Menu

What role does your DH (or SO) have in your homeschool?

DH & I were talking & I mentioned that I wanted him to have a bigger "presence" in our homeschool. He asked for specifics & I had a hard time coming up with any.

He's very supportive of our decision to homeschool & we're happy with how things are going, but some times I feel like I'm driving the bus & he's just along for the ride (part of this is because he's very easy going by nature and I'm very type A). I'm a research addict and I don't really need "help" planning things but I'd prefer to have him oversee things a little more, I guess. I imagine it will be easier for him to have more input as the kids get older and things get more complicated.

Maybe I just need to keep him in the loop a little more. I don't really keep him keep him up to date on the little stuff so when something bigger comes along I have to catch him up and that's annoying to both of us.

IMO most husbands would rather hand the reins over to mom and then do other stuff with the kids.  My dh teaches my son programming, and he talks to them about philosophy and worldview, on a natural basis after church, during movies, during TV shows.

When I talk to him about homeschool his eyes glaze over.  Really, why bore the man?  Be glad that he's not controlling.  LOL

My husband makes it very clear what the outcome needs to be (college ready) and he backs me up as my supporter when the kids disrespect me, and he is a great dad in every way.  So I feel like my role is easy.  The times in which I have asked him to weigh in heavily into curriculum shopping it went south quickly because I disagreed with half of what he thought looked great, and then he wondered why I asked.  As far as asking him to do actual teaching of regular homeschool subjects, I don't think that's fair because he works 50 hours per week outside the home.  

Anyway, that's what has worked for us.  Oh- one piece of advice I DO have- if your dh has a passion and wants to do that with hte kids (sports, racing go karts, whatever) then MAKE TIME for it.  OUr homeschool plans and schedules can easily take over the kids ENTIRE lives and then dad feels like he is on hte sidelines.  

:o)

Well, not sure I'll be helpful because I'm sure we're atypical. DH was a SAHD and primary homeschooling parent until DD was 6. He mostly took an unschooling approach, but they went on tons of field trips and had lots of fun.

Now, DH and I both work full time, and we both have odd and flexible schedules. I'm the primary homeschooling parent now, but I do all the typically "schooly" things. I do all the research and school teaching. But, I also do fun, artsy crafty things too.

He still teaches her lots of stuff, but it's still definitely more life skills or unschooling approach. He's our family chef so he's teaching her cooking. He does the bulk of the household chores, and he's teaching her those skills. He does all kinds of fun outdoorsy active and science things with her. But, it's all interest-led. He takes time off of work to go on field trips that I arrange, and he drops her off at all of her activities.

Basically, we are both heavily involved just in very different ways.

Mr. Ellie went to work and brought home the paycheck so I could stay home with the children. He trusted me to do what was best for our children, and if that meant homeschooling, then he figured I knew best, because I was the one who was with them all day long. He never complained if there were art projects on the kitchen table, or if the house wasn't as tidy as it might have been because we had been playing in the tidepools all day. He was happy to visit all 21 California missions for a California history field trip instead of an actual vacation. :-) He never, ever complained when I bought all kinds of homeschooling materials and stuff, or went to Moms' Night Out, or helped organize conventions.

I did not expect him to help teach anything academic. I don't know how that would have been possible since he was gone all day. I didn't expect him to help choose instructional materials, because I was the one who was teaching, not he (although he did listen patiently as I droned on about the relative merits of KONOS versus the Weaver, lol). I don't know how I could have expected him to "oversee" anything. He left the house early in the morning before we were up, and he arrived home after being gone upwards of 10 hours (8+ hours of work plus travel time). Why would I even have needed him to "oversee" anything? :huh:

My dh glazes over too with any curriculum/education talk.  He trusts me to choose wisely and do my best.  He has been very enthusiastic about computer related stuff and gotten the kids started on some things.  But when the interest faded he didn't push at all, but he's ready if the interest comes about again.  

When I took him to convention he wanted to buy things I absolutely had no interest in teaching.  But if I wanted him to teach something he would step up.  I think letting this be my 'job' without his constant opinion is why it works.  He has his job, I have mine.  And if I need help I know he would.  

