there'd be consequences. I cannot imagine people saying this could happen to anyone, because no, it wouldn't. Not if the family was involved and healththy. Yes, I also had a brother who went way wrong (dies of an over-dose), but there were definitely family confusion and mental illness involved.

Yes, it really could hapen to anyone, even you. Sometimes people make mistakes, especially teenagers. Even ones that have involved, loving, strict parents who raise them w/ a strong moral compass. It happens. I've seen too many families who have one kid that struggles to make good choices, while it just comes natural to their other kids. It has nothing to do w/ mental illness or confusion. It's called being human, and as such, imperfect.

Are we supposed to stand up and ovate the family and the presidential runner because they are *not* choosing an abortion? That's lame. I am anti-abortion (except if the mother's life is at stake) so the issue of abortion is not a main consideration for me.

Nobody is asking you to stand up and ovate anyone. If you don't want to vote for her, then don't. I guess what I'm really getting at is, is it really fair to judge her based on her dd's mistakes, and not the real issues?

"They're" saying that Bristol is 5 months pregnant, is that right?

And "they've" suggested that perhaps Bristol was actually the mother of Trig, who was born . . . 5 months ago, yes?

So, if Bristol is 5 months pregnant *now*, it would be impossible for her to be Trig's mother, correct? So, if SUDDENLY the Palin family announces that Bristol is 5 months pregnant, then that conveniently puts to rest the rumor that Bristol is Trig's mother.

It's all very, very convenient, and something doesn't add up. The only thing more convenient than the timing of Bristol's pregnancy would be for the pregnancy not to reach full-term, which is what I predict will be the next announcement (that Bristol has miscarried).

For the record, I have no horse in this race. I have no candidate, and I have no feelings toward the Palin family other than to wish them the very, very best in this difficult time.

:iagree:

I am speaking to the question of whether or not is it our right to judge her decisions. It is my position that we have not just a right, but a responsibility to make a personal judgement on the decision-making process of someone who is running for such an office.

Well, I ask you in all sincerity, how in the name of juniper did Bill Clinton get elected? Talk about a person with some serious personal judgment issues. Multiple sexual encounters, shady business practice, a trail of dead people and he still manages to hold the title of the greatest president?:confused: More than half the country was willing to let him decisions for 8 years.

I fail to see how Palin's daughter getting pregnant has anything to do with Palin. You do the best that you can for your kids and they are responsible for their own choices.

Man, the negativity is *almost* enough to make me want to go and vote Republican!

To just barely come short of calling the woman a worthless mother... Maybe we need to vote in someone who will legislate exactly how many hours and exactly what degree of quality of parenting women must give.

Imagine what Palin's daughter is going through now. I hope the press leaves this kid alone. Let's move on to the real issues.

To be a Christian is exactly the opposite of what you describe. Only Sinners can become Christians. It is an acknowledgment of the guilt and sin in self that requires a sinner. That fact that Sarah Palin calls herself a Christian means that she realizes her faults and short comings. It is not a judgment on the rest of the world, but on self.

So people who are not Christians think they are perfect?

I'm so thankful she is choosing to do the right thing and not abort the baby. She's young, but this could turn to a positive that she is choosing to do the right thing. :) That doesn't end it in my book. Teenagers of all creeds make mistakes, no matter who their mom & dad are!

T

Great point, it could turn out to be a positive for McCain/Palin. Here she is setting another great example of the right thing to do in an unfortunate situation. They talk up so much her decision to keep her down syndrome son rather than abort him, and now her daughter is making the decision to do the right thing, too - keep and raise her baby with a mother and a father who love each other.

Initially, I almost agreed with it being all over for McCain/Palin, but on second thought, I think it will reinforce what Sarah Palin's all about. Besides, with the rate of teen pregnancy these days, we can hardly judge her. It's so common, it happens to the best of parents. Let's face it, parents these days are against significant challenges in teaching their kids to do the right thing in the face of what's becomming socially acceptable.

So are you saying the campaigning is the key point for you, as far as her being able to support her daughter? Or is it that it wouldn't be such a big story after the election? Or both, maybe? :)

I am saying that it is bad enough for the poor girl for this to happen when her mom was already governor. But for her mom to choose to go into a more public position with the knowledge that her daughter was pregnant is, in my opinion, selfish.

