Menu

What's inside your pillow shams?

KatieJ

Do you put extra pillows which are not intended for sleeping or do you put the pillow with a case on it inside the sham? With the 2nd response then you need to remove the pillow from the sham to sleep on it.

I stayed at a friends house and couldn't figure out where the sleeping pillows were so I asked. She stored them inside the sham. I always have the bed pillows against the head board with the shams and decorative pillows layered in front of the bed pillows.

Not a right or a wrong answer here, but I have never seen it done her way .

My pillow shams have pillows inside of them that aren't used for sleeping for a variety of reasons. The sleeping pillows are in their own cases and rest against the headboard, or so, until in use.

I did use one of the shams that wasn't in use from another set to protect my computer monitor (since the box is long gone) during a series of moves. Worked perfectly!

Your friend should just buy flanged pillowcases that are designed to be sleeping pillowcases and be done with it.

My shams have thick, extra-extra firm pillows in them that are entirely unsuitable for sleeping on, but are wonderful to lean against. When I make the bed they go in front of the regular pillows, and when I get into it I stick them behind. So mine serve both decorative and functional purposes.

We don't have anything as elegant as pillow shams but if we did you can bet I wouldn't be putting the pillows in and out twice a day: even a top sheet under the duvet is too much bed-making work for me! If the bed takes more than about 20 seconds to make (except on the day I strip it and make it with fresh linen), then it's too complicated.

Do you put extra pillows which are not intended for sleeping or do you put the pillow with a case on it inside the sham? With the 2nd response then you need to remove the pillow from the sham to sleep on it.

I stayed at a friends house and couldn't figure out where the sleeping pillows were so I asked. She stored them inside the sham. I always have the bed pillows against the head board with the shams and decorative pillows layered in front of the bed pillows.

Not a right or a wrong answer here, but I have never seen it done her way .

Extra pillows, which may be used if necessary (although they should be taken out of the pillow shams; I've had guests sleep on the shams).

We didn't use pillow shams when I was growing up, so I don't even know if there's a right or a wrong way. I just have always thought they were extra, I guess because it looks funny to have the "decorative" pillows lying flat on the bed, KWIM? Seems as if there should be pillows, then the pillows with shams on top of those. IDK. :-)

I have four beds with pillows and pillow shams. Three beds have comforters, with all pillows on top of the comforter; one bed has a bedspread, which goes over the pillows and then is tucked in, IYKWIM, with the pillow shams on top of that.

Our sleeping pillows are in shams. Why not? They're just fancier pillowcases. 

The shams I've had are more fancy than regular pillow cases. Too much washing would make them look shabby. Pillow cases are easy to launder and replace. The only shams I've had match the comforter so they can't be replaced if they stop looking nice.

We have two shams. One set is this satiny thing that matches our comforter. We don't use them much. They are pillow less and in the closet most of the time.

The shams that stay on the bed are huge square pillows with a cover that is not fancy but is comfy to sleep on.