So for us, dh has very little involvement.  He's the provider and dad and my husband.  Right now we don't need another teacher for academics. 

My dh is supportive of homeschooling.  If I give him very specific directions and he's not otherwise busy, he'll help (on rare occasions--ie go over these flashcards three times.  He is completely uninterested in curricula.  He pays the bills and doesn't complain about expensive curricula, although I'd like for him to at least listen to me talk about curricula.  Oh well!  It's sort of like when he starts going on and on about what financial this or that we should invest in.  I trust him to do the research about those decisions, and agonize over it, and give me a Cliff's Notes version of it.  He writes out all the bills.  I really can't complain.

My DH takes care of the high school science labs and math beyond single variable calculus.

Other than that, I keep him informed about the research I have done, tell him what materials I have selected and what course progression I am planning, but he is not actively teaching anything. I keep him updated about our kids' progress.

We have division of labor. This is one area that is my responsibility, and he is happy to assist when I have specific needs. But overall, I am doing the homeschooling, and he trusts me that I make good decisions.

Why would I even have needed him to "oversee" anything?

I guess the "overseeing" in my mind means having someone to bounce ideas (and concerns) off of, not him "approving" every little decision. I guess I kind of see it as a teacher/principal (superintendent?) relationship. I don't need or expect him to teach anything (he, too, works long hours). He does a fair amount of interest-led science (rockets, magnets, electricity)

1) He funds it :-)

2) He champions it (aka: talks me off of ledges)

3) He is an engaged parent- his schedule is such that he's often in and out of the house during our school day. If he sees a discipline problem, he will either engage in the moment, or set up a system of accountability for that child without me having to initiate the intervention.

4) He gives opinions on big decisions. He will help me think through big themes of parenting our kids as they relate to homeschooling.

What he doesn't do:

1) Teach

2) Discuss curricula or teaching philosophies with me (he will listen, but I've given up on him actually having an opinion).

DH does enjoy talking education in general with me, but he too (like most dads, it seems) glazes over with curriculum talk. He also yells me down when I start to second guess one decision in favor of another (I'm infamous for it, lol) :P

My DH is not interested in the nitty-gritty of our HS day, but likes hearing about progress.  He hands over the credit card whenever I claim education expenses.  :-) 

His active involvement is in teaching reading in French and read-alouds in French, and  he has also begun German with them. 

He also does a lot of field trips with the kids on the weekends as part of his own geology hobby, and those are very enriching. 

My DH will teach a Math lesson on Sunday when I'm tired. He is also good to throw up a math problem on the board on Saturday, based on something he's had during the week or something he thinks the boys should try and works through it with them. 

We both work, and much of the curriculum money comes from what I earn, but he does help me to avoid buying too much.

I think his biggest support is just not treating me like teacher and mom all the time. He is very good to commiserate with me when I'm having a tough day, as I commiserate when he's had a tough day at work. 

He does help when I have a curriculum question, but more by allowing me to talk it through, rather than by advising me one way or the other. I've come to appreciate that, because I've always been the kind of person who tends to want to solve problems immediately rather than taking the time to mull them over first. 

He's the primary breadwinner, and I fund our homeschooling and some household expenses from my paid gigs.  

If there any big changes, we discuss it.  In late December I run the general plans for the next year by him before I put down deposits, but the details really don't interest him.  He wants to see the test scores including college testing scores every year.

That's been it for over a decade, and we're happy with the situation.  

DH & I were talking & I mentioned that I wanted him to have a bigger "presence" in our homeschool. He asked for specifics & I had a hard time coming up with any.

He's very supportive of our decision to homeschool & we're happy with how things are going, but some times I feel like I'm driving the bus & he's just along for the ride (part of this is because he's very easy going by nature and I'm very type A). I'm a research addict and I don't really need "help" planning things but I'd prefer to have him oversee things a little more, I guess. I imagine it will be easier for him to have more input as the kids get older and things get more complicated.

