Menu

Your Favorite "Open and Go" curriculum:

Is Mr. Q science open and go enough?  I haven't really looked at many science programs, but it seems to be open and go enough for me -- everything's all laid out: read this, do this, gather these supplies.

I think History Odyssey is pretty darn open and go too: read this, do this map, write these notes, get these supplements from the library if you want, do this craft if you want.

Which of your children would this be for?  What world view are you looking for? Christian, Secular or something with a foot in both camps? By open and go do you mean no planning whatsoever by you or do you like tweaking? 

My favorite of the moment is IEW writing.  They also have Spelling and Grammar (and Literature for older students).  So far I've only done the writing (made huge improvements in DS' writing) and spelling (we're just getting started).  I am 99% sure we're going to do their grammar also.  

I'm on a budget of minuscule proportions and IEW can be $$$. So I bought the Themed writing books (I got both student and teacher but haven't used the teacher book at all) there is also a DVD that gives a brief overview of how the program works. I also bought the "budget" spelling that doesn't include the CD's.

I would say SOTW with Activity guide is "open and Go".

I'm really more of a DIY type person and these are the only two curriculum that I've mostly left alone.

We use CLE for reading, LA, Math and Bible and that simplifies a lot.  MFW for history/literature--it's open and go too.  We are in our second Jay Wile Science book for elementary (Science in the Ancient World) and I haven't had to buy any supplies yet--but i do need to check it once a week and make sure--I need to buy something for next week.

I don't do any real planning ahead except checking to make sure we don't need any supplies for MFW (rare) or science.  Well, I do plan out my weeks to see how many lessons I ought to complete each week during the year, but I don't prep for each day to teach--

Betsy

Which of your children would this be for?  What world view are you looking for? Christian, Secular or something with a foot in both camps? By open and go do you mean no planning whatsoever by you or do you like tweaking? 

My favorite of the moment is IEW writing.  They also have Spelling and Grammar (and Literature for older students).  So far I've only done the writing (made huge improvements in DS' writing) and spelling (we're just getting started).  I am 99% sure we're going to do their grammar also.  

I'm on a budget of minuscule proportions and IEW can be $$$. So I bought the Themed writing books (I got both student and teacher but haven't used the teacher book at all) there is also a DVD that gives a brief overview of how the program works. I also bought the "budget" spelling that doesn't include the CD's.

I would say SOTW with Activity guide is "open and Go".

I'm really more of a DIY type person and these are the only two curriculum that I've left alone.

I am really just curious about any favorites around here that would be considered "Open and Go."

We use CLE Math, and we've used Growing with Grammar and Soaring with Spelling, and I'm considering those again for this year.

I have been checking out the IEW themed writing books. Thanks for the suggestion! Do you think they can be used without the Teacher's Guide? WE are also on a very small budget.

Well, if you like a more Charlotte Mason approach and don't mind somewhat religious content and don't have serious special learning issues, Trail Guides to Learning is very open and go, covering literature, history, science, grammar, spelling, art, etc. (pretty much everything but math) and it can be used with multiple ages/stages at the same time, so just the one purchase of books, TM, support material really. Just print out the student pages at the correct level for each child.  And it is not like a "boxed" curriculum at all.  The material interweaves among each subject but you can easily add to or remove or modify various parts.

http://www.home-school-curriculum.com/learning_series/

And here is a review by a homeschooler for part 2 (it is in 3 parts, each covering a year's worth of material for all the subjects but math, but you don't HAVE to start with part 1):

http://www.weirdunsocializedhomeschoolers.com/review-and-giveaway-trail-guide-to/

Well, if you like a more Charlotte Mason approach and don't mind somewhat religious content and don't have serious special learning issues, Trail Guides to Learning is very open and go, covering literature, history, science, grammar, spelling, art, etc. (pretty much everything but math) and it can

Now why couldn't they have this when my son was younger and I was looking for something such as this.

I just looked at the books and it is incredible. I am thinking of getting it for my daughter next year.

I'll share a method instead of a list of books that may be a wonderful or terrible fit for you and yours. Spend time in the summer (or any spare moments you have) to know curricula deeply, and make syllabi or more detailed lesson plans for individual subjects if needed. When I know exactly what's going on and anything that needs detailed plans already has them, anything can be open and go. :)

Everything I use is open and go or close to it.

AAS

CLE Math

SOTW ( a little bit of prep if doing activities)

Essentials in Writing ( show DVD lesson, do worksheet)

Moving Beyond The Page ( again only need to prep to get the materials for activities which usually takes 5 minutes as they are generally household items)

Explode the Code

I am really just curious about any favorites around here that would be considered "Open and Go."

We use CLE Math, and we've used Growing with Grammar and Soaring with Spelling, and I'm considering those again for this year.

I have been checking out the IEW themed writing books. Thanks for the suggestion! Do you think they can be used without the Teacher's Guide? WE are also on a very small budget.

I'm using the Middle Ages student guide without the TG, for the most part, usually because I can't find it. I do like having it though, just in case.

I did a lot of research on the IEW website before buying.  I looked at all the examples of IEW's curriculum, listened to some of the free audio files, did an extensive search on the logic board, and asked some questions.  I decided that for less then $50 (check clearance sale for better prices) I could take the chance, especially since they have a no questions asked return policy.  I like it so well that I tore all the pages out of the student book to put in my son's binder (so, no returning now). For the Spelling I purchased the Phonetic Zoo teachers guide as a PDF ($10) and I am making my own cards, DS would much rather have me read him the words then do a CD(check out the program and you'll see what I'm talking about).  I think we'll go with the fix-it grammar because the Teachers manual ($19) comes with a free student PDF. 

At first glance IEW seems like a very expensive curriculum but if you're willing to adjust and tweak a little it can be fairly cheap. 

• 3 weeks later...

Teaching Textbooks (Math was KILLING us timewise! Almost ruined homeschooling.)

Essentials in Writing (Like it much better than IEW)

Nancy Larson Science, truly open and go

Growing with Grammar, Soaring with Spelling

The rest is not because I LIKE teaching and don't really want something I am not as intimately involved with.