Menu

Yoga Pants-help me!

Garga

I want yoga pants!

But I don't even know what they are.

In my mind they're skin tight pants that show every little lump in my butt and thighs, but they can't possibly be that, can they? I thought they were almost like wearing tights with nothing else.

I keep reading on here about yoga pants and everyone loves them and everyone wears them, but I don't feel like I've ever seen a person actually wearing yoga pants in real life, so I must not be understanding what they are. Y'all aren't wearing tights around in public, so what I'm imagining in my mind must not be what they are.

I want to wear them, too, since they sound awesome, but what exactly are they?

Can anyone link me to the yoga pants they wear that don't show lumps? Can you wear them in public or are they like wearing tights out in public? Would I only wear them around the house?

Please, give me examples. I have Christmas money and I want to spend it on yoga pants, but I don't want to buy the wrong thing.

No no no, a good yoga pant skims right over those less-toned areas, and a really good one will make your butt look awesome.

http://www.lucy.com/Do-Everything-Pant/112337,default,pd.html?dwvar_112337_color=lucy%20Black#start=1

This is an example, though this is probably not the exact pant that I wear all the time. I have two pair of Lucy pants that I rotate. They are pricey but wear like iron.

Eta: the Target pants are not the same quality. My girls have them, and they are fine, but they do not wear like iron, and they are clingier. Athleta also makes good yoga pants. And in the interests of full disclosure, I have never done yoga in them.

I have quite a few pairs, but my favorites are from Costco. The fabric is thick enough to not show every lump and bump. They are comfortable and hold up very well. I have one pair that is about three years old and they look brand new, not pilling or fading.

Eta: the Target pants are not the same quality. My girls have them, and they are fine, but they do not wear like iron, and they are clingier. Athleta also makes good yoga pants. And in the interests of full disclosure, I have never done yoga in them.

I feel so judged! Kidding. I did not know this. I feel a shopping spree coming on...

Sorry! Everyone always recommends the Target workout clothes, and I just do not like them, but clearly I am in the minority. I just get defensive on behalf of non-Target clothes.

No, I really didn't know. Mine are looking warn, and I'm pretty sure I need a smaller size  :D, so I'll have to shop around.

I will not tell you exactly what my least fave personal body part is, just it is something covered by pants.  Dd is determined to pull me into the yoga world, and yoga is one of the exercises I can see myself doing--there are very few others. 

She took me to buy a pair of yoga pants, and the ones that fit best and were not clingy were the Champion brand at Target.  They were pricey ($40) but, I was very surprised that they did not magnify imperfections.

At least I won't be doing the things I cannot stand even more than exercising, showing up at an exercise class in jeans.

I have a pair of warm Under Armor yoga pants that I LOVE. Like someone else said, they skim over the body and yet are 'tight' enough to look slim.

UA is pricey...I think I splurged on these at Academy about 4 years ago--$80 maybe? I do yoga, so I know they work for that. I also wear them around the house. I also run errands and such in them. All the ease of sweats with out the sloppy look.

Go to Academy or other sports store and try on a bunch. Some fit better than others.

I second the vote for Lucy; they are some of the best. I also wear prana and Beyond Yoga. I sign up for their mailing lists and get them on sale. You can sometimes find Lucy and prana at Sierra trading post. I have heard Athleta is good, but cannot personally give a recommendation since I have not purchased anything but swimwear from them.

These are the most recent ones I have, and they're not listed as yoga pants but in the description it talks about wearing them for yoga.  It also takes about wearing them for cycling but they are way too loose at the bottom for that.  

I haven't had any luck with Target clothes, and the Lucy brand I saw were too tight for this 53 year old woman. 

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-904443/email.jsp?om_mid=_Complete_Shipment_Responsive_Dynamic&om_etid=2328283&utm_source=TRA&utm_medium=ET&utm_term=2328283&utm_content=31368&utm_campaign=_Complete_Shipment_Responsive_Dynamic

I second the vote for Lucy; they are some of the best. I also wear prana and Beyond Yoga. I sign up for their mailing lists and get them on sale. You can sometimes find Lucy and prana at Sierra trading post. I have heard Athleta is good, but cannot personally give a recommendation since I have not purchased anything but swimwear from them.

