Menu

Final Update - He's home :) (Dr Hive - When is this an emergency situation?)

PuddleJumper1

Ds19 is very sick. He had a throat infection in Feb that was treated. In early March he was still run down and his throat hurt. He was diagnosed with Mono through a Monospot test about two weeks ago. He was doing better and then on Friday his throat started hurting again. He wasn't letting on how bad he felt because he didn't want his girlfriend to worry about him (he lives on campus about 45 minutes from home). She finally got him to go back to the dr. on Monday. They put him on an antibiotic and I went and picked him up. It's his school's Spring Break. I had no idea just how sick he was. On Monday he sounded like he had bricks in his throat and he said he could feel the tonsils touching. He's been running temps between 99.4 to 102.6 until today. He actually woke this morning with a 98.4 and he sounds like he's got golf balls instead of boulders in his throat. This evening he's spiking to 105.6 with one reading hitting 106. We're using a thermascan (across the forehead). He has all the classic symptoms of mono but this fever is getting a bit scary. He's come back down to 103.5. When does this become a trip to the ER?

ER NOW. Mono has a rare complication that can cause your throat to swell shut, cutting off air supply.

The fever itself wouldn't say ER to me as some folks tend to run higher fevers {like my dd}, but the throat swelling would be an immediate trip, possibly in an Ambulance just so you get in faster.

We're in the ER. Left right after seeing Jean's response. He's on IV. They gave him steroids and have ordered a CT of his neck - his throat is very swollen. Blood work and strep on tap as well. Temp is down with meds. 

Thanks for all the responses. They think it is the mono run amok but we'll see if that changes as the night goes. I feel much better just being here!

Thank you for taking the time to post an update when we know you have far more important things on your mind.

I'm very relieved that you took him to the ER and that he's getting the care he needs. You must be so worried. :(

:iagree:  Thank goodness you were able to get him to where he can be taken care of, no matter what is going on! I hope he continues to improve from here on out  :grouphug:

I'd go to the ER but you need a real thermometer, too.

I must be using a name that means something else as well The nurse thought I used a paper thermometer. It's a temporal artery thermometer. Very widely respected. It scans across the forehead. The particular brand we have says Thermoscan on it. It what they use with my youngest in research at NIH.

So glad to here he is being treated now! When I read that thermometer reading, my eyes blinked hard and my heart thumped. My eldest boy would run a fever of 106.5 for something as simple as an ear infection and it was a resistant fever so it always meant an ER visit, ice packs, and cold water baths plus aggressive meds. Knowing how much it scared me and the ER staff in a young child, I knew it was even worse for an adult.

Whew! Very happy you are getting help.

I must be using a name that means something else as well The nurse thought I used a paper thermometer. It's a temporal artery thermometer. Very widely respected. It scans across the forehead. The particular brand we have says Thermoscan on it. It what they use with my youngest in research at NIH.

Our doctor's office and urgent care use them, too.  We don't have one (our ear thermometer has held up just fine) but if it's good enough for them, can't imagine why it wouldn't be good enough for laypeople!

Hope they get to the bottom of things and he's on the mend soon!

I hope your son feels better soon. I think you're in the right place.

And i was picturing those little strips you stick to the forehead.

My son's Dr uses one. He still won't' let them take his temp.

He's being admitted so they can keep him on IV steroids for his throat. CT showed not much room left for his airway. Doctor says this is all mono related just pretty severe. He doesn't usually see a downward spiral like this after they start to get better so we'll have a visit from Infectious Disease while we're here. Fever is down in the 100 range thank goodness. I can tell he's feeling a bit better - I'm hearing his voice for the first time in days.

Thanks for the good thoughts and prayers.

Wow. That sounds very scary. I'm so glad he was home with you, and that you took him in.

I was going to mention the possibility of secondary infection. Spikes like that after getting better here have always meant bad things. But mono is tricky. My husband was as sick as I have ever seen him, and for a long time really, with mono. He ran very (104-105) high fevers too now that I think of it.

The IV steroids are working wonders! The swelling is greatly reduced. He looks like heck and he snored like freight train but he seems to be on the right track. We're still waiting to speak with the doctor which could be now or this evening but I have feeling he'll be able to leave today with oral steroids on board.

Thanks so much for all the good thoughts and prayers

Our doctor always wants an oral temp without the kids having anything to drink for a while before, once the kids are old enough to hold it in their mouths.

there's a reason my son's nd uses the thermoscan - patients are more likely to allow it.    my son won't allow the thermoscan (he will fight and hit if anyone tries), there is no way in hades he'll do an oral.  they'll hand it to him so he can do it himself - and he still won't cooperate.

he won't stand on the scale without lots of encouragement either (and not always).  I left a ped of 30 years because he threw a hissy ds wouldn't stand on the scale.  hello?  aspie?  afraid of standing on things that move?  (that ped used the ear thermometer - it was before the thermoscan.)

