Menu

Since when did seat belts become optional?

gingersmom

I'm pretty sure it common for people to not wear seat belts.  Sadly, growing up I knew more people who didn't wear them than did and that still seems to be the case.  I remember many occasions as a teenager getting shit from my friends for putting my seat belt on and the fact that I wouldn't get into my boyfriends car because his front passenger seat belt didn't work.

I have had to yell at adults who were passengers in my car to either put their seat belt on or get out.

But for the under 18 set it is absolutely the responsibility of the driver to make sur everyone is buckled in properly, for their size, before the vehicle begins rolling. And that might mean checking back occasionally at stop lights, too, if your kids like fiddling with the buckle.

This reminds me of something we witnessed the other day. We were at a long red light--there were 2 lanes of cars on our side. Dh noticed a bit of a fuss happening in the car next to us. Parents turned around apparently trying to get a child buckled in. Then all of a sudden a loud voice calls out, "Little girl, get in your car seat!" It was the policeman in the car behind them using his car's loudspeaker to help some harried parents. Yep, she sat right down!

I think it is cultural. I can't imagine not wearing a seat belt any more than I can imagine going out without pants, but I've been driving with some friends of other cultures recently who only put their seat belts on when I waited for them to do so before driving off. 

ETA: And when I mean other cultures, I don't mean foreign. I just mean not my culture.

Emily

ETA: And when I mean other cultures, I don't mean foreign. I just mean not my culture.

I get that. When I was growing up no one wore seat belts. I did have one friend who would ask only the front seat passenger to put on a seat belt even though he, as the driver, didn't use his. When he was younger they'd been in a car accident and his brother, who was in the front passenger seat, was ejected from the car and died. I know it doesn't make sense, but to him it did. Anyway, when I met dh just a couple years later--in another state far away from where I grew up--his whole family *always* used their seat belts. It was actually a new concept to me--that people would always wear their seat belts. But from then on it became a habit for me too.

It's a funny thing. I'm young enough that I grew up using a car seat (although not as long as my kids are in one) and needing to be buckled after that. My parents always made sure we were buckled. But my sister and brother won't wear theirs if they aren't in a front seat. We were raised together but I automatically buckle myself and they never do. They don't live anywhere near us, but if they are riding with us I insist on it. They don't think it's "cool" to buckle. I don't know, I'm more worried about being alive than being cool....

When we were in Eastern Europe no one ever wore their seat belts, ever. One of our drivers had a fake buckle to insert into the driver's seat to keep the car from beeping that his seat wasn't buckled. They also drove like maniacs, yet I saw far fewer car accidents there than I do here on comparably busy streets.

I've never seen anyone without one around here but then I'm not doing seatbelt checks. Police will write a ticket if you aren't wearing one if they pull you over for another reason.

In my state, they are allowed to pull you over for not wearing a seatbelt and frequently do. That is not the case in all states but I think it should be.

We would be dead if we had not been wearing ours! We have always been strict anyway, and now I am practically paranoid. My mil really does not like to wear hers, but neither dh or I will start the car if she does not put it on. If she takes it off while driving, we pull over at the nearest safe spot, and wait. She gets aggregated. But, we have'to live with both the ticket and the outcome if there is an accident. I think part of her issue is her hubby threw a fit when the law was passed during constitutionality. So she thinks she is making a political statement. Sigh....

Here the driver can be (and will be if stopped) fined $124 for every child not wearing a seatbelt and for not wearing a belt themselves. I think passengers 16 and up can get their OWN ticket for $124 for not wearing a seatbelt. So an unbuckled parent with 4 kids bouncing around in the car is a $620 fine. By and large the people I know buckle up here. My nephew will sometimes try to not buckle up but he's learned not to mess with crazy Aunt Katie and wear his seatbelt.

Seatbelt violations are primary violations for all passengers here meaning the cops can stop you if they think you aren't wearing a seatbelt or they see an unrestrained child in the car.

I don't know of anyone here who doesn't wear a seatbelt. Rather than looking cool, it really makes you look rather uneducated to not wear one.

