Menu

I've told you a kajillion times! Random question of the day...

AndyJoy

When you're feeling dramatic and waxing hyperbolic, what word do you use to signify "many". Does it vary with excitement/frustration level, or are you consistent? Or are you perfectly rational and accurate in your descriptions?

My go-to exaggeration is "8 billion", as in, "Wow, there were 8 billion (ahem, 12) people in line at the post office today!". My sister was fond of "kajillion" as a teen.

I also say things like, "Everyone and her mother's neighbor's cousin's ex-husbad's dog were at the grocery store today!".

In my case, these are said with a humorous tone to my husband mostly. He is an INTJ and is more likely to give me an exact count :) though when frustrated is known to string one or two occurrences into an ongoing pattern.

What about you?

My mom used to say "for the umpteenth time..."

I'm not a fan of exaggeration unless it's quite obviously exaggeration. I guess I say tons a lot. There were tons in stock, there were tons of people out shopping today.

I detest when people say always or never for exaggeration, because some people take them literally when they shouldn't. Ive noticed black and white thinkers do this a lot and I think it can be problematic in painting a picture that's not accurate. But that's not what you meant, OP, I'm just rambling.

Ten-teen - it is funnier with my family than with friends because we all remember my girl learning to count and saying

Eighteen

Nineteen

Ten-teen

Eleven-teen

Twelve-teen

Thirrrteeeen-(dramatic pause) -teen? and giving us a look of utter bewilderment.

I recently noticed that I tend to revert to 300. "Do we need eggs?" "No, we have about 300 in the other fridge."

Now I need to figure out what I do if 300 is plausible. Or I need a bigger number. I already know it is not 3,000 or three million. 

And I'll admit to being charmed when my 87-year-old neighbor in pink tennies grumbles that she has "a metric [NSFW word]-ton of books to sort through for the library sale." 

I use fifty-leven (as in fifty;eleven). I realize it makes no sense, but it was what I was raised with.

I also use million, tons, or the whole world.

Grandma's Feather Bed was made from the feathers of forty 'leven geese. :)

I say 50 million or bazillion. If there are oodles of people somewhere, everyone and her goat showed up.