Menu

What's with the ads?

Susan Wise Bauer

ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL. ALL USERS PLEASE READ

So grateful I am not a picture poster....my avatar is my own feet taken by my own self.

Not much of a link poster, either.

In fact, I contribute nothing but raucous humor.  :D

Carry on.

Yeah, my avatar was done long ago before selfies were "in." I guess we can call it a headie. Of my own head. When I had hair. Before it fell out.

I used to contribute lots of posts that told stories using few words and lots of different smilies. Thankfully, they were all free use.

Things like this can make one long for the days of the old type forums- you know, the ones with long threads and no separate forums? Periodically, having to be cleansed of posts and started anew? The days when it was fun to be the first person to post on an empty, brand new board? Yep, I was here way back when...Sigh...

• Like 12

<< I have no idea where my avatar came from.  Pretty sure it's not a celebrity.  Might be art work?  Does it need to come down?  I tried Googling it and can't find anything.  At one time I must have known where it came from.  Probably some image I found on the internet and liked it.  

:crying:  :crying:  :crying:

Nobody is going to know me.  

I tried doing a Google image search and nothing other than your posts came up (well, I'm assuming you're the person posting in Czech with this avatar ~7 years ago with a username Google translate tells me is 'bookcase'.

Do you have it in a file as part of a larger picture?

...I don't want you to change!  It is such a lovely picture! 

Guest inoubliable

LOL. So dramatic!

A job for the guys at Popehat, maybe?

Or just napalm the site and start over?

• Like 3

I downloaded my avatar many years ago from a site with free, animated avatars. Would this type of site be in the public domain?

I got mine from the same sort of site, many years ago.  I'm assuming it's okay.

I removed my picture of Sanjay Gupta, my picture of Weird Al, and the t-rexes eating watermelon. I am a strange person. (And I talk a lot about poverty.)

• Like 8

I can't find the thread, but I posted poems for memorization on a old thread (originally on the old boards, but reposted here).  Some were old, but at least a few are more modern.

I also posted the correct version of The Caterpillar in a discussion about FLL, but that, too, is very, very old, and I haven't been able to find the thread.

Probably more of an issue: on a thread with my list of short story/essay recommendations, I posted a few of the harder to find stories.  I intended them just to be up for a day or two, but I didn't make it back in time and the editing window of opportunity was much shorter then.  [since they're hard to find I had wanted those interested to be able to glance over them before trying to track them down.] I tried to PM a moderator, but I'm sure it was a very low priority issue.

One of the stories (The Eclipse) is in the public domain, but one was by Daphne du Maurier and would definitely be under copyright restrictions.  I think there were two or three others, but my forum searching skills are near non-existent.

I am assuming that the threads where translations were discussed and (brief) excerpts given are okay?  The one I remember most vividly was the Dante one...

I know images are the top priority right now, but they could be an issue later.

I'll keep trying to find them...

• Like 1

Never been so glad that I am not a big picture poster! I stopped searching when I got all the way back to 2011 and all I found was one cupcake pic! Checking the avatar now...

So grateful I am not a picture poster....my avatar is my own feet taken by my own self.

Not much of a link poster, either.

In fact, I contribute nothing but raucous humor.  :D

Carry on.

I believe I speak for the entire Hive when I thank you for your generous contribution.  :cheers2: 

My avi is my dd9 when she was little and sweet. It's staying!

• Like 2

Oh Susan :crying: , let this be a reminder to us all!

For once I am glad that I ran out of room 1.5 years ago after posting all our science fair photos.  Have found a silver fern in public domain. 

Ruth in NZ

It seems a bit goofy to scramble around trying to delete so much. If it's so dire, why not just scrub it all and start fresh?

No!!!!

Please no.

I have been searching old threads today looking for the Hive's thoughts on cursive. I rarely post a new thread when looking for something; I usually try to hunt up an old thread. Only when really desperate, e.g. an ironing board (not found) and globe (found!). And a washing machine! But see, I didn't even need my own thread for that.

