Menu

Anyone care to celebrate the end of beach volleyball at the Olympics with me?

I will definitely join you! I'm so sick of having to turn off the olympics or fast forward through a taped version because of that game! DSs even noticed that the girls were "not appropriately dressed". Just a shame, the double standard in apparel. Truly sickening!

Glad I'm not alone!

Angela

I'm so glad this pseudo-sport is over.

I'm so glad I don't have to watch Walsh & May-Treanor in their bikinis anymore this Olympics. Or watch their attitudes anymore this Olympics.

:party:

:confused: Pseudo-sport? All of those volleyball players are stellar athletes and May/Walsh were not the only ones in bikinis. I am truly surprised to hear you say that they had "attitudes." All I saw was great sportsmanship.

I thought it was a wonderful game.

Elaine-proud bikini wearer

I'm so glad I don't have to watch Walsh & May-Treanor in their bikinis anymore this Olympics. Or watch their attitudes anymore this Olympics.

You might not approve of their apparel, but beach volleyball is not a pseudo-sport. Those gals are highly dedicated, motivated, incredible athletes . . . I wouldn't take that away from them because you think their clothing is inappropriate.

Tricia

:confused: Pseudo-sport? All of those volleyball players are stellar athletes and May/Walsh were not the only ones in bikinis. I am truly surprised to hear you say that they had "attitudes." All I saw was great sportsmanship.

Got to totally agree with Elaine on this one--although I'd never be caught dead in a bikini. My deathly pale skin would frighten small children. ;)

No, I don't like the double standard in uniforms (why don't the men wear Speedos, I wonder...), but I don't see how that reflects in any way on the athleticism or attitude of the participants. I didn't see every game, but I saw most of May-Treanor and Walsh (this Olympics and last). They are AMAZING athletes and, from what I've seen, very good sportswomen, too.

And if you have ever tried to play VB on the beach... well, it's not easy to do anything on the sand like that!

Frankly, with the sand temps what they were, i can't imagine being comfy in anything BUT what they wore. I didn't mind that - they are more covered that a lot of people at the beach.

I just don't like watching it over and over and over. But those "guys" work their behinds off!

I agree!!! (About the sportsmanship and athletes part....not about the wearing a bikini part!!!!! :001_smile:)

Well, one of them asked President Bush to give her a "volleyball slap" on her rear end. This is what turned me off completely to them. To make it to the Olympics, in any sport, is an accomplishment, but to offer the President of the United States your rear end to slap after a play is in bad taste.

I didn't actually have an issue with their bikinis until this happened. After all, the men "dive in their underwear" (according to my ds6), so I know that all athletes have to wear the uniform best suited for their sport.

As far as it being a pseudo-sport, something about "beach volleyball" strikes me more as a pickup game you play with your friends than something that you compete in at the Olympics. But that's just my personal bias that makes me not enjoy watching it.

Sorry if I offended you, Elaine!

Well, one of them asked President Bush to give her a "volleyball slap" on her rear end. This is what turned me off completely to them. To make it to the Olympics, in any sport, is an accomplishment, but to offer the President of the United States your rear end to slap after a play is in bad taste.

Oh no THAT wasn't a set up...

I don't think those bikinis were particularly skimpy, though. I would wear one if I could.

Politics anyone??

:lol:

Exactly. I for one am tired of seeing one picture after another in the news of the President standing behind the team while their bums are exposed. In one pic, a player has a major wedgie that leaves most everything out and the President has an expression of glee that I'm sure is related to the sport but in the pic looks vile. I do not want to see any more pics of my President and women's butts. It just looks bad. I think it's degrading (not the sport, not bikinis, but pictures all over the world news of our President looking at women's behinds).

I agree that is in very poor taste. Most definitely used poor judgment there.

I have to confess that we all enjoyed watching the beach volleyball and enjoyed Walsh & May-Treanor as well as Rogers & Dallhauser. Neither Dh or I noticed any attitude from either team.

Having said that...we definitely didn't care for the skimpy bikini's - at all. But we didn't let it stop of from enjoying the sport. I'm happy that they won.

I didn't actually have an issue with their bikinis until this happened. After all, the men "dive in their underwear" (according to my ds6), so I know that all athletes have to wear the uniform best suited for their sport.

As far as it being a pseudo-sport, something about "beach volleyball" strikes me more as a pickup game you play with your friends than something that you compete in at the Olympics. But that's just my personal bias that makes me not enjoy watching it.

