Menu

Makeup and SAH

Night Elf

I wear make-up 2-3 times a week. There is no rhyme or reason to which days I wear it. Sometimes I'm home all day and so etimes I'm out. I think it comes down to having both the time and the inclination to apply it on the same day. It's only 5 minutes, but some days it just ain't happening.

I always wear my foundation, which is a super beauty-balm kind of thing that is great for my skin.  I almost always wear (eye) makeup if I'm going out, sometimes when I'm staying home.  I haven't this weekend, because my kid's had to be somewhere early both mornings. I may put some on later though today . . .

Yes, although either way I often don't do the full face.  Usually lipstick, sometimes eyes as well.  FWIW, my hair is neat but it's hardly ever going to wow anyone.  But I always wear a nice dress or skirt unless I'm really sick.

I don't understand the attitude of putting in effort for strangers, but not your own family.  Just my opinion. :)

I used to have eyelashes. I don't know what happened to them, but the bottom ones are pretty much gone. So I'm starting to wear a little eyeliner most days which doesn't really look made-up...just makes me look more normal! Mascara doesn't help much since there's not much there for it to stick to and it's more problematic with smearing, itchy eyes, etc., so eyeliner is enough for me.

For those of you who wear makeup, do you still wear it if you are staying home without any place to go for the day?

Yes. I look so much better with just a bit - just some lipstick and mascara makes a huge difference and takes 2 minutes. If I want to look my best, I just add a bit of foundation and light blush. But I have sallow skin, dark circles under my eyes, and grey hair. My coloring is such that a little makes a big difference.

Usually, yes. I just feel more put together. Plus, there are times where something comes up at the last minute, and I don't want to have to rush to put it on. I do not go anywhere without make up on, except the beach/pool. Even at those places, I have my waterproof foundation with built in sunscreen on.

Yes. I recently discovered liquid eyeliner and am having a blast figuring out how that works.

Brown eye shadow.

Mascara.

It makes me look more awake. I don't like seeing myself looking haggard when I catch sight of myself in the mirror. Without the eye makeup I feel like I look haggard.

I haven't worn makeup in 16 years, when I left my office job. I feel my skin looks kind of sad now, which is why I'm thinking of getting some again. I just feel like I'd be silly to wear anything if I stay at home, which is most days of the week. I was just wondering how others do it. :)

I wear light foundation and mascara at a minimum. I just feel more put together. My next step up adds eye shadow. Then liner. And if I'm really going all out I add blush & lip gloss. I'd like to wear lip gloss more often, but it's just so high maintenance; I'm always kissing it off onto my kids :D

I haven't worn makeup in 16 years, when I left my office job. I feel my skin looks kind of sad now, which is why I'm thinking of getting some again. I just feel like I'd be silly to wear anything if I stay at home, which is most days of the week. I was just wondering how others do it. :)

Why not start with a tinted moisturizer?  It will care for your skin plus give you a little glow.  Then you won't feel like you are "putting on makeup" just ot stay at home, but just moisturizer with a little extra benefit!

I like this one, although some people think it's a little heavy for a tinted moisturizer, I think it definitely perks up my face.  That's what I do when I'm not wearing regular makeup. Gives me sunscreen too.

http://www.drugstore.com/aveeno-active-naturals-positively-radiant-tinted-moisturizer-fair-to-light-sheer-tint/qxp301351

Aveeno Active Naturals Positively Radiant Tinted Moisturizer

For those of you who wear makeup, do you still wear it if you are staying home without any place to go for the day?

Yes, every day, but not full make-up every day.  Regular at-home day make-up is: mascara, eyeliner, light touch of cream blush and lip gloss. In the summer, when I've got a bit of natural colour, I may skip the blush.  But, overall, that's my daily minimum.  If I'm going somewhere that day that is not work, I may add BB cream. Even with that, it takes me less than 5 minutes.  It's a habit like brushing teeth and fixing my hair.

Why not start with a tinted moisturizer?  It will care for your skin plus give you a little glow.  Then you won't feel like you are "putting on makeup" just ot stay at home, but just moisturizer with a little extra benefit!

I like this one, although some people think it's a little heavy for a tinted moisturizer, I think it definitely perks up my face.  That's what I do when I'm not wearing regular makeup. Gives me sunscreen too.

http://www.drugstore.com/aveeno-active-naturals-positively-radiant-tinted-moisturizer-fair-to-light-sheer-tint/qxp301351

Aveeno Active Naturals Positively Radiant Tinted Moisturizer

Thank you. I'll try that. Maybe that and a little mascara on my bottom lashes will perk me up.

