Menu

Drinking more water- probably a silly question

DragonFaerie

I know people are supposed to drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water each day, and I am trying to drink more, but I don't like plain ice water.  Does it still "count" if I add Crystal Light to it?  What about "flavored" waters like Vitamin Water?  Or iced tea (sweet)?  Or does it just have to be plain old boring water to "count"?

Mayo Clinic has a good article on fluid intake. I'd provide the link if I weren't on my phone. IIRC they say an average woman needs about nine cups of fluid per day. Note the use of fluid and not specifically water. They say everything counts. And of course you may need more fluid if you're more active, it's very hot, etc.

I do still drink a couple of sodas a day, but I also drink tea and milk in addition to the water.  In fact, I pretty much have something to drink in my hand all day every day.  So, I know I'm getting plenty of fluids.  I'm just trying to make it more of the "right" kinds of fluids.  But plain water is icky. :D  I've even tried a few varieties of infused waters, but they just don't add enough flavor.  It's still just water.  :ack2:

Mayo Clinic has a good article on fluid intake. I'd provide the link if I weren't on my phone. IIRC they say an average woman needs about nine cups of fluid per day. Note the use of fluid and not specifically water. They say everything counts. And of course you may need more fluid if you're more active, it's very hot, etc.

Yay!  This is good!  I'm off to search the article now.  Thanks!

Does this mean I might not be cheating??? :eek:

I don't know if I should be happy about it, or if it kind of takes the fun out of it. ;)

I put a squirt of lemon or lime in my water.  It is hard to keep the real fruit around here so I just use the bottled stuff.  Found by adding a little or either I will drink more water.

(says the person drinking a mt dew right now  :blushing: )

I've tried that, but I still didn't like it.  So far today, I've had 20 ounces of ice water and 20 ounces of water with Crystal Light.  Oh, and a medium 1/2 and 1/2 tea at Chick-fil-a at lunch.  Now I'm off to get a diet Dr. Pepper. And it's just shy of 5:00 so I'll still drink plenty more before bed.  It just won't like be plain water. :D

I buy those big bags of frozen fruit that are intended for smoothies at Costco and then I put some in a huge pitcher of water and leave it in my fridge overnight and then we drink it the next day, I also put mint in it sometimes. I think it just needs to infuse for awhile so the flavors are noticeable.

Cucumber is also nice in water.

I've recently found True Lime and True Lemon to add to water. It is crystallized lime/lemon that comes in little packets.

My family LOVES True Lemon and True Lime.  We also do not like to taste of plain water. These little packets are a huge hit with the whole family.  In fact last time we ordered my daughter convinced me to buy the 500 pack.  We just go through the 100 packs too fast.

http://www.truelemon.com

Well...

I drink what feels like a LOT of water everyday.  In reality, it's about 80 oz per day.

Occasionally I will replace one 16 oz glass of water with a 12 oz glass of cherry juice.  I also don't generally order water when we go out to eat - I drink only filtered water at home, so I can't guarantee that I'll like the water I'm served at a restaurant.  So I order lemonade, either regular or flavored, when we go out.

But most of the time, it's straight up water.  

I would say that you can probably drink some other things - soda and whatnot - and it'll be fine.  But I wouldn't think that fully replacing your water intake with something else would be okay.  Not even half of it, probably.  

But that's just me.  I have no medical reason for thinking that - just my own personal thoughts.  :)

I've recently found True Lime and True Lemon to add to water. It is crystallized lime/lemon that comes in little packets.

My family LOVES True Lemon and True Lime.  We also do not like to taste of plain water. These little packets are a huge hit with the whole family.  In fact last time we ordered my daughter convinced me to buy the 500 pack.  We just go through the 100 packs too fast.

Thanks for the info -- my dh drinks a lot of water and I think he will like this stuff! :)

Are the true lemon packets plastic? I don't really want to use something with a ton of plastic packets so I wanted to check.

I don't know about the plastic, but I just visited the website and noticed that some of the varieties include stevia, so if you want the unsweetened kind (like my dh will want,) you have to make sure to read the boxes.

