Menu

Talk me down before I send this e-mail. I'm not the right kind of Christian to mentor an orphan.

AimeeM

This is what is shows under the "mentor" section of the website, pertaining to requirements:

• A mentor must be at least 18 years of age.
  • Volunteer Orientation is held monthly and is required for all mentors prior to their start date unless otherwise indicated.
  • All mentors are required to complete a volunteer application.
  • Lives are changed by relationships. It is our desire, in whatever capacity you chose to volunteer, is that you focus on building relationships, serving with our clients, never doing for them what they have the capacity to do for themselves and equipping instead of enabling.

I don't see any indication of discrimination there.

I suspect you were rejected by a single individual for personal reasons and not by the entire organization.

I would go to whomever heads up the program and ask for clarification, because what you have told us makes no sense whatsoever, and quite frankly, it seems highly unlikely that what the woman told you is anything near the truth.

Her story just doesn't ring true to me.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely not clear enough on their policy.  Makes for a lot of time and energy wasted.

This is what is shows under the "mentor" section of the website, pertaining to requirements:

• A mentor must be at least 18 years of age.
  • Volunteer Orientation is held monthly and is required for all mentors prior to their start date unless otherwise indicated.
  • All mentors are required to complete a volunteer application.
  • Lives are changed by relationships. It is our desire, in whatever capacity you chose to volunteer, is that you focus on building relationships, serving with our clients, never doing for them what they have the capacity to do for themselves and equipping instead of enabling.

I'm not so sure Aimee's been singled out personally.  There are preschools around here that are ministries of their associated Protestant churches and reject potential teachers who are not Protestant; a friend of mine was rejected because she was Catholic.  So I have seen it happen here, and at more than one organization. 

I suspect you were rejected by a single individual for personal reasons and not by the entire organization.

I would go to whomever heads up the program and ask for clarification, because what you have told us makes no sense whatsoever, and quite frankly, it seems highly unlikely that what the woman told you is anything near the truth.

I can ask, but she didn't seem to know herself until after she had submitted my information to the person above her. <---- that's kind of why I feel bad that I sent HER the letter. 

I'm so sorry that happened to you. I hope that your communications with them help them to see their errors--or at least the one error of not making that requirement explicit, even if they don't see that excluding Catholics and other non-Protestant Christians is wrong.

This is what I was thinking.  It is possible that this is one individual with a bias, acting alone and not representing the organization.  Please don't dump the whole thing until you discover if this is the case.  

I am a Protestant.  And I am deeply offended and disappointed on your behalf and I say send the darn letter!  Good grief!! Have they actually READ the Bible?  Wow.  Just Wow.  (But yeah, some of the letter modification suggestions up thread might net better results).  

Hugs and best wishes, Aimee.  You and your husband deserve better treatment and so do those kids.  You are perfect but you aren't the right kind of Christian?  Hogwash!

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I'm with you - 100%.  I hope your letter to the higher ups does something, Aimee.  It bothers me tremendously when Christians get exclusive - ESP when it isn't disclosed up front to volunteers.  The Bible tells us to follow Christ - period.

Kudos to you and your family for all you HAVE done though.  Don't let that go.  Change organizations if this one can't be fixed, but don't give up on  helping.  God will have the right door for you if it's not merely fixing this one.

I'm not so sure Aimee's been singled out personally.  There are preschools around here that are ministries of their associated Protestant churches and reject potential teachers who are not Protestant; a friend of mine was rejected because she was Catholic.  So I have seen it happen here, and at more than one organization. 

I've taught in three Protestant preschools (one southern baptist, two Methodist). We had at least one Catholic teaching at two of them. Not sure if the third did.

The preschool where my kids went is Protestant but accepted Catholic teachers, and I think most would be accepting, but not all are.

I've taught in three Protestant preschools (one southern baptist, two Methodist). We had at least one Catholic teaching at two of them. Not sure if the third did.

If they are running children's homes, they are almost certainly taking government money - I don't know if it would be federal money or not, but I would definitely check. If they get federal money, this doesn't sound legal. On two fronts, actually; they should not have discriminatory employee guidelines, and they should not be ministering a particular faith to their diverse clients.  

Also, everyone who is offended that they won't accept the "wrong kind of Christian," please take a moment and think about why it might also be offensive to reject anyone and everyone who is not Christian at all. 

This is not like a faith-based school or a church. It's not even like a mentoring-only program run by a church. Operating a children's home does not equate to restricting the children under your care to only your beliefs. 

Editing because I looked, and there does seem to be a fairly wide exemption for faith-based organizations on employee guidelines. I'm pretty sure I remember something about children's homes and foster organizations specifically, that relates to religion and not pushing certain beliefs, but I can't find it at the moment. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can chime in? 

I was wondering the same thing. Here the Southern Baptists run children's homes. They're clearly evangelical in mission. I have no idea how they get government money. There's a statement on their website that they're an "equal opportunity employer" and don't discriminate on age, sex, national origin, etc. but conveniently leave religion out of that.

If it's the organization I found when Googling a bit, they do have a doctrinal statement on their website, and it does sound to me like, while Christian, it does not jive with Catholic theology. 

Their employment page says "We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, the presence of a non-job-related medical condition or handicap, or any other legally protected status. "  Note the lack of religion in that list.  "Other legally protected status" is a bit disingenuous because religion is (I think) not a legally protected status for their organization.

The EEOC says:
Religious Organization Exception: Under Title VII, religious organizations are permitted to give employment preference to members of their own religion. The exception applies only to those institutions whose Ă¢â‚¬Å“purpose and character are primarily religious.Ă¢â‚¬ Factors to consider that would indicate whether an entity is religious include: whether its articles of incorporation state a religious purpose; whether its day-to-day operations are religious (e.g., are the services the entity performs, the product it produces, or the educational curriculum it provides directed toward propagation of the religion?); whether it is not-for-profit; and whether it affiliated with, or supported by, a church or other religious organization.

This exception is not limited to religious activities of the organization. However, it only allows religious organizations to prefer to employ individuals who share their religion. The exception does not allow religious organizations otherwise to discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. Thus, a religious organization is not permitted to engage in racially discriminatory hiring by asserting that a tenet of its religious beliefs is not associating with people of other races.

It is a shame, but in my experience the very presence of a statement of faith often is a sign that the organization is likely to discriminate on the basis of religion.  That's not surprising given the above guidelines, which encourage organizations that intend to discriminate to cover themselves legally by making it very clear that they are a religious organization.  I would prefer it if the organizations also had state that they reserve the right to discriminate on the basis of religion.  It would make it clear to everyone involved, rather than requiring that potential employees, donors, and volunteers have a high level of suspicion and nit-picky critical reading skills to discern the likelihood of such a policy.  

I think the religious organization exception is on the whole a good thing - it's part of America's freedom of religion which I think makes us a stronger nation.  But, frankly, if an organization is OK with exercising their right to have such a policy, they should not feel the need to hide it.

I went a bit further into their main website today (the one that runs control for the food bank, children's homes, rehab centers, and thrift store that they operate).

Even though the "mentoring" and volunteering section of the website says nothing about faith requirements, in the "purpose statement" of the Employee Handbook it says something like "entirely staffed by born again christians". I'm not sure what exactly that is, but...

So I do not think the higher up contacted is going to do anything but confirm, as this is in line with the reply from the woman I was talking with/interviewing with. I will just kindly ask that, in the future, when they are actively seeking volunteers, they FIRST steer them to the employee handbook, NOT the mentoring/volunteering section of the website?

No, I don't even think that's sufficient. An employee handbook is something people get AFTER they've been retained as an employee. This is something that should be up front in their "about us" information and in their employment/volunteer section. This kind of thing is something people should know before they donate time or money. To not include it is very disingenuous, IMO.

I do see the Doctrinal Statement. I guess I didn't pay it attention because many places here have them, but that doesn't generally mean they are "exclusive" ... and the request for mentors said nothing about "protestant christian" specifically.

If it's the organization I found when Googling a bit, they do have a doctrinal statement on their website, and it does sound to me like, while Christian, it does not jive with Catholic theology. 

Their employment page says "We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, the presence of a non-job-related medical condition or handicap, or any other legally protected status. "  Note the lack of religion in that list.  "Other legally protected status" is a bit disingenuous because religion is (I think) not a legally protected status for their organization.

The EEOC says:
Religious Organization Exception: Under Title VII, religious organizations are permitted to give employment preference to members of their own religion. The exception applies only to those institutions whose Ă¢â‚¬Å“purpose and character are primarily religious.Ă¢â‚¬ Factors to consider that would indicate whether an entity is religious include: whether its articles of incorporation state a religious purpose; whether its day-to-day operations are religious (e.g., are the services the entity performs, the product it produces, or the educational curriculum it provides directed toward propagation of the religion?); whether it is not-for-profit; and whether it affiliated with, or supported by, a church or other religious organization.

This exception is not limited to religious activities of the organization. However, it only allows religious organizations to prefer to employ individuals who share their religion. The exception does not allow religious organizations otherwise to discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. Thus, a religious organization is not permitted to engage in racially discriminatory hiring by asserting that a tenet of its religious beliefs is not associating with people of other races.

It is a shame, but in my experience the very presence of a statement of faith often is a sign that the organization is likely to discriminate on the basis of religion.  That's not surprising given the above guidelines, which encourage organizations that intend to discriminate to cover themselves legally by making it very clear that they are a religious organization.  I would prefer it if the organizations also had state that they reserve the right to discriminate on the basis of religion.  It would make it clear to everyone involved, rather than requiring that potential employees, donors, and volunteers have a high level of suspicion and nit-picky critical reading skills to discern the likelihood of such a policy.  

I think the religious organization exception is on the whole a good thing - it's part of America's freedom of religion which I think makes us a stronger nation.  But, frankly, if an organization is OK with exercising their right to have such a policy, they should not feel the need to hide it.

I will just kindly ask that, in the future, when they are actively seeking volunteers, they FIRST steer them to the employee handbook, NOT the mentoring/volunteering section of the website?

I think it needs to be right there on the Volunteer page, along with the age restrictions.  And it needs to be on the very first page about Employment, too.  Otherwise they are wasting people's time.

I think it's their right to have that practice, but terrible not to disclose it up front.

I have absolutely zero problem with them HAVING the policy. I have a rather bigger problem with them being so terribly vague about it on their website, and saying absolutely nothing about it until you're eyeball deep in the "I'm so excited this is going to happen" portion of the mentoring interviews.

I think it needs to be right there on the Volunteer page, along with the age restrictions.  And it needs to be on the very first page about Employment, too.  Otherwise they are wasting people's time.

Agreed. I notice that it says it if you click on the employment qualifications that you must agree with the statement of faith. There is a different application, however, for volunteers, and I'm not sure what it says (it looks like a 5 step application) - I was never asked to fill one out. I assume if I had made it past the interviewing phase of the process, I may have been asked to, and I wonder if the volunteer application states something similar to the employee qualifications (but again, the qualifications for employment are spelled out on the employee page, and it says nothing of the sort - about the doctrinal statement - under the qualifications for mentoring.

This, plus putting it clearly on their donations page so that potential donors know that they wouldn't be personally welcome to volunteer. Sure that will reduce their donations, but people should know that information before they write a check.

Agreed. I notice that it says it if you click on the employment qualifications that you must sign the statement of faith. There is a different application, however, for volunteers, and I'm not sure what it says (it looks like a 5 step application) - I was never asked to fill one out. I assume if I had made it past the interviewing phase of the process, I may have been asked to, and I wonder if the volunteer application states something similar to the employee qualifications (but again, the qualifications for employment are spelled out on the employee page, and it says nothing of the sort - about the doctrinal statement - under the qualifications for mentoring.

They also require (for employees) that you be "an active participant in, and in good standing with, a local Protestant church."  So yes, they do seem to clearly rule out Catholics across the board.  And when your interviewer asked what church you belonged to, she wasn't just being friendly.  :-(

Sometimes I think people hyper-focus on minor details and completely, utterly, miss the big picture.  

They also require (for employees) that you be "an active participant in, and in good standing with, a local Protestant church."  So yes, they do seem to clearly rule out Catholics across the board.  And when your interviewer asked what church you belonged to, she wasn't just being friendly.  :-(

Sometimes I think people hyper-focus on minor details and completely, utterly, miss the big picture.  

I see that now. I guess I didn't consider it "employment", as they have an entirely separate set of pages for volunteers (and a different application process). I didn't even consider looking at the employment pages.

A woman reached out to some members of a local homeschool board I belong to. They needed mentors, for a Christian organization locally that runs several children's homes. 

I just re-read your original post.  It might also be worth mentioning the kerfuffle to this woman, who reached out seeking volunteers.  If they were looking for only Protestant, church-going mentors, they should have mentioned that up-front, before you even clicked on the web site link.  And you might want to clarify for the homeschool board; there may be others like you who have been or will soon be in the same boat and you may be able to save them some grief.

I strongly believe the organization has a legal and moral right to discriminate in this way.  I also believe they, morally if not legally, need to be way, way more open and up-front about doing so.  

This is so terrible! I feel like they're not putting the kids first.

(Sort of ot...Not all protestant churches meet the born again criteria and I've known Catholics who've had born again experiences and stayed Catholic.)

I hope they change their policy so that the kids have the best mentors possible!

Edited for clarity, hopefully...