Yep--I didn't for a while, but found myself getting depressed when I saw myself in the mirror.  My makeup takes less than 5 minutes to put on--a little eyeshadow, wet eye liner (I have a brush you wet with water, then use something like eyeshadow), mascara.  Tiny bit of foundation and powder on my nose & around it and my chin, poof of powder and a sweep of blush.  Lip balm.

Makes my day go better :)

Betsy

I wear moisturizer, foundation mascara and blush daily.  Oh, and I lightly fill in my eyebrows daily- it really changes the look of my face when I don't do my eyebrows.  If I'm wanting to feel more put together I wear eyeliner & eyes shadow as well.  I don't spend more than 7 minutes or so on my makeup each morning.

I wear moisturizer, foundation mascara and blush daily.  Oh, and I lightly fill in my eyebrows daily- it really changes the look of my face when I don't do my eyebrows.  If I'm wanting to feel more put together I wear eyeliner & eyes shadow as well.  I don't spend more than 7 minutes or so on my makeup each morning.

It makes a big difference for me too. I have invisible eyebrows and eyelashes, so just a little color on them really changes my face.

Define "wear makeup." :-)

I wear mascara and do my eyebrows every single day. I wear the whole face only once or twice a year.

I try to wear it most days... but it's hit or miss if I'm at home.  I also look tired if I don't have a little something.  And, I have reddish blotchy face, so it helps smooth it out a bit. I like BB Cream-  which is a tinted moisturizer with some spf in it too.  Then a little eye liner (I prefer the pencil with the rubber smudger) and light blush.    On days I go out I'll do mascara and eye shadow too.  But, I find that mascara starts bugging me after several hours, so even though I had makeup on earlier for church I've already washed my face to take off the mascara. 

Yep, though generally not full makeup around the house.  If I'm staying home, I put a small bit of light bronzer on, eyebrow color (mine are practically invisible), mascara, light lipstick and sometimes eyeliner.  I look so much better and feel more together, and my family shouldn't have to look at me like that.  Some days I do full makeup, especially if I'm going out.

BTW, Indy asked me recently why I wear makeup.  I told him it made me feel pretty, and my sweet, sweet boy replied, "But you don't need it.  You're beautiful without it."  Awwww.  

I forgot eyebrows.  Lol!  I guess it's just that much of a habit.  I have nice eyebrows, but they're a little pale in parts.  I just pluck what's outside the natural browline about once a week and then daily use a bit of pencil feathered in for even colour.

BB cream (Id wear sunscreen anyway, may as well get the benefits of smoothing out my skin), mascara on upper lashes, and tinted Burt's Bees (pomegranate) every day. Sometimes a light lipstick too, just because it feels extra pretty. I went for years without but I really do feel more polished with just the right touches, and it takes no more time than plain sunscreen anyway.

I wear makeup about 6 days a week. My minimal routine is under eye concealer, CC cream (similar to bb cream), blush, very light eyeshadow and liner, mascara and lip gloss. It takes about 5 minutes. My compete routine is usually for leaving the house and I use more eyeshadow and liner and possibly lipstick, it takes about 15 minutes. About once a week I just veg all day and don't do makeup at all.

Yes. Every day. I look and feel so much better with makeup. Plus, even in my mid-fifties, my skin is very oily. Wearing makeup helps keep that under control. The one thing I don't use, however, is mascara. No matter what kind I try, it always seems to smear

Yes. Every day. I look and feel so much better with makeup. Plus, even in my mid-fifties, my skin is very oily. Wearing makeup helps keep that under control. The one thing I don't use, however, is mascara. No matter what kind I try, it always seems to smear

THIS--in my 40s, i have oily skin.  I envy those of you who say you just put on a little moisturizer or tinted moisturizer.  My skin looks wet in a not-pretty-and-dewy way if I don't wear a little foundation set with powder.  It doesn't take much and it doesn't have to look like a mask, but I can't go natural without foundation and a bit of powder.  Just powder doesn't do it--it's gone in like an hour.

I don't feel like I have super oily skin, but it's oily enough that I can't go makeup free and look decent for very long---

Betsy

For you ladies who also have oily skin... it is a fact that having oiler skin, especially as you age, drastically reduces the inevitable wrinkling.  In other words, we'll look younger longer. ;)

If it makes you feel better it's never silly.  If I wear no make up and dress in ratty clothes I get so much less accomplished than if I make a little effort.  At home (and often out) I wear tinted BB w/sunscreen, mascara and lip gloss.  I look healthy but not necessarily 'made up'.  I'm wearing it now and my day includes a trip to the dumpster.  But I'll look nice at the dumpster  :lol: