Menu

Jessa Duggar & Ben Seewald are Married

Crimson Wife

Posting the link rather than the photo itself to keep SWB from getting sued: http://www.inquisitr.com/1577348/jessa-duggar-wedding-news-the-dress-first-kiss-and-baby-on-the-way/

I hope they are happy together because their courtship seemed so awkward. I hope for their sake it was just a factor of the circumstances rather than incompatibility as a couple.

Is it just me, or have the girls' clothes started getting less-extremely modest? Her dress, for instance, looks completely normal, but I don't think they used to reveal so much arm and chest. I am not a huge follower of the show, so I could certainly be wrong.

In the last several years, they became more stylish-modest, presumably under Jessa and Jinger's direction. Jessa herself called it "modern-modest."

I saw a close up of the dress. I love the blush, almost dark champagne color. I thought that with her natural coloring it was very, very flattering...much more so than white.

I thought that two things were weird. One was that the pastor is reported to have spoken for several minutes about their decision to not kiss in the ceremony and keep that private. Why? If they don't want to kiss in front of everyone, why make a production of it? The second was that he then had the Michelle and Jim Bob demonstrate "kissing". Well, just ugh. I don't think anyone really wanted to see that.

She looked beautiful; they looked reasonably happy. I wish them well. No, I don't really want to hear about "future baby making plans", but they are a reality t.v. show celebrity family so I am sure we will be regaled again with information that should be kept private to them. I wonder if their desire to not kiss at the ceremony was a small attempt at making a statement about not wanting to "live it all out there" for the public. If so, I hope they will find ways to break with mum and dad and stand up for themselves, keeping more of their family business to themselves.

Still shaking my head at that supposed need for a demonstration by the Duggar parents. Good golly they seem determined to always steel the limelight!

Kudos for choosing ice cream and brownies. That would be my kind of reception because I am no lover of cake either. Again, love the dress she chose. It really complimented her so very well. Not certain about his bow tie! LOL

Best wishes Jessa and Ben.

I hope they are very happy.

I like that it appears that they chose what they wanted….not a white dress, different reception food, etc.

I do, however, worry about people who have never even kissed before they marry.  I know it is common in some cultures, but there is something for chemistry.  Not everybody you're attracted to will you have sexual chemistry with.  I do think you can tell a lot from just kissing, though.  I guess for my kids, I would hope that they kissed (and enjoyed kissing) their future spouses before making that decision.  Even cute boys can be bad kissers. ;)

Y'know, I rather applaud them for keeping that kiss for private.  I don't have a feeling one way or the other about saving kissing for marriage; I think it could be perfectly appropriate for a serious couple to kiss before marriage (I don't say the same for tEa; that belongs in marriage only IMO), but having decided that they wanted to save that kiss for marriage, I think it's very lovely that they also wanted to do that privately.  I remember feeling a lot of pressure to make sure that kiss at the altar went well -- not too long, not too quick, nothing awkward.  We'd kissed plenty of times before the wedding, but up in front of everyone, nervous, excited, emotional, all of that, plus my DH is a foot taller than I am, and awkward sometimes happens, LOL (and I had a floor-length gown and nearly tripped and fell down when getting up from kneeling during the communion -- thankfully, DH understood what had happened and steadied my arm so that I didn't fall and nobody noticed, but I was still shaky from that).  Our kiss went off nicely, but I also remember that once we were back down the aisle and standing alone before the rest of the wedding party came out, we had a much-less-pressure hug and kiss since we were by ourselves.  I think it's nice that Jessa and Ben wanted that for themselves and made sure it happened.

That article was weird and unnecessarily snarky.  Maybe they chose not to consummate their marriage on their wedding night.  Just because most people who wait for marriage before brewing tEa choose to drink it that night doesn't mean J&B needed to.  That's their business if they choose to take things a little slower.

I hope they are very happy.

I like that it appears that they chose what they wanted….not a white dress, different reception food, etc.

