Menu

What Bible version do you prefer for your kids personal Bible?

Mandylubug

We attend a church that teaches from KJV. I prefer NIV or ESV every day but it is hard to follow along with sermons. We haven't joined this church yet, so I don't feel obligated to buy extra KJV Bibles yet but I am pondering what is best for gifting my kids their own personal Bible. I am torn. I know some are against versions other than the KJV. I have read through the Bible using the ESV and I loved it. So much easier to read and I grew up with the KJV and NKJV so that language isn't foreign to me.

Please share links of information on why to pick what version if you have any.

we use kjv.  the kids were given their own when they turned eight. (to his issues, dudeling received one at nine - when he asked for his own.)

I've downloaded it onto my phone (for free) - and use it more than the hard copy.  I gave dudeling my old phone to play with - and it also has text or audio.  he will read with me, but he will do the audio on his own.

When I studied the Bible and Greek I was told that KJV would be more faithful except that now KJV is pretty much written in a foreign language since the everyday meaning of so many words has changed since they made the translation, and that the New American Standard was the best combination of good translation and actual English that Americans really use. I liked it because it didn't sound gimmicky. Plus you could get a better idea of tense and relationship between sentences using the NAS, whereas to a native American English speaker who didn't grow up in church and a totally churched-out environment, it was more meaningful.

The KJV somehow avoided being "through the hands of the catholic church" ??

Tell me more.  LOL

The Greek texts used in the translation of the Geneva Bible and the KJV were preserved through meticulous copying within the Byzantine Empire until the fall of Constantinople to the Ottoman Turks. The two main texts used in most modern translations are Vaticanus and Sinaiticus. Vaticanus was found, if memory serves me, in the Vatican basement, and Sinaiticus was found in a Monastery at the base of Mt. Sinai, both having been found in recent centuries.

That is a pretty good trick, seeing that Desiderius Erasmus played a major role in the compilation of the Textus Receptus.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiderius_Erasmus#Publication_of_the_Greek_New_Testament

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textus_Receptus

According to this chart, Origin and Growth of The English Bible, the NASB, NKJV, and RSV are closely "related" to the KJV. According to the preface of the ESV  "the 1971 RSV text providing the starting point for our work".

I think choosing a modern English translation from this group would give an accurate translation in modern English, yet still be close enough to KJV to not be too much a problem following along in church.

I cannot understand the language of the KJV (or Shakespeare for that matter) so I've always chosen NASB or NKJV. I've heard that regular exposure to KJV can help children become fluent in 17th century English that can help with other lit studies.

If I were in your shoes, I might buy several cheap paperback copies and try them out for a few weeks to see what works. If  you have e-readers, you don't even have to buy copies, just download.

Best wishes.

I always gave my children New American Standard. It's a version that you can read along with KJV and not be too lost, lol. I'm not a fan of NIV. OTOH, buying them a KJV might be good for them; the more they read it, the more they will understand it and be less likely to become befuddled if they hear someone else read it aloud, KWIM?

Thank you everyone! We own many Bibles. I personally have a KJV, NKJV, NIV, and ESV. I enjoy having the different ones. Just wasn't sure what I should give to my kids as their own personal Bible.

Perhaps, I am thinking too much about it. My girls are especially my concern due to being dyslexic. I was thinking the KJV may be confusing more so for them. However, with them being slower readers I could see reading a different translation in church as bothersome.

Another fan of the ESV here as well. When my kids complete their phonics program, we make a big deal out of presenting them their very own ESV Bible.
That being said my dh, the preacher man, uses the NASB. He finds it to be the most accurate to the original Greek (which he can read) of all the English translations, but he thinks the ESV is good too. I chose the ESV for myself and the kids because I like the readability of it. 

I like Lamsa's translation from the Aramaic of the Peshitta...

This handsome new edition of the authoritative English translation of the Aramaic (Syriac) Old and New Testaments--the language of Jesus--clarifies difficult passages and offers fresh insight on the Bible's message.

More info here :: http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Bible-Ancient-Translation-Peshitta/dp/0060649232/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415891987&sr=8-1&keywords=george+lamsa

We attend a church that teaches from KJV. I prefer NIV or ESV every day but it is hard to follow along with sermons. We haven't joined this church yet, so I don't feel obligated to buy extra KJV Bibles yet but I am pondering what is best for gifting my kids their own personal Bible. I am torn. I know some are against versions other than the KJV. I have read through the Bible using the ESV and I loved it. So much easier to read and I grew up with the KJV and NKJV so that language isn't foreign to me.

Please share links of information on why to pick what version if you have any.

Our church uses mostly NIV but I'm not comfortable with that version. I use KJV or NASB. (I grew up KJV and had no problem understanding it from 2nd grade on. But I am aware that I have already lost the argument that it isn't too hard there.) Dad uses ESV (prefers RSV but can't find it anymore) and we have gotten our kids ESV.

DS memorizes verses in NIV in Awanas and so far it has not been a problem.

For 6th grade, we got DD the HCSB Apologetics Student Study Bible: http://www.amazon.com/Apologetics-Study-Bible-Students-Trade/dp/1433614839/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1415899052&sr=8-4&keywords=hcsb+apologetics+study+bible

I bought one for myself several years ago and DD liked the looks of it.  She absolutely loves it now!  She's been highlighting like mad.  She especially enjoys all the apologetics articles, twisted scripture notes, and the Bones & Dirt (archeology) sections.

Its a nice idea tho, that you could have a Bible which is free from the influence of those filthy papists. ;)

Few Protestants use the actual 1611 KJV though, because it included the Apocryphal books. (Most use the edited version thst started being promulgated in the 1800s.) This Bible was never intended for personal study either, having been commissioned and dedicated to the use of public readings in the Anglican Church of England.

That is why the book favors a more poetic approach in its translation of texts than going with the objective, literal meaning. I have heard it said that the three most prominent examples of artistic English works are Shakespeare, the KJV, and the 1662 Book of Common Prayer.

We gave ours the King James Bible because we'd rather give them a sword than a wet noodle :laugh:
(They have never complained about the language.)

post-76716-0-78449400-1415917590_thumb.jpg

'And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God' (Eph. 6:17)

'For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.' (Heb. 4:12)

We gave ours the King James Bible because we'd rather give them a sword than a wet noodle :laugh:

attachicon.gifwet noodle 2.jpg

'And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God' (Eph. 6:17)

'For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.' (Heb. 4:12)

Seriously? KJV is NOT the only valid option out there. Many would say the opposite, if they know the history of King James. Your family, your choice but that's kind of rude of others choices, in a pretty major way.

My husband reads the OT in Hebrew and the NT in Greek--he likes the ESV for accuracy and readability--

I prefer the readability of the NIV, but that's because I don't have an ESV and haven't compared.

For kiddos--definitely a modern translation, like the ESV, NAS, or NIV. I want them to understand it, not get caught up in the language. It was supposed to be in the vernacular of the people. We no longer speak like the KJV. Same with the prayer book, btw. Anglicans are just lucky their BCP was composed in the time of Shakespeare, not the 60's! :laugh:

ETA: I know our newer versions are from the 70s.

Seriously? KJV is NOT the only valid option out there. Many would say the opposite, if they know the history of King James. Your family, your choice but that's kind of rude of others choices, in a pretty major way.

I was just trying to have a sense of humour about it. But yes, I do have a conviction that the King James Bible is the preserved word of God. (I was brought up on the other versions, the constantly updating ever-changing "versions", and know from the perspective of the child what that means.)

I'm just taking a stand for my own convictions here, just like everyone else has the freedom to stand on theirs.

My husband reads the OT in Hebrew and the NT in Greek--he likes the ESV for accuracy and readability--

I prefer the readability of the NIV, but that's because I don't have an ESV and haven't compared.