Another fun way to get water if you like fizzy drinks is to drink seltzer water.  Our store carries all kinds of flavors, lemon-lime, raspberry, plain, etc.  They have no added sugar or sweeteners and very little sodium. 

Technically you should try to consume 1/2 of your body weight, in ounces (with a max of 100oz, regardless of your weight).

140 lb person should consume 70oz of pure filtered water.

The consideration with "everything counts" is that some things (sugar, alcohol, caffeine) are actually diuretics. For each oz of diuretic you should consume an ADDITIONAL 1 1/2 oz of water.

I am a nutritional therapist.

Sugary drinks don't count as they take the water. 2dd coach only allowed them water.

Tea has caffeine - a diruretic.

Fruit juice has sugar.

You can cheat all you want - but it won't keep you hydrated.

I'm a cheater. I count everything.

I've heard you shouldn't count caffeinated drinks, though, because they have diuretic properties.

But like I said. I'm a cheater, so I count them anyway. (And I still don't drink enough! :blush:)

The consideration with "everything counts" is that some things (sugar, alcohol, caffeine) are actually diuretics. For each oz of diuretic you should consume an ADDITIONAL 1 1/2 oz of water.

Since I rather eat watermelon than drink water, how much less water can I get away with if I eat one mini watermelon that is typically sold in grocers?

Technically you should try to consume 1/2 of your body weight, in ounces (with a max of 100oz, regardless of your weight).

Ugh!  I don't think there is any way I can drink that much plain ol' water.  And I'm sure I can't drink that much water PLUS additional water for anything else I drink.  *sigh*  Now it seems hopeless.

I enjoy fruit infusions. I'll take a big pitcher of water and throw in cut up citrus fruit, a fresh pineapple core, frozen strawberries, and a little stevia and then let it sit in the fridge over night. It makes a very nice flavored water. I just keep a big glass filled up with ice and then keep filling it with fruit water throughout the day and take sips. If I'm lazy, or don't have fruit, then I'll just put fresh mint leaves in water with a little stevia and refrigerate over night.

From the link above...

Coffee and tea also count in your tally. Many used to believe that they were dehydrating, but that myth has been debunked. The diuretic effect does not offset hydration.

Alcohol is a huge dehydrator, says White. You should try to limit your intake, but if you are going to raise a glass, aim for at least a one-to-one ratio with water.

So  how is it that they determine that the diuretic effect of coffee and tea is a non issue but the diuretic effect of alcohol is? Makes no sense at all. I call BS.

If you are having trouble consuming enough water I have a couple of tips. First start early. Have a glass of water upon rising, before coffee or tea. Then keep refilling. Take water everywhere. Sip all day don't chug. Realizing that you are behind in your consumption and chugging a full glass at bedtime is not as big of a help as one might think. Slow and steady wins the race and keep you out of the rest room :-)
 Finally, add a few tiny chunks of good sea salt (minerals and electrolytes) and a squeeze of lemon, lime, orange, sliced fruit, frozen berries, mint, cucumber whatever you have on hand.

Mentally measure our how much your need to take in per day and split it in half. By mid day you should have hit your mark...if not step up your game.  If you are not a big water drinker start with a lower amount and get used to it, then start increasing. 

"Diuretic" and "dehydrating" are different.

"Diuretic" I think, means that it causes the bladder to feel the need to release frequently or urgently -- before it reaches capacity... It goes "through faster".

"Dehydrating" has to do with cells.

All water goes through -- fast or slow makes little difference. If it leaves the cells at the same hydration level, it's not dehydrating. If it requires cells to contribute water in order to flush it out, it is dehydrating.

I had trouble drinking water until I found I accept warm/hot water better than cold/tepid water. In the winter I drink more herbal tea (no caffeine, I love chamomile and mint teas). In the summer I just heat the water and drink it. 

Sounds weird, but if that's they only way I'll drink it...;)

Mentally measure our how much your need to take in per day and split it in half. By mid day you should have hit your mark...if not step up your game.  If you are not a big water drinker start with a lower amount and get used to it, then start increasing. 

This is what I'm doing.  I started with four cups per day.  Now I've increased to five.  I try to drink water first, then something else with lunch (usually milk or soda), followed by more water.  I try to be finished with my water by mid afternoon because I know I'll want tea and sodas in the evening (caffeine at bedtime is not an issue for me).  But, I'm finding by afternoon, I just don't want plain water anymore.  That's why I was hoping I could count Crystal Light.

Another fun way to get water if you like fizzy drinks is to drink seltzer water.  Our store carries all kinds of flavors, lemon-lime, raspberry, plain, etc.  They have no added sugar or sweeteners and very little sodium. 

This is how I get a lot of my water in. I love seltzer. I usually buy whatever brand is on sale, but Polar seltzer comes out with really yummy summer flavors this time of year. Blueberry lemonade, cucumber melon are my summer treats, there's a sangria one I haven't tried yet and a few other summer ones too that sound tasty.

I will buy bottles of lemon juice and add a little bit of that to my water which is delicious too. 

My dad used to not like the taste of water because he always drank diet coke, coffee, juice, milk. Finally he gave all those up and just drank water. It took several weeks, but he eventually learned to like the taste of water.

I'm just curious- for those who don't like the taste of water, is it city water, well water, bottled water?? I just can't imagine not being able to drink water, though I do go through phases of only being able to drink iced water or really cold water or tepid water...

Ugh!  I don't think there is any way I can drink that much plain ol' water.  And I'm sure I can't drink that much water PLUS additional water for anything else I drink.  *sigh*  Now it seems hopeless.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Depending on what you read, the recommendations vary quite a bit anyway. One source will tell you to drink lots and lots of water, and another will tell you that if you drink too much water, you'll flush vitamins and nutrients out of your system. Some sources tell you it's OK to drink with meals, while others will say it's not good for your digestion. One source says to only count water and others say anything liquid counts. I'm not convinced that anyone really knows for sure.

Ultimately, I think what's important is how you're feeling. If you feel better when you drink a lot of water, go for it. If the only thing you're feeling when you drink a lot is that you have to know where every single rest room is, everywhere you go, that might be a sign that you can cut back a little. ;)

From the link above...

Coffee and tea also count in your tally. Many used to believe that they were dehydrating, but that myth has been debunked. The diuretic effect does not offset hydration.

Alcohol is a huge dehydrator, says White. You should try to limit your intake, but if you are going to raise a glass, aim for at least a one-to-one ratio with water.

So  how is it that they determine that the diuretic effect of coffee and tea is a non issue but the diuretic effect of alcohol is? Makes no sense at all.      I call BS

Have a glass of water upon rising,

:iagree:

if you drink water first thing in the morning (one or even two glasses is recommended), your kidneys will thank you and they will do a much more efficient and effective job of starting to work for the day.

another way to tell if you are drinking enough is the color of your urine. 

eta: I've found I will often have hunger pangs - not because I'm hungry, but because I'm thirsty.  same for fatigue - I feel tired, but I really just need to drink.  and the headaches due to not being properly hydrated . . yech.  I rarely get them anymore.

as for how water tastes . . .  I know there are places with horrid tasting water, and when visiting mil before she moved here - I *had* to add something to it to make it palatable.  (I think that was how I got started on lemons in my water.  in restaurants, I'd ask for lemons as we rarely order anything to drink but water.)  she got a filter, and that made a huge difference in the flavor of the plain water.

brita makes a good pitcher or even one you can put in your fridge if you like cold water (I don't like ice water, it's too cold.). 

so - get a filter, it can be well worth the money.

We've had filters in the past (in another home). We had old galvanized pipes and the filter didn't get rid of all the pieces of pipe. We tried a filter directly on the faucet and the Brita pitchers. We were bad about keeping up with changing/cleaning the filters and frankly I get annoyed with having to store the Brita pitcher somewhere. :leaving:  Eventually we'll get a fridge with a built-in water dispenser.

we have a one year old fridge with a filter - we've found the brita does a better job filtering than the fridge filter.  dh went online and bought a 'case' of filters, (which does lower the per filter cost) and we just go down to the basement when we need a new filter. it lowers the hassle factor.

there are also filters than can be placed on the kitchen faucet.  even if you have a couple layers of filter (i.e. faucet into filtered pitcher) it can improve the worst water.

