Menu

ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL. ALL USERS PLEASE READ

Especially the way things get rehashed over and over here. From math curricula to current events. 

Oh, but there are a ton of great threads I have subscribed to, and keep going back to. They are not curriculum threads, and those discussions are priceless!

As a techie person, I'm not exactly sure what the point is here. The people who care enough to read this thread are spending ages going through their old posts cleaning them up. But even if they all do, you'll still have a huge portion of offending posts remaining. Lots of those posts will belong to people who have left, or people who can't be bothered, or people who didn't read the thread. I appreciate the idea and on a smaller forum it might work, but here, you have a small group of people spending ages going through their threads for what seems like nothing since you'll still have plenty of content left on the board from people who did not.

I can understand a 'from now on' or a wipe of previous posts by the mods

But to ask people to spend their time going through and deleting things from a huge history of posts, when there will still be a LOT left when they're done, seems ridiculous and unfair to me.

Just my 2c

Well, here's a news flash: I don't want to be doing this either. I hate it.

Nor is it at all fair that I'm having to deal with a current situation which is frightening, potentially very expensive, and not at all my fault. And it is ridiculous that I'm being threatened.

Guess what? I am. And the posters on this board won't be paying for it. I will.

So I respectfully disagree.

And I am extremely grateful to those of you who have taken the time, however "ridiculous" and "unfair," to report and help out.

SWB

Nor is it at all fair that I'm having to deal with a current situation which is frightening, potentially very expensive, and not at all my fault. And it is ridiculous that I'm being threatened.

And I am extremely grateful to those of you who have taken the time, however "ridiculous" and "unfair," to report and help out.

SWB

Like!

• Like 39

I don't have a section that says "manage attachments", only "manage classifieds"...Does this mean I have no attachments?...I don't remember attaching anything...

Click your name in the upper right. From that menu, you have to click My Settings. It takes you to a page with a menu on the left. That has Manage Attachments.

• Like 3

To review your posts, click on your name in the upper right of any page,

under By Content Type check Forums, under See This Member's check Only Posts.

You can then page through your posts and skim them to see if there are quotes or pictures included.

To edit a post (as there is no edit button in this view), click on the post number, which will show that post in context and with an edit button.

(In Chrome you can right-click, which will open a new tab, so you can work in the new tab then close it and continue reviewing your posts in the original tab.)

Thank you, justasque! I just scrubbed my posts including pix in others' posts that I'd quoted and removing lots of YouTube links (that embedded the vids) too, just to be safe. Now I'm off to zap my avatar.

• Like 1

Okay, so I know this isn't all about me, but I have no idea where my avatar came from.  I've had it since the first day of the first board change back in 2008.  I'll take it down if I need to, becoming a shadow, but does anyone know where I got it and if it's safe? 

I've never successfully been able to get a picture to load on this version of the boards, other than my avatar, so I'm good there.

Do I need to become a shadow?  Remember, I am a Disliker of Change.

Okay, so I know this isn't all about me, but I have no idea where my avatar came from.  I've had it since the first day of the first board change back in 2008.  I'll take it down if I need to, becoming a shadow, but does anyone know where I got it and if it's safe? 

I've never successfully been able to get a picture to load on this version of the boards, other than my avatar, so I'm good there.

Do I need to become a shadow?  Remember, I am a Disliker of Change.

When I searched for "picture of hamster doing kung fu",  your avatar is one of the first that popped up.  The source is "littleprincess1. hubpages. com"  (remove spaces).  You can take it from there. :)

When I searched for "picture of hamster doing kung fu",  your avatar is one of the first that popped up.  The source is "littleprincess1. hubpages. com"  (remove spaces).  You can take it from there. :)

When I go there I just get an article about hamsters.  How do I tell if she owns the picture?  And why is she calling the guinea pig a hamster?

Susan, if this does turn out to be very expensive for you, would you please post and allow the board members to help out? I'm sure many of us would make a donation.

