Menu

Why do people think they can belittle others...

bettyandbob

In my teaching job, I sometimes answer phones. People are so rude to persons who answer the phone. Do they think that because you are answering the phone you are some lowly person with no education.

I also teach swimming. Some parents are incredibly condescending. I am very good at this job and like it. When I teach adults, I often explain physics. I do this because it really helps some of my adult beginners (significant numbers of foreign born engineers in my classes). However, a secondary effect is that it lets my adult students know I am "well-educated." The condescending behavior usually comes from parents of my younger students. I think they think an adult teaching swimming must be incapable of doing anything "more important." It happens that I think teaching swimming is important.

FTR my undergrad degree is in Chemistry, and I have two graduate degrees.

Rant off.

I understand what you're saying. Because my AWESOME grandmother was a custodian in a public school and never complained, but I teach my boys all the time to be very, very, very kind to take your pick: the Taco Bell counter person, the Walmart staff, anyone answering a phone etc.

I explain to them that they are easiest to abuse and therefore would love it if you're kind. I can't begin to tell you how their faces light up when I'm kind to them -- and I mean I'm extra kind. I'm trying to make up for everyone who is rude to them.

Personally I think the ones who are really rude to the "front desk people" have personality disorders. Others can disagree but I'm committed to this idea.

Alley

Who cares how smart or dumb you are? They should be treating you with respect even if you're dumb as a brick. People are jerks if they're mean to you because they think you're not smart. Being smart should not grant one special treatment. Being unsmart doesn't mean anyone deserves bad treatment.

They're dorks.

I work in a public school and I LOVE my custodians. They are some of the hardest working and nicest people in my school. The nice man who has been cleaning my hall for seven years retired this year. I so miss him.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

I understand what you're saying. Because my AWESOME grandmother was a custodian in a public school and never complained, but I teach my boys all the time to be very, very, very kind to take your pick: the Taco Bell counter person, the Walmart staff, anyone answering a phone etc.

I explain to them that they are easiest to abuse and therefore would love it if you're kind. I can't begin to tell you how their faces light up when I'm kind to them -- and I mean I'm extra kind. I'm trying to make up for everyone who is rude to them.

Personally I think the ones who are really rude to the "front desk people" have personality disorders. Others can disagree but I'm committed to this idea.

Alley

Customers get frustrated and blame the messenger. When I get frustrated, I do try to remain civil to the CSR and make it clear that I'm angry with the situation/policy/quality of the product/etc. rather than them personally.

Sometimes I do lose my cool and have to apologize for that. That happened several times during the various calls I had to make to the Covered California hotline earlier this year. I felt so bad for the CSR's handling that thankless job!

Intelligence or your number/type(s) of degree(s) has absolutely nothing to do with it. And I'm not sure if you meant it this way or not, but insinuating that you didn't deserve to be belittled because you are intelligent and have fancy degrees just contributes to the crappy mentality behind the crappy treatment you received.

Customers get frustrated and blame the messenger. When I get frustrated, I do try to remain civil to the CSR and make it clear that I'm angry with the situation/policy/quality of the product/etc. rather than them personally.

Sometimes I do lose my cool and have to apologize for that. That happened several times during the various calls I had to make to the Covered California hotline earlier this year. I felt so bad for the CSR's handling that thankless job!

The bolded, definitely. I've certainly had to call someplace because there's something wrong and I'm frustrated. I do the same thing--right upfront I tell the person handling my call that I am frustrated/upset, that I understand it's not their fault, but I am going to explain why I'm frustrated without beating around the bush. I'm never rude to the rep answering the call. People are just jerks sometimes.

It also probably doesn't help your cause. I mean, do you really think the rep is going to want to be on your side if you just light into them like your problem is their fault or if you treat them with less than respect? Probably not.

Who cares how smart or dumb you are? They should be treating you with respect even if you're dumb as a brick. People are jerks if they're mean to you because they think you're not smart. Being smart should not grant one special treatment. Being unsmart doesn't mean anyone deserves bad treatment.

They're dorks.

I'm assuming your post is a spin off the OPs, but..

smart= degree?

unsmart = no degree/lowly job?

I may be reading too much into your posts, and if so, I apologize!  But, if not, I have two words: social stigma.

People who mistreat people in service type jobs are insecure and trying to compensate for their own feelings of worthlessness. I feel sorry for them.