Compulsory seatbelt usage has been the law in my part of Canada since 1977, and the fine for not wearing one starts at just under $200 and goes up with each infraction.  I see that seatbelt laws in the US are much more recent and the fines are very minimal (except Texas).  I wonder if people in Texas are more likely to wear seatbelts than in other states?

...just found this on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seat_belt_use_rates_in_the_United_States

here is one by country:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seat_belt_use_rates_by_country

My MIL refuses to wear her seatbelt.  She was in a roll-over car accident in a Jeep in her teens.  None of her four other friends were wearing their seatbelts either.  She was ejected on impact and survived.  There were no other survivors.  Because of this she would not wear her seatbelt.  I wouldn't let her drive the kids anywhere, nor could she ride in our car without a seatbelt.  I used to tell her that trusting to dumb luck to save her twice didn't make sense.

Amber in SJ

My mom and stepdad weren't wearing seatbelts when they had a big accident. Mom broke both of her legs. Her excuse? She was on the way home and didn't feel she needed to be wearing the seatbelt. I was, and still am, floored at the logic.

A surprising number of people feel that if they are headed home or near home or in their neighborhood they are safe. I remember my dad wanting to leave to go somewhere and I said we needed to wait because I had to nurse my son and he was like "it's close by, you just nurse him in the car and I'll drive real slow." Uh, no.

A surprising number of people think if they are only driving a few blocks through residential areas to drop their kids off at school they don't need seatbelts.  One morning while I was taking my walk I stopped to wait for a woman pulling into her driveway.  To my shock she was driving with a pajama-clad toddler on her lap.  It was insane.

Amber in SJ

I don't wear one when I go pick up dd1 or make her sit in her booster but it's my driveway and yard. I drive up the drive way through my yard to the dirt road (I park in the yard). The only reason I even bother driving right now is because it's too cold for dd2 (I do have her strapped into her car seat).

Otherwise I have it on and dd1 is in her booster

My MIL refuses to wear her seatbelt.  She was in a roll-over car accident in a Jeep in her teens.  None of her four other friends were wearing their seatbelts either.  She was ejected on impact and survived.  There were no other survivors.  Because of this she would not wear her seatbelt.  I wouldn't let her drive the kids anywhere, nor could she ride in our car without a seatbelt.  I used to tell her that trusting to dumb luck to save her twice didn't make sense.

Amber in SJ

Yes, I knew someone who had been in an accident and he survived without a seatbelt, which became twisted in his head to mean he would have died if he'd been wearing the seatbelt. I guess in a way it's like people who smoke and think it's fine because they heard about some guy that lived to 100 and he smoked a pack a day, or whatever. 

There was a bad accident recently with a family from my hometown and five of them died; three children and the parents. None of those killed were in car seats or wearing seat belts. They were awesome people who are now remembered by those who didn't know them by this one act.

We were all from the same area and none of us grew up wearing seat belts or using car seats. I remember when the seat belt law in my state went into effect and it still wasn't something we did often. It's just the mindset there (small town). I left at 20 years old and moved across the country and have very different feelings about many things now but most of those from my hometown and surrounding areas don't leave. They just keep doing what their parents did and honestly don't see anything wrong with it. I don't even know if the recent accident will change anyone's mind there, either.

I have had to yell at adults who were passengers in my car to either put their seat belt on or get out.

As have I.

People are just stupid. I don't care how they reason it--not wearing a seat belt is stupid.

My car doesn't go out of "park" until all persons are seat-belted in. No exceptions.

DH said he and his brother were never required to wear seatbelts as a child until they got in a minor accident and threw DH on the floor of the car, uninjured. After that, they were required to wear seatbelts. In our state it is a primary law too so they can stop you just for a seatbelt violation but I don't think they do often. DH works at a public school in an inner city neighborhood and works car duty in the morning for student drop-off. He said that MOST kids are both not buckled and not in proper seats - so toddlers just bouncing in the back seat. I don't know how he is able to keep his mouth shut, honestly. 

