Menu

Turn your dang cell phone OFF

DawnM

I admit I am a bit stressed and in a mood at the moment but I am sitting in a waiting room that CLEARLY has signs to turn your phone OFF.

The woman across from me is texting away and I can tell her volume is up.....click, click, click, swooping noise incoming, click, click, click, swoop, for the last 15 min!!!!!,

I want to go grab her phone and turn it off for her!!!!!

UGH

Dawn

PS:  I see some reactions that she shouldn't have to turn it off......let me clarify.  I meant volume OFF, not that she could not look at it or even text quietly.   I misspoke.

There was no good reason for her to have the volume all the way up so that I, being someone across the way from her, would have to listen.

I never turn mine off but always turn it to silent.  I leave 4 kids at the house when I go to the doctor for myself, and there is no way in Hades that I am going to make it so they cannot contact me in an emergency.  Sorry the other person is being inconsiderate of others though and clicking away.

Well, I think it is presumptuous of the doctor or whomever to dictate what you can and cannot do in their waiting room, so I would put my phone on silent and click away.

I'm kind of team I'll-use-my-phone-in-the-waiting-room, especially for doctors that keep people waiting a while.  But I am very quiet about it.

I don't think it's about noise in medical areas. Isn't usually that the cell transmissions can interfere with certain medical equipment?

I've heard this often but it baffles me because I've always been allowed to have and use cell phones in hospital rooms. So, I can't imagine it being an issue in a waiting room.

I wonder if it has more to do with HIPPA laws than anything else. If your phone is off there is a lower chance of anyone accidentally sharing another patient's information. It would also prevent loud talkers from having personal conversations related to their medical condition being overheard by all present.

Add me to the put your phone on silent but don't turn it off club.

I've heard this often but it baffles me because I've always been allowed to have and use cell phones in hospital rooms. So, I can't imagine it being an issue in a waiting room.

I just did a quick google search and it seems the results are mixed. I've been in hospitals where the rule existed and was enforced and others where it wasn't. Sometimes it existed only in certain areas of the hospital, such as the neonatal unit. I'm a little surprised that so many people are that comfortable just ignoring the sign in the doctor's office though, especially on this board!

In a waiting room?  I'd be ok with it to be honest.  People are killing time and different people choose different things.

In a movie or in front of a speaker of any sort is a totally different issue.

And I'm not defending my use of a phone.  I lost mine back in July and haven't replaced it.  It wasn't a smart phone anyway.  I just don't get bothered by what others do in a waiting situation.

I wonder if it has more to do with HIPPA laws than anything else. If your phone is off there is a lower chance of anyone accidentally sharing another patient's information. It would also prevent loud talkers from having personal conversations related to their medical condition being overheard by all present.

I agree with you but I have to admit the part about the loud talkers sharing their medical information with everyone makes me laugh a little.  I have heard loud people on their cell phones in medical offices and while I'd rather not hear them, I guess they are the ones violating their own privacy! 

Also never turn off my phone, but I don't use it unless it's a true need.

I'm a little surprised that so many people are that comfortable just ignoring the sign in the doctor's office though, especially on this board!

If I'm visiting someone in the hospital where telemetry is in use, if there's a sign there, I definitely would turn off my phone. But I recently visited someone in cardiac care and there were no such requirements.

If the sign were there because use of phones interferes with the proper functioning of medical equipment, the sign really should specify that "use of your cell phone in this office disrupts medical equipment function."

I don't think it's about noise in medical areas. Isn't usually that the cell transmissions can interfere with certain medical equipment?

From what I can see, only in very close proximity to very sensitive equipment (within a few feet at most - most of the things I'm reading say it has to be basically touching the equipment), and it's mostly a problem with older equipment and older cell phones. It wouldn't be an issue in a waiting room, even an ICU waiting room. 

I suspect this may be the case. It's pretty easy to unobtrusively go take a picture of someone with a cell phone, too.

However, I suspect it is primarily aimed at requesting people refrain from having loud conversations on their phones and that there's no actual breaking the spirit of the rule going on if you're not making noise while using it.

Yeah and what about every 1-8 year old on their devices with no headphones and volume on HIGH in waiting rooms.  Turn the D*MN thing to mute or buy your kid a pair of 1$ headphones from the dollar store.  People are so freaking rude anymore. And when I have asked them to turn it down most parents say no.  WTH???

"We" (at my treatment job) have cell phone restrictions for this reason.