I was supervisor at a ticket office in college. I recall a few doozies but the one that stuck with me was when one of the ticket agents transferred an incredibly cantankerous woman to me. I resolved her issue in more or less the same way the ticket agent was trying to but she was derisive and mean towards the ticket agent and was extremely nice to me. I suppose she thought that the "supervisor" was somehow superior. She thanked me profusely and said that when I got off the call I should go "down to where they worked" and tell "that person" that she needed to use her brain. I was thinking "I'll be sure to pop my head over the cubicle wall and tell her to go ahead and take her lunch early because she had to deal with you and your bitchy self this morning."

I had a friend who was an electrician and had owned his own company at one time, he took a job with a school district because of the great benefits and he didn't want to deal with being an owner of a company anymore.  One day, he entered an elementary classroom to do some work, he tries to be quick and respectful of the teachers and get out quickly without much disruption.  While he was working, he heard the teacher at the front of the room tell the class something like "this is why you all need to go to college, so you don't have do have jobs like that" 

the ironic part was that he has a college degree and the very young teacher probably did not realize that he made twice what she did, yet she looked down on him. 

I had a friend who was an electrician and had owned his own company at one time, he took a job with a school district because of the great benefits and he didn't want to deal with being an owner of a company anymore.  One day, he entered an elementary classroom to do some work, he tries to be quick and respectful of the teachers and get out quickly without much disruption.  While he was working, he heard the teacher at the front of the room tell the class something like "this is why you all need to go to college, so you don't have do have jobs like that" 

the ironic part was that he has a college degree and the very young teacher probably did not realize that he made twice what she did, yet she looked down on him. 

We have a good friend who is an electrician, and he chose his profession because he wouldn't have any student loans, would make great money, and wanted to have a family friendly/low stress job.  His house and vehicles are paid off, and they have several rental homes, plenty of saving, and lots of toys and family time.  They are able to be very generous and giving in our church and community.  Seems like a pretty smart guy to me. ;)

I seem to sometimes make the opposite mistake:

I often talk to customer service people, trades' people, potentially ESL people etc... like they should be able to understand me in my 'natural vocabulary' and presupposing some sorts of probably-not-basic knowledge -- then I remember that that's not a very considerate way to communicate.

So I try to guess about someone's base knowledge and ability to follow a logical conversation -- and I guess 'talk down to them'. Hopefully not demeaning them, just trying to say it in a way that will make sense without needing too much of their brain power. Its the same as the way I teach kids, college, and grad students in different ways.

My MIL thinks I talk down to her... Of course I talk down to her. When I talk normally, she doesn't understand me!

Got any tips?

I had a friend who was an electrician and had owned his own company at one time, he took a job with a school district because of the great benefits and he didn't want to deal with being an owner of a company anymore. One day, he entered an elementary classroom to do some work, he tries to be quick and respectful of the teachers and get out quickly without much disruption. While he was working, he heard the teacher at the front of the room tell the class something like "this is why you all need to go to college, so you don't have do have jobs like that"

Yikes. That teacher was a piece of work.

In my teaching job, I sometimes answer phones. People are so rude to persons who answer the phone. Do they think that because you are answering the phone you are some lowly person with no education.

I also teach swimming. Some parents are incredibly condescending. I am very good at this job and like it. When I teach adults, I often explain physics. I do this because it really helps some of my adult beginners (significant numbers of foreign born engineers in my classes). However, a secondary effect is that it lets my adult students know I am "well-educated." The condescending behavior usually comes from parents of my younger students. I think they think an adult teaching swimming must be incapable of doing anything "more important." It happens that I think teaching swimming is important.

FTR my undergrad degree is in Chemistry, and I have two graduate degrees.

Rant off.

Yeah- try being a hairdresser. People assume we're idiots. If you (as in, rude customer) are so much smarter than I am, why are you paying me to wash and blow-dry your hair?

I had fun once with a chem major who was getting a perm. Once I exlained all of the chemistry invloved, different types of perms for types of hair, color theory, geometry of haircuts, and accounting to make sure my paycheck is correct, he was in awe! He was a nice guy, but had just always been led to believe that hairdressers weren't very smart.

:svengo:

Seriously- i WISH I had half the money my mechanic & plumber make off of us. And they get to set their own hours. Totally jealous!

Some people think that because they are paying you to do a job that means they are allowed to treat you like crap. It's along the same lines as people who say 'don't like how your boss treats you? Go get a different job. What's the big deal?" Some people think that because they are holding (part) of the purse strings that makes them the king.

Yeah- try being a hairdresser. People assume we're idiots. If you (as in, rude customer) are so much smarter than I am, why are you paying me to wash and blow-dry your hair?

I had fun once with a chem major who was getting a perm. Once I exlained all of the chemistry invloved, different types of perms for types of hair, color theory, geometry of haircuts, and accounting to make sure my paycheck is correct, he was in awe! He was a nice guy, but had just always been led to believe that hairdressers weren't very smart.

