Menu

Successful multiple c-section stories?

Skadi

I was all set to have a natural delivery with our first child. But after 36 hours of labor, I didn't progress past 4 CM, even with cervadil and pitocin, and eventually I had to have an emergency c-section when my baby's heartrate began to drop.

Our local hospital network does not do VBACs if you have never had a vaginal delivery before. The closest hospital that does them is over an hour away, and it may be difficult to get to it in inclement weather. We are weighing our options about whether to try for a VBAC or do multiple repeat c-sections.

I know all the statistics for both. Believe me! But what I'm interested in are some anecdotes from real people. I've read lots of VBAC stories, but it's hard to find stories from people who have had 3+ c-sections.

How many sections did you have? How did the recovery change each time? Any complications? I'm all ears!

I've had four c-sections, all successful.  The first one was the toughest to recover from.  The second wasn't bad at all.  I actually felt pretty decent, considering, but during the procedure, the spinal didn't take completely and I could feel some of what was happening.  They ended up giving me that "forgetting drug" (I don't remember the name of it) after MDS was out and I'd seen him because DH insisted I'd be livid if I missed the birth of this one too (I was knocked out for the first c-section and missed my ODS's first cries).  He was right, of course. :)

The third one was better during the procedure itself but the recovery was horrible.  It also took longer than the two previous ones as they had a lot of scar tissue to get through.  The final c-section wasn't terrible, but I felt nauseated during that one.  I had never felt that way before.  I also had my tubes tied at that time as my doctor had advised me that four was likely enough for me.  He leaned over the curtain at one point during the procedure and assured me that, having seen what he'd seen, he was confident we were making the right decision.  This c-section took the longest of them all and not just because of the tube tying.  That part was actually very quick.  The longest was them trying to get inside.  They actually couldn't cut along the same incision, thought they did try.  The scar tissue was just too thick and prevalent there.  I have a parallel line running along the original scar for that one.  So now I have two c-section scars that resemble an "equal" sign. Lol. 

Every woman is different.  Just because my body can't handle another c-section doesn't mean there aren't plenty of women out there who could have even more.  It really just depends on the person.  Hope that helps!

I have had 3 c-sections plus a major abdominal/pelvic surgery in the same area. My 3rd c-section was vertical.

I have had scaring from the c-sections that had was found in an exploratory laprascopy surgery that was cut. I always felt a tight/pulling sensation, so having the scaring cut felt better afterwards.

I know several women who have had tummy tucks after 2 c-sections because no matter how much exercise they did, they could not get rid of the tummy roll.

I've had 3 and will most likely be having a 4th in Feb.  I say most likely because if labor starts prior to 40 weeks then I will let it continue, no matter what my doctor or hospital tries to convince me.  I'm having a 4th because with my youngest 2 I tried a vbac both times and it just never progressed.  With my youngest I labors for 72 hours, 40 of which were active labor, with no progress passed 4 cm.  I simply can't handle the stress involved with arguing with my dr, attempting a VBAC, and ultimately ending up with a c-section.  So this one will be scheduled and if a vaginal birth is in the cards it will happen before the c-section date.

As far as recovery,  they've all been very easy for me.  I make sure I take the good meds on schedule in the hospital to give my body roughly 2 days of resting completely then at home I only needed the good meds with my 3rd.  That was only after my toddler belly flopped onto my incision. Even with that happening I was up and moving around like normal within a week.  It of course still hurt a bit and I took it easy with lifting and going up the stairs but I could pretty much do everything else just not for as long as before.

Have you considered how many children you would like to have?  The only reason I continued to try vbac is because I know I want lots of children, as in at least 6.  With multiple c-sections we have to think hard every time to decide if we still want to risk more c-sections.

I had 2: first one technically an "emergency" (but didn't feel like one, a very relaxed emergency), 2nd one planned. Both very similar experiences all 'round. No complications.

