Menu

Could I have baby name help?

Pamela H in Texas

So after the last three months; but especially today's caseworker visit, I'm feeling okay with asking for baby name help. Obviously, anything could happen in fostercare, but I'm really to go with it and hope my heart doesn't get broken (again).

I'm just about positive the baby's first name will be Benjamin. We've been trying for a Benjamin for 22 years!

Other Kids' names:

Kimberly Michelle

Johnathan Wayne

Victoria Evelyn

Addison Jeremiah (but may be changing to Jeremiah Dale) - called AJ or Jeremiah

Caden Anthony - Called Tony or Anthony

Baby is strawberry blonde (both bio parents are). He's a big boy, wearing size 6-9 months old at 3 months old. He's sweet as all get out. Pretty quiet, not particularly needy or emotional.

I like Josiah or Nathaniel, hubby doesn't.

We thought about Michael for a middle name, but I have a bit of a block for that name. It is hubby's preferred name though.

Elliot made a short list of names.

Hubby also doesn't like Mason or Mateo <sigh>

We actually USE middle names. Either interchangably or using full names (even when not in trouble).

I need some ideas, I think :)

BTW, if you think another first name would go great with my crew, I'm still a little bit open...I just really am into Benjamin and he seems like one to me. But then I still need a middle name we can agree upon.

Here is a pic of a kid that looks similar :) Baby-Boy-Face-Close-Up-Smile-HD-Wallpape

I would personally go with a shortish middle name in conjunction with a 3 syllable first name like Benjamin. Josiah, Nathaniel, and Elliott are all nice names but too much of a mouthful in conjunction with Benjamin IMHO.

My DS has a long first name and his middle name is Karl. I would've preferred to spell it Carl but DH liked the Germanic/Nordic spelling with the K.

Snicker, the adoptive parents can change part or all of the child's name if they choose. There are different beliefs about it.

With our three, we kept the name they had been called as part of their names though none are currently called those names. With my 7yo, he has always maintained he didn't wish to keep his birth name and we have explored the possibility of a name change so he would have grandpa's middle name.

With the baby, he has a perfectly fine name but he is a junior. I'm just not willing to keep that name. Also, we have had him since he was two days old with a high chance of adopting him all along. We do use his name though we use a pet name more. Well and frankly, I'm not against adoptive parents choosing names for their kids.

Anyway, soooo....

Oh, and part of the reason for thinking a longer middle name is that our last name is one hard syllable (German). Think CHOP. Of course, Wayne and Dale are both short names so a shorter name may be a choice.

How about  a compromise on the Michael : Benjamin Misha

Misha would be lovely for a solid, mellow boy.

or Benjamin Bradley - then he could be BB

No middle names starting with a J after a first name with B

Also, dh advises against middle names starting with B. He has one (mother's maiden name) and when it's all printed out all he can think of always is "jack be nimble, jack be swift.."

Even with a 1-syllable last name I'd go with a 1 or 2 syllable middle with Benjamin. My birth name was 3-1-1 and it works. My mom always insisted that full names need an odd # of syllables to sound right :)

Some middle names I'd pair with Benjamin: Aaron, Ryan, Lee, Allen, Thomas

So after the last three months; but especially today's caseworker visit, I'm feeling okay with asking for baby name help. Obviously, anything could happen in fostercare, but I'm really to go with it and hope my heart doesn't get broken (again).

I'm just about positive the baby's first name will be Benjamin. We've been trying for a Benjamin for 22 years!

Other Kids' names:

Kimberly Michelle

Johnathan Wayne

Victoria Evelyn

Addison Jeremiah (but may be changing to Jeremiah Dale) - called AJ or Jeremiah

Caden Anthony - Called Tony or Anthony

Baby is strawberry blonde (both bio parents are). He's a big boy, wearing size 6-9 months old at 3 months old. He's sweet as all get out. Pretty quiet, not particularly needy or emotional.

I like Josiah or Nathaniel, hubby doesn't.

We thought about Michael for a middle name, but I have a bit of a block for that name. It is hubby's preferred name though.

Elliot made a short list of names.

Hubby also doesn't like Mason or Mateo <sigh>

We actually USE middle names. Either interchangably or using full names (even when not in trouble).