I think this the furor over this is ridiculous! This was a choice made by a 17 year-old girl; not her parents. If anything, I think the way the Sarah Palin is handling this truly shows her character. She acknowledged the difficult times that lay ahead for her daughter for the choice she made, yet she affirms her love for not only her daughter but the unborn child as well. Her daughter is choosing to keep the baby so again, the moral character of her parents has made an impact on her decision.

Also, this shows how strongly McCain believes in Sarah Palin as his VP choice. How easy would it have been for him to disqualify her because of this. He stuck to his beliefs in her qualifications and made a courageous decision. I personally find it refreshing to see a politician stick to his guns rather than do what's politically expedient!

Oh. My. Word. No wonder conspiracy theories abound on the internet. People will assume and attach themselves way too early to spin. It's really sickening.

Why is it sickening to be suspicious?:confused: You may take everything at face value, but especially in the world of politics, everything is not as it seems.

Why is it sickening to be suspicious?:confused: You may take everything at face value, but especially in the world of politics, everything is not as it seems.

I try to use something called facts. What you guys just spun was beyond suspicion or even assumptions. But you'd make good money working at The Enquirer.

Ugh.

http://eagleforumalaska.blogspot.com

"3. Will you support funding for abstinence-until-marriage education instead of for explicit sex-education programs, school-based clinics, and the distribution of contraceptives in schools?

SP: Yes, the explicit sex-ed programs will not find my support."

Okay, I am not saying where I stand on this situation - I am still taking it all in. But I wantto comment on the whole sex-ed thing.

First, just because I don't want a government employee teaching my kid sex-ed doesn't mean that I don't teach it myself. (FWIW, I don't think abstinence-only should be taught either, it shouldn't be a function of the public schools at all, they have enough to do). Second, there seems to be an assumption that if we just teach them how to use a cond*m, they'll use it. Not true. Just because someone gets pregnant doesn't mean they don't know how it happens, or that they didn't know they could pick up a cond*m at Walmart. Sometimes they are just being immature and caught in the heat of the moment. Sometimes they believe that abstinence is the right thing, and they forget their self-control. It happens.

I get the feeling that a lot of the opinions about Palin are based on the societal view that women are responsible for who their children become.

I agree that I see people saying that parent's are responsible for the decisions their teens make. I don't. Teens make decisions that are contrary to their parents desires every day.

Okay' date=' I am not saying where I stand on this situation - I am still taking it all in. But I wantto comment on the whole sex-ed thing.

First, just because I don't want a government employee teaching my kid sex-ed doesn't mean that I don't teach it myself. (FWIW, I don't think abstinence-only should be taught either, it shouldn't be a function of the public schools at all, they have enough to do). Second, there seems to be an assumption that if we just teach them how to use a cond*m, they'll use it. Not true. Just because someone gets pregnant doesn't mean they don't know how it happens, or that they didn't know they could pick up a cond*m at Walmart. Sometimes they are just being immature and caught in the heat of the moment. Sometimes they believe that abstinence is the right thing, and they forget their self-control. It happens.[/quote']

And sometimes the cond*ms don't work.

Well, I ask you in all sincerity, how in the name of juniper did Bill Clinton get elected? Talk about a person with some serious personal judgment issues. Multiple sexual encounters, shady business practice, a trail of dead people and he still manages to hold the title of the greatest president?:confused: More than half the country was willing to let him decisions for 8 years.

I fail to see how Palin's daughter getting pregnant has anything to do with Palin. You do the best that you can for your kids and they are responsible for their own choices.

I don't know what judgements voters made to elect President Clinton, I am simply saying we all have the right to make our own. It is the way we decide for whom we will vote. Have you not made personal judgements about Senator Obama? Or Senator Biden?

Regarding the pregnancy issue, it seems to me that the majority of posters here are commenting on Palin's choices to campaign with all that is happening in her family, not about the daughter being pregnant in the first place.

I wish more than anything in the world people would understand that being a Christian does NOT mean I am judging anyone else. I do have standards and morals that I feel I am called to live by. If someone asks me about them, sure I will share. BUT - I do not live up to those standards and morals every single day. That is because I AM HUMAN. It doesn't make me less of a Christian, and it doesn't mean that the standards have changed. It means that I am human and have made a mistake.