For kiddos--definitely a modern translation, like the ESV, NAS, or NIV. I want them to understand it, not get caught up in the language. It was supposed to be in the vernacular of the people. We no longer speak like the KJV. Same with the prayer book, btw. Anglicans are just lucky their BCP was composed in the time of Shakespeare, not the 60's! :laugh:

ETA: I know our newer versions are from the 70s.

Even at the time the first 1611 AV was printed they did not speak that "language". It was written that way for accuracy, and to retain the Hebraisms etc.

We chose ours based on reading level.  We used NIrV when the kids were young (RL 3.0) and then NIV (RL 7.9). I prefer NIV for my regular reading because it reads more like we talk. I prefer the 1984 version as more readable than the current version, though.

These are my preferences, exactly.

That said, we own just about every translation under the sun, LOL (DH is a minister).  And our pastor preaches from NASB, we sometimes use that for following along with sermons.

wet noodle 2.jpg

Let us play nicely. I am asking for opinions and I am open to reading articles linked and others opinions but let us refrain from insults. It benefits no one. The wet noodle comment could have been omitted and worded more appropriately.

Let us play nicely. I am asking for opinions and I am open to reading articles linked and others opinions but let us refrain from insults. It benefits no one. The wet noodle comment could have been omitted and worded more appropriately.

It's an illustration. (I'm hopeless at grammar, there's probably a better word 'simile'?)  Everyone is already saying that there are "better" and "worse" versions, not just me. My point is why not go for the best? The bible describes itself as a sword. Why take offense?

(And yes, of course I realise that not everyone believes the KJ Bible is the best. I accept that, I don't take it personally.)

What are you really after for your children? Maybe list/ask some specific questions to help you narrow down the choices.

A question that I would ask if I were in your shoes:

Will it worry me if my child is in church reading along in a different Bible version, and their verse does not say the same thing that is being read out aloud by the preacher etc?

Will it cause confusion?
Will it cause them to lose trust in what they are reading?

Why would that cause confusion or loss of trust?

Most kids can easily grasp tht the Bible is ancient and has been translated.

If you compare a verse in one bible to another it may say something quite different. Is it reasonable to expect a child to make an intelligent and researched decision about which verse says the correct thing? Will they then trust what their pastor says? Or their Bible? Or neither?

It's an illustration. (I'm hopeless at grammar, there's probably a better word 'simile'?) Everyone is already saying that there are "better" and "worse" versions, not just me. My point is why not go for the best? The bible describes itself as a sword. Why take offense?

(And yes, of course I realise that not everyone believes the KJ Bible is the best. I accept that, I don't take it personally.)

What are you really after for your children? Maybe list/ask some specific questions to help you narrow down the choices.

I don't think anyone else said better or worse. I see a lot of "I prefer" or "I like".

Nope. We teach hermeneutics and textual criticism to the kiddos, even at this young age, for just this reason. They are always to read the bible properly in context, go to a concordance or back to the Greek and Hebrew as needed, if there is confusion. If there is still an issue they can consult several trustworthy and thoughtful commentaries, and if that doesn't work they may go to the pastor and ask his opinion, realizing that he is educated in the subject but still fallible.

Works great. And this for we have had no issue that several good discussions with daddy couldn't clear up. But as they get older we will encourage them, as part of their study, to be very critical and thorough in their assessment of scripture. And that includes looking at multiple translations and comparing it to the derivative language sources and surrounding verses to discern what is the likeliest, clearest meaning of the verse to the audience to whom it was addressed.

But this still leads to some private interpretation wouldn't you say?

Many variables come in to play, and you've listed quite a few of them.

1) You have to trust the dictionary you use to define a Hebrew or Greek word (trusting the man who wrote it, who has his own biases and beliefs.)

2) You have to choose which Greek and Hebrew manuscripts to go back to (of which there is no one Greek or Hebrew manuscript available. And definitely no original manuscripts available.)