Maybe I just need to keep him in the loop a little more. I don't really keep him keep him up to date on the little stuff so when something bigger comes along I have to catch him up and that's annoying to both of us.

Bounce things off of us.  THat's what this forum is for!  Spend time watching fun stuff, going for walks, take your dh out on a date night and look at funny comics together or beautiful picture books at B&N, have a glass of wine and some chocolate, ask about his day and have S*x with him.  He doesn't want to bounce homeschooling thoughts around.  Trust me.  After 9 years of homeschooling I can assure you there are better ways to spend your husband/wife time.

:leaving:   sorry to be so blunt.  :laugh:

I guess the "overseeing" in my mind means having someone to bounce ideas (and concerns) off of, not him "approving" every little decision. I guess I kind of see it as a teacher/principal (superintendent?) relationship. I don't need or expect him to teach anything (he, too, works long hours). He does a fair amount of interest-led science (rockets, magnets, electricity)

It isn't a teacher/principal relationship. It's a mother/father relationship. You don't have students; you have children. You aren't the teacher; you're the mother. He isn't the principal; he's the father.

Bounce your ideas off him if you want, because that's what parents do :-) but really, *we're* your best resource for doing that.

Mr. Twain is very involved in our homeschool. Like your dh, he works long hours and is not able to teach much. However, he is off two mornings per week and teaches math on those days. He enjoys giving lectures over breakfast, writing things on the white board while the kids are eating their cereal. He certainly has his own style!

He is not interested in going to a convention or researching anything about homeschool. He is a big picture person and likes to talk about goals and long-range plans. Those are mostly the things I discuss with Mr. Twain. I do the research and choose the specific programs to meet our goals.

I often give him updates about how all our subjects are going and show him examples of the kids' work. There have been quite a few times when he has noticed a deficiency in something we are doing and has recommended we make a change or an addition to our curriculum. His ideas in this regard have been invaluable in improving our academic program. Perhaps this is the area you need to work on as you have already mentioned.

For an example, Mr. Twain and I had been discussing my difficulty in teaching science, despite the fact that both he and I have careers in the science field. Finally one day he heard the kids say that they hated science. He said that we needed a complete revamp of our science plan. After some researching, we threw out the old program and started a few new things. The result is that science has vastly improved.

I write all of that just to say that Mr. Twain can often see things that I can't, probably because he has the big picture in mind and is not distracted by the daily details. I recommend keeping your dh in the loop with everything you do and seeking his advice. Two heads can be better than one.

My husband isn't involved much in the day-to-day. BUT I do tend to do a lot of second-guessing, and want assurance that I'm on the right track. No matter how many times he assures me that he trusts me in this, I want him to approve what I'm doing, so I always tell him and give him the opportunity to look over curricula before I buy. He listens to what I have to say, but rarely actually looks at it unless I hand it to him and say, "Look at this now, please."

We've pretty well agreed that I'll do all the research. If there's anything I'm uncertain on, I'll present him the options and the pros/cons. He'll ask any questions he needs to in order to be confident that he's got all the necessary information, and then he'll tell me what to do--if he can tell I'm leaning toward one option, even though another looks pretty good too and he may actually prefer it, he almost always tells me to do what I'm leaning toward, because I'll be the one teaching it, and if I feel an affinity for it, there's a reason, even if I don't know what that reason is. (And, yes, I prefer for him to tell me what to do when I'm waffling, because I'll waffle for months if he doesn't.)

He knows that I expect him to be much more involved in math and science curriculum choices when our daughter is ready for formal instruction in those subjects. He's an engineer by trade--math and science matter to him, and he has a much stronger background in those subjects than I do. And if our daughter turns out to be really good at math, he'll probably end up teaching that to her once her abilities outgrow mine.

And he doesn't know it yet, but unless we become part of a co-op that handles lab science, he'll be doing that, too ... at least the dissection ones :D

He helps with math and physics. If DD and I cannot figure out the answer using the solutions manual, then we ask DH to explain when he gets home from work.