At that moment in our (Canadian) health system, an VBAC and a 2nd C-section were considered to be approximately equivalent in medical risk, so I was given an un-pressured choice between my option -- with no medical recommendation either way. However, I was told that a VBAC is a monitored labour experience from beginning to end -- which means in the bed with the wires attached.

I opted for the C-section mostly because it was familiar and predictable, and because the fully monitored VBAC didn't sound like much fun.

I've had five c-sections. The recovery from the first was by far the most difficult. No one told me how important it was to get up and walking as soon as possible and as often as possible, so I didn't, and I really think that's why I had a harder time. With all the rest, I was doing laps around the floor as many times as I could, and I really think that helped.

No complications. My doctor did use a different incision point with the last one, but that was to prevent any complications, not because he had to. 

I have had four c-sections. The first occurred after fifteen hours of labor, and the baby could not be turned. The second section followed nine hours of labour, again with a baby impossible to turn. The third time was with the same excellent doctors. These OBs would have allowed me to have six such surgeries.

Fourth surgery was in another state.

My recovery periods were not what one typically hears of, I think. I always stayed four days in hospital before returning home. Once at home, apart from the standard refraining from lifting heavier items for a few weeks, I went straight back to all daily activities. (With the exception of sleep, which became a luxury!)

Scarring is hardly visible.

I've had 3. The first was the hardest and the third was really easy. I didn't have any complications and it wasn't terribly painful with the meds. I was back to normal after about 2 weeks. TBH, I've had much worse pain after a root canal (that's more a comment on the root canal than the C-sections, but still).

Have you considered how many children you would like to have?  The only reason I continued to try vbac is because I know I want lots of children, as in at least 6.  With multiple c-sections we have to think hard every time to decide if we still want to risk more c-sections.

exactly. With the issues surrounding accreta that would be my biggest factor. 

I've had five c-sections. The recovery from the first was by far the most difficult. No one told me how important it was to get up and walking as soon as possible and as often as possible, so I didn't, and I really think that's why I had a harder time. With all the rest, I was doing laps around the floor as many times as I could, and I really think that helped.

No complications. My doctor did use a different incision point with the last one, but that was to prevent any complications, not because he had to. 

I agree. I've had three c-sections. The first was by far the worst, I think because I had labored first and was tired. The other two were fairly easy. I made sure to get up asap and walk and went home by 48 hours for both. I asked for a spinal instead of an epidural so that I could move right away. I really found it was much easier the 2nd and 3rd times. 

I have had three sections. All were fine. I had no problems breastfeeding (I breastfed my middle son for 3 years and am still breastfeeding my 2 year old) or bonding :)

Recovery was fine. I'm not going to lie - my last recovery was pretty hard, but I'd had a medically necessary tube-tie done as well, AND I didn't follow the doctor's recovery instructions, so my incision ended up infected and splitting a bit. This had nothing to do directly with that a section was done, and everything to do with MY problem following directions. 

If you have other young children at home, I would strongly recommend you have somebody there with during the day for the first couple weeks. Lifting heavy things (like small children and laundry baskets) will be where complications come in.

A friend of mine had five. All her babies were born early and she had to be bedrest with each pregnancy. But she kept each baby cooking longer than the previous one. Her recoveries were brutal but after talking to her about it, I'm convinced that has more to do with having a doctor who didn't adequately manage her pain. The lack of drugs she was given after each surgery seems absolutely barbaric to me.

I had 3 of them in 4 years. Recovery got easier with each one. Recovered the fastest from the 3rd because Ds was in the NICU for several days and I had to go back and forth from home to the hospital to feed/visit him several times a day. I definitely did not lift or do any housework, but IMO, the frequent walking around helped with healing. I also kept up on pain pills/stool softeners, much better than letting the pain get out of hand. No complications other than an infected incision once or twice, but quickly resolved with antibiotics.

