Menu

ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL. ALL USERS PLEASE READ

As a techie person, I'm not exactly sure what the point is here. The people who care enough to read this thread are spending ages going through their old posts cleaning them up. But even if they all do, you'll still have a huge portion of offending posts remaining. Lots of those posts will belong to people who have left, or people who can't be bothered, or people who didn't read the thread. I appreciate the idea and on a smaller forum it might work, but here, you have a small group of people spending ages going through their threads for what seems like nothing since you'll still have plenty of content left on the board from people who did not.

I can understand a 'from now on' or a wipe of previous posts by the mods

But to ask people to spend their time going through and deleting things from a huge history of posts, when there will still be a LOT left when they're done, seems ridiculous and unfair to me.

Just my 2c

I'm not totally clear - SWB kindly said she'd explain and update later - but my guess is that there may be a legal standard to meet of having made their best effort to enforce a clear policy and clear out old offending posts and that asking us to remove and report will help them achieve that. So the goal may not be to clean 100% of the posts, but rather to show that they made a good faith effort.

• Like 22

I'm seeing whole threads deleted that don't even have any pictures in them. Also some with pictures taken by board members, not celebrities.

I have no idea if I have posted celebrity pictures or not and I am surely not going to go through all my old posts to see if I have. Especially since there are threads being deleted that don't contain those offensive celebrity pictures.

So you're taking the time to post in order to say you're not going to take the time to help out?

:confused:

• Like 14

In general, if you don't own it, don't have permission to publish it and it doesn't fall under fair use doctrine then you shouldn't post it. Whether FB gets by with it or the company should be flattered that you are promoting their product doesn't matter.  Not everybody gets caught speeding but those who do end up paying the fine.

With regard to the unfairness of a free to users board asking users to give  back a little, I doubt if SWB is expecting anyone to go through decades of posts.  In fact, I think the main gist of the initial request was to stop all future posting that might result in a violation of copyright law.  The further request would be for those who are willing to invest as much time assisting this board as they do posting materials on it. I doubt if anyone will be keeping track of who cleaned their posts and who didn't.  

• Like 11

In general, if you don't own it, don't have permission to publish it and it doesn't fall under fair use doctrine then you shouldn't post it.

The vast majority if them are hotlinks, not images people *actually* published here. It is a different issue, for example, than people from reddit downloading the images from hacked celebrity phones from another site and uploading them to reddit so that they display even if they are removed on the original site.

People are mostly using the button above the text box that looks like a little photo. If you click it, then you can put in a link to an image, and the image will show up in your post.

You are not copying and pasting it. You are hotlinking it. It uses the bandwidth of the original host site to display it. The original site maintains its google standing over this site, even if the thread here gets more hits. Technically, it is just a link, so none of those should (technically, according to my understanding, I am not a lawyer) need to be deleted, but that is the majority of what is being deleted.

I went through and deleted a bunch of stuff and reported lots of threads that have since gone missing. I feel that the supposition that a good faith effort should be made for legal reasons is a logical conclusion.

But, I think your assessment of the situation is off. People haven't generally been taking the images, they have been linking them, which is generally allowed or things like Pinterest could never exist.

• Like 9

As a techie person, I'm not exactly sure what the point is here. The people who care enough to read this thread are spending ages going through their old posts cleaning them up. But even if they all do, you'll still have a huge portion of offending posts remaining. Lots of those posts will belong to people who have left, or people who can't be bothered, or people who didn't read the thread. I appreciate the idea and on a smaller forum it might work, but here, you have a small group of people spending ages going through their threads for what seems like nothing since you'll still have plenty of content left on the board from people who did not.

I can understand a 'from now on' or a wipe of previous posts by the mods

But to ask people to spend their time going through and deleting things from a huge history of posts, when there will still be a LOT left when they're done, seems ridiculous and unfair to me.

Just my 2c

I don't think it is unfair.

If SWB thinks it's necessary, that is reason enough for me, and although I have a lot of posts to go through, I'm happy to do it if it makes things easier for her.

• Like 19

But, I think your assessment of the situation is off. People haven't generally been taking the images, they have been linking them, which is generally allowed or things like Pinterest could never exist.

Yes, I had the same wondering. Facebook, pinterest, even Twitter all use images linked this way. It's part of how the internets run. It feels very random and perhaps unfair to the WTM forum that we should have to remove them. On the other hand, I can only assume that SWB has a good reason to ask and I really wouldn't want Peace Hill Press to be hit with crazy legal fees thanks to us posting cupcakes and kilts and being generally silly because that would really be rotten for them.

• Like 19

I have a photo of a pineapple plant here (eta: the thread is locked, so I can't remove it myself):

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/526421-sparkly-unicorn/?p=5890541

Going though my content, I guess I link a lot more often than I actually quote or upload photos. 