I put my cell phone on vibrate and use it like I do everywhere else. In most offices there is no reason for the rule or the rule is in place to keep people from trying to conduct business with the office while on their phone. I put it away when the doc comes in. On a number of occasions my phone has been super useful in he doc's office...checking whether a drug he wants to use is on formulary for my medical insurance, for example. It's much quicker to use my insurance app than to head down to his office to use the unrestricted internet on his computer.

I also use it to hold my knitting patterns. They do NOT want me waiting an extended amount of time without my knitting.

I've never seen a quiet waiting room. Most have some stupid cartoon or jerry springer crap on a tv in the room, which I personally find far more annoying than someone clicking in their phone.

As for turning my phone off. I might consider it when I see staff turn their phones off too. So far, I've never seen that ever. Not in a hospital or a dr office. They might turn it to low or silent, but never off.

Years ago, I worked with a woman whose grandson ended up in a life threatening situation because a cell phone interfered with his medical device.

This was years ago when cell phones were just becoming common. I'm sure things have improved so perhaps it's just in case.

My dentist office has a sign too. I forgot to turn it off and asked. She told me it was fine because they weren't using the specific device it interfers with.

As for turning my phone off. I might consider it when I see staff turn their phones off too. So far, I've never seen that ever. Not in a hospital or a dr office. They might turn it to low or silent, but never off.

:iagree:

I hate to be cynical, but as far as I can tell the request in medical offices to turn off phones is only for the convenience of the doctors and staff.  It irritates them when people are distracted by their phones.  Well too darn bad.  I put my phone away when it's my turn to interact with the receptionist/nurse/doctor/whoever.  But I'm the one paying for their services.  They're not doing me a favor out of the goodness of their hearts.  And I will not be told how I can or cannot entertain myself while I wait.  Especially since waiting times are often ridiculously long.

However, I:

Keep my phone on vibrate

Have keyboard clicks turned off

Don't answer calls in a waiting room unless it's an absolute emergency

Don't watch videos or play games that make noise

There's absolute no reason my surfing the 'net or reading a book on my phone should bother anyone in a waiting room, or anyone who works there.

But I totally agree that keyboard clicks or any other noises coming from a phone are very irritating in a waiting room or similar location.  And of course it's a whole different matter if phones can indeed interfere with medical equipment.  But I think that's pretty rare nowadays with newer technology.

ICK.

I had a person do that on an airplane once.  Thankfully it was a short flight.

Dawn

Last time my husband was having a procedure, there was a guy playing what sounded like a slot machine game at FULL volume.

I'm amazed that anyone would think that was ok.

:iagree:

I hate to be cynical, but as far as I can tell the request in medical offices to turn off phones is only for the convenience of the doctors and staff. It irritates them when people are distracted by their phones. Well too darn bad. I put my phone away when it's my turn to interact with the receptionist/nurse/doctor/whoever. But I'm the one paying for their services. They're not doing me a favor out of the goodness of their hearts. And I will not be told how I can or cannot entertain myself while I wait. Especially since waiting times are often ridiculously long.

However, I:

Keep my phone on vibrate

Have keyboard clicks turned off

Don't answer calls in a waiting room unless it's an absolute emergency

Don't watch videos or play games that make noise

There's absolute no reason my surfing the 'net or reading a book on my phone should bother anyone in a waiting room, or anyone who works there.

But I totally agree that keyboard clicks or any other noises coming from a phone are very irritating in a waiting room or similar location. And of course it's a whole different matter if phones can indeed interfere with medical equipment. But I think that's pretty rare nowadays with newer technology.

This 100%. I really get annoyed by the attitude that the medical staff's time is more important than mine.

From what I can see, only in very close proximity to very sensitive equipment (within a few feet at most - most of the things I'm reading say it has to be basically touching the equipment), and it's mostly a problem with older equipment and older cell phones. It wouldn't be an issue in a waiting room, even an ICU waiting room. 

I suspect this may be the case. It's pretty easy to unobtrusively go take a picture of someone with a cell phone, too.

However, I suspect it is primarily aimed at requesting people refrain from having loud conversations on their phones and that there's no actual breaking the spirit of the rule going on if you're not making noise while using it.

:iagree: I used to work in telemetry, doctor offices, ER, etc.  It's very unlikely with modern equipment that it'd be a problem.  In fact many units with telemetry have their nurses and aides carry cell phones (not to mention the doctors and those on call) provided by the hospital that are also linked into the call lights.  It's mostly to keep people from being obnoxious or ignoring the doctor when they need to talk to you because auntie Sue wants to talk to you on the phone loudly.