This has been on my mind since the highly publicized accident of that family going to Disney World.  The parents were elementary school teachers.  I remember "always wear your seat belt!" being taught back when I was a kid.  I just don't understand the thought process that leads to not wearing them.... I also frequently see kids and adults around here riding bikes without helmets on, which also drives me bonkers.

My family has always worn seat belts.  My mom's dad even had them installed in their car when she was young because they weren't standard yet. I did have a few times in high school and college when we foolishly piled more people than could be buckled into vehicles, but it wasn't a frequent occurrence. And if my parents ever knew I would have gotten in serious trouble.

A boy I knew growing up was thrown into the windshield of a minivan from the backseat in an accident in high school.  He just had a concussion and minor cuts, but it was a lesson for everyone on how an unbuckled passenger can become a human missile.  

My kids know we don't move unless everyone is buckled, and we had a time of hardly going anywhere when DD went through a miserable carseat-fighting phase as a toddler.  That girl could flip herself out of her seat much faster than I could force her into her straps and it was awful.  She's generally more rational at almost six now  :glare:

I don't understand how anyone can stand the non-stop beeping if you aren't wearing your seatbelt. 

Everyone I know automatically buckles up when they get in the car.  It seems like its been a law here in NJ for a long time (along with helmet laws, we are the land of laws here for everything except homeschooling, go figure).

I don't notice if people in other cars are wearing their seatbelts.  I notice the truly stupid things like picking up kindergarteners from school and letting them sit in the front seat without a booster, or driving in a convertible while holding a baby in your lap.  The baby thing happened only once but I see the school pick-up thing ALL THE TIME.  Drives me crazy.

I don't understand how anyone can stand the non-stop beeping if you aren't wearing your seatbelt.

Everyone I know automatically buckles up when they get in the car. It seems like its been a law here in NJ for a long time (along with helmet laws, we are the land of laws here for everything except homeschooling, go figure).

I don't notice if people in other cars are wearing their seatbelts. I notice the truly stupid things like picking up kindergarteners from school and letting them sit in the front seat without a booster, or driving in a convertible while holding a baby in your lap. The baby thing happened only once but I see the school pick-up thing ALL THE TIME. Drives me crazy.

My 2005 Camry beeps if the front passengers aren't buckled in. It does not beep for the back seat. I don't know that my 2003 Sienna does though. It could be that some people just have old cars (and my cars aren't new by any measure.)

I think in many models the beeping shuts off if you wait long enough--a minute, maybe?

ETA: Oops, right after I posted I realized that's for when I have the key in but haven't turned the motor yet. I'm not sure this is actually how it operates once the motor is running.

It seems like its been a law here in NJ for a long time (along with helmet laws, we are the land of laws here for everything except homeschooling, go figure).

I grew up in NJ and I don't think it was required by law when I was a child (I'm 42), or at least not for folks riding in the back.   My parents were early seatbelt adopters and my mother would not start the car until everyone had put on a seatbelt.  This was not a popular practice among my classmates, and indeed I'm pretty sure Mrs. D was everyone's least favorite Hebrew school carpool mom.

In the absence of my parents and in other people's cars, though, it was anything goes.  Back of the station wagon, anyone?

Everyone I know automatically buckles up when they get in the car.  It seems like its been a law here in NJ for a long time (along with helmet laws, we are the land of laws here for everything except homeschooling, go figure).

Hah...so funny, but CT is the same darn way.  Laws for everything, but homeschooling?  Nope...not really.  They have suggested procedures and that's it. No law stating you have to follow them.

Here the fine for not wearing a seat belt is $145 per person. The driver is responsible and has to pay the fine for all passengers who do not have their belts on. You can also get demerit points and possibly loose your license.

People who do not wear seat belts are drongos who need their heads checked out.

Here the fine for not wearing a seat belt is $145 per person. The driver is responsible and has to pay the fine for all passengers who do not have their belts on. You can also get demerit points and possibly loose your license.