The IV steroids are working wonders! The swelling is greatly reduced. He looks like heck and he snored like freight train but he seems to be on the right track. We're still waiting to speak with the doctor which could be now or this evening but I have feeling he'll be able to leave today with oral steroids on board.

Thanks so much for all the good thoughts and prayers

I hope they are very careful in gradually tapering off of the steroids when the time comes.  I've been dealing with throat swelling for a couple of months and unless you are very gradual your body can have a sort of a "rebound" swelling when you are coming off of the steroids.  

there's a reason my son's nd uses the thermoscan - patients are more likely to allow it.    my son won't allow the thermoscan (he will fight and hit if anyone tries), there is no way in hades he'll do an oral.  they'll hand it to him so he can do it himself - and he still won't cooperate.

he won't stand on the scale without lots of encouragement either (and not always).  I left a ped of 30 years because he threw a hissy ds wouldn't stand on the scale.  hello?  aspie?  afraid of standing on things that move?  (that ped used the ear thermometer - it was before the thermoscan.)

Please don't think I'm trying to argue. I'm just sharing what my doctor wants. I realize that there are children for whatever reason would need different care.

Steroids (even low doses) make my daughter an insomniac.  She finally had to have a prescription for a pretty strong sleeping drug in order to even stay on the steroids.

If your son's still really sick, he might sleep and sleep, but if the insomnia kicks in once he's getting a bit better, you might want to call the dr about that.  Because your son's not going to get better if he's up for days on end.

(They also turned my daughter into a crab -- but she did get all our housework done in the wee hours of the morning.  This house has never been so clean.)

They are keeping him tonight so they can continue the steroids and begin tapering the dose here. He'll come home with a preset pack that will continue to lower each day.
The infectious doctor said it's all from the mono just a more severe case than they usually see. He has no idea why we had a relapse. The swelling is continuing to go down. Both doctors (ID and Internal Medicine) said he can resume activities as he is able.

Brought ds home this morning :hurray:  The swelling is all but gone. He said it feels like his tonsils are shedding now which he is not enjoying. He is exhausted. The hospital is not the place to rest! Hopefully he'll be up to getting back to school tomorrow night. There's only 3 weeks until finals.

Thank you all so much for the prayers and good thoughts!

One silver lining - we got to spend hours with his girlfriend (who we'd not met until the ER on Thurs) She's very sweet and will fit in with our brand of craziness quite well.

Steroids (even low doses) make my daughter an insomniac.  She finally had to have a prescription for a pretty strong sleeping drug in order to even stay on the steroids.

If your son's still really sick, he might sleep and sleep, but if the insomnia kicks in once he's getting a bit better, you might want to call the dr about that.  Because your son's not going to get better if he's up for days on end.

(They also turned my daughter into a crab -- but she did get all our housework done in the wee hours of the morning.  This house has never been so clean.)

I experience this effect as well. It's a reality that few doctors think to tell you about.

Brought ds home this morning :hurray: The swelling is all but gone. He said it feels like his tonsils are shedding now which he is not enjoying. He is exhausted. The hospital is not the place to rest! Hopefully he'll be up to getting back to school tomorrow night. There's only 3 weeks until finals.

Thank you all so much for the prayers and good thoughts!

One silver lining - we got to spend hours with his girlfriend (who we'd not met until the ER on Thurs) She's very sweet and will fit in with our brand of craziness quite well.

Are you sure it's wise to get him back to school so quickly? He was just severely ill to the point of being hospitalized, and is just now getting back home.

Personally, I would be putting his health ahead of his school obligations, and requesting a delay in his finals due to his illness.

I would hate to see him relapse again, and in order to avoid that, I think he needs rest and good care... and not just for a day or two. He's exhausted and run-down. It would seem to me that heading right back to school is the worst possible thing he could do.

Thank goodness he is home now.  Mono is such a tricky beast and everyone reacts to it differently.  When I had it I had what appeared to be allergic reactions everytime I exercised (hives and swelling).  I ended up in the ER twice being given epi for allergic reaction only to find out it was mono instead.  I really hope he gets enough rest and continues to heal up so he can finish out the term at school.  Will the school be willing to defer his exams for a later date if he relapses again in the next week or 2?

Are you sure it's wise to get him back to school so quickly? He was just severely ill to the point of being hospitalized, and is just now getting back home.

Personally, I would be putting his health ahead of his school obligations, and requesting a delay in his finals due to his illness.

I would hate to see him relapse again, and in order to avoid that, I think he needs rest and good care... and not just for a day or two. He's exhausted and run-down. It would seem to me that heading right back to school is the worst possible thing he could do.

Unfortunately he doesn't have much choice in the matter. His scholarships are almost all GPA related and they are huge scholarships. With only three weeks left he doesn't have much room for error. We may not be moving him back on campus though. We may drive him back and forth so he's home to rest and be taken care of.

If we had any way of doing it, he'd be off for the next several weeks.