Athleta is good!  I ike their chaturanga pants way better than beyond yoga.

Ok, I guess I give up, yoga pants for everyone. :laugh:

Why?

Because they mostly look sloppy, due to the nature of yoga pant material.  (Especially cheap yoga pant material) They aern't really meant to be worn all day long, or slept in and worn all day long. They are workout pants!  No one works out for 8 hours, and if they do, they are wearing really nice athletic wear made for it.

The stuff target and old navy sells is the worst, it doesnt' hold it's shape, pills, and fades.  It just doens't look nice. (And I've bought them and worn them so I'm speaking from experience.)

Costco has really nice reversible yoga pants. They don't stay in stock long. Those don't fit me in a manner that I am comfortable outside the house, but DH is a fan. ;) Target has some Champion Premium Semi-Fitted that I will wear outside. Very comfy and wash well. They also come in short, regular, and long lengths. Try a few styles because the fit totally depends on your build and preferences! :)

Eta link to Target pants: http://m.target.com/p/c9-by-champion-women-s-premium-semi-fit-pant/-/A-15367467

The "premium" line holds up well IME.

I've purchased my yoga pants (and tanks) from tjmaxx/marshall's.  I buy yoga clothing because I do yoga - so I want function over fashion. (some brands seem to care more about fashion and function is a complete afterthought.  if there is any.)  I really like the brand kyodan.   but the thing about those stores is it's pretty hit or miss.  though they do get them in.  I've never found where they have them in regular retail stock.  I like them enough - I'd be willing to pay more if I found them in a regular retail store.

Costco currently has a roadshow of yoga stuff that seems nicer than the regular yoga stuff they carry.  (which I consider very thin and don't like.  and their regular tanks have no support.)  I didn't really have time to actually look for more than a few seconds.

lorna jane is a company that is expanding into the US - and seems to have nice stuff.  (I will NEVER buy anything from lululemon.  for starters - the ceo is a complete misogynist with no compunctions about insulting his customer base. I do remember noticing how disgustingly thin the yoga pants were.  turns out - they're also see-thru. the customer complaints made the news.)

Lucy does seem to be a good brand.  haven't bought any (I don't need any at the moment) - but did check them out in their local store.  they have a wide selection of styles of pants (which I truly appreciate).

I am willing to splurge a little on good Yoga pants - I buy mine from Lululemon.  They hold their shape, don't fade or stretch out and are very comfortable to wear.  My latest pair has a very high rise at the waist.  I don't go out of the house without wearing a shirt or sweater long enough to cover my behind.

http://shop.lululemon.com/products/category/women-pants?mnid=mn;CAwomen;bottoms;pants 

I wear mostly lulu though dd & I also have Nike ones here & they're very good too.

I have some Old Navy compression crops & wear them to class but find them too shiny & thin for street.  I like fabrics that don't snag too much as I have to deal with dog paws etc.

Btw, the trend is definitely towards a skinny leg, rather than a flare. On the streets (& in the studio) we see much less of this on the trendy, hip peeps, & much more of the skinny ankle pants, which is mostly what you see on this page

Good yoga pants do amazing things to your thighs, hips & butt. They lift and smooth. So the look is not lumpy, but rather it's like wearing a support undergarment. Or armour :)

I disagree that they look sloppy. Mine are fitted from the knees up and I'll either wear them with a fitted jacket or shirt for a sporty look, or I'll wear a peasanty shirt with big earings and tie a colorful scarf around my waist.

I do think a baggy shirt over bulgy yoga pants is sloppy, and yes there is much of that, but I look sleek and sexy in them and I am not in fantastic shape.

I disagree that they look sloppy. Mine are fitted from the knees up and I'll either wear them with a fitted jacket or shirt for a sporty look, or I'll wear a peasanty shirt with big earings and tie a colorful scarf around my waist.

I do think a baggy shirt over bulgy yoga pants is sloppy, and yes there is much of that, but I look sleek and sexy in them and I am not in fantastic shape.

That's venturing into legging territory, which is a whole other discussion!