People who do not wear seat belts are drongos who need their heads checked out.

$50 here per person over the age of 16 or $25 to $100 for the driver and up to 3 points against the license (not quite sure when one or the other would apply)

The points are the more painful part because insurance companies will jack up your insurance rates.

I don't notice if people in other cars are wearing their seatbelts.  I notice the truly stupid things like picking up kindergarteners from school and letting them sit in the front seat without a booster, or driving in a convertible while holding a baby in your lap.  The baby thing happened only once but I see the school pick-up thing ALL THE TIME.  Drives me crazy.

According to wiki NJ didn't adopt an actual law until 1985. It looks like the first state was NY in 1984. Most appear to be in the 80s with my home state being 1985. Some states even appear to still only have laws regarding those in the front seat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seat_belt_legislation_in_the_United_States

When we were moving from AZ to TX, my cousin was driving one of the Uhuals for us (I was in it with him to keep him awake as we were trying to go straight through without stopping which didn't work) and the entire time he refused to wear a seatbelt. He states it's because a friend of his died in a car accident while wearing one so he won't do it.

My parents have a firm belief that we're not going anywhere/car isn't moving from that spot until all seatbelts are on. I'm going to continue that if I ever learn to drive without panicking.

I grew up in NJ and I don't think it was required by law when I was a child (I'm 42), or at least not for folks riding in the back.   My parents were early seatbelt adopters and my mother would not start the car until everyone had put on a seatbelt.  This was not a popular practice among my classmates, and indeed I'm pretty sure Mrs. D was everyone's least favorite Hebrew school carpool mom.

In the absence of my parents and in other people's cars, though, it was anything goes.  Back of the station wagon, anyone?

I'm 45 and I remember having to wear one when I was a kid.  Evidently it wasn't required (thanks Horton!) but I know my mother and my grandparents pushed it.  I remember falling asleep in the car while on vacation with my grandparents - they drove everywhere including Alaska - and I had to have the seatbelt on around my waist while I was lying across the seats.  Probably not the safest practice, but technically I was buckled up.  :laugh:

I do remember riding in the back of a station wagon with my cousins so it must not have been a 100% rule.

There was a family just a couple of weeks ago who lost FIVE family members, 3 of them children, because of being expelled from the vehicle. Two of those children should have still been in some form of child safety seats and neither was even buckled. 

We have also had a lot of this happening around here lately. It's awful, and absolutely avoidable.

According to wiki NJ didn't adopt an actual law until 1985. It looks like the first state was NY in 1984. Most appear to be in the 80s with my home state being 1985. Some states even appear to still only have laws regarding those in the front seat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seat_belt_legislation_in_the_United_States

I required seatbelts in 1974. I don't know if California required it or not.

This reminds me of something we witnessed the other day. We were at a long red light--there were 2 lanes of cars on our side. Dh noticed a bit of a fuss happening in the car next to us. Parents turned around apparently trying to get a child buckled in. Then all of a sudden a loud voice calls out, "Little girl, get in your car seat!" It was the policeman in the car behind them using his car's loudspeaker to help some harried parents. Yep, she sat right down!

Brilliant!

I required seatbelts in 1974. I don't know if California required it or not.

I find some of this conversation interesting because I think so much of it depended on where you lived. Dh grew up in CA and they were all in seat belts from the beginning (60s and 70s). His parents even had to have seat belts installed in at least one of their vehicles! I grew up in small town Texas and I don't know of anyone who wore them. We rarely even wore them when it became a law. Once I moved away (to the west coast, interestingly enough) my views on many things changed, including seat belts and car seats. I've even seen some friends, who also moved away, post pictures on FB of their 6-8 year old in a car seat and people still in my hometown area make jokes about it. They just don't get it.

StaceyinLA, that family of five you mentioned is who I referenced earlier. I grew up with one of the parents and we were all from the same area. They were really good people who did a lot for others, but not buckling up their kids is what they are remembered by now to those who didn't know them. I fluctuate between feeling heartbroken and angry. Mostly it's just sad.