Menu

any good Christmas finds?

JustEm

I love sharing/hearing about the awesome deals people can find on Christmas gifts and was wondering if anyone had found any yet. I'm usually done my shopping by now but havent really spent much time thinking about it till recently. My scores so far...

-unopened Lego police set usually $20, found for $3 at Goodwill

-hape quadrilla wooden marble run usually $200 new, found at Goodwill for $8. Missing 5 pieces but I can replace those for about 20

-Lego Cinderella castle, $60 new, purchased last night for free on amazon using the gift card they gave me for signing up for their credit card.

For my kids all I need now is to find a good deal on a high quality tumbling mat and they're done!

What have you gotten?

Wow. Has Goodwill changed their policy on toys? Ours doesn't accept any as donations, or sell any, claiming that they can't sort out the lead containing products from the safe ones. They won't even take a board game.

I think it depends on the goodwill. None in my state have that policy but my sister lives in Alabama and the one in her ton does have that policy

I have most of my Christmas shopping done for my kids.  However, my youngest daughter is 6 and all she wants is "science stuff".... lol!  Easy enough, right?  I've found kits and science supplies to set up her own little "science station".  Each of my other kids are getting a box of new books and I am going to put together a box of science books for McKenzee... but I'm not sure what to get for her.  We already have tons of books ... I hope to find a whole set on a whole bunch of different science topics.  Stilll looking though...

Well I've started dmil's gift (crocheted lapghan), have the material to make dd2 a stuffed elephant and owl other then that nothing. I'm still trying to figure out what to get for dd1's 6th birthday at the end of November. I want to make some clothes for her AG doll and I know she wants more Legos and Frozen stuff (trying to cut down on "stuff", with dd2 now here, we don't have room for more "stuff").

Gah I picked the worst times to have my kids, dd1 end of November, dh is the middle of December and dd2 is the end of January.

Well I've started dmil's gift (crocheted lapghan), have the material to make dd2 a stuffed elephant and owl other then that nothing. I'm still trying to figure out what to get for dd1's 6th birthday at the end of November. I want to make some clothes for her AG doll and I know she wants more Legos and Frozen stuff (trying to cut down on "stuff", with dd2 now here, we don't have room for more "stuff").

Gah I picked the worst times to have my kids, dd1 end of November, dh is the middle of December and dd2 is the end of January.

I understand this!  My 3 oldest kids have bdays January 3, January 30 and February 6... lol!! 

The marble run is actually for my son's birthday on December 19th.  The tumbling mat will be for everyone but it will mainly be for him because he wants/needs it to practice his acrobatics safely at home. My youngest isn't even 2 yet so he's just getting things that are in storage from the other 2 that he has never seen before wrapped up.

I understand about worst timing.  One is at the end of December, one the beginning of January, and I'm due with my 4th at the beginning of Feb but since its a c/section it'll likely be end of January.

Nice!  I wish it was that easy for teens. Yikes, teen 'toys' are expensive.

I decided that older nieces and nephews just get $20 from us now. Its either too expensive or too hard to shop for them.  I'm happy not to be in those years with my own kids for a very long time!

I'll be heading to a consignment sale later tonight that usually has a good amount of high quality clothes and toys in great condition that I'll be scouring for the 13 nieces and nephews I will be shopping for.  After they are all marked off the list its dh, mil, and fil and I'm done!

I have most of my Christmas shopping done for my kids. However, my youngest daughter is 6 and all she wants is "science stuff".... lol! Easy enough, right? I've found kits and science supplies to set up her own little "science station". Each of my other kids are getting a box of new books and I am going to put together a box of science books for McKenzee... but I'm not sure what to get for her. We already have tons of books ... I hope to find a whole set on a whole bunch of different science topics. Stilll looking though...

Sorry, OT and not sure if this is what you had in mind but at that age my kids all LOVED the "One Small Square..." Series of books. Just thought I would share since the series has been well loved in my house. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/178-4918333-0352450?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=One+small+square

I saw a huge clearance rack at Wal-Mart the other day and had to hold back because we don't have the money for Christmas shopping yet. I did pick up one set of PJs off the rack for $4 for ds, though. With a baby due in December and our car needing new tires it's driving me nuts waiting to shop. I do not want to be doing last minute shopping this year so hopefully I can get it all squared away in Nov.