He is usally pretty hands-off when it comes to curricula, but when he has a preference, I try to oblige him. If it's a program that I don't want to use, I will ask him what specifically he likes about it and see if I can find an alternative that fits the same criteria. For example, he really wanted me to use Singapore math but when I first started HSing, I didn't feel confident enough to teach it. So I explained to DH that Right Start was based on the Asian way of teaching math but had a scripted TM that I could use. Later on, I did switch to Singapore.

I can understand where you are coming from. I had very similar feelings six months ago. I found a recommendation here on the boards that really helped things in our house. DH is a very busy resident at the hospital so he doesn't see the kids often. However, we can usually find an hour or two, once a month (usually on Saturday) that he can sit down and do a "special Saturday homeschool with Dad." We actually mark it on the calendar and the kids really look forward to it. I prepare a few basic things for him to do with the kids and he looks over it the night before. I don't give him an entire homeschool day of work but I do cover the basics of math, grammar, reading, writing, etc. It has been extremely successful for everyone in our family and I feel that DH is much more connected to our homeschool. Since we only do it once a month, he is really able to see their progress. 

I know what you mean, Jenna.  It seems like since this is their father, he should be, if not AS involved, then pretty involved in his kids' education.  

I always thought it was just us.  He tends to tell me, "Hey, you're the {certified} teacher, you know more about this stuff than I."  

For years I've tried to get him to understand that simple experience has taught me far more than my college program ever did, but I've given up.  That is just not the type of involvement he wants to have.  

He just wants to be Dad.  Tell him the high points so he can brag, let him know what we're studying so he has discussion lead-ins, let him know if big-picture stuff changes.  But otherwise, he's happier just handing it off to me. 

Bounce things off of us.  THat's what this forum is for!  Spend time watching fun stuff, going for walks, take your dh out on a date night and look at funny comics together or beautiful picture books at B&N, have a glass of wine and some chocolate, ask about his day and have S*x with him.  He doesn't want to bounce homeschooling thoughts around.  Trust me.  After 9 years of homeschooling I can assure you there are better ways to spend your husband/wife time.

I wish I could like this a thousand times! I think I'll write this in my homeschool planner as a reminder. :D

It isn't a teacher/principal relationship. It's a mother/father relationship. You don't have students; you have children. You aren't the teacher; you're the mother. He isn't the principal; he's the father.

Bounce your ideas off him if you want, because that's what parents do :-) but really, *we're* your best resource for doing that.

Exactly what I needed to hear! :wub:  Thanks for putting it in perspective, Ellie.  

Mine has a bit of a different position in that he isn't the biological father of the kids. So while he is supportive, and has no problem listening to me agonize over which this or that to choose - he tends to defer to my judgment for the most part.

The best and most valuable asset he brings to the table is his ability to let me vent, reassure me, and remind me that this is best for the kids. Particularly on the Chase The Bus Days lol. He has no problem financing anything we decide is going to be valuable for the kids, and doesn't mind the days when he walks in the door and I immediately grab the keys and go hang with some friends to blow off steam.

When I am feeling guilty for not having a paying job - he reminds me of all the things I am doing right now and the value of those things. Also a great asset.

I agree with the quotes you snipped above.  I'm also a type a planner and my husband is also very laid back, so I know where you are coming from.  He likes to have the boys tell him something they learned every day at dinner, and he's supportive financially and emotionally in my homeschooling endeavors.  But he's really not that interested in the details and he's not going to have many opinions when I try to bounce things off of him.  "Whatever you think is best." comes out a lot. :/

Really think about it, though.  If your DH had strong opinions they might be different than yours!  Lol, I used to feel the way you do but in the end I'm happy to have DH smile and nod and only step in when I get truly crazy.  And I only ask his opinion these days if I'm truly upset.  A few weeks ago, "Do you think I made a mistake starting DS5 in kindergarten right after he turned 5? Should I have held him back a year?"  "No, you had really good reasons to start.  Your reasons were A, B, and C."  "Do you think I should have focused more on phonics to get him reading stronger, instead of spending so much time on extras?" "No, I think that would have made him hate school."  "Are you worried he's behind?"  "I think he's made an amazing amount of progress.  I think you need to think about HIM and not everyone else."  