• Like 24

No!!!!

Please no.

I have been searching old threads today looking for the Hive's thoughts on cursive. I rarely post a new thread when looking for something; I usually try to hunt up an old thread. Only when really desperate, e.g. an ironing board (not found) and globe (found!). And a washing machine!

A thousand times yes! 

(Not hyperbole, either.)

• Like 9

Guest inoubliable

It seems a bit goofy to scramble around trying to delete so much.  If it's so dire, why not just scrub it all and start fresh?

Especially the way things get rehashed over and over here. From math curricula to current events. 

• Like 2

Worse case scenario, just erase ALL photos and keep the text-based material.  Those of us (like me) who have truly important photos here can just upload them again.  I would be willing.

• Like 6

It seems a bit goofy to scramble around trying to delete so much.  If it's so dire, why not just scrub it all and start fresh?

Especially the way things get rehashed over and over here. From math curricula to current events.

It would be an incredible shame to see all of the interesting discussions and wonderful information get deleted.

People get upset when a few of their posts get deleted. I can only imagine how everyone would feel if the entire forum was erased.

• Like 18

I am changing my avatar as a statement of solidarity, not because I'm afraid Evariste Galois would call this a hill to die on. Er, then again, maybe he would?!

I made it myself and my kids are unanimous that it's "neat" looking. Ahem. Original, not so much.

• Like 18

Yup. Delete all the photos if necessary. I don't think that would be a big deal at all. But I search through the archives for info when I need it. And so many of the older folks don't answer anymore. The answers now won't necessarily be what they were if the question is asked again. New programs vs old, the experience of using them vs first impressions...

• Like 13

Could you simply delete any .jpgs from the server? Chances are they are stored in logical place(s). The links in the HTML code would remain, so you'd get those broken link picture boxes, but that's a minor irritation.

• Like 2

Yup. Delete all the photos if necessaey. I don't think that would be a big deal at all. But I search through the archives for info when I need it. And so many of the older folks don't answer anymore. The answers now won't necessarily be what they were if the question is asked again. New programs vs old, the experience of using them vs first impressions...

Not only don't answer, but can't. I can't tell you how many threads I've pulled up with lovely book suggestions from Moira, and words of wisdom from Kalanamak and Myrtle, and so on. 

• Like 35

Guest inoubliable

It would be an incredible shame to see all of the interesting discussions and wonderful information get deleted.

People get upset when a few of their posts get deleted. I can only imagine how everyone would feel if the entire forum was erased.

Oh, I know. 

Kinda like when a few posts in a group gets deleted with a vague reason of "rules", and then the entire group has to go because no one really knows what the rules are. 

:(

• Like 2

I removed my picture of Sanjay Gupta, my picture of Weird Al, and the t-rexes eating watermelon. I am a strange person. (And I talk a lot about poverty.)

I'm so sad the watermelon-eating T-rex pictures are going!

• Like 6

Oh, I know.

Kinda like when a few posts in a group gets deleted with a vague reason of "rules", and then the entire group has to go because no one really knows what the rules are.

:(

What does the social group issue have to do with this situation? :confused:

• Like 8

Guest inoubliable

What does the social group issue have to do with this situation? :confused:

Nothing, except that I was agreeing what a shame it would be. I think you must have read between lines that weren't there, my dear. 

Nothing, except that I was agreeing what a shame it would be. I think you must have read between lines that weren't there, my dear.

Sarcastic much? :glare:

I have no idea what you seem to be upset about. You are the one who brought up the situation with your group.

• Like 8

Found a lovely local artist that doesn't mind me using their work as my avatar :D (DDs painting from 2 years ago)

I think it's perfect! :001_wub:

• Like 2

Guest inoubliable

Sarcastic much? :glare:

I have no idea what you seem to be upset about.

Not at all. I was being kind. 

Seriously. 

I'm not upset, either. I was honestly just saying that I understood and was referring to a recent issue to illustrate the point. Good gods. 