All four of my babies were born via c-section. The first time it was not planned and the other times it was scheduled at 39 weeks.

By far my most difficult recovery was the first. The whole thing had been more stressful and highly emotional. And I'd labored all night and whatever. (It wasn't bad care, just not at all what I had envisioned.)

After this last kid, the doc did say that there had been quite a bit of scar tissue and she was glad that I'd already decided to be done at that point. But truly, recoveries from babies 2, 3 and 4 were much easier than from baby 1.

I agree. I've had three c-sections. The first was by far the worst, I think because I had labored first and was tired. The other two were fairly easy. I made sure to get up asap and walk and went home by 48 hours for both. I asked for a spinal instead of an epidural so that I could move right away. I really found it was much easier the 2nd and 3rd times.

My second csection was much easier, the first followed an incomplete labor induced with pitocin, the second followed 3 days of labor and full dilation. I think my body had all the hormones, etc. From being prepared for labor, which sped healing, plus less stress because I felt more in control of the situation and good about the decision to do surgery, and it wasn't my first rodeo.

After two, though, I wasn't willing to put my body through that again. If I have any more kids, it'll be through some other avenue.

I've had four. After the first, I asked each doctor to give her opinion regarding additional pregnancies. Every time until the last, the doctor said I looked good, with minimal scar tissue and thick walls.

This last time, the doctor said she recommended no additional pregnancies due to excessive scar tissue.

Recovery felt much easier for subsequent sections. They didn't hurt as much as the first, but i took the full six weeks because I was easily tired or felt off.

I've "only" had 2 C-sections, but the first was the most difficult; recovery was a breeze with my second (probably because I was in better physical shape from exercise).  Anyway, I was given a choice of VBAC and opted for a C-section because everything went really smoothly with my first and I had a good birth experience. 

I've had three. My first was an emergency. I didn't have to go through much labor- when I got to the hospital the nurses were all laid back and chatty, but as soon as I was hooked up to the monitors, I was told "we nee to get this baby out NOW." My second, I wanted to try for a vbac, and my doc was willing to try, but only if I went into labor naturally before 41 weeks. I didn't, so at 41 weeks I hada scheduled c/s. That time, they told me that my uterine wall was very thin and that it was good that I hadn't gone into labor. With my last, they wouldn't try for a vba2c. (Maybe I could have looked around and found someone who would, but I liked my doctor.) So they scheduled me just a couple days before my due date. I actually went into labor with him a couple days before that, but had the section when I got to the hospital. I had already decided to have my tubes tied during the procedure because other reasons made me sure I could not handle another pregnancy. They told me I had a uterine window - a place where the uterus was so stretched thin that they could see through it and that it was a good thing I was having my tubes tied. That one was my easiest recovery. I suspect that it is because I had been in so much pain during the pregnancy that the pain of the c/s was nothing. I strongly agree it's the previous poster that said walking around as soon as possible helps recovery a LOT.

I've had 4 successful C-sections. I could have had more. The first C-section was the most painful, with all the nerves freshly cut and me not really knowing how the recovery was going to go. I was a wimp and babied myself. The next 3 were a breeze. I always felt the most uncomfortable getting the spinal, but after that it was no problem. The surgeon burned off some scar tissue on the last C-section, but my uterine wall was still fine for more.

I had my first two children via c section. First was unplanned after 20 hours of labor, 2 nod was scheduled. I recovered quickly from both. Nursing was never an issue with either of them.

I did have my last two children v bac , and am glad for that experience. But I do counsel those who ask that each woman and each delivery is unique. You's is your's . Don't 't let the "what ifs " and the ' why" questions get to you. A healthy happy baby is the goal.

I had two very successful c sections. Kid #3 was transverse and after two failed attempts to turn him we went with a nice quiet c section lol. Recovery was the same as with my previous two pregnancies.