JudoMom!! You didnt offend me!:001_smile: Tone is so hard to convey here.

You know I wuv you!:001_smile: Really, no biggie.

About that...I think it's one of those things that she just got cauht up in the moment. Afterward she was probably thinking, "I didn't just offer my tush up to the pres! Did I? :D

I chalked it up to Olympics/Preseident Bush warming up with you/ (Hello? When does that happen:lol:) excitement.

Can I just tell you that you have become one of my favorite posters here? You crack me up!! And yes, I agree with you about the end of Beach Blanket Bingo!:lol:

I played beach volleyball for several years before I had kids. It is a tough sport. To be able to jump and move in sand is not easy at all. My teams were 6 on the court. When we did tournaments with 4 on 4, that even harder. Dropping it to 2 on the court, and doing what they do, is incredible.

Not mad or anything, just trying to clear up the idea that it isn't really a sport. It is a very difficult sport, in fact. I loved playing in sand more than on hard court. There seemed to be more challenge for me. Given my height (5'8") and that I was playing on a men's height net, I had to work very hard to be a hitter. I stunk at setting. So I needed to be able to jump, which is much more difficult in the sand.

Having played the sport myself, I am very aware of just how hard it is and am in awe of what they do out there in those conditions. My beach was in a warehouse protected from the elements.

I wish the bottoms were a bit more like boys short just to cover the potential cheek showings. But sand under clothing, not fun!

I don't like the hype that others set up surrounding the sport. But football also has scantily clad cheerleaders too. Don't like that either.

I didn't see anything bad about their attitudes. They always seem very positive and gracious. Nothing in your face, just pure excitement and thankfulness for their journey. (the butt slap -- well, we all do and say odd things somethings but we just are not famous so that it is put out there for the world )

(just trying to explain a bit more)

:iagree: In high school, I played Jr. Olympic volleyball, training 6 days a week and traveling to Asia and So. America. I competed in many tournaments including two World Cups. During summer breaks I played beach volleyball in CA. and for me beach volleyball was much more challenging. Do you know how hard it is to move and jump like they do in the sand?

I stand in awe of what the US team has done.

I can see where people think their "clothing" is inappropriate from US standards, but I have been to the beaches of Brazil and Europe and they play sports on the in much less. Since the Olympics is a world wide sporting event, I think they need to do what the world is doing and we just have to get over it.

I didn't see the Presidential rear-slap thing, but I can just say that I am glad I don't have a camera following me around all day because I do stupid things all the time.

Give the young ladies a break! We should be very proud of them.

You might not approve of their apparel, but beach volleyball is not a pseudo-sport. Those gals are highly dedicated, motivated, incredible athletes . . . I wouldn't take that away from them because you think their clothing is inappropriate.

Tricia

Well yes. I agree that volleyball is a real sport. It's just hard when you've got boys of a certain age and you're trying to teach them not to treat women as eye candy and sex objects and, well, you know. It would be nice to not have to be concerned about that while watching the Olympics, that's all.

I totally understand why people who are actually at the beach (or pool), sunning and swimming, would want to wear bikinis. But to play an Olympic sport that just happens to be played on sand? Oh well, enough of that dead horse. ;)

JudoMom!! You didnt offend me!:001_smile: Tone is so hard to convey here.

You know I wuv you!:001_smile: Really, no biggie.

Thanks, Elaine. I must be PMSing because I just started crying when dh said he'd prefer I go to Walmart tomorrow night rather than in the morning. It's gonna be a loooong day.

:iagree:

But I also can no longer wear a bikini due to too much tummy. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks, Elaine. I must be PMSing because I just started crying when dh said he'd prefer I go to Walmart tomorrow night rather than in the morning. It's gonna be a loooong day.

I am really sorry. I am in such a bad mood, my life is a mess and I should nt have posted something like that to you. You're Judo Mom! My buddy!

Please forgive me for being a putz.

I thought diplayed excellent sportsmanship (unlike the "fastest man in the world" with all his showboating.) They were always complementary of their opponents, behaved in a gracious manner, and didn't treat these games and the gold medal as an entitlement, but as a gift to be appreciated.

However, the bikinis do bother me - not that they are bikinis, but that the style seems to be show as much "cheek" as possible. I found that irritating. I didn't see that much cheek at our local swimming venue, which is not necessarily a place where modesty rules. I personally would have liked to see more of a "boy short" style bottom. While I was watching them, I wanted to reach out and adjust their suits, like removing a wedgie:).