I'm just a lowly housewife, but dang, I can do some mean math during my day.  Ha!  I get a kick out of multiplying and dividing fractions to tweak recipes.  I'm one of those numbers type  of gals, so my approach to providing meals for my family (and in other homemaking areas) is a big numbers game.  I love it.   I actually make sure my family gets enough grams of protein each day (oh, this is so much more involved than meets the eye), and price comparing is one of my hobbies.   :p

I'm just a lowly housewife, but dang, I can do some mean math during my day.  Ha!  I get a kick out of multiplying and dividing fractions to tweak recipes.  I'm one of those numbers type  of gals, so my approach to providing meals for my family (and in other homemaking areas) is a big numbers game.  I love it.   I actually make sure my family gets enough grams of protein each day (oh, this is so much more involved than meets the eye), and price comparing is one of my hobbies.   :p

I have no recollection of not being able to do fractions, and I seriously think this is why. From the time I was a little child, my mother was always working with us in the kitchen and quizzing us on fractions. For example: This cookie recipe makes 2 dozen cookies, but we need 3 dozen. If it takes 2.5 cups of sugar originally, how much sugar do we need now? (I tried "let's make 4 dozen and eat the extra", but she didn't like that answer.)

I have no recollection of not being able to do fractions, and I seriously think this is why. From the time I was a little child, my mother was always working with us in the kitchen and quizzing us on fractions. For example: This cookie recipe makes 2 dozen cookies, but we need 3 dozen. If it takes 2.5 cups of sugar originally, how much sugar do we need now? (I tried "let's make 4 dozen and eat the extra", but she didn't like that answer.)

LOL!  Oh, your mom is awesome! She is seriously cool in my book.  :coolgleamA:

Because they are jerks.

BTW, your post sort of makes it sound like it's okay to be rude to someone working a lower-scale job if they can't do any better. I strongly doubt that's what you meant.

No that's not what I meant. The condescending is wrong for anyone. Many years ago when I was practicing law I used to get completely pissed off by another associate in my firm who was incredibly rude to staff. His tone of superiority was ridiculous and I did tell him so.

I have had this experience working service jobs as a student. The worst was when I worked in the cafeteria when I was in university, most of the workers were not students but it was actually the best paying part time job on campus.

An acquaintance came through the line and asked me how I was doing and her friend next to her said, "You don't have to talk to them." And the acquaintance said, "It's okay, I know her."  It made me feel really crappy. I learned that a lot of college students have major entitlement issues with that job.

No that's not what I meant. The condescending is wrong for anyone. Many years ago when I was practicing law I used to get completely pissed off by another associate in my firm who was incredibly rude to staff. His tone of superiority was ridiculous and I did tell him so.

And that's one of the reasons I didn't last long at a particular law firm. Firm culture was such that associates like that were celebrated for being "ambitious" and "assertive" when really they were just jerks. Oddly, most of the partners were polite and respectful to everybody; it was the lower-level lawyers who were subtly encouraged to be tools.

Why would anyone be rude to wait staff? These are people who are handling your food. It makes no sense.

No clue. I mean I don't think any wait staff has the right to spit in your food or anything, but doesn't it cross people's minds when they're yelling at the servers for no good reason? 

This post made me lol because I have noticed over the years that women become ENRAGED if their ex is going out with a hairdresser. "He left me for a HAIRDRESSER!" "His new squeeze is a HAIRDRESSER!" You are not kidding about how some people feel about hairdressers, lol.

That thinking always cracks me up, because, as a food server, I talk to a lot of different people and learn a lot of new things all the time. I am sure hairdressers are the same way. And I'm sure that women say, "He left me for a WAITRESS!" as though that is the tackiest thing ever. Whatever, if you are so shallow you think you have to be better than waitresses or hairdressers, you have real character issues that will cost you my full respect.

This post made me lol because I have noticed over the years that women become ENRAGED if their ex is going out with a hairdresser. "He left me for a HAIRDRESSER!" "His new squeeze is a HAIRDRESSER!" You are not kidding about how some people feel about hairdressers, lol.

That thinking always cracks me up, because, as a food server, I talk to a lot of different people and learn a lot of new things all the time. I am sure hairdressers are the same way. And I'm sure that women say, "He left me for a WAITRESS!" as though that is the tackiest thing ever. Whatever, if you are so shallow you think you have to be better than waitresses or hairdressers, you have real character issues that will cost you my full respect.