• Like 30

When I go there I just get an article about hamsters.  How do I tell if she owns the picture?  And why is she calling the guinea pig a hamster?

I wondered that, too.  It is clearly a guinea pig. 

I don't know anything about the techie stuff like how to find the original source of an image  - mostly just wanted you to see that your image is "googleable" pretty easily.  From there, a smarter person might have some ideas. 

I thought it was from an old blockbuster commercial? Maybe I made that up?

LOL Nope. Nailed it. So sad that I knew that. Google blockbuster guinea pig commercial.

• Like 1

I wondered that, too.  It is clearly a guinea pig. 

I don't know anything about the techie stuff like how to find the original source of an image  - mostly just wanted you to see that your image is "googleable" pretty easily.  From there, a smarter person might have some ideas. 

Okay, I'll take it down. 

When I found it, I was actually looking for a bunny doing Judo (since I'd just changed my name from threelops to JudoMom).

• Like 1

SWB,

I know this hasn't been brought up in this thread but it has in the past and I just want to reiterate--I've never in my life paid to be a member of an online forum but I will happily kick in some cash to keep this place up and running.  Just throwing that out there.

And, Angie in VA, you have my written permission to keep my brilliant quote in your signature.  Even though *some people* don't get it.

• Like 19

I went through my posts and I think I'm safe. But I really have no idea where I got my avatar. I tried searching Google images but no luck. Is there a way to confirm if my avatar is safe?

I can't get the google link to paste through, but I got a bunch of hits by right clicking and selecting search by image on Chrome. It said this is where it is from:  giclee painting yudin's jeanne d arc joan 

I'd be sad to see the old posts disappear, but please take care of YOU, Susan! You mean more to us than posts, or even the forum.

The world can be an unfair place, that can punish us for doing good. You don't deserve this. It's not fair. When bad and unfair things happen, it can focus us, and show us what really matters. PEOPLE matter, not things, and not posts or facts or information. YOU matter!

I've seen a lot of bad and unfair things happen. I don't understand God, or the Agenda, as I call him. But He has an agenda and stuff happens or is allowed to happen. When things start getting weird, I pull back and start looking at how to keep all the PEOPLE around me okay, and let the things fall by the wayside.

:grouphug:

• Like 10

I went through my posts and I think I'm safe. But I really have no idea where I got my avatar. I tried searching Google images but no luck. Is there a way to confirm if my avatar is safe?

Google says it's Joan of Arc in prayer by Herman Stilke, painted in the 1800's so no copyright.

I can't get the google link to paste through, but I got a bunch of hits by right clicking and selecting search by image on Chrome. It said this is where it is from:  giclee painting yudin's jeanne d arc joan 

Google says it's Joan of Arc in prayer by Herman Stilke, painted in the 1800's so no copyright.

Thank you both for checking for me. I guess that means I can keep it. ??

If not for whatever reason, I hope someone tells me.

ETA: Oops! I think you are saying two different paintings. Off to check.

Thank you both for checking for me. I guess that means I can keep it. ??

If not for whatever reason, I hope someone tells me.

ETA: Oops! I think you are saying two different paintings. Off to check.

The painting is fine because of its age, but the photo of the painting might not be, since you didn't take it.

• Like 1

Susan, I'm sorry that you're having to deal with this. 

I've gone back through my posts to 2008 and have not found any pictures.

This thread raises a question in my mind:  why this forum? why now? Granted--I'm not privy to all the issues, nor do I pretend to understand all of the ramifications. However, on most of the social media websites, such as Twitter and Facebook, for example, posters frequently access images from all over the internet--for profile pictures, for jokes, and for random posts. Are these websites ever called into question? 

• Like 5

SWB

Oh my. You are posting at 4am. Have you been up all night? 

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. Copyright infringement is terrifying. And you aren't responsible for any of it. :'(

I hope this resolves quickly with no hardship to you. 