I just re-read your original post.  It might also be worth mentioning the kerfuffle to this woman, who reached out seeking volunteers.  If they were looking for only Protestant, church-going mentors, they should have mentioned that up-front, before you even clicked on the web site link.  And you might want to clarify for the homeschool board; there may be others like you who have been or will soon be in the same boat and you may be able to save them some grief.

I strongly believe the organization has a legal and moral right to discriminate in this way.  I also believe they, morally if not legally, need to be way, way more open and up-front about doing so.  

The woman who reached out is the one I was corresponding with via e-mail, so she is already aware.

I honestly didn't even click on the org's website until... late last night? After the kerfuffle :) She reached out via our local facebook homeschool group, didn't say anything about needing protestant volunteers (honestly, I do not even recall if she asked for "Christian" Mentors - I just happened to already know that the organization was a Christian one; I know for a fact she didn't ask for protestant, because I would have automatically discounted myself). It was never requested that I look at a doctrinal statement, or the website, and I hadn't yet been asked to fill out a volunteer application. The next step (I guess these were the "vetting" stages?) was to meet with the head of volunteers of the girl's home in person and sign off on a background check.

Not all protestant churches meet the born again criteria and I've known Catholics who've had born again experiences and stayed Catholic.

I hope they change their policy so that the kids have the best mentors possible!

Yeah... I was curious about the born again thing. I'm not totally hip on it, certainly, but I have many protestant friends, and none refer to themselves as born again. One portion of the employment requirements requires attendance at a protestant church, and another portion specifies that it is staffed by born again christians. I know, for example, that my children's Episcopalian Godmother doesn't consider herself born again, but her church is considered protestant. The former Lutheran pastor next door has never once referred to himself as born again, but is obviously protestant.

Not all protestant churches meet the born again criteria and I've known Catholics who've had born again experiences and stayed Catholic.

Well, putting the kids first wouldn't require any religious affiliation would it? As long as the volunteer isn't a sociopath or looking for dates, what the kid needs is someone to pay attention to them, right? This policy isn't about the kids at all.

Well, putting the kids first wouldn't require any religious affiliation would it? As long as the volunteer isn't a sociopath or looking for dates, what the kid needs is someone to pay attention to them, right? This policy isn't about the kids at all.

Exactly!

(I edited my other post because this is what I meant)

While I do think the organization has the right to make such a policy I totally agree that they should make it absolutely clear (both for people who plan to volunteer and for those considering donations) what the policy is. And I really don't think the policy makes sense - there are so many different protestant denominations and they do not necessarily have much in common. I would say Episcopalians for example are much closer to Catholics than to some pentecostal groups.

Anyway, while they can make any policy they like I personally wouldn't want to donate there.

Agreed. I notice that it says it if you click on the employment qualifications that you must agree with the statement of faith. There is a different application, however, for volunteers, and I'm not sure what it says (it looks like a 5 step application) - I was never asked to fill one out. I assume if I had made it past the interviewing phase of the process, I may have been asked to, and I wonder if the volunteer application states something similar to the employee qualifications (but again, the qualifications for employment are spelled out on the employee page, and it says nothing of the sort - about the doctrinal statement - under the qualifications for mentoring.

Aimee, forgive me, but in some of your more recent posts it sounds like you're starting to blame yourself for not noticing their requirement. Please don't do that to yourself.

I think the blame rests with the organization. It's up to them to make it clear what ALL of the requirements are in direct, unambiguous language BEFORE they start putting people through the process.

You responded to a need and were offering to give of yourself to this organization. You were being kind and generous. I'm sorry you were treated this way (said as another "not the right kind" of Christian).

:glare: I don't know about your area, but around here "homeschooling" would be assumed to be protestant Christian, politically conservative & Rebublican.

Add in 'young earth believing' and 'Creation Museum adoring' and you have my town.

Must the orphans be Protestant as well?  How are they placed?

Mission Statement:

[The organization] exists that persons most in need receive food, shelter, and compassion,

while hearing the gospel of Jesus Christ

and becoming productive members of society.

Purpose Statement:
[The organization] intends to accomplish its mission by

Imparting a unique blend of social assistance

in a distinctive 

Evangelical Christian framework,

[the organization's ] born 

again staff

will share Christ with everyone served

and serve 

everyone fairly, regardless of spiritual decisions.