, the trend is definitely towards a skinny leg, rather than a flare. 

my personal opinion is a skinny leg is more conducive to certain poses than the flare.  when I was starting out - I had to wear capries (I couldn't find skinny leg pants)  because the flare from below the knee made things more difficult. (e.g. needing to grab my shin.)  now that I'm more experienced, the flare doesn't slow me down.  of course - if you're wearing them on the street, the flare looks better.

and good yoga clothes are worth the money.  and yes, they will hold their shape, not snag, offer support, etc.  l love my yoga tanks - they have a "real" built in shelf bra and they support!  and so comfortable.

my personal opinion is a skinny leg is more conducive to certain poses than the flare. when I was starting out - I had to wear capries (I couldn't find skinny leg pants) because the flare from below the knee made things more difficult. (e.g. needing to grab my shin.) now that I'm more experienced, the flare doesn't slow me down. of course - if you're wearing them on the street, the flare looks better.

and good yoga clothes are worth the money. and yes, they will hold their shape, not snag, offer support, etc. l love my yoga tanks - they have a "real" built in shelf bra and they support! and so comfortable.

What brand of yoga tanks? I need something supportive (but cute!) for a 32E.

I do Pilates, not yoga. I wear the Champion Premium semi-fitted pants in short referenced upthread.

I wear kyodan.  (and I love them.)  I've bought them from tjmaxx/marshall's.  I've never found where they do regular retail.  (so, I prowl and buy when they get them in.)

You might have luck with Lucy, or lorna jane.

I do Pilates, not yoga. I wear the Champion Premium semi-fitted pants in short referenced upthread.

my personal opinion is a skinny leg is more conducive to certain poses than the flare.  when I was starting out - I had to wear capries (I couldn't find skinny leg pants)  because the flare from below the knee made things more difficult. (e.g. needing to grab my shin.)  now that I'm more experienced, the flare doesn't slow me down.  of course - if you're wearing them on the street, the flare looks better.

and good yoga clothes are worth the money.  and yes, they will hold their shape, not snag, offer support, etc.  l love my yoga tanks - they have a "real" built in shelf bra and they support!  and so comfortable.

Would you argue that a tank like that would be beneficial for Itty Bitty Committee members? They really don't make sports bras for people like me and I look ridiculous doing jumping jacks with my arms crossed.

Would you argue that a tank like that would be beneficial for Itty Bitty Committee members? They really don't make sports bras for people like me and I look ridiculous doing jumping jacks with my arms crossed.

Lucy makes great tanks with supportive shelf bras. I am a 36D and can do jumping jacks in my Lucy tanks.

For itty bitty, check out ink n burn running tops. Shelf bra built in and you can put in the removable liner cups to hold perky nips in check.

Lululemon tops with the built in bras are also enough support for running for me (34b/36a range.) before I lost weight I had to wear a sports bra for running but now i don't.

Also, lulu has gorgeous but functional sport bras for everything from low impact itty bitties to big gals running ("ta ta tamers" are a big fave among my big gal friends)

I would also love to know about tanks as I have a girl who is about a 30E.

This whole thread has been so informative as I am looking into yoga and pilates for me. Stretching type exercise will be so good for me and I want the right clothes.

I wear Lands End women's active wear pants in both the regular leg and slim leg version:  http://www.landsend.com/shop/womens-activewear/-/N-fz2?No=0&Nrpp=72&setPageSize=72

I also own the capris and the crops.  Most pant styles are available in regular and in control, which is a tighter fit than regular.  I prefer the regular fit.

They will last longer if you hand-wash and dry on drying rack.  They hold their shape well and are flattering.

I use them for fitness walking, not for yoga.

Unless you plan on doing yoga in them, I'd look for something else.  The world does not need anymore moms in yoga pants! (And I'm a pretty serious yogi, so I love yoga pants!)

Clothing evolves. Jeans were originally made for miners and farmers, but I dare say a few more people have picked up their use for everyday life. Athletics shoes/tennis shoes were made for athletics but many people use them as a good supportive shoe around their house. Whatever works for people.

Yoga pants look sloppy? Apparently you don't live where folks feel free to wander around in public in sweat pants and pajama pants like they do in my area. Yoga pants are positively upscale. 

We yoga pants moms will never return to wearing inflexible pants with zippers or buttons or rigid waistbands. We revel in our ability to move and breathe and bend over while wearing our slimming sleek dark uniform of freedom and possibility. Never again, we vow, never again the tyranny of inflexible pants!