He just repeats back to me all the things I've said to him.  But in a deeper voice.  This is the key to a strong homeschooling marriage ;)    

We're still early in our homeschooling journey but what we have done so far seems to be working for us.

DH is supportive of homeschooling. He goes to work to support our family and doesn't balk at cost. He wants it to be a priority and helps to make it so I can get whatever materials I think are best. He is not involved in the day to day. He couldn't tell you what we use for most subjects. But if I have a hard time deciding between curriculum he will listen and weigh in. I have to specifically ask if I want a real discussion. If I just start talking curriculum he'll do the "uh huh" "hmm" thing. I think mostly to allow me to talk it out without interfering. He may ask a small question or two, but it's typically a short, not too deep conversation.

But if I spell it out and say "I'm having a hard time deciding history, will you look at these with me?" then he will agree and we find a time the kids are occupied. He helped me go through SOTW, CHOW, SL, and HO table of contents and compare everything. He gave me his opinions but also said "you're teaching it, so which would be better for you?"

This feels about right for us. I wouldn't want him hovering over small decisions or overseeing our days. He trusts me to do the research and the daily stuff.

dh helps me create role playing games for the kids to play.  Some of them have logic puzzles they have to solve, some revolve around a main theme (he's going to start making a 10 session game that focuses on the 10 commandments soon, his idea.) This was entirely his idea since he loves role playing games and my son is at an age where he can introduce simple ones to him that they have tons of fun with. 

He trusts me to pick teaching style and choose the material I use to teach it.  When he expresses interest in the process of planning I involve him but otherwise rely on this forum and my sister to help me figure it out if I get stuck.  

He also helps out by making the money so I can home school and by helping around the house more when I'm having a particularly hard time juggling home schooling and housework.

We see homeschooling as a natural extension of our parenting. Just as dh is equally involved in the rearing of his kids he is also involved in homeschooling. If he can't have an equal amount of time with school he does try to be fully oriented to what is going on. He does all the paperwork for the state. I hate that part and I have enough to do, so he does it. He is also in charge of end of year assessments. He is also knows the kids as well as I do so when it comes to solving an education problem or choosing a curriculum he is my full partner. He will look at samples etc and we will talk about which is the better choice for each kid.

When our older son decided he wanted AoPS for pre-A (and then algebra) dh took that on himself. AoPS clicks for dh. He loves it. So he took on pre-A and algebra instruction. That means he took a MOOC to refresh his algebra and he immersed himself in alcumus etc. He sat with ds1 when ds1 took the online AoPS class so he (dh) could use the same instructional vocabulary etc when working with ds1. This year, dh has been the sole instructor for algebra, so assigning daily work, correcting and getting ds1 ready for the NY state Regent exam this month. It hasn't always been easy. DH travels a bit for work and sometimes they have had to have class via Skype or facetime. But it has been a great experience for them both. In fact, my younger boy will sometimes say that he wants to save his math for when daddy gets home so he can do 'daddy math' as well.

My husband would have loved to have stayed home and taught our children, but he was working and bringing in the income.  So, I taught our children and I loved it too!  He did take over some advanced high school courses (like AP World History) because that was one of his areas of study and not mine, and he loved it.

Not much, hardly at all, but he is supportive in home education, the classes I sign her up for, and mainly 'pounding the pavement' to allow us to do as we (I) please. That's huge.

Sometimes I wish it was more but then I think it would be just that much harder with 'two cooks in the kitchen'.

He does teach her things but we don't call it 'school', it's just life. She knows aquatic fish care and tank care, fishing, camping, plumbing and electrical here and there. And there was that time she helped him make her bug box, with her 'Home Depot' apron and her pink plastic high heels...I think she was 4 yrs. :)

I'm thankful we're on the same team ;)

Yes, I'm glad you said that. Probably a decade or so ago, I was griping to a friend because the principal/teacher thing wasn't working. 

