Menu

Oddest thing you have ever eaten?

maize

Ants, probably.

I don't think sushi is an odd thing at all, lol! I have eaten lots and lots of that! Also, abalone, escargot, all kinds of stuff like that, yum, not odd.

Eta: I don't know if I would count gator. Maybe you should do a poll to see how many people have eaten it. I have.

Not sure these are considered odd by everyone but rattlesnake and escargot.  And chicken claw soup with the claws floating around.  And 1000 Year Old Eggs.  I don't think of sushi as odd at all because I have eaten it for years, but before I did it seemed a bit intimidating.

And a twig with a worm on it.  But that was on a dare, I was trying to look tough, and I was 6.   :)

Wow. I am so incredibly boring and NOT adventurous. I have a very active gag reflex and a very sensitive sense of smell. When I visited Japan, I lived on avocado and rice soup, because I was weary of the meat (hunks of meat hanging in open air markets) and do not eat seafood. I think the bravest thing I've tried is sushi. And I think it was the basic California roll. I almost threw up.

Oak leaves.

But we were playing around with Miracle Fruit tablets.  They really did work- sour foods were quite sweet.  After we sampled the array of foods we had brought along, we started nibbling on some non-food items to see if there was any effect.  The fresh oak leaves tasted remarkably like grapes.  The dried and dead oak leaves tasted like dried and dead oak leaves. 

Probably dog.  I really didn't know that's what it was and I'm still not completely sure.  Chinese people have this way of telling the truth as if it's a joke.  It was in a stew.  It's a long story.

I also had a congee flavored with the 1000 year old eggs once.  The expat I was with was like, try this, and then she told me it was thousand year old something something congee.  I was like, ugh, do you know what that is because let me tell you...

If not those, ketchup on chocolate cake?

Probably lutefisk.  It's not unusual here for people to eat it during the holidays, but people in other parts seem to think eating lye-soaked gelatinous fish is a little strange.

I would live on sushi and sashimi if I could. 

I didn't even think to say lutefisk since it's so common here, but you're right, it is pretty strange and rather overly strong. I can't stand it at all. I don't mind pickled herring though so my father in law has starting bringing that out during the holidays instead of lutefisk. I won't wrap it in leftse though.

My dh really thinks I am crazy because I eat ketchup on lunchmeat sandwiches.  Even after 20 years he just doesn't get it.

My husband smothers everything in peanut butter.  I like p.b. up to a point but...he likes p.b. so much my dad had the caterer put peanut butter in the grooms cake for our wedding.  Thankfully, he announced it or we might have had allergy issues with some of the guests.   :tongue_smilie:

I went through a phase in my early 20's where I loved Milky Way Midnight (the dark chocolate version with white nougat) and I would smear margarine all over the thing.  I weighed about 100 pounds and didn't think there was an issue at all with this choice of food.  What in the world was I thinking?  :thumbdown:

Most of the things listed by others are normal foods here!

Some odd ones for me include chicken feet, horse (that one I didn't know what it was when I ate it), chocolate covered grasshoppers and ants, and pine needle soup (yuck).

But the one I had trouble eating was live eel soup. I don't want my food to be moving.

Well, the thousand year old eggs would still qualify.

Ewww. Except they are not really that old anymore. They cheat and ferment the eggs in horse urine to speed up the process. Bleh. I used to love those as a kid and would ask my parents to find them and make them for me. I also loved liver and beef tongue. So weird, I know. Now... I'm not as adventurous. Lol. I've been offered camel milk but I just. Could. Not. Do. It. Lol

chocolate covered crickets

tripe

rocky mountain oysters (calf testicles)

some stuff that I'm not sure what it was and I'm still pretty sure I don't want to know

Oh! Rocky Mountain oysters!! Been offered those too but couldn't do it. How are they? I hear they're good. Ack! I'm a big fan of ostrich meat but again, that's probably not that odd. My husband has had bear. Not sure I could go there...

Ewww. Except they are not really that old anymore. They cheat and ferment the eggs in horse urine to speed up the process. Bleh. I used to love those as a kid and would ask my parents to find them and make them for me. I also loved liver and beef tongue. So weird, I know. Now... I'm not as adventurous. Lol. I've been offered camel milk but I just. Could. Not. Do. It. Lol

No.  They're only like a month old or so.  Still.

I'm also not that adventurous.  Dh ate the mopani worm when we were in Africa.  I wouldn't touch it.  And most of the truly weird things I ate when I lived in China were sort of by accident.

I did eat zebra and warthog and oryx and so forth when I was in Namibia.  But that seems really normal.  Warthog is really delicious.

Bear (yummy), moose (also yummy), sea urchin (not good). I love sushi but don't consider it odd. Dh went to an evening market in China a couple years ago and had silkworm, he said it was the most disgusting thing he'd ever eaten. He also tried dog but felt horrible about it.

Well, I grew up in Africa so I am not sure what is odd.....hahaha!

We drank a drink called Mursik which is fermented milk in a gourd with charcoal. http://sciafrique.wordpress.com/tag/mursik/

We ate a lot of goat meat, goat intestines, impala, kudu, all sorts of game meats.

I have eaten dog.  I didn't know it was dog until after I ate it.  (good thing!)

I have eaten a century egg......never again!  

I tried some sort of duck egg in Asia with a fertilized duck inside.......blech!  never again!

We ate a lot of flying termites.  We used to gather them in jars after the rains.  We took off their wings and fried them up.  The boys in my school would let them crawl down their throats (they pinch) as a sign of being cool.  (idiots).

I am sure there are more, but that is what is coming to my mind.

Alligator, if that counts. Raw oysters are probably odd to some, but they are common here. I don't like them, though.

When I was a kid, we were kinda poor. Sometimes we had a soup mom called "Gumdrop Soup." The "gumdrops" were eel.

Cow tongue, "rocky mountain oysters" (bull testicles), lutefisk, escargot and... the one thing I was supposed to eat but just couldn't :  balut.  Look it up on Wikipedia. Blech!  Now I really, really want to go brush my teeth!