Hope you don't have to do it last minute either! Although I do have to say that if money were no option I'd do all my shopping on the 23rd. I love last minute shopping.

I love sharing/hearing about the awesome deals people can find on Christmas gifts and was wondering if anyone had found any yet. I'm usually done my shopping by now but havent really spent much time thinking about it till recently. My scores so far...

-unopened Lego police set usually $20, found for $3 at Goodwill

-hape quadrilla wooden marble run usually $200 new, found at Goodwill for $8. Missing 5 pieces but I can replace those for about 20

-Lego Cinderella castle, $60 new, purchased last night for free on amazon using the gift card they gave me for signing up for their credit card.

For my kids all I need now is to find a good deal on a high quality tumbling mat and they're done!

What have you gotten?

The best deal we found on a mat this summer was We Sell Mats http://www.wesellmats.com/. We got a 2 inch 4x8 foot tumbling mat to expand our aikido area for $120 (don't know shipping, we were close enough we could pick it up from the warehouse). This was actually my husband's combo Christmas and birthday gift early. :)

The only thing I have so far are some dvds for my dad and a couple of dvds for my daughter that we've found at the Goodwill, some still in shrinkwrap. I did pick up some cute socks for her stocking when we were at the beach last week. We might be getting an older DSLR camera (doesn't do video, but has all the other features) for free or close to it from a friend, which will be my daughter's major present if it works out. Other than that, I'm going to be getting things related to Supernatural, Deadpool, or Marvel characters. Last year was Doctor Who themed.

Claire's has their clearance $2. I picked up a couple groups of earrings. Also, Barnes and Noble has their 75% off clearance tables out right now. They won't return after these are gone. I messed up by not purchasing any last year and regretted it. They had a few board games thrown in this year.

I learned the hard way a few years back, not to wait until "closer to Christmas!"  The stores around here begin to sell out in early November - Christmas outfits, decorations, toy sets...  I am trying to finish up this month.

The Lego Store always has sets discounted 20% for smooshed boxes - sometimes you can't even tell.  Hard to get excited about 20% off a $130 item though.   :sad:

I have done a good bit of shopping for my grandkids. I will be traveling a lot between now and Christmas, and I do all my mom's shopping for her great-grandchildren, so I had to start early!

I haven't really gotten super great prices because I just wanted specific things and didn't really luck up with sales on those, but I did get one WOW fire truck for dgs that is normally $35 on sale at Barnes & Noble for 50% off. It wasn't on my list for him, but he loves that brand of vehicles and I couldn't resist it at that price.

I DID buy all my wrap and twine for wrapping yesterday (thank you Wal-Mart for being overzealous about putting out Christmas items) and I even got 5 presents wrapped before I ran out of tape. 

The best deal we found on a mat this summer was We Sell Mats http://www.wesellmats.com/. We got a 2 inch 4x8 foot tumbling mat to expand our aikido area for $120 (don't know shipping, we were close enough we could pick it up from the warehouse). This was actually my husband's combo Christmas and birthday gift early. :).

Dh is a martial arts instructor and can get wholesale price on a mat if he orders from work. I'm finding out the price for that tonight. I of course would rather find it cheaper used but high quality is a must since they'll be doing acrobatics and kung fu for many many years! So unless its high quality used I'm sure we'll be getting from his works supplier.

Claire's has their clearance $2. I picked up a couple groups of earrings. Also, Barnes and Noble has their 75% off clearance tables out right now. They won't return after these are gone. I messed up by not purchasing any last year and regretted it. They had a few board games thrown in this year.

I love Barnes and nobles 75% off bins. I should go check to see if outs has them out tonight while I'm kid free. I can always find nice wooden baby toys, board games,and science kits in those bins.

I am going to 2 Goodwill stores that I have never been in before...I would LOVE to find some Lego sets...that would be amazing!!! thanks for the thread.

Good luck! Goodwill is so hit or miss for me but you can definitely get good deals.