By saying I'm a Christian, I'm not putting myself of a moral pedestal. I don't think Sarah Palin put herself on a moral pedestal. I think she is judged for being a christian and if she falls short, she must be a hypocrite. That makes me furious.

yup.

sinning Christians are hypocrites.

Jews are money-grubbing greedy SOB's.

Mormons are polygamists.

atheists have no morals.

Muslims are terrorists.

it would be nice if people who rail against judging another actually try to understand the factual difference between a FAITH and the people who interpret said faith in different manners.

I try to use something called facts. What you guys just spun was beyond suspicion or even assumptions. But you'd make good money working at The Enquirer.

Well it is a fact that Merriam-Webster defines suspicion in this way: the act or an instance of suspecting something wrong without proof or on slight evidence :)

But, why? A mother's role according to whom? To you? To me? To anyone else here?

How we choose to mother our children is our own business and to be judged for how we do it is just wrong.

As I said, personally, according to me, and I get my view from the Bible. Is it judgmental to state my belief??

Should she resign as governor too? Should any mom who has a high-powered job quit when her almost-adult dd gets pg?

It's possible she might be more available as VP than as governor.

OTOH, I got pg at 17 and became a mom at 18. I did not need my mom to quit her job or hold my hand.

Wow, there's an awful lot of judgments being made here on very little actual info.

Very. Little. Info. Lots of judgments. I am amazed.

I don't think we know enough about the Palin family dynamics to know how these situations are really being handled. And I do think, that although mothers have certain roles they *must* fulfill (pregnancy, nursing), that it is just as valid that the father can step down from his job and provide the stability and emotional nurturing and support for the family. I dislike extremely that a man is not expected to step down from his job in a similar situation.

No, I am not concerned about the Palins' children. They are not mine to be concerned about. I assume that the Palins are responsible, nurturing parents. If they are not, the consequences will be on their heads. They don't owe me anything in how they choose to raise their children.

As a democrat, I am voting for Obama, however:

If McCain/Palin do win this November, I think one of the best things that will come of it is the position it puts Todd Palin in to be a role-model for America. We already know women can make good politicians. (I'm not sure if that is a compliment? :)) But we still seem to question the ability of men to be primary caregivers. If Todd Palin can handle the position of husband to the VP, with all of the press that is sure to come with it and no doubt some cutesy names. If he can handle being the primary-caregiver (and father) to a teen-aged girl, a seven year old girl and a special needs infant while also being a solid support to a teen-aged pregnant daughter and eventually being a supportive grandfather as well, (all the while dealing with a wife who will often be stressed, over-worked or simply absent) I think he will be paving what has been a bumpy road for men, particulary men with wives that are choosing careers previously dominated by men.

Amen to that.

Ok- clearly this thread is why any woman with less than a rock hard shell and a great deal of confidence would NEVER run for public office.

Clearly the Palins are well aware of all the "problems" in their family. They made the decision that the Governor should go ahead and accept the nomination anyway.

Instead of pitying them for their special needs child, son in Iraq, and pregnant daughter why don't we give them the space to celebrate a new child, selflessness in serving one's country, upcoming wedding and the birth of their grandchild. These are wonderful events that they appear to be welcoming; why should we be detracting from their joy?

If they announced all this ahead of time I guess McCain's announcement of VP choice would have been anti-climatic. They seem to be going public with all their so called skeletons in a rather timely fashion.

Let's deal with the issues and stop disecting how their family should be living. Is the McCain/Palin ticket your choice? Head to the polls in November and let your voice be heard.

:iagree:Isn't her whole campaign family values, she basically had nothing else. Every speech I heard spoke about her family. Except the point her teenage daughter was pregnant. Did you notice the preg. daughter was the one holding the baby, she was covered, then family shots, she was not shown.

Not that I was voting for them, but you cant run on a moral ticket and have pregnant teenagers. That basically condones teenage pregnancy, what kind of message is that for our teenagers?

She should not have accepted the ticket, she really needs to focus on her family a little bit more.