My friend set me straight  :hurray: .  She said to work it out like anything else in parenting, considering who has the ability to address the issue while keeping the other partner informed if it is a significant issue.

My husband supports us financially & in every other way, but he knows very little about our curriculum except for the subjects we are studying. He does go over flash cards, talks about what books they are reading and in general asks them about what they learned that day. He reads to them most nights before bed, fairy tales, short stories or the bible. I don't generally discuss curriculum or education with him, it's not that he's not interested but he hasn't done all the reading & research I've done so he doesn't really know what I'm talking about. He knows we are mostly classical and that I emphasize reading above most other things, but that's about it as far as my education philosophy.

DH has almost nothing at all to do with our home education.  But he is not good at teaching and is always traveling anyway.  He brings in the income that allows me to teach and he usually doesn't make waves about homeschooling.  Although he does have concerns at times he tries hard to be supportive and respect that I really believe this is the best option for the kids right now.

And I am eternally grateful that when we really, really needed to pull DS, then 8, out of school with less than 24 hours notice, he didn't balk at all.  I needed his support and he was there (18 years of marriage celebrated yesterday, yeah!).

He is the Principal, the main man, the enforcer, the "you don't want me to teach you this lesson it'll involve the correct form of pushups"

Eta: he is also my spontaneity, let's go to a museum, pool day! Lets fly to Philly and eat a Philly. He keeps me flexible.

IMO most husbands would rather hand the reins over to mom and then do other stuff with the kids.  My dh teaches my son programming, and he talks to them about philosophy and worldview, on a natural basis after church, during movies, during TV shows.

When I talk to him about homeschool his eyes glaze over.  Really, why bore the man?  Be glad that he's not controlling.  LOL

My husband makes it very clear what the outcome needs to be (college ready) and he backs me up as my supporter when the kids disrespect me, and he is a great dad in every way.  So I feel like my role is easy.  The times in which I have asked him to weigh in heavily into curriculum shopping it went south quickly because I disagreed with half of what he thought looked great, and then he wondered why I asked.  As far as asking him to do actual teaching of regular homeschool subjects, I don't think that's fair because he works 50 hours per week outside the home.  

Anyway, that's what has worked for us.  Oh- one piece of advice I DO have- if your dh has a passion and wants to do that with hte kids (sports, racing go karts, whatever) then MAKE TIME for it.  OUr homeschool plans and schedules can easily take over the kids ENTIRE lives and then dad feels like he is on hte sidelines.  

:o)

Yes to this!  My DH doesn't have the time to research and read a thousand curricula, especially since in the end, I'm going to go with what works for me (since I'm the one doing the teaching) and the children in the end.  He trusts my judgment.  If I have a real question about a couple of items, he can help me look at the pros and cons, but in general, the nitty-gritty of the day-to-day is something he'd rather leave up to me.

I did get some input from him about science, because it's not at all my strong point, and he has a few strong feelings about what he doesn't want me to use.  He's liked the looks of some of the stuff I've picked out.  His role is a supporter, encourager, and tbh, funder; he also does a ton of stuff with the kids on the weekends -- trips, athletic stuff, hobbies, casual science/history, etc., and he reads to them and such too.  He's gone about 10 hours a day and has to sleep and do furnace and mowing (depending on the season, and I'm not really able to do either of them) sometime, so his hours to do any schoolwork are limited.  The one thing I did turn over to him this spring is going through the SnapCircuits book -- I can read what it says, but I don't know enough about the subject to answer additional questions, whereas he does.

He does help with math sometimes, but I'm cautious about that because sometimes the kids need to do a problem in a specific way that the book taught, not necessarily the way DH would do it.  Singapore's particularly funny about that.  Which is kind of frustrating, because it's relatively easy to jump into looking at a math problem, whereas if he's not doing it every day, he doesn't know what is typical to expect from say, writing or history.