3) When you use a Greek or Hebrew dictionary you have to lift a word out of its context to try to understand it. This isn't a safe way to interpret. The danger in this is great, especially if the person can't speak the language at all to being with. You could just pick the definition that you want it to be. (And I've done this myself before, not realising what I was doing.)

A question that I would ask if I were in your shoes:

Will it worry me if my child is in church reading along in a different Bible version, and their verse does not say the same thing that is being read out aloud by the preacher etc?

Will it cause confusion?

Will it cause them to lose trust in what they are reading?

I don't see the correlation of confusion and lack of trust. Mine do know there are multiple versions and have no qualms or seem confused as to why.

I don't see the correlation of confusion and lack of trust. Mine do know there are multiple versions and have no qualms or seem confused as to why.

People lose trust in the word of God once they realise that one bible says one thing, but another bible says something different.

If this doesn't apply to you, it doesn't apply. But it has happened to more than a few people. Their faith in God becomes undermined once they realise that they can't really know what God said for sure.

People lose trust in the word of God once they realise that one bible says one thing, but another bible says something different.

If this doesn't apply to you, it doesn't apply. But it has happened to more than a few people. Their faith in God becomes undermined once they realise that they can't really know what God said for sure.

If one is not under the understanding that there are multiple interpretations of the Bible, then they are misled to begin with and them losijg trust in their faith due to that detail shows a lack of faith to begin with. However, that's another discussion. I would like to keep this to the topic at hand.

Should my child's personal use Bible be what I prefer to use at home or what is used by our church? You have explained your Biblical version preferences. Thank you.

Should my child's personal use Bible be what I prefer to use at home or what is used by our church? You have explained your Biblical version preferences. Thank you.

I don't think there is any reason why you should feel obligated to use the same version used by your pastor for the sermon if you have a different version you actually prefer.

Maybe knowing throughout growing up that there are different Bible translations and learning to deal with this would actually help kids from becoming disillusioned later in life when they realize that different translations are A Thing.  

If one is not under the understanding that there are multiple interpretations of the Bible, then they are misled to begin with and them losijg trust in their faith due to that detail shows a lack of faith to begin with. However, that's another discussion. I would like to keep this to the topic at hand.

Why wouldn't you just use your preferred version that you use at home if this is the case?

Why wouldn't you just use your preferred version that you use at home if this is the case?

I, as an adult do get distracted by the difference of versions while following along. Nothing has ever made me question one version over the other in accuracy honestly. I believe in researching scripture, digging and forming your own personal opinion. So, naturally, my kids realize there are different versions and that is okay. I am just struggling with the decision to choose their personal use Bible. My first instinct, being that they are dyslexic and reading is hard enough as is, is give them one that is easier to read. However, they accommodate their dyslexia currently with reading along with audio playing. It would be the same type of thing following along with a sermon and I can see them getting confused or distracted thinking they have yet again lost their place.

I, as an adult do get distracted by the difference of versions while following along. Nothing has ever made me question one version over the other in accuracy honestly. I believe in researching scripture, digging and forming your own personal opinion. So, naturally, my kids realize there are different versions and that is okay. I am just struggling with the decision to choose their personal use Bible. My first instinct, being that they are dyslexic and reading is hard enough as is, is give them one that is easier to read. However, they accommodate their dyslexia currently with reading along with audio playing. It would be the same type of thing following along with a sermon and I can see them getting confused or distracted thinking they have yet again lost their place.

Could you just pick up second hand King James bibles to take to church?

If this doesn't apply to you, it doesn'ta apply. But it has happened to more than a few people. Their faith in God becomes undermined once they realise that they can't really know what God said for sure.

Yeah, I can see that happening, as I believed it was too hard to read the Bible as I didn't know Greek or Hebrew. I'm so glad I can finally pick up the Bible read and believe what it says! Now I read it daily (mostly) and get so much out of it.

And my children don't complain either. And knowing that the language is rich makes me happy, as its not dumbing down like some versions are. ;-)

God preserved His Word for us.