Jet

There's a huge difference between CONDONING teenage pregnancy, and accepting that it is a fact. I know several teen moms at our church, and while it isn't the desire of my heart for my kids to be there, it isn't my job to stand up and say they are evil. The best you can do, when a teen makes that choice, is to stand beside them and say it doens't change the fact that I love you. I'm sure if you asked Ms. Palin, she never would have chosen this for her child. But how much more hurtful to condemn the child and her choices. She isn't hiding her under a rug, sending her to Switzerland to have the baby, she is standing beside her daughter with the appearance of supporting her child and her decisions. Even if they weren't what she might have chosen.

Please that I'll be that selfless if my children ever are in this situation.

Ok- clearly this thread is why any woman with less than a rock hard shell and a great deal of confidence would NEVER run for public office.

Clearly the Palins are well aware of all the "problems" in their family. They made the decision that the Governor should go ahead and accept the nomination anyway.

Instead of pitying them for their special needs child, son in Iraq, and pregnant daughter why don't we give them the space to celebrate a new child, selflessness in serving one's country, upcoming wedding and the birth of their grandchild. These are wonderful events that they appear to be welcoming; why should we be detracting from their joy?

If they announced all this ahead of time I guess McCain's announcement of VP choice would have been anti-climatic. They seem to be going public with all their so called skeletons in a rather timely fashion.

Let's deal with the issues and stop disecting how their family should be living. Is the McCain/Palin ticket your choice? Head to the polls in November and let your voice be heard.

I don't think it can be said any better than this! :iagree:

yup.

sinning Christians are hypocrites.

Jews are money-grubbing greedy SOB's.

Mormons are polygamists.

atheists have no morals.

Muslims are terrorists.

it would be nice if people who rail against judging another actually try to understand the factual difference between a FAITH and the people who interpret said faith in different manners.

And I think a number here need to look in the mirror. I can easily find posts from many of you judging the actions of other parents on many fronts, like education, how they clothe their kids, feed them, letting them go to r-rated movies, etc.

It stings when someone you like or support is being judged, so maybe it will be something you can reflect on as you judge that mom who allows her daughter to wear a tub top, or another mom who thinks public school is just fine for her son.

"They're" saying that Bristol is 5 months pregnant, is that right?

And "they've" suggested that perhaps Bristol was actually the mother of Trig, who was born . . . 5 months ago, yes?

So, if Bristol is 5 months pregnant *now*, it would be impossible for her to be Trig's mother, correct? So, if SUDDENLY the Palin family announces that Bristol is 5 months pregnant, then that conveniently puts to rest the rumor that Bristol is Trig's mother.

It's all very, very convenient, and something doesn't add up. The only thing more convenient than the timing of Bristol's pregnancy would be for the pregnancy not to reach full-term, which is what I predict will be the next announcement (that Bristol has miscarried).

For the record, I have no horse in this race. I have no candidate, and I have no feelings toward the Palin family other than to wish them the very, very best in this difficult time.

Then please show that by not generating speculative rumors.

And sometimes the cond*ms don't work.

I'm living proof of that.

My dh is living proof of that.

My 5th child is (okay, will be God willing) living proof of that.

My 10yo niece is living proof of that...

Gee, I see a pattern, don't you?:lol:

I want to echo Abbeyej's concerns. I'm in NO way throwing stones at the mom for what happened to the daughter. BUT, if she knew her underage daughter was pregnant out of wedlock, then she made the decision to accept the VP candidacy knowing the negative attention it would bring to her daughter.

Regardless of any decision, wise or poor, that my daughter may make, I would never do something that would further shine a spotlight on a huge struggle in her life. I find it ironic that the people saying, "She was already governor, this would have made it in the media anyway," are also the ones who have been saying, "She's hardly been in the media's attention long enough to have much information about her." Which is it? These two statements, in my opinion, clearly delineate the difference between being a governor and being a VP candidate.

I am amazed that so many people are trying to compare the position of Vice President of the Unites States to any other career woman's occupation. I support the right of any woman to choose a career, but VP of the USA is so far and beyond, say, CEO of a large corporation. It just doesn't compare. I'm also not saying that women can't or shouldn't hold high office positions. Just that possibly one with this many personal family issues right now might be better served by tending to those issues. She's still very young, and has many years in the political spotlight ahead of her.