Just got back from my consignment sale.  I found these awesome fort building material for $5!! My friend has them and we've loved using them at her house so I'm excited that I got them for such a steal.  they were going to be a gift for 2 of my nephews and niece but I gave them to my son, who had $5 to spend at the sale, to avoid him getting something I didn't want in the house.  He said he may still decide to give them to his cousins as a gift come Christmas.  We'll see.

http://www.amazon.com/Cranium-303050000-800M-Super-Fort/dp/B000HVXFDQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1412989474&sr=8-2&keywords=cranium+fort#customerReviews

Barnes and Noble is having their red dot 75% off table sale.  Picked up some Playmobil castle sets, knights, etc. for $4.00.  Lots of brainy-type games for $2.00-$4.00.  The store I was at had 3 tables set up.  Really good deals if you were willing to pick through it.  

I'm hitting up our local store tomorrow.  

Barnes and Noble is having their red dot 75% off table sale.  Picked up some Playmobil castle sets, knights, etc. for $4.00.  Lots of brainy-type games for $2.00-$4.00.  The store I was at had 3 tables set up.  Really good deals if you were willing to pick through it.  

Alright I've been convinced, im heading there today while I'm out getting maternity pants. Luckily its just a mile from my house.

I'm hitting up our local store tomorrow.

Christmas?! I'm such a slacker!

Before coming here I made my weekend to do list. I was patting myself on the back for remembering to get pumpkins this weekend. I felt so ahead of schedule.

:)

He he I wouldn't have a pumpkin if not for my CSA share. Don't make this thread give you the impression on the ball with anything else! I just love giving gifts so much and finding deals is the only way I can afford it.

Not so much good deals as that I am done. DS picked out what he wanted and I was able to find and buy it.

Being done is a good deal to me! But I always have a hard time being done.

Christmas?! I'm such a slacker!

Before coming here I made my weekend to do list. I was patting myself on the back for remembering to get pumpkins this weekend. I felt so ahead of schedule.

:)

I have pumpkins because dh's friend got 2 from his workplace. He gave them to me to decorate with in exchange for some pie when I make pie.

If you are in the market for more Snap Circuits, Amazon has the Snap Circuit Sound set marked down to $49.87 from $85...it is Prime eligible as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E0I493W/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00E0I493W&linkCode=as2&linkId=ZG366KGVDLTFXK3J&redirect=true&ref_=as_li_tl&tag=holyspirledho-20

If you are in the market for more Snap Circuits, Amazon has the Snap Circuit Sound set marked down to $49.87 from $85...it is Prime eligible as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E0I493W/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00E0I493W&linkCode=as2&linkId=ZG366KGVDLTFXK3J&redirect=true&ref_=as_li_tl&tag=holyspirledho-20

Man if I didn't have a gift idea for my oldest I'd get him this and call it done. Its so much cheaper than a gymnastics mat but he desperately needs one to practice safely at home

I went to B & N and found NOTHING!!!  I was so sad...it was very picked over and the stuff left, probably shouldn't have been there in the first place.  My Goodwill run was just as disappointing...oh well...I will just keep watching for sales...and maybe someone here will know of some good online deals.

I learned the hard way a few years back, not to wait until "closer to Christmas!"  The stores around here begin to sell out in early November - Christmas outfits, decorations, toy sets... 

It's like this in our area, too.  Around here, if you see something you like or need, you buy it while you get the chance.   Our Target sells out crazy early. 

-Neil Diamond Christmas CD for my MIL @ HalfPrice Books Outlet for $1.

-ChicoBags for 2 of my friends through a friend's STEM school fundraiser.  Not necessarily a deal but the are useful and I was able to support my friend's kids.  

-Simply Fun games for 3 of the families on my list through a fundraiser for a local children's hospital. Not a deal but I feel like it was money doubly gifted.

-Finally, I had an Usborne Books party and was able to get $125 in free books and another $100 worth at 1/2 price.  $50 covered a lot of Christmas presents and I was able to support my friend's business.

• 3 weeks later...

Today at a thrift store I found the game Rush Hour for 99 cent, unopened and the game Brown Bear, Panda Bear What Do You See?  for 99 cents as well.  I was intending to gift these to a nephew and a niece but ds wants to see if we can sell them.  That's what I get for spending 2 days in bed sick and watching auction/picker shows.  He has decided that he wants to make money like those people do.  I can't blame him because I make a good chunk of change selling used books. 