I do, however, worry about people who have never even kissed before they marry.  I know it is common in some cultures, but there is something for chemistry.  Not everybody you're attracted to will you have sexual chemistry with.  I do think you can tell a lot from just kissing, though.  I guess for my kids, I would hope that they kissed (and enjoyed kissing) their future spouses before making that decision.  Even cute boys can be bad kissers. ;)

Yeah, it reminds me of a quote I read in an otherwise appalling book--from pretty much any standpoint, Christian, humanist, feminist, or otherwise. (The book is "How to Be a Man", which you should never read, unless you find your son reading it, in which case, read it just to have something to answer when he starts spitting some of that drivel out. Dude should have stuck to writing about fashion.)

However, he said one intelligent thing, which was that sex is about compatibility, not about skill or talent. That's why it's called a "sexual relationship" and not a "sexual competition".

Sometimes, people just aren't compatible. It doesn't even mean either one is a bad kisser. I just think the makeup for those two individuals doesn't match and if you're building a marriage on love and free will I'd strongly suggest having compatibility for a backdrop.

It's one thing if you're living in a tribe in the middle of nowhere and are basically marrying your cousin. But modern society has diverse genetics, eating habits, etc. etc. and if you're going to build a family it sure makes it nicer if you're on the same page on most things.

I do wish them all the best. :)

That article was weird and unnecessarily snarky.  Maybe they chose not to consummate their marriage on their wedding night.  Just because most people who wait for marriage before brewing tEa choose to drink it that night doesn't mean J&B needed to.  That's their business if they choose to take things a little slower.

Agreed!

There's nothing sacred about doing it The Night of the of a stressful event. It might be better for a couple to ease into it a bit more cautiously. AS long as they are happy about it, it is NO ONE ElSE's business. (And yes I know, historically, they did the whole flashing the blood stained sheets thing. Yuck!)

We watch the show here and there and have been following the last season and current one.  I don't know...not my business but my daughters and I think Ben is pretty dorky and not too smart.  I don't understand how Jim Bob would think Ben can provide for his daughter when he moved this young guy onto their property and gave him a job (taking care of their property).  He just doesn't seem ready for marriage.  She does light up around him, but corrects him quite a bit too because what comes out of his mouth is just...not too bright.  They seem awkward and maybe that's just because it's hard to be on TV with your relationship.  I wish the best for them but I also think a year isn't long enough, especially when they've never been able to be alone.  Anyone can be on their best behavior around a group of people for that short of a time.  I don't think their version of courtship allows for really getting to know who a person is in all situations. 

I don't follow the Duggars, but I am curious about something. Did any of the married kids court more than one person (before they were married  :laugh:), or did they marry the first person they courted? I know courting isn't like casual dating, so I wouldn't expect to see a whole string of people, but I was wondering if there was a courtship that didn't work out. What about other courtship couples people might know. Do they often court several people, or is it more likely that they will marry the first or second person (if they marry)?

I think for the Duggars, since so many people are watching them, it would be hard to have this big build up to finally courting and then have the nerve to call it off in front of everyone. 

I can't imagine marrying someone I had not kissed. I kissed a fair number of guys in college. I felt nothing with many of them, instant fireworks with others. I agree that it is about compatibility rather than skill to some degree. But...some guys really are good kissers where a whole bunch of girls will agree.

Most of the speculation I hear is that Jana found someone she was interested in but Jim Bob wouldn't approve a courtship.  This speculation was based primarily on her second stint at Journey to the Heart, where she fessed up that she was harboring some negative feelings towards someone in her family. She was noticeably more withdrawn after that. 

I don't think there was a failed courtship between Jana and Zach Bates. He did have a failed courtship but it wasn't with Jana. However, it might have been that she wanted a courtship with Zach and became upset when she asked  to court Sarah Reith in 2011. That fits fairly well the timeline of her second Journey trip and her pronounced demeanor being more downtrodden than it once was.   But I really think that it's more likely that Jana became interested in someone that Jim Bob didn't approve of. 

I'll be interested in watching Jim Bob interrogate Ben about how he's going to provide for Jessa. He quizzed Derick and he has a college degree and a full time job. So it should be interesting to see how he handles Ben- who has no outside employment or higher education.  

I was pleased to see Jill and Jessa have such different weddings- each seemed to plan something that was what THEY wanted and that is nice. Every girl should have a nice wedding day, whether it's a fancy wedding or a simple family ceremony. 

I'll be interested in watching Jim Bob interrogate Ben about how he's going to provide for Jessa. He quizzed Derick and he has a college degree and a full time job. So it should be interesting to see how he handles Ben- who has no outside employment or higher education.  