If one advocates for condom distribution, early sex ed, etc, then points fingers at the Palin family saying the daughter's pregnancy means Sarah Palin is now disqualified from VP on that basis, then yes, I would consider that a double standard.

I'm not seeing this happen. If any fingers are being pointed, it's not at Palin as a value judgment, but possibly as indictment against her "abstinence only" stance, which has most obviously not been successful with her daughter. I know teens have a mind of their own, and that's precisely why I think they should be educated from all sides, not just the ones that their parents hold. Because children don't always choose the path of their parents, no matter how sincere the parents are in their attemtps to instill their morals in their children.

I do find this curious. Have we not just had a number of threads wondering what's wrong with parents today, pre-teen bikini waxing, ten year-olds wearing make-up, etc.

I have to say I find this curious myself.

The "internet rumors" started in the Alaska press back in March. It speaks poorly of both Sarah Palin and John McCain's judgment that the babygate rumors were not laid to rest on the day Palin's selection was announced--a matter-of-fact mention of Bristol's pregnancy during the family introduction would have prevented a lot of pain for the girl.

Great point! Yes, the "rumors" were very well-known in Alaska long before her VP announcement. If indeed Palin and McCain knew about this, it would have been VERY wise to have made this announcement upfront, as soon as the family was thrust into the national spotlight. They certainly couldn't have been so confident as to think the rumors wouldn't be unearthed.

I would add this - I read that the Palin children were surprised by the vp announcement. They thought they were going to a surprise 20th wedding anniversary celebration for their parents -when they were on their way to Dayton. They only found out when they got there.

I would go so far as to speculate that perhaps the Gov. and Mr. Palin didn't know this beforehand. As Abbey speculated McCain didn't really know beforehand, although he claims to.

The scenario bothers me. Why would they not tell the children about this ahead of time, and in fact lie to them about the event? As a surprise? If this is true, it's unfathomable for me to imagine springing something like that on my unprepared children.

I agree with you. That is a lot. But, who's to say that this stress wouldn't have been there anyway. Sarah Palin is a governor. It would have made national news, believe me. Now that they have addressed it, maybe can be put to bed quicker and we can all get on with our lives.

Again, I don't get the comparison of governor to VP. And for as much as many would like this to "be put to bed", for a lot of people, this does speak to Palin's committment to her family. Everyone here was so excited when she was announced because of the "family values" she represents. I'm trying, but I can't find very many values that I share with her. She's a career woman, and I have no problem with that. But I do not relate to her priorities. At all.

Why can't Todd and Sarah Palin be given the unjudged opportunity to make their own decisions about what is right for their family?

Good point. They do have the right to make their own decisions, and they have. But when you are a public official, much like a celebrity, you make those decisions knowing they will be front page news. She has placed herself in a position to be judged on many levels, far more than she ever was as a governor. In the end, that's what each of our votes comes down to. Our judgment of who is best for the position. Obviously people vary on the amount that a candidate's personal life impacts their political abilities. But for many voters, it is a strong qualifier.

I know I'd be devastated if my son brought home a pregnant girlfriend because I truly feel it would ruin the rest of his life.

But I do know that my definition of "support" wouldn't include putting my life on hold to deal with it.

I feel so sorry for this young couple -- that they are, today, the topic of conversation on numerous blogs and web forums.

In your devastation if your son brought that news, would you elect to make the situation magnified by changing your life in a way that would cause more stress on your son? No one says she should put her life on hold. In fact, I think many are saying quite the opposite. Keep her life just as it was five months ago when she was about to give birth herself and her daughter became pregnant. I haven't seen anyone suggest she should just up and quit her career.

I also feel so sorry for the young couple, because a huge percentage of the attention they are receiving right could have been avoided by a decision of her mother. No, not all of it could have been avoided. But undoubtedly a HUGE percentage.

It's an unfortunate situation for her family. She has made decisions that I cannot begin to understand. But I can't say that any of this effects my vote in any way, at least not at this early date.

If I had anymore rep to give today you'd be getting it!! :iagree::iagree::iagree:

I am saying that it is bad enough for the poor girl for this to happen when her mom was already governor. But for her mom to choose to go into a more public position with the knowledge that her daughter was pregnant is, in my opinion, selfish.