• Like 13

The painting is fine because of its age, but the photo of the painting might not be, since you didn't take it.

According to this article the photo should also be public domain:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bernard-starr/museum-paintings-copyright_b_1867076.html

ETA it's a long discussion but this part is I think relevant:

"Starr: So what would you advise those who are hesitant to use photos of works that are in the public domain?

Sprigman: They should know that under the law if the image is "slavish," a mere reproduction, a plain unadorned exact image, they can use it and do not have to pay anyone a licensing fee."

Especially given that the image is not being used to bring in profit of any kind, the chances of whoever took the photo tracking it down and trying to sue are extremely remote.

• Like 4

What should be done about avatars of people no longer posting that are clearly licensed characters or otherwise copyright violations? Reporting members feels weird, especially after all the discussion about trigger-happy overreporters.

I don't see a problem in reporting that.  It's sad, but necessary.  Not exactly equivalent to someone reporting a poster because they don't return their shopping cart. ;)

• Like 6

Thank goodness, my avatar is my very own photo, taken at Dumbarton Oaks. I will use justaque's system and go through everything as soon as I get to a real computer. So sorry, SWB, for whatever is going on.

ETA went back through all my content, but it ended at page 40, November 2013. I put in a liilte note that the pix had been removed 9/11/2014 as per SWB request.

• Like 2

According to this article the photo should also be public domain:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bernard-starr/museum-paintings-copyright_b_1867076.html

ETA it's a long discussion but this part is I think relevant:

"Starr: So what would you advise those who are hesitant to use photos of works that are in the public domain?

Sprigman: They should know that under the law if the image is "slavish," a mere reproduction, a plain unadorned exact image, they can use it and do not have to pay anyone a licensing fee."

Especially given that the image is not being used to bring in profit of any kind, the chances of whoever took the photo tracking it down and trying to sue are extremely remote.

Thank you!

I just want to be as cautious as possible because I love SWB a lot more than my avatar. 

• Like 13

Susan, I'm sorry that you're having to deal with this. 

I've gone back through my posts to 2008 and have not found any pictures.

This thread raises a question in my mind:  why this forum? why now? Granted--I'm not privy to all the issues, nor do I pretend to understand all of the ramifications. However, on most of the social media websites, such as Twitter and Facebook, for example, posters frequently access images from all over the internet--for profile pictures, for jokes, and for random posts. Are these websites ever called into question? 

I'll be able to answer this question as soon as the current situation is resolved...don't worry, I will update as soon as I'm able.

And to those of you who've offered to donate: Thanks. If it comes to that, you may end up seeing an optional donation button just to help us meet the costs of this specific situation. Only if necessary.

Onward, forward...

SWB

I'll be able to answer this question as soon as the current situation is resolved...don't worry, I will update as soon as I'm able.

And to those of you who've offered to donate: Thanks. If it comes to that, you may end up seeing an optional donation button just to help us meet the costs of this specific situation. Only if necessary.

Onward, forward...

SWB

We really do appreciate what you do in making this forum available to us  :001_wub:

And I noticed you are now able to "like" posts  :thumbup1:  :thumbup1:  :thumbup1:  Too bad we can't "like" yours :)

• Like 25

Onward, forward...

SWB

Thank you, Susan. This is certainly something I will pay attention to in the future--for this forum and for others. I would also be happy to donate, should it come to that.

• Like 4

You're more likely to be right. I just copied what the google page that came up told me.

I think you did something I don't know how to do--can you somehow tell google to find a match for an image? 

I just searcher for "joan of arc praying" or something similar on the image search, but if you can get google to match for you that would be fun to play around with.

I am sorry, Susan. I have been a prolific image poster. Am working on deleting....

Also, I have the same question that has been posted -- some things are showing up when I search for my posts, but then when I click the link, a message says the thread cannot be found. So are the images still there or not? (I can see them in my search window.)

• Like 2