Oh, and about it being a pseudo-sport - it is very difficult. Not only do they have only 2 people to cover the court, they have to do it while slogging through sand and they have to pop up out of the sand every time the go for a dig. Very difficult, indeed. I think it requires more athleticism than regular volleyball.

I personally would have liked to see more of a "boy short" style bottom. While I was watching them, I wanted to reach out and adjust their suits, like removing a wedgie:).

Yes, this is why I didn't buy the whole comfort and mobility argument. Thank goodness we don't have to watch the men removing their wedgies.:D

Yes' date=' this is why I didn't buy the whole comfort and mobility argument. Thank goodness we don't have to watch the men removing their wedgies.:D[/quote']

Well, I don't have cable so I have missed watching the games. I surfed around for more pictures. One news website had shots of all the players rear ends supposedly to demonstrate hand signals for communication with teammates (yeah right!) I would not find many of those bottoms to be particularly comfortable, but I think my dh would appreciate it if I wore one...

While I appreciate the athleticism involved and the amount of training and effort these ladies put into their sport, I do see it more as something you play on the beach when you're bored, not something that is gold-medal worthy. But, whatever....

I am scratching my head in wonder over the "uniforms". When an ace bandage offers more coverage, you know you need to add a layer or two. Just sayin' :D

I'd like to see the women wear the same thing as the guys: a tank top and shorts.

With no t.v. reception and a dial up internet connection, there has been very little Olympics watching here. But, we did get to see some of the early games while at the in-laws last weekend, and womens' beach volleyball was one of the ones I really enjoyed. My hat is off to those women for sustaining the kind of energy and talent they must to not only play but WIN two-on-two volleyball, in the sand.

And, now, I'd like to pose a serious (and with no intention of sounding snarky) question: Why is their attire so troubling in this context? I'm all on board with the concept that sexually charged images and actions shouldn't be as accessible as they are in our media. To me, in this case, it's not about being sexy. It's about wearing the attire which has evolved with the sport (yes, sport). When I look at those bodies, I don't see women trying to flaunt what they've got any more than I see that when I watch a ballet, or a swim meet, or a gymastics competition (where the women are younger - so there's that), or women of other cultures who may be topless. I just see bodies that are exemplary of incredible atheletes. One or two of you said you could accept a bikini on the beach, just not in this sport, so it's not solely about the skin exposure. When there is nothing lewd about the context, why is it still troublesome? Maybe because I have girls rather than boys? Maybe because I have a different religious view? Maybe because I grew up in a household where my mother's modesty has affected me to this day? I long to not feel ashamed of my body (not that I spend a lot of time there, but it is a real feeling nonetheless), so perhaps things like this show up differently for me? Or could it be because I didn't get to see the white suits or the butt slap -- perhaps either of those would change my tune? ;) Is it not possible to separate the human body from sexuality?

I ask these questions in all seriousness yet with utter respect for those of you who feel the way you do.

:iagree: Enjoyed watching them. The bikini wasn't necessary, but still enjoyed the game.

Wishing I could still wear my bikini but those days are long gone.

Janet

With no t.v. reception and a dial up internet connection, there has been very little Olympics watching here. But, we did get to see some of the early games while at the in-laws last weekend, and womens' beach volleyball was one of the ones I really enjoyed. My hat is off to those women for sustaining the kind of energy and talent they must to not only play but WIN two-on-two volleyball, in the sand.

And, now, I'd like to pose a serious (and with no intention of sounding snarky) question: Why is their attire so troubling in this context? I'm all on board with the concept that sexually charged images and actions shouldn't be as accessible as they are in our media. To me, in this case, it's not about being sexy. It's about wearing the attire which has evolved with the sport (yes, sport). When I look at those bodies, I don't see women trying to flaunt what they've got any more than I see that when I watch a ballet, or a swim meet, or a gymastics competition (where the women are younger - so there's that), or women of other cultures who may be topless. I just see bodies that are exemplary of incredible atheletes. One or two of you said you could accept a bikini on the beach, just not in this sport, so it's not solely about the skin exposure. When there is nothing lewd about the context, why is it still troublesome? Maybe because I have girls rather than boys? Maybe because I have a different religious view? Maybe because I grew up in a household where my mother's modesty has affected me to this day? I long to not feel ashamed of my body (not that I spend a lot of time there, but it is a real feeling nonetheless), so perhaps things like this show up differently for me? Or could it be because I didn't get to see the white suits or the butt slap -- perhaps either of those would change my tune? ;) Is it not possible to separate the human body from sexuality?