DH helps them practice their martial arts moves, though. ;)

My husband does not do much - he pays for some of the homeschooling (though even that I pay for the majority of it), he does "Map Monday" which involves telling the kids some news and showing them where on the map it happened. If the kids are proud of something they did then they will show it to their Dad and he admires it and sometimes they draw him pictures which he sticks up above his computer. He may ask us how our day went. And he educates them in the latest TV shows, movies and ipad games.

My Dh is very supportive of me and trusts the decisions I make for our homeschool.  He is very patient and does his best to try and understand when I talk about homeschooling curricula, etc. , but when I do it is like I am speaking a foriegn language to him.   I don't know how many times I have tried to explain the levels and years of TOG to him :lol:.  Poor Guy!

I would love for him to take a more active role in our homeschool, and he has offered.  But like someone else mentioned it is hard to ask him to do that when he works so many hours a week.  However, his work schedule has become slightly more flexible so I think he is going to take over doing science labs with the kids, something my Dh loves and I dislike so that will work out well. 

At the same time, while I agree with the above, DH is the only other person who comes close to knowing our children like I do, the only other person living our life.  Y'all are GREAT, but sometimes I need DH's perspective because he knows us so well; I need to say, "this is my problem with X; knowing our parameters, do you have any suggestions?"  Sometimes he does, and sometimes he doesn't.

At the same time, while I agree with the above, DH is the only other person who comes close to knowing our children like I do, the only other person living our life.  Y'all are GREAT, but sometimes I need DH's perspective because he knows us so well; I need to say, "this is my problem with X; knowing our parameters, do you have any suggestions?"  Sometimes he does, and sometimes he doesn't.

This is true, but it is as a father, not as a principal, that he would be discussing it with you. :-)

Dh doesn't get involved in homeschooling beyond making sure I have the money I need for any larger purchases. He does the hands-on life skills, like making small repairs around the house, cooking, yard work if we can get him outside, lol. (He hates being outside!) He is now strong enough to help with some of the larger jobs around the house like putting in the huge air conditioners now that it is getting hot. Day to day homeschooling is up to me. 

My dh is supportive.  I haven't asked him to help with school very much.  When I have asked, he has helped.  Mostly what I ask help for is for cooking dinner, cleaning the house type things.  He doesn't mind doing that.  In fact, he probably would rather be involved that way than teaching a subject.  :001_wub:

Primarily bankrolling. :)

Otherwise, he does a lot of helpful childcare when he's not working, and never begrudges me taking time to myself (which I so need, as a complete introvert). He also helps implement my son's building and construction plans or other crazy ideas--my husband is an engineer, so this is right up his alley.  That is very helpful because I am uninterested in, say, designing a solar-powered fountain for the garden...but that's what they're working on now.

He also thinks I'm brilliant, which gives me confidence to choose what to do.  He really never even asks what we do; he has no idea about curriculum, etc.  That trust is sometimes scary but using liberating and invigorating. I appreciate his trust more than anything.

Edited for more clarity and accuracy.

He's always read aloud to our girls on an almost daily basis until they start college: Tolkien, CS Lewis. Ralph Moody, etc.
I have my own read daily alouds for the kids.

He's played Logic games with them over the years.

He taught Math, Science and Philosophy when my older two started Jr. High level material through High School level materials.

Now he's doing Math and Science with my youngest and reads aloud to her.  

(S)he who does the teaching chooses the curriculum and sets the schedule.

I don't think principle/ administrator and teacher relationships are relevant in a homeschool setting. Homeschooling is a family and tutorial type situation at the same time-very different from an institutional situation.

We have always discussed our educational goals and educational philosophy along the way from the beginning.  We have always listened to each other's input and concerns.

My husband is not really involved in our homeschooling other than working to support us...I talk to him about what I want to do, but he has no clue what I am really talking about more than half of the time...He will also help someone with math if they really don't get it since he is good in math, or step in to discipline someone if he witnesses or hears of them giving me a hard time...

It is pretty much what Ellie said except he might complain if the house is a complete mess ;)...He is much neater than I am and would make a much better house keeper...But he says he would not be a good teacher  :p