I don't see the problem with phones in waiting rooms or being used (not talked to or with loud volume) in hospital rooms.  It's the modern age.  It happens.  There will be noise in hospitals and while it's polite to be quiet around those that are ill, it's not expected.  Hospitals are very noisy places-that's just a fact.  You have beeping IVs, heart monitors, oxygen tanks, doctors and nurses talking, calls to/from care providers and departments, TVs in waiting rooms or rooms, etc.  I certainly text or read on my kindle app on my phone when I'm waiting.  You can be there for hours and family will be worried.  Easier to text them with updates than have your whole family wait in the waiting room for news. If you're super worried about interference, turn your phone to airplane mode and read your kindle or play games. Waiting can be stressful so I have no problem with people trying to calm their fears and distract themselves on their phones or devices. 

The OP meant volume off, not device. I came to the thread late so I saw that, but I don't know if others did. Not yelling, just bolding for others to see lol

She originally specified device off and mentioned the signs, so I think that's what most of us are responding to. I agree loud noises on phones are annoying, but it's going to be loud in there anyway, most likely, so I wouldn't fuss about it.

There were 3 people in the waiting room.  It was very quiet.  No one was even talking to each other.

I didn't fuss to her or to the office, but it was irritating.

Dawn

She originally specified device off and mentioned the signs, so I think that's what most of us are responding to. I agree loud noises on phones are annoying, but it's going to be loud in there anyway, most likely, so I wouldn't fuss about it.

There is free wifi in the office.  However, I don't think it matters at all.  I was using the internet to correspond SILENTLY.  Cell or wifi is the same in this case.

Dawn

Were you using wifi or cell reception built into it?  Because that's the same as using your phone, IMHO.

My physician wife tells me that this is not a true issue in most hospitals in this century.  If a facility still does not have hardwired telemetry and or something else she mentioned that I do not recall then it may be an issue.  In the late twentieth century when cellphones were relatively new and hospital technology was rapidly advancing then were some issues and even more uncertainty or fear that there might be issues.

I don't think waiting rooms are going to be loud, anyway necessarily. The last couple of waiting rooms I have been in didn't even have a TV (dentist, OBGYN and at least one children's wellness room I was recently in).

I'm glad that's changing.  Fights over what's on TV was always an issue.  I remember once with my kids in the waiting room there was a fairly explicit sex scene on TV.  That was uncomfortable.

I admit I am a bit stressed and in a mood at the moment but I am sitting in a waiting room that CLEARLY has signs to turn your phone OFF.

The woman across from me is texting away and I can tell her volume is up.....click, click, click, swooping noise incoming, click, click, click, swoop, for the last 15 min!!!!!,

I want to go grab her phone and turn it off for her!!!!!

UGH

Dawn

PS:  I see some reactions that she shouldn't have to turn it off......let me clarify.  I meant volume OFF, not that she could not look at it or even text quietly.   I misspoke.

There was no good reason for her to have the volume all the way up so that I, being someone across the way from her, would have to listen.

People are so rude.  NO ONE wants to hear your stupid phone dinging or ringing or quacking or whatever you have it set on.  SILENCE it. 

I totally agree with you. 

Our(dental) office has a sign in the waiting room indicating to please turn phones off.  This is when you actually enter the operatory(although I don't think it sounds that way).  I once had a patient grab for her phone and smack my hand.  I almost cut her face with my instrument!. 

Also, patients are able to video and audio record during their visit.  Our HIPAA advisors STRONGLY recommend that we ask patients to turn off their phones.  We have an open concept office and patient confidentiality is a challenge in itself.

Earlier this year, I was in the ER and the doctor handed me my phone so I could notify my dh that I was being admitted. I agree with all the others that it is more of a courtesy type thing than an equipment type thing. I don't even know how to turn my phone off.  :lol:  Vibrate is all I ever use. So, yeah, the OP should not have been hearing those annoying sounds. It's just rude.

Oh and those blasted loud baby to preschool toys. Wth? I despise those toys in dr offices. Can't believe people can't think of a better place for them than a place where many are feeling like crap and have a huge headache.

Our family doc practice has a small table with child sized chairs and books/Highlights. No TV, no toys. They do have a water cooler, though, which enthralls my small boys. They get a cup and sit down to read books at the little table.

The kids' dental office has a TV with Disney Channel, I think, magazines for the adults, books for the kids, and a playroom, slightly separate from the waiting room, for the kids. It's well done and reasonable. My dental office has no toys but has HGTV playing in the waiting room, and since each little cubicle has its own TV, they have put on cartoons for the kids when it's my turn to get my teeth cleaned.

I don't mind a phone ringing in a waiting room, although I try to remember to turn mine off (but I wouldn't necessarily do so if I was waiting for a specific call or had left kids at home or something), but the constant click of the texting would be annoying.