Menu

A day that started great is now in the toilet <vent>

I had a lovely morning.  I had a very successful day on a project I am working on.  On my way home from this project, I dropped something off at a friend's house.  I knew I was getting hungry and tired, so I left.  As I was backing out of the driveway, I heard a thud.  Yep, I backed my big SUV into a car that was parked across the street at the end of this driveway.  I didn't see it. I checked my mirrors and looked back as I backed out, but didn't see it.  I knocked on a few doors but no one claimed that this car was theirs so I left a note with my contact info.   Why didn't we splurge on the back up warning system on this car?  Why did this person have to park in such a dangerous spot.  Maybe I should have invited myself for lunch at my friend's house so I wouldn't have been so hungry.  Why won't my husband call me back?  I am on pins an needles waiting for this person to call me and ream me out for hitting their car (dent in the door but only light scratches on my plastic bumper.)  I just wanna go eat a bag of chocolate chips.  Waaaahhh!

Oh, horrible. I have come close, very close to doing the exact same thing. It IS hard to see a car in that position. As a police officer said to me after a multi-car pile up (not due to me, no injuries). It made me feel a teeny bit better about my totaled car.

I've done that too.  I looked, more than once, but the little car was in just that spot and my van was just so big that I couldn't see it - even after turning and looking over my shoulder. 

I hope they call soon and you can get it taken care of easily.   Don't be so hard on yourself.  :grouphug:

:grouphug:  As someone who cannot think straight or function properly when hungry, I can sympathize.  I've had close-calls (the kind that would have resulted not just in dinged doors but broken bones) when driving with low blood sugar.  I make sure to ALWAYS keep glucose tablets and a protein bar in my purse now.  (Not saying that you necessarily need to do that, just that I have to.)

:grouphug: .  I know that when I slid into a car a few years ago, I felt so foolish and angry with myself. It took the call with the insurance agent to make me feel better. "Did you hit a pedestrian?" No "Were there any injuries?" No.  The perspective really helped.

I am glad you are okay.

Nobody got hurt.  You didn't hit a kid on a bike.  You didn't run over somebody's dog.

These things happen.  It's why we buy insurance.  You did the right thing by leaving your info.

Eating the whole bag of chips will make you feel worse.  Stop at half.

:grouphug:

When I was a teenager I parked on the very end of the driveway.  Then neighbor woman across the street ALWAYS parked her Mercedes on the street immediately behind me.  I always thought that was incredibly stupid of her just from a self-preservation point-of-view.  I was a teenager, and I was always careful ... but still.  Years later, DH and I are visiting my parents and we had two cars.  DH's car is parked on the street opposite their driveway.  I was chatting with the neighbor's son who is my age, and he mentions that his mom absolutely hate that their is a car at the end of their driveway.  I pointed out that her car was that At That Moment was parked opposite my parent's driveway, and that she'd done the same thing when I was a teen.  

Thanks for the support, everyone.  I feel really bad about this.  If I could take back two moments - the one where we agreed on the price of this car rather than negotiating for the back up warning system and this moment when I hit the car.  (Oh, I am sure there are plenty of others. )  Ds had this happen to him with this car.  I love it for trips, but I hate backing up because I just can't see the rear end.  This happened with my van 14 years ago, but it was a windy day, garbage cans were rolling in the street and I was terribly late for something with 2 crabby kids in the car.  I hit the neighbor's nanny's car - with my 6 week old car. 

I didn't have low blood sugar yet, but I knew I needed to eat soon.  I was very tired, thought - introvert crash from too many days in a row surrounded by lots of people with no time in my "cave." 

So, I think hubby is in an all-day meeting.  Should I call my insurance agent?  I still haven't heard from the person I hit.  I didn't need to stay, right? 

:grouphug:  I understand how you feel.  No, you don't have to wait, leaving a note is fine.  I would probably hold off on calling your insurance until you hear from the other person.

I think those rear warning systems should be standard on large vehicles.  Even though my mini-van is lower to the ground than a SUV, I would like something to see out the back, because you can't see low.  

I'm sorry your day has been this way.  It is nerve racking.

:grouphug: Dh's mission in life is to explain to people why they shouldn't park there.  He's made visiting teens go move their cars so they aren't across from the neighbor's driveway.  And asked neighbors to please stop parking across from our driveway.

Well, the person I hit finally called me.  It was a friend of mine who was visiting the friend I popped in to see.  I had knocked on a couple of doors, but it never occurred to me to see if that person was visiting my friend.  She was really cool about it, surprisingly so since she has had a really stressful week. 

Poor woman is probably posting elsewhere about how her entire week has been in the toilet and now this.

I'm so sorry for both of you, Like so many who have posted, this has almost happened to me more times than I can count.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Well, the person I hit finally called me.  It was a friend of mine who was visiting the friend I popped in to see.  I had knocked on a couple of doors, but it never occurred to me to see if that person was visiting my friend.  She was really cool about it, surprisingly so since she has had a really stressful week. 

What a strange twist!  I hope that will make it much less stressful to straighten out.

My neighbor across the street backed into my friend's 15 passenger van in a similar situation. She was going to visit her son's grave so she was upset at the time. Her car was a small Toyota. Still---a huge 15 passenger van.

Beth