I need some ideas, I think :)

BTW, if you think another first name would go great with my crew, I'm still a little bit open...I just really am into Benjamin and he seems like one to me. But then I still need a middle name we can agree upon.

Here is a pic of a kid that looks similar :) Baby-Boy-Face-Close-Up-Smile-HD-Wallpape

He is incredible!

How about Joseph or Matthew?

I like a 2-syllable middle name with a 3-syllable first name and a 1-syllable last name. I like several that have been mentioned:

Benjamin David

Benjamin Matthew

Benjamin Joseph

I think I like pairing the biblical names. I wouldn't put a modern trendy name with Benjamin.

Benjamin David is growing on me.

ETA:

David is my brother's name.  We aren't close at all.  I have his wife FB friended and I like his daughter (have only seen his son twice, I think).  But there isn't animosity or anything.  Just not close due to circumstances along the way.  

His son's name is Lucas so I probably wouldn't go that direction.   

How about  a compromise on the Michael : Benjamin Misha

Misha would be lovely for a solid, mellow boy.

or Benjamin Bradley - then he could be BB

No middle names starting with a J after a first name with B

Also, dh advises against middle names starting with B. He has one (mother's maiden name) and when it's all printed out all he can think of always is "jack be nimble, jack be swift.."

haha laughing at the bolded, that is my cousin's name (my maiden name was Bradley).  It is a very good name he was called Benjalin forever due to my little brother not being able to say his name as a toddler. Now he just goes by Ben.

This morning, definitely still thinking David or Thomas.  A friend brought up the lack of meaning with Thomas.  Though that is true (it means "twin"), there still is the Biblical significance (friend is not Christian) as well as the fact that it is a strong man's name.  I kinda think Thomas flows better.  But David is very strong and meaningful.  

But a few names are sticking with me.  Andrew is one.  James is another. I still like Elliot but then it is three syllables again.  

Ryan is another one that keeps jumping out at me.  It is my youngest brother's name.  A few years ago, I don't think I would have considered it, but I think it flows well. 

I do think I prefer two syllables in general over one. 

So list right now:

Benjamin Thomas

Benjamin David 

Benjamin Andrew

Benjamin James

Benjamin Elliot

Benjamin Ryan

I *love* how Benjamin David looks with our last name. A friend wrote it out in text last night and I immediately was taken with it.  Andrew and James look nice above.  I like Ryan least in terms of how it looks typed out.

This morning, definitely still thinking David or Thomas.  A friend brought up the lack of meaning with Thomas.  Though that is true (it means "twin"), there still is the Biblical significance (friend is not Christian) as well as the fact that it is a strong man's name.  I kinda think Thomas flows better.  But David is very strong and meaningful.  

But a few names are sticking with me.  Andrew is one.  James is another. I still like Elliot but then it is three syllables again.  

Ryan is another one that keeps jumping out at me.  It is my youngest brother's name.  A few years ago, I don't think I would have considered it, but I think it flows well. 

I do think I prefer two syllables in general over one. 

So list right now:

Benjamin Thomas

Benjamin David 

Benjamin Andrew

Benjamin James

Benjamin Elliot

Benjamin Ryan

I *love* how Benjamin David looks with our last name. A friend wrote it out in text last night and I immediately was taken with it.  Andrew and James look nice above.  I like Ryan least in terms of how it looks typed out.

Funny seeing Ryan up there too, that is my brother's name, the one that always called my cousin benjalin. lol  Every THomas I have ever known has been a whiney wimp, it's weird but I have known 5-6 over my lifetime and every single one was the same.  I like Benjamin Elliot (though I am also partial to Andrew as that is ds11's middle name :P )

• 4 weeks later...

I think that is good advice.  I seriously doubt any of the names we're considering would go against that though :)  Only way someone wouldn't hire a man named Benjamin would be if they individually had some major hang up with the name.  

Or to cut down on ink costs.  Think how much cheaper it would be if every name on every memo and performance review and payroll stub was only 3 letters long.  They could have a whole office full of Roys and Amys and Ians.  Benjamin would have to promise that he would always go by Ben if he wanted to work there.   :lol:

Wendy