Hold on, I quoted some stuff from a blog post here about the Pearls. It includes quotes with attributions. Is it things like this that are the problem? Most of those types of things are going to be in locked threads where we can't edit them. But, it is *is* properly attributed and definitely less than 5% of their book, well within fair use/critique guidelines.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/525752-jill-duggar-dillard-is-pregnant/page-7?do=findComment&comment=5881942

After skimming 40 pages of my posts using the method I posted earlier, I didn't think I'd found all of my pics.

Sure enough, I found a much better method,

which helped me to find more pics in way, way less time.

Here is how I did it:

Click on the tool symbol - the gear picture to the right of the magnifying glass at the top right of every page. That gets you to the "Advanced Search" page.

Now fill in a few blanks (skip the ones not mentioned below):

In the "Find Words" box, put .jpg

(Or, presumably, any other picture file extension, like .gif)

Be sure to include the period in .jpg or .gif, as you need at least four characters.

Under "Search in Section", click on "Forums".

Under "Find author" type your username - in my case it would be justasque.

Under "Display Results" click "As a topic list"

(This will give you just the relevant posts, instead of the whole threads.)

Then hit "Search Now".  This should give you all of your posts with .jpg pictures in them.

You can then page through your posts and skim them to see if the pictures need to go due to copyright issues or if they can stay because they are your own pics.  

To edit a post (as there is no edit button in this view), click on the post number, which will show that post in context and with an edit button.

(In Chrome you can right-click, which will open a new tab, so you can work in the new tab then close it and continue reviewing your posts in the original tab.) 

(I haven't read this whole thread, so I don't know if anyone else has already suggested this method, or indeed a better one.

SWB - talk to your tech folks - chances are this method could be modified or automated or something to search all usernames for .jpg pictures.  It wouldn't let you know which ones are legit and which aren't, but so long as you're up on your celebs, it may help find them....)

• Like 9

Yes, I had the same wondering. Facebook, pinterest, even Twitter all use images linked this way. It's part of how the internets run. It feels very random and perhaps unfair to the WTM forum that we should have to remove them. On the other hand, I can only assume that SWB has a good reason to ask and I really wouldn't want Peace Hill Press to be hit with crazy legal fees thanks to us posting cupcakes and kilts and being generally silly because that would really be rotten for them.

Exactly, I fully agree.

IMO, most of the images shouldn't be a problem because they are only linked, not hosted here. BUT, there is no sense in TWTM engaging in a legal battle over shirtless photos of Ewan McGregor, Viggo Mortenson as Aragorn or cupcakes decorated like kilts. Making an effort to remove them is the least the company can ask, given all that they provide, including tolerating moms releasing some steam now and then.

From now on, we have to draw our OWN pictures of shirtless Ewan McGregor.

• Like 9

Exactly, I fully agree.

IMO, most of the images shouldn't be a problem because they are only linked, not hosted here. BUT, there is no sense in TWTM engaging in a legal battle over shirtless photos of Ewan McGregor, Viggo Mortenson as Aragorn or cupcakes decorated like kilts. Making an effort to remove them is the least the company can ask, given all that they provide, including tolerating moms releasing some steam now and then.

From now on, we have to draw our OWN pictures of shirtless Ewan McGregor.

I hope you have a good imagination if you expect to see Viggo in my drawings.

• Like 2

After skimming 40 pages of my posts using the method I posted earlier, I didn't think I'd found all of my pics.

Sure enough, I found a much better method,

which helped me to find more pics in way, way less time.

Here is how I did it:

Click on the tool symbol - the gear picture to the right of the magnifying glass at the top right of every page. That gets you to the "Advanced Search" page.

Now fill in a few blanks (skip the ones not mentioned below):

In the "Find Words" box, put .jpg

(Or, presumably, any other picture file extension, like .gif)

Be sure to include the period in .jpg or .gif, as you need at least four characters.

Under "Search in Section", click on "Forums".

Under "Find author" type your username - in my case it would be justasque.

I didn't worry about finding my own posts. I simply searched the words "Ewan" and "Tennant" and "Gerard" and so forth (to be displayed as posts), then scrolled through for photos, reporting at least one post per thread to be reviewed.

I don't think it is unfair.

If SWB thinks it's necessary, that is reason enough for me, and although I have a lot of posts to go through, I'm happy to do it if it makes things easier for her.

I agree.  I don't imagine she's asking us to do this for the fun of it.  This forum has been an invaluable resource for me.  She's asking us to do this to be polite.  She could just take that down the site and be done with it.  But instead she's still trying to maintain this forum.  I think it's a small price to pay in order to maintain this forum. 

Thank you SWB!

• Like 12

Ah, very possibly. That makes sense. Obviously, we're not generally into THAT sort of thing. Did we even discuss that issue here? I don't think we did, never mind post photos.