I don't have access to TLC (except years-old episodes) so who can explain that to me?  Assuming both spouses have some money set aside from... I don't know, do the Duggar kids get paid for TV?... wherever..., they got married, set up house, and now how much can they really have left over at that age? Does free food show up at their door? Parents paying the electric bill?

I know the Duggars have excellent financial management skills, but that's why I find it hard to believe everyone's okay with two unemployed (well, minus the TV stuff) people getting married and striking out "on their own". Is the TLC deal really THAT good?

It's possible the adult children receive their own payment from TLC for filming.  In addition, Jill and Jessa have done interviews for People (and probably other media outlets) and since they're adults, they probably have income from those.  The four older girls wrote a book so are probably sharing the royalties from that.   As far as Ben,  I don't know if he has his own income. He was shown moving onto the Duggar compound and working for Jim Bob but there's been no indication whether that's a temporary or permanent position. 

Jill and Derick live in a house Jim Bob owns. And Derick has full time employment.  So they're probably doing fine. 

Haven't heard where Jessa and Ben are living now.   Jim Bob owns other rentals so he might have set them up in a home.  

The girls were raised to be thrifty so I'm sure Jessa and Ben will be fine.  If he doesn't work for Jim Bob he'll find something to do to support them. And there will be more TLC money coming. 

Personally, I find the whole thing abnormal, controlling and rather sick. Those poor girls. And what about the boys? Are the rules the same? At what point do Mommy and Daddy stop telling you how to run your life?

I don't follow the Duggars, but I am curious about something. Did any of the married kids court more than one person (before they were married  :laugh:), or did they marry the first person they courted? I know courting isn't like casual dating, so I wouldn't expect to see a whole string of people, but I was wondering if there was a courtship that didn't work out. What about other courtship couples people might know. Do they often court several people, or is it more likely that they will marry the first or second person (if they marry)?

I think for the Duggars, since so many people are watching them, it would be hard to have this big build up to finally courting and then have the nerve to call it off in front of everyone. 

I know one family where the daughter called it quits on a courting.

I didn't court. But I ended up married to the first person I "dated"  Don't regret it one bit.

We watch the show here and there and have been following the last season and current one.  I don't know...not my business but my daughters and I think Ben is pretty dorky and not too smart.  I don't understand how Jim Bob would think Ben can provide for his daughter when he moved this young guy onto their property and gave him a job (taking care of their property).  He just doesn't seem ready for marriage.  She does light up around him, but corrects him quite a bit too because what comes out of his mouth is just...not too bright.  They seem awkward and maybe that's just because it's hard to be on TV with your relationship.  I wish the best for them but I also think a year isn't long enough, especially when they've never been able to be alone.  Anyone can be on their best behavior around a group of people for that short of a time.  I don't think their version of courtship allows for really getting to know who a person is in all situations. 

I watched a few episodes when visiting family recently, and except for the similar religious views, I can't understand why Jim Bob encouraged the courtship. Ben seems very young and very immature to me, especially compared to Jill's husband. But they do seem very attracted to each other, and I wish them all the best.

I have heard rumors of a "failed" courtship among one of the older girls, I think the oldest or maybe Jinger? They have only ever spoken about the ones who have gotten married, and they all married their first… partner? I don't know the right term lol.

I did that and it was a HUGE MISTAKE. Huge. I had no character judgment. I'd kissed boys I could count on one hand and nothing else. I was frustrated but didn't even know it (though I knew what frustration was, I didn't realize that was a feeling I, a respectable woman, could have... for some reason I assumed that I was above all that), and he was a charmer. Ugh.

Though, these girls have their parents vetting, which, while it may seem creepy, is at least positive in that they don't need a lot of experience themselves, since mom and dad have experience.

I'm assuming the parents will have better judgment in this sphere than many of us youngsters did. Not that I agree with that approach, but to each family their own. Any of these kids could run away to make a point but I think they can see that the world is full of pain and learning and hard work, and that maybe the Duggar brand isn't worse than any other.

My understanding is that legally, TCL must pay the over 18's directly not to JimBob' s hands. So the older kids probably do have money set aside though if the girls adhere strictly to the ATI and VF prescription for females, they have to have daddy's name on the accounts and his permission to spend any of it.