DD13 was slated to be a VBAC as I was an excellent candidate. However, she didn't get the memo and was also transverse. My OB at my final visit scheduled a c section for the next morning. Apparently dd didn't get the message on that either because I went into labor that night and had an emergency section. C sections while in labor with a transverse kiddo are no fun but the outcome was great and recovery was simple. I have one external horizontal scar and three different vertical internal scars.

I had two, but have a vertical incision in my uterus from the first. That made for a nerve-wracking next pregnancy thanks to a baby who laid laterally for months. I also had a hernia which was repaired during delivery (15 minute Csection turned into an hour procedure). Recovery was no fun but I was so happy to have the baby liberated that I didn't mind so much. I don't think my nerves could have handled another pregnancy, constantly thinking that my uterus might split open.

I've "only" had two.  As others have said, the first was the hardest -- in labor for over 24 hours that didn't progress, DS's heart rate dropped (as did mine) so off to an "emergency" c-section.  It sounds completely naive, but the possibility of needing a c-section had never seriously crossed my mind.  It was the shock of that and tiredness from labor and the worry and stress of having a first baby to deal with that really caused me more difficulty in recovering than any pain or other problem from the surgery.

Second DS was a planned c-section.  My very trusted OB had estimated a 75% chance we'd end up in the operating room if I tried for a vaginal birth, so I opted to go ahead and schedule the c-section.  It was so much easier than the first.  Not having to go through labor and knowing what was going to happen both regarding the surgery and caring for a newborn made all the difference in the world, I think.  DS was delivered around 9:30 on a Tuesday morning, we went home on Wednesday and we all went out to do a little shopping on Thursday. 

I wrote a blog post about my 3 c-sections on my blog about a year ago if you're interested. My c-sections were all because of one form  or another of pre-eclampsia, so my recovery was affected by that. I'm done because I almost died every time, and we feel that three is perfect for us also. But I would not let needing another c-section stop me from having another baby if those other reasons did not exist.

I had three - first hardest to recover from simply because I carried twins to full term*, and was soooo tired and distended from almost 16 pounds of babies!  The singeton c-sections after that, no big deal. The abdomnoplasty ( I hope that is correct) to put my guts back together (with loose skin removal) was harder than the c-sections.  Now I have had a sixth abdominal operation, not planned, thanks to the late May car crash, and am trying to schedule my 7th and hopefully last operation for later this month (rearranging everything back to normal post-crash).

* they were nine days late, the little buggers!

I would recommend if you're seriously considering a vbac to go to ICAN website, find a local group, and start getting recs and meeting people. Seeing which hospitals "offer" vbacs is a lot different than finding a truly supportive provider.

I would not let driving distance of an hour deter me from a vbac.

I had three c-sections. By the third, you definitely know what to expect as far as pain, and  know how to stay on top of the pain medicine. My husband said he thought the third one was the smoothest. It was at a different hospital from the other two, so maybe they did things differently - I don't really know. Because of my physical issues,  I never considered having a VBAC.

I would recommend if you're seriously considering a vbac to go to ICAN website, find a local group, and start getting recs and meeting people. Seeing which hospitals "offer" vbacs is a lot different than finding a truly supportive provider.

I would not let driving distance of an hour deter me from a vbac.

ICAN can be a tremendous help, both in planning a VBAC  and/or in planning a more gentle, family friendly c-section. (that said, every chapter is different, and I've heard the national email list can be a bit strident...I'm a leader in Orlando and more than happy to discuss things via PM)

I do want to say that as much as personal stories (VBAC and C-Section) can help give you a way to wrap your mind around things, when you are dealing with the low level of risks we are talking about they don't give a good picture. The risks are so small with both that you may never meet anyone that had a problem, be that rupture or placental accreta or what not. At that point, as you said in your OP, statistics become your friend. (the nutshell version being  VBAC is slightly safer for the mother, repeat c-section is slightly safer for the baby).  And again, you didn't say how many future children you are considering, which of course you don't have to, that's your business.