So I turned it into a teaching moment and showed him how to check if its worth something, how much can it be sold for used, is there a market for it, take a picture, and list it.  I told him he has one week.  If they sell in that week then we will split the profit. If they don't they are Christmas gifts for his cousins.  If they do sell I'm make him log in a notebook how much we spent on each item, how much we sold it for, what our profit was total, what his profit was after I got my cut.  Either way it plays out I'm happy!

I got 2 new iPad minis for $189 each. The best part is, I sold a bunch of stuff, so we only actually spent about $150 on them. And my kids aren't expecting anything much at all because of our upcoming vacation. I am so excited to give it to them. the current going price is about $250. :D

I have most of my Christmas shopping done for my kids.  However, my youngest daughter is 6 and all she wants is "science stuff".... lol!  Easy enough, right?  I've found kits and science supplies to set up her own little "science station".  Each of my other kids are getting a box of new books and I am going to put together a box of science books for McKenzee... but I'm not sure what to get for her.  We already have tons of books ... I hope to find a whole set on a whole bunch of different science topics.  Stilll looking though...

She is at the perfect age for the Magic School Bus books, and they cover a wide variety of topics.

Also, you can find sturdy and effective science tools for kids at Discount School Supply.

If it's with Amazon, do you need to show them a print out or smartphone screen? Do cashiers usually let you do this at check out or send you to Customer Service? I thought they were supposed to be able to do it at the register but I'm skeptical that the local ones would actually do that.

When I worked at Best Buy, we occasionally let people price match with Amazon (I think it varied among stores, managers at the time). As the cashier I would pull up the Amazon product myself on the screen, check the inventory status (we couldn't price match an out of stock item. Probably not an online exclusive item if it was a big box store) & price. Not sure how they do things now but I did hear or read something about Best Buy price matching Amazon so I wonder if they do it with most items now.

I was shopping at Best Buy for a camera this summer.  I had my phone open to amazon and I was pricing things out.  A worker came over and let me know that they were happy to price match, so I found the camera that I wanted at best buy, and pulled the same one up on amazon on the screen of my phone - it was about 5 dollars cheaper at Amazon.  The same guy walked up to the check out to tell them to give me the discount.  Easy!  

If it's with Amazon, do you need to show them a print out or smartphone screen? Do cashiers usually let you do this at check out or send you to Customer Service? I thought they were supposed to be able to do it at the register but I'm skeptical that the local ones would actually do that.

When I worked at Best Buy, we occasionally let people price match with Amazon (I think it varied among stores, managers at the time). As the cashier I would pull up the Amazon product myself on the screen, check the inventory status (we couldn't price match an out of stock item. Probably not an online exclusive item if it was a big box store) & price. Not sure how they do things now but I did hear or read something about Best Buy price matching Amazon so I wonder if they do it with most items now.

At target you will need to go to customer service and they have an ipad to look up items. Sometimes they'll just look at my phone. It has to be sold and fulfilled by amazon.

At walmart you can price match at the register using your phone. I'm not sure if they'll let you use a printout because amazon's prices change so frequently.

Toysrus has Hasbro games {cootie, chutes & ladders, candy land, memory} for $4.99 today in their ad. With the coupon in today's inserts for $2 off {also available I think at hasbro rewards}, they are just $2.99.

They also have Life, Battleship, Scrabble & Operation for $11.99, and there is a $3 off coupon same as above, making them just $8.99.

Walmart & Target should price match :) I am probably going to pick up a couple. Not sure if they will be for dd or go to toys for tots.

My guess would be that they would match the price before coupon, but not after. Whenever there is a part B to the sale I think the merchant leans toward not honoring that price. I hope you can get what you are looking for, though :)

Does anyone know if/when Lego sets would go on sale? I didn't see anything in my Black Friday links about the particular things I'm interested in. I'm eyeballing Hobbit sets.

Normally you're right, but in this case I think it will work as the ad clearly spells out the sale price of $4.99 and the price of $2.99 after manufacturers coupon.

Worst case scenario I can go to Toysrus when I am over that way this week.