A foster parent for [the organization ] must:

1) be a born-again believer in the Lord Jesus Christ as expressed by a personal testimony and Christian conduct;

2) be in agreement without reservation with the doctrinal statement of [the organization];

3) be an active participant in, and in good standing with, a Protestant church;

4) have a genuine concern for the spiritual welfare of children entrusted to their care;

5) have a lifestyle that is free of sexual sin (to include pornographic materials, homosexuality, and extramarital 

relationships);

6) abstain from activities or addictions that have a detrimental effect on clients including: 

undiscerning choices related to literature and entertainment; excessive or imprudent use of alcohol; use of 
illegal drugs; abuse of prescription medications; and the use of tobacco in the presence of foster children and 
inside the foster home or foster parentĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s vehicle. 

It seems that the orphans need not be born-again Protestant Christians at the outset, but that the organization is working hard to encourage them to be such eventually.  Which should not be surprising; this is clearly a missionary organization with a focus on a very specific type of Christianity.  Sadly, they did not make that clear to potential volunteers or donors.  

It is a shame that an organization that does a lot of work helping those in need did not do a good job of communicating the missionary nature of their work to the community.

Aimee, forgive me, but in some of your more recent posts it sounds like you're starting to blame yourself for not noticing their requirement. Please don't do that to yourself.

I think the blame rests with the organization. It's up to them to make it clear what ALL of the requirements are in direct, unambiguous language BEFORE they start putting people through the process.

You responded to a need and were offering to give of yourself to this organization. You were being kind and generous. I'm sorry you were treated this way (said as another "not the right kind" of Christian).

I completely agree.  Completely.  COMPLETELY.  

OP, you've done nothing wrong, and everything right.

I'm so sorry that this happened to you.  You are a good person (as is your hubby).  I hope you will find another outlet for your sweet and giving nature.  The world needs more folks like you.   :grouphug:

I guess I do wonder if I shouldn't have looked more closely at their website. It didn't even occur to me to do so. It's well known organization in the area (really, one of a kind in the area) that we've been (financially) involved in for many years - it didn't occur to look until I did recently, and then I just didn't even consider looking beyond the volunteer page. I do blame myself that I wasn't astute enough to consider that volunteers may be considered employees, and/or that they would have such requirements for a volunteer. 

Looking more closely at the website, I am assuming that these children are no longer "wards of the state" - I believe the mission/church/whatever are their guardians - otherwise I can't imagine it would be legal for them to have the faith requirements for foster parents that they have. It's starting to make more sense to me, I've just never really been in a position where faith was THAT big of a deal, unless the employee/volunteer was directly responsible for imparting religious ed in some capacity... and I was not under the impression that mentoring was doing that. 

Guess I know now. 

I guess I do wonder if I shouldn't have looked more closely at their website. It didn't even occur to me to do so. It's well known organization in the area (really, one of a kind in the area) that we've been (financially) involved in for many years - it didn't occur to look until I did recently, and then I just didn't even consider looking beyond the volunteer page. I do blame myself that I wasn't astute enough to consider that volunteers may be considered employees, and/or that they would have such requirements for a volunteer. 

Looking more closely at the website, I am assuming that these children are no longer "wards of the state" - I believe the mission/church/whatever are their guardians - otherwise I can't imagine it would be legal for them to have the faith requirements for foster parents that they have. It's starting to make more sense to me, I've just never really been in a position where faith was THAT big of a deal, unless the employee/volunteer was directly responsible for imparting religious ed in some capacity... and I was not under the impression that mentoring was doing that. 

Guess I know now.

Stop blaming yourself! They asked for volunteers and you stepped up to the plate. If they had specific religious requirements, they should have mentioned it immediately.

They totally dropped the ball on this one. You were trying to do something nice.

Maybe you should send them an email requesting a refund of the donations you have made to their organization. You can tell them that you knew nothing of their religious affiliation at the time, but now that you do, you would prefer to get your money back so you can use it to help some nice Catholic orphans instead. ;)

Maybe you should send them an email requesting a refund of the donations you have made to their organization. You can tell them that you knew nothing of their religious affiliation at the time, but now that you do, you would prefer to get your money back so you can use it to help some nice Catholic orphans instead. ;)

Really! I'd include that I'm very sorry, but [Organization] simply is not the right type of Christian for my family to financially support.

Yes, IRL I am terribly sarcastic. I do, however, manage to keep it under wraps...mostly.

Don't tempt Tony too much. He's fuming. I'm sad - he's downright angry.

I am assuming that these children are no longer "wards of the state" - I believe the mission/church/whatever are their guardians

What I'm scratching my head over is how this process happens (sorry if this is really a S/O).  I don't know anything about how orphanages or the foster system works, but it seems bizarre to me that private organizations can become guardians of children.  If, God forbid, a Catholic family died in a car crash, leaving a young child behind with no other family, might that child end up in this orphanage?