Perhaps, but we really don't have much in the way of facts here, other than that the daughter is a teenager, she's pregnant, and she's getting married.

I agree with everyone who is expressing sympathy for the daughter and the baby's father in that they are now national news. But she's already five months pregnant. This issue has, I'm sure, been a topic of discussion at the dinner table for months now, and I would imagine that the boy's family hasn't been left out in the cold. While her nomination might have surprised the rest of the country, it wasn't dropped on these people overnight.

My point is, I'd be pretty surprised if these issues weren't discussed and discussed and discussed with everyone involved before the final decision was made. If the decision to accept the nomination was made despite objections from the daughter, the boy, or his family, that *is* something I would want to know -- but not something I'm ready to assume.

I'm surprised at what I'm reading. No one knows that anything that has been said to the media is a lie. All we can do is accept their words at this point because we don't know any different.

Her sister's life should not be an issue. Her daughter's pregnancy shouldn't be an issue. She's getting married and is going out on her own, she made that choice when she decided to get pregnant and then married. She's more than old enough to handle it, it's not like she's 13. My mom had me at 19, alone and she was and is a fantastic parent.

Sarah Palin can wear her baby all day at the white house and it's nobody's business. If she quits it's not like he won't have Down Syndrome anymore. What more can she do for him other than mother him and love him? She can do that from anywhere.

And exactly what is she supposed to do to be there for her son, a grown man, who is stationed in Iraq? She's supposed to stay at home and pine away and mother him from Alaska while he is in the military in IRAQ?

I find the whole line of reasoning about what she can handle or can't handle or what she should or shouldn't be doing to be a complete non issue for me.

I find we are agreement once again. *I* wouldn't make those choices to work with a little one. Shoot, I've made a choice to give up my law training and not even work one little, bitty part-time job at this point.

But, that's *my* choice. Isn't that what the equal rights movement was all about? What a conundrum we've put our young ladies in. Years of training and studying and "you can be anything you want, honey" and then . . . " but you have a family. How could you?" Our messages are so mixed. [footnote: I found myself caught up in this same mixed message.]

I especially don't see this as an issue when the Palins have decided as a family that her husband will be the primary caregiver at this point. If they had both chucked their children over to The Nanny Agency, then yeah, bad choice. But why bad if Dad rather than Mom decides to stay home?

Lisa

BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!

I'm living proof of that.

My dh is living proof of that.

My 5th child is (okay, will be God willing) living proof of that.

My 10yo niece is living proof of that...

Gee, I see a pattern, don't you?:lol:

I've got a condom baby and a bc pill baby. I do talk about birth control but I also talk about not having sex with anyone you don't want to be the mother of your children. How many of us had sex anyway?

(I get to be the exception. My mom handed me a box of condoms when I started my period. My parents practiced free love. I had to find healthy boundaries and a good value system on my own. Oh, well, made me stronger.)

There's a huge difference between CONDONING teenage pregnancy, and accepting that it is a fact. I know several teen moms at our church, and while it isn't the desire of my heart for my kids to be there, it isn't my job to stand up and say they are evil. The best you can do, when a teen makes that choice, is to stand beside them and say it doens't change the fact that I love you. I'm sure if you asked Ms. Palin, she never would have chosen this for her child. But how much more hurtful to condemn the child and her choices. She isn't hiding her under a rug, sending her to Switzerland to have the baby, she is standing beside her daughter with the appearance of supporting her child and her decisions. Even if they weren't what she might have chosen.

Please that I'll be that selfless if my children ever are in this situation.

It's not like she drank the water and got pregnant. Just like there are signs of drug use, there are signs of promiscuity. It could be a teen cry, Palin needs to be home a little more.

I am very liberal, and can accept teen pregnancy, but its a big problem, and something that has to be dealt with, just marrying does not fix the problem, sometimes it can add.

It makes me really question her decision making skills to run. I would not, but I am kind of mom who closed up a thriving salon to stay home with my babies. They are nbr. one, my family always come first. That is kind of woman I would want to run. Not knocking working moms.