(we're not sure where the worst was.  san diego was pretty bad, but dh insists florida's was worse.  though where our friends were in chico the water wasn't safe to drink from all the farming.)

I will just add a couple of final thoughts on the topic.

Dehydration is the state of being out of balance in boldly fluids.

A diuretic uses more water in processing than it contributes, caffeine, sugar and alcohol are all diuretic. 

There is really no ONE answer, we are all individuals and the way our body uses and recycles water is unique to each of us. Our diet has a lot to do with our water needs as well. A person who eats more fresh foods, fruits and veggies, is taking in water with the foods that they eat. A diet of highly processed foods typically equates to a lot of dry types of foods, requiring more water to digest. I posted before that the rule of thumb is 1/2 your body weight in ounces but of course that is not going to be critical for everyone. Dehydration is very common and most of us are probably not consuming enough water.  We can go a long way in supporting all of our bodily functions by simply increasing our overall consumption. To the exact recommended ounce every day? Maybe not. But I would bet that if, most of you who are discussing this and concerned that you are not drinking enough water, start increasing your intake you will find that you feel better.

I also agree that most people in this world do not have the ability to drink the amount of fresh clean water that they need. Just know that many do/ or will at some point, suffer the consequences of chronic dehydration. Keep in mind that they are probably not consuming the level of caffeine, sugar and alcohol that the typical American/ modernized culture is. Nor as many processed foods out of their natural state.

The human body is 55-60% water, about 10-13 gallons. A deficiency of only 2% will cause fatigue. A drop of up to 10% will have a negative impact on several body systems including digestion, cardiovascular, immune and musculoskeletal. Early signs of dehydration include: fatigue, anxiety, depression, irritability, cravings, cramps and headaches. More chronic symptoms include: heart burn, back pain, joint pain, migraine, and constipation. 

But again, everyone needs to listen to their own body and do what makes them feel their best...which may very well be different from the next person.

when you drink ice water your body has to use energy to warm it up. Better to drink room temp. water.

The amount of energy it takes to warm a cup of ice water to room temperature is 5 Calories. That's negligible.

(And then, most of us have energy, i.e. calories, to spare... sadly, drinking ice water is not an effective weight loss tool)

Thanks for all the replies!  This has all been very helpful.  My problem with water is not the taste of the local water (or in restaurants or whatever).  I just don't like plain water.  It's boring. :D

I think, as with almost everything else in life, I will go with a happy medium.  I am certainly taking in plenty of fluids overall (tea, milk, and soda included), so I am not worried about being dehydrated.  I think if I can drink 20 ounces of plain water, then I will have no problem "counting" Crystal Light or Vitamin Water for the other 20+ ounces of water each day.

So  how is it that they determine that the diuretic effect of coffee and tea is a non issue but the diuretic effect of alcohol is? Makes no sense at all. I call BS.

It's not BS at all. Catabolizing alcohol requires a large amount of water. It's one of the reasons you get a hangover if you drink too much - it's a dehydration headache. The diuretic effect of caffeine pales in comparison to the dehydrating nature of alcohol metabolism. Most caffeinated beverages contain more than enough water to make up for the small diuretic effect. Alcoholic beverages generally do not contain enough water to make up for the amount of a water that will be used "burning" the alcohol.

Okay, I'm a contrarian on this issue, and I recognize that about myself. But stop and ask yourself this: do you have a specific medical reason to believe that YOUR body's thirst mechanism is malfunctioning, and therefore you must force yourself to drink fluids even when you don't want to? Have you gotten results of blood work or urinalysis that led you to believe you were chronically dehydrated? If not, there is no reason for you to start forcing fluids. To me, this notion that everyone should be downing more water than they want is every bit as silly as the notion that we should all force ourselves to breathe more rapidly when at rest to make sure we get "enough" oxygen. Trust your body to tell you when it is thirsty, just like you trust it to tell you when to breathe. You'll be fine.