Not at all. I was being kind.

Seriously.

I'm not upset, either. I was honestly just saying that I understood and was referring to a recent issue to illustrate the point. Good gods.

OK -- usually when you say stuff like "my dear," you don't mean it in a nice way.

Sorry to have misunderstood! :)

• Like 1

Went through my 40 pages of posts and deleted a Seinfeld video and a tupperware photo. Those were my most celebrity-ish pics. And I'll get to keep my avatar since it's a picture ds took of his desk. Unless he sees this and decides to take it back. :D

• Like 3

Guest inoubliable

OK -- usually when you say stuff like "my dear," you don't mean it in a nice way.

Sorry to have misunderstood! :)

Well now. :( 

• Like 1

I'm going through all the BAW posts and deleting as many pictures as I can. Please, please, please give me time to get through them.  A couple posts have been deleted entirely before I could even get to them. 

• Like 1

Well now. :(

Ok, now I'm completely confused.

Maybe we should just let this drop and get back to the original topic.

This must be serious, and I feel very badly for Susan. I hope everything works out OK for her -- and for the forum.

• Like 3

Noooooo!!!!!!   Okay, over my heart attack now. 

• Like 5

Guest inoubliable

Ok, now I'm completely confused.

Maybe we should just let this drop and get back to the original topic.

This must be serious, and I feel very badly for Susan. I hope everything works out OK for her -- and for the forum.

I just meant that it was sad I was taken sarcastically. 

*sigh*

• Like 1

I uh . . . may have been responsible for posting one of those.  But when I click the link in my content, it says the page can't be found, so I'm guessing the thread was already removed?  It was the thread where the salvation of aliens was discussed <---- I can't believe I just wrote that sentence. 

• Like 7

I uh . . . may have been responsible for posting one of those. But when I click the link in my content, it says the page can't be found, so I'm guessing the thread was already removed? It was the thread where the salvation of aliens was discussed <---- I can't believe I just wrote that sentence.

That was a good thread. :)

• Like 4

I am changing my avatar as a statement of solidarity, not because I'm afraid Evariste Galois would call this a hill to die on. Er, then again, maybe he would?!

I made it myself and my kids are unanimous that it's "neat" looking. Ahem. Original, not so much.

Hmmm, a photo of the front of your jumpsuit perhaps?

:D couldn't resist

• Like 1

Oh Susan :crying: , let this be a reminder to us all!

For once I am glad that I ran out of room 1.5 years ago after posting all our science fair photos. Have found a silver fern in public domain.

Ruth in NZ

Yay! You're still recognizable!

• Like 2

Hmmm, a photo of the front of your jumpsuit perhaps?

:D couldn't resist

What? What jumpsuit? You mean...prison jumpsuit?

Oh no you didn't.

• Like 3

I have a ds who likes drawing dinosaurs; perhaps I can convince him to draw us a picture of a t-rex eating watermelon. Though it might be difficult to explain why I need it...

• Like 6

I've pretty much always used Photobucket.  Now if you did as well, just go to your photobucket account and delete the photo. (and click save..lol)  That breaks the html url language and it comes off the post without too much hassle.

This avatar makes me dizzy.  (ducks the tomatoes thrown...)

• Like 1

What? What jumpsuit? You mean...prison jumpsuit?

Oh no you didn't.

Did I just send the thread downhill? However will we salvage things without posting pictures of kilts and cupcakes?!?

(and actually I quite like your new avatar, I will at least know who you are when I see it. I don't know how I will keep track of who is who with all these changes).

Under My Settings, Manage My Attachments pulls up photos I've uploaded, but I don't think that included things that are based on a link using the little tree picture when posting.

Ooh, thanks, I found the girls in the dresses that barely cover the rear from old books; I think the threads are long gone but I never knew how to get rid of these! What's left is some photos I took with a digital microscope!

Re the avatar, I went for obvious, maize. I think we match, conceptually.

• Like 1