I ask these questions in all seriousness yet with utter respect for those of you who feel the way you do.

:iagree: They weren't trying to act s*xy or provocative. Honestly, the most comfortable thing to wear when playing beach volleyball is a bikini. The sand is brutal. They could have been wearing little string bikini tops showing cleavage, but they wore sports tops, similar to a running bra. However, I did find the white bikinis a bad choice, particularly for a rainy day. :001_huh: I'm much more disturbed with some of the commercials.

Psuedo- sport

Badminton

Okay - I gotta say - I played badminton in college as a club sport. It was REALLY hard! Great exercise!! Seriously - watch them play sometime - you'll be impressed!!

Everything I was going to say about beach volleyball has been said - it takes a true athlete to play that sport! The clothing - well, I guess I don't get too upset about stuff like that. I enjoyed watching them!!

offering of her tush to the President. Apparently it was more about her tatoo than her tush. The President said, "your the one with the tatoo" and she turned around and showed it to him.

Whatever.

I think they are incredible athletes, and I think their attire is, well. . .beach like. We called them the beach babes all week. I don't think they are necessarily trying to be sexy, but they are. Why is the US men's basketball team there watching? Not because they think it is an invigoating sport, I am sure. It is because those girls are hot. ALso the primary reason NBC aired so much of them.

Got to totally agree with Elaine on this one--although I'd never be caught dead in a bikini. My deathly pale skin would frighten small children. ;)

No, I don't like the double standard in uniforms (why don't the men wear Speedos, I wonder...), but I don't see how that reflects in any way on the athleticism or attitude of the participants. I didn't see every game, but I saw most of May-Treanor and Walsh (this Olympics and last). They are AMAZING athletes and, from what I've seen, very good sportswomen, too.

I agree, too. (But if I felt OK wearing a bikini it wouldn't really be a source of pride for me...lol)

I thought May-Treanor and Walsh were very *humble* and never saw any bad attitudes. They shook the hands of the judges AND the towel-holders/sand smoothers or whatever they are after their matches!

The clothing issue has been brought up a number of times, but only in reference to beach volleyball.

Were you not offended by the same small tops and bottoms on the famale marathon runners? Or the sprinters?

What about the skin-tight suits of the swimmers, divers and gymnasts?

How are any of those suits different?

Sure, some of them cover the mid-section, but there is plenty of behind hanging out all over Beijing these days.

They are athletes, and they are wearing the clothes in which they perform best.

Wow! I opened this thread expecting rejoicing over the GOLD, not that the tournament was over. I loved every second of the beach volleyball, and was actually disappointed during the quarterfinals when May-Treanor/Walsh's matches wasn't televised live and was only shown rerun in the middle of the night.

I agree with Doran and other posters that the use of bikinis here did not come across as sexual to me in any way, but functional for the game. I let my boys watch and never even thought twice about it. But we also are very open about our bodies in a non-sexual way (I'm quite a lactivist and hate when people turn breastfeeding into something sexual when it's not). I think it's how we interpret it to our children. My boys comments to me on the game were about the game. They noticed great blocks and spikes and quick-moving defense. Actually the only time during the Olympics that my boys said anything about attire was during the men's diving. They asked why the men were diving in their underwear. I guess it's because at our swim club all of the lifeguard women wear sport bikinis and the men wear trunks - so my boys had never seen teeny Speedos before. LOL

As for the attitudes of the players, they always came across as gracious to me during every interview I saw. I missed the President/butt incident but we all say things at times that we regret and I'm sure that is one of them.

I loved watching all the beach volleyball and I'm thrilled we won the gold again!!! I can't wait to cheer for Dalhausser and Rogers tonight!! Go USA!!

The clothing issue has been brought up a number of times, but only in reference to beach volleyball.

Were you not offended by the same small tops and bottoms on the famale marathon runners? Or the sprinters?

What about the skin-tight suits of the swimmers, divers and gymnasts?

How are any of those suits different?

Sure, some of them cover the mid-section, but there is plenty of behind hanging out all over Beijing these days.

They are athletes, and they are wearing the clothes in which they perform best.

I totally agree with you. Beach volleyball is not the only Olympic sport where athletes are wearing very little. I think what matters is that the outfits they were wearing were appropriate for their sport and not designed to be sexy, unlike the cheerleaders' uniforms, for instance.

I don't have anything against it personally, but perhaps it matters that I grew up in Europe. My in-laws, who are from Sri Lanka, also thought they were a little too revealing.