I'm very opinionated about this because my grandmother once ended up in the hospital from drinking too much water. Her potassium and sodium levels had gotten so low that she passed out. Athletes have also DIED from drinking too much water during competitions or training. I don't know why our country has gotten so water crazy, but I think it's, well, CRAZY.

It's not BS at all. Catabolizing alcohol requires a large amount of water. It's one of the reasons you get a hangover if you drink too much - it's a dehydration headache. The diuretic effect of caffeine pales in comparison to the dehydrating nature of alcohol metabolism. Most caffeinated beverages contain more than enough water to make up for the small diuretic effect. Alcoholic beverages generally do not contain enough water to make up for the amount of a water that will be used "burning" the alcohol.

Okay, I'm a contrarian on this issue, and I recognize that about myself. But stop and ask yourself this: do you have a specific medical reason to believe that YOUR body's thirst mechanism is malfunctioning, and therefore you must force yourself to drink fluids even when you don't want to? Have you gotten results of blood work or urinalysis that led you to believe you were chronically dehydrated? If not, there is no reason for you to start forcing fluids. To me, this notion that everyone should be downing more water than they want is every bit as silly as the notion that we should all force ourselves to breathe more rapidly when at rest to make sure we get "enough" oxygen. Trust your body to tell you when it is thirsty, just like you trust it to tell you when to breathe. You'll be fine.

I'm very opinionated about this because my grandmother once ended up in the hospital from drinking too much water. Her potassium and sodium levels had gotten so low that she passed out. Athletes have also DIED from drinking too much water during competitions or training. I don't know why our country has gotten so water crazy, but I think it's, well, CRAZY.

No, I actually feel just fine.  I'm just trying to drink more water because......well....... because you're supposed to drink more water.  LOL... 

No, I actually feel just fine. I'm just trying to drink more water because......well....... because you're supposed to drink more water. LOL...

:lol: I understand. It IS what we're all told to do.

In my first post, though, I should have said that my advice is based on an assumption that you are not surviving on sodas. I don't think you have to drink huge amounts of pure water, but it shouldn't be soda either. I drink a lot of decaffeinated tea, and sparkling water with a dash of bitters and a bit of lemon or lime juice. Those are my main sources of fluids. I drink some caffeine too, but it have to limit it - not because it dehydrates me, but because it makes me nervous.

My family LOVES True Lemon and True Lime. We also do not like to taste of plain water. These little packets are a huge hit with the whole family. In fact last time we ordered my daughter convinced me to buy the 500 pack. We just go through the 100 packs too fast.

Can this be found in supermarkets or do you have to order it online?

It should be 1oz to 1lb of your weight.

I do not count crystal light given the artificial stuff in it. Try a slice of lemon - no sugar.

That doesn't sound right. At 150lb, I am supposed to drink 18+ glasses of water a day?

This is still more than I manage to drink, but it's closer to what I thought!

From the link above...

So how is it that they determine that the diuretic effect of coffee and tea is a non issue but the diuretic effect of alcohol is? Makes no sense at all. I call BS.

If you are having trouble consuming enough water I have a couple of tips. First start early. Have a glass of water upon rising, before coffee or tea. Then keep refilling. Take water everywhere. Sip all day don't chug. Realizing that you are behind in your consumption and chugging a full glass at bedtime is not as big of a help as one might think. Slow and steady wins the race and keep you out of the rest room :-)

Finally, add a few tiny chunks of good sea salt (minerals and electrolytes) and a squeeze of lemon, lime, orange, sliced fruit, frozen berries, mint, cucumber whatever you have on hand.

Mentally measure our how much your need to take in per day and split it in half. By mid day you should have hit your mark...if not step up your game. If you are not a big water drinker start with a lower amount and get used to it, then start increasing.

Well, I start and end my day with tea. I drink it all day long. I rarely drink plain water. Maybe 20 oz. per day.

My parents do the same with coffee.

We wake up fine.

One evening with an overindulgence of alcohol can produce nasty effects on the body due to dehydration. Alcohol and caffeine are not the same.