Jet

I don't dislike Sarah Palin because her daughter got pregnant. That would be ridiculous.

I dislike Sarah Palin for her own admitted shortcomings. By her own admission, she was eight months pregnant with Trig, already known to have Downs, and she chose to fly over eight hours to Texas for a speech. Her water broke, yet she gave her speech, went to the airport, hopped a commercial flight to Seattle, changed planes and continued to Anchorage, bypassed the hospitals there, and continued on to a small, regional hospital in Wasilla. This was her fifth pregnancy, which often progresses much faster than a first. This was a high-risk delivery; many Downs children are born with heart and other problems, some of them requiring immediate intervention. To me, this showed poor judgment.

When Sarah Palin was running for governor, much fuss was made that her husband had given up his job to stay home with the kids. After she took office, he was back at work full-time within a month. They said at the time that they hadn't intended for him to stay home her entire term as governor (although that was implied during the election). I'm a feminist, so I'm certainly not saying that a mother shouldn't work, but this isn't just any job. Running for the second highest office in the land means campaigning hard for the next two months, living on the road and making appearances 12-16 hours a day. Meanwhile, Sarah Palin has five children, including an infant with significant special needs. Kids require a large commitment, too. I'm not saying she should be home for Bristol, but she should be home at least a BIT for young Trig. Was this really the right time for her to run for this office? Maybe waiting four years -- when Trig would be out of infancy and bonded, when Bristol's early pregnancy/marriage would be well in the past -- would have been the better thing to do for her family? Again, I have to question her judgment.

Her 17yo daughter is pregnant. As I said, I don't hold Sarah Palin responsible for this, of course. But she did choose to put herself and her entire family under an international spotlight at this difficult time. I've seen posters here say what a great thing Bristol's done by choosing to keep the baby, yet then saying she's made her mistake and now has to deal with the negative attention of it. To my mind, there should be more to being pro-life than just being anti-abortion. Being pro-life should mean showing care and concern for people, including those who get pregnant too young. Bristol would have to deal with the consequences of her actions no matter what, of course, but there's a big difference between facing family, friends, and neighbors versus being the lead story on CNN. I think Sarah Palin choosing to accept the nomination showed a lack of concern for the emotional needs of her daughter. Again, this shows poor judgment.

So why does all of this matter? I hate petty gossip. I hate the fact that people are studying the belly bump on a 17-year-old girl. I hate anything that takes this election away from the real issues and turns to mudslinging. So why is any of what I mentioned above important? Because this person could be next in line for the presidency. Because even as VP, Sarah Palin would be making decisions that affect us all. Whether any of the above decisions were made out of stupidity, lack of concern, lying, ego, self-gain at all costs, just plain lack of forethought, or any other possibility, the end result is questionable judgment. And that should most definitely be a consideration in the voting booth.

Just my not-so humble opinion.

As I said, personally, according to me, and I get my view from the Bible. Is it judgmental to state my belief??

No, of course not.:001_smile: And, FWIW, I hold the same Biblical belief. Now, with that being said, I am not ready to stand in judgment of another mother's decisions, not that I think you are, its just my own feeling.

I hope that you didn't think I was throwing tomatoes at you, (no pun intended) I was really just trying to understand what you were saying. Tone is hard to convey here.

Okay, I stopped reading about page 6, so I don't know if it's been addressed or not, but am I the only one that's concerned about the daughter getting married at 17??? Politics aside, teens do stupid things all the time in the best households. I come from a divorced family. My parents married when my mom was 19 because she was afraid she was pregnant (she wasn't, I came along 10 months later), but getting married young because of pregnancy seems to me to be so completely the wrong answer. If the kids get through the next few years and still want to get married then GREAT!!!

I don't know...maybe I'm to close to the situation, but the heartach and pain from having parents that truly didn't love each other and then divorce after years of horrible family life is just too big a risk for me.

And yes, I know people who get married young CAN live happily every after, I hvae an aunt who married at 16 and now they're in their 50's still very happily married. It just seems like a huge gamble.

Until and unless I hear otherwise, I am going to assume that the Palins discussed the ramifications with Bristol. I am going to give them the benefit of that doubt. In general, I try to assume that people want to do what is best for their children, and that we are not privy to what has taken place in this family.