I never thought about this, but I've heard it too with the hairdressers. Never waitress. I'm sure it happens, but it's always been hairdresser for me, nothing else. And it's often from stay at home moms. Now as a stay at home mom I obviously don't think there's anything wrong with being one, but why is that inherently better than being a hairdresser? 

I went to William and Mary. Due to being located next to Colonial Williamsburg, I know a lot of people who worked in CW restaurants. If you worked up to waiter, the tips were extremely good. A couple of people I know had trouble leaving after graduation because they were making so much writing tables at The King's Arms that getting a "real" job (whatever our definition was back then) was a pay cut.

ETA I try not make assumptions about people based on their jobs. There are lots of reasons a person takes a certain job. The only thing that matters is that they do the job well.

There's a post on Pinterest that says "If the person is nice to you, but mean to the waiter, they're not a nice person."    Sometimes you have to put your foot down, but there's a difference between assertive and mean.

okay, now I have to counter my electrician story with a nice teacher story...

dh also works in the school system, but not as a teacher. One day he entered a classroom at a middle school, quickly checked what he needed to check and was making a quick exit. The teacher at the front of the room saw my husband's t-shirt (Harvard) and said to the class, "now that's what I'm talking about! Stay in school kids, and one day, you too can go to Harvard!"  and my husband answered back "that's right, your teacher is steering you straight!" and left.

Dh did not attend Harvard, but went to a state school.  We visited Harvard on a vacation, he has had many funny adventures while wearing his Harvard shirt.

I was an admin in the employment dept. of a big charity. I met "Christians" from all over the world trying to work with us. One of my duties was to cull the herd. Anyone who treated the receptionists rudely was basically in the "round file".  No matter what there qualifications were.  I saw that happen at the V.P. level too. Once I told my manager what the guy said and how he behaved in reception... he was not seen again.

The little people can have a lot of power.

It seems pretty stupid to insult someone with a sharp object in hand so close to your head.

I think generally the people that are mean to others, are mean to them, regardless of what the other person is doing for a job.  Some professions more than others are apt to get more grouchy customers. 

OP: I highly doubt most parents think that way about a swim instructor, I know I don't.  Maybe they think you're talking down to them and reacting to it?

I think generally the people that are mean to others, are mean to them, regardless of what the other person is doing for a job.  Some professions more than others are apt to get more grouchy customers. 

I'm sure this is true for many people but I've also met many people who seemed perfectly nice until I went out to eat with them or went shopping or something. I know people who are angels to everyone until they go to a restaurant and they're always rude to waiters. It's pretty strange to me.

I can't say I have been with anyone who was rude to the waiter in a restaurant just to be rude.  That seems really strange to me.  

I'm sure this is true for many people but I've also met many people who seemed perfectly nice until I went out to eat with them or went shopping or something. I know people who are angels to everyone until they go to a restaurant and they're always rude to waiters. It's pretty strange to me.

I can't say I have been with anyone who was rude to the waiter in a restaurant just to be rude.  That seems really strange to me.  

I don't think they're being rude just to be rude. I think they're rude to waiters because they look down on them, for whatever reason.

No, that is what I meant.  I guess I didn't communicate that very well.

I mean, if they are rude because the server is really rude, I can kind of see that, but being rude because you look down on them IS no reason in my book.

I don't think they're being rude just to be rude. I think they're rude to waiters because they look down on them, for whatever reason.

Pull a condescending parent aside.

"I bet you are wondering what I am teaching your ds / dd here. Let me explain the physics of my methodology to you. If physics is not your thing, don't worry, I can speak in plain English and explain it in simpler terms as well."

:lol:

OP: I highly doubt most parents think that way about a swim instructor, I know I don't. Maybe they think you're talking down to them and reacting to it?

Um no.

Generally, I have very little if any time to speak to parents. My lessons are scheduled back to back with no break. The parents are told if they need to talk to instructors they have to leave a note or they can talk to the aquatics director. No one leaves a note for me to call them. So, usually what happens is people stop me between lessons and I do try to address questions quickly. And yes, when people do this many clearly have a tone of superiority.

Despite the lack of time, I usually attempt to find a chance to address parents at some point during a 6 or 7 session group of lessons. Most parents are very nice, but there's always someone who is rather condescending.

I live in a high COL area, where everyone has a child who is the best. I suspect some people are so stressed from demands at work they might attempt to have power over people they deal outside of work. I suspect some people try push teachers, coaches, instructors around to get there child some hire level of this or that. I don't bend to that kind of pushing even though I get it all the time. I don't move kids up until I've seen requisite skills consistently. This angers some parents.

I've had this job a while. I know how to treat people in a professional manner and I do treat them that way. I know I am not talking down to parents.