I have a new avatar. I took the photo myself. It is highly representative of my favorite homeschool resources. It is sideways, but I'm not sure why, lol. I can't get it to post right side up.

Well, there was that one photo of Cumberbatch that nearly crossed the line ;) I cannot remember which thread it is in though.

• Like 1

To review your posts, click on your name in the upper right of any page,

under By Content Type check Forums, under See This Member's check Only Posts.

You can then page through your posts and skim them to see if there are quotes or pictures included.

To edit a post (as there is no edit button in this view), click on the post number, which will show that post in context and with an edit button.

(In Chrome you can right-click, which will open a new tab, so you can work in the new tab then close it and continue reviewing your posts in the original tab.)

Thanks so much for these instructions. I remember being able to view only my posts in the old board and I missed that feature. You are a live changer!!

• Like 1

Have to finish searching later.  I did the .jpg search as directed and it is great, only then I found myself in the circe thread and I want to start reading it again.  Which means I now have WTM open in 3 windows on the computer.  This one, one with circe thread and 1 to continue my search for things to delete

• Like 6

I didn't worry about finding my own posts. I simply searched the words "Ewan" and "Tennant" and "Gerard" and so forth (to be displayed as posts), then scrolled through for photos, reporting at least one post per thread to be reviewed.

You can use the method to find photos by putting .jpg in the "find words" section, and then limiting the search by date. For example, I did it from Aug 1 to Sept 1, and found a ton of posts with pics. I think it might be better for SWB to go through this way than by having to have each one reported? Then she can see each pic in each post and see what needs to be removed and what needs to stay. That way we don't need to think of every possible celebrity name!

I almost started a thread with my own pictures of my own cupcakes, offering them up in case anyone ever needed them. But then I thought maybe given the current climate that wasn't a great idea. I'd hate for anyone to think they weren't mine. I have some amazing robot cupcakes though.

I sure hope that when the dust settles, some intrepid WTM'er does some amazing sketches of men in kilts to post. It's not even totally my thing, it would just crack me up.

• Like 7

You can use the method to find photos by putting .jpg in the "find words" section, and then limiting the search by date. For example, I did it from Aug 1 to Sept 1, and found a ton of posts with pics. I think it might be better for SWB to go through this way than by having to have each one reported? Then she can see each pic in each post and see what needs to be removed and what needs to stay. That way we don't need to think of every possible celebrity name!

OH- and to remove the picture, you can click the little box in the upper left of the edit box to toggle between "preview" and "HTML view". In HTML view, find the code that includes the picture, and delete it, then save the post. The HTML will be enclosed in square brackets, and will usually say img src = some_kind_of_url in between the brackets.  Just remove the brackets and whatever is in between them.

• Like 2

You have to make sure that you are searching the whole board. "This topic" or "this forum" I think tend to be the defaults.

I searched Educatiom and Lounge.

I think I just don't post many pictures.

I found other people's, but I've just gotten sucked into the lice thread and half an hour went by and I've got another page to go.

• Like 1

Does anyone know what the rule is about a .gif from gifsoup.com? are those one public domain? That is where I got MG kitty from so want to know.  They include the codes for embedding etc like youtube does, so does that mean it is okay? or perhaps not since I have that code on my computer but didn't post my avatar straight from teh page, I had saved it to my computer first.

Does anyone know what the rule is about a .gif from gifsoup.com? are those one public domain? That is where I got MG kitty from so want to know. They include the codes for embedding etc like youtube does, so does that mean it is okay? or perhaps not since I have that code on my computer but didn't post my avatar straight from teh page, I had saved it to my computer first.

I don't know, but I hope you get to keep MG kitty. Maybe someone on the chat forum would know. It might be worth asking.

Does anyone know what the rule is about a .gif from gifsoup.com? are those one public domain? That is where I got MG kitty from so want to know.

http://gifsoup.com/faq/

Q: What is GIFSoup?

A: GIFSoup is a free GIF creating and sharing service that lets you easily create your own animated GIFs from Youtube videos and share your gifs on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Myspace, social networks, blogs and message boards.

http://gifsoup.com/terms/

For Copyright Owners

If you are the copyright owner of certain material and want to block the conversion and download of this material, please contact us by e-mail at copyright@gifsoup.com.

• Like 2

http://gifsoup.com/faq/

Q: What is GIFSoup?

A: GIFSoup is a free GIF creating and sharing service that lets you easily create your own animated GIFs from Youtube videos and share your gifs on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Myspace, social networks, blogs and message boards.

http://gifsoup.com/terms/

For Copyright Owners

If you are the copyright owner of certain material and want to block the conversion and download of this material, please contact us by e-mail at copyright@gifsoup.com.

awesome thanks :) That means MG kitty gets to stay!

• Like 8