Menu

New to buying from Amazon - is it cheaper?

momee

DH wants me to use our new Prime membership to buy things I would normally get from - say Target - because he said they are cheaper.

I'm trying to buy Burts Bees baby shampoo/body wash and all I'm finding is either a third party company (I have to pay shipping for) or an expensive $12 bottle. 

Would anyone be so kind as to help me?

Another example, I'm trying to buy some stickers to reward my daughter's good handwriting.  We're looking for Frozen stickers but again, I can't find any under $16.  I KNOW a pack of stickers aren't that expensive.

What am I doing wrong?

You have to compare prices.  I buy a lot from Amazon but it's not going to be the cheapest place to get everything. Look for items designated "prime" for free shipping. 

On some things like shampoo (and others such as grocery items), a single bottle will cost a lot in shipping but perhaps a case of 6 might be prime eligible and thus free.  Don't assume just because it's sold on Amazon it's going to be cheaper.  I don't think you are doing anything wrong except perhaps assuming that Amazon = cheaper on everything.

You still have to comparison shop. 

I save money on grocery items through subscribe and save.

I don't do prime. I keep a running cart until I meet the minimum for free shipping. I only buy things that qualify for free shipping.

Yes, many things are cheaper through Amazon, but you need to compare.

If you shop at Target, do you have a Target 5% card. You can shop Target online with your Target card and get free shipping and the 5% discount. 

Make sure you're logged into amazon when you're searching products. The prime products often show up first in searches.

It's not always cheaper than buying locally--sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. And prices change on amazon, sometimes the same day.

Well, according to this link, the Baby wash is a 3 pack of 12oz, sounds like a good deal to me and it's through amazon prime.http://www.amazon.com/Burts-Bees-Shampoo-Fluid-Ounces/dp/B006L3MDDC/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1394032663&sr=1-1&keywords=burts+bees

I always price check first, but I live in the middle of nowhere and Amazon Prime has been a HUGE benefit to us.

Don't forget to use the subscribe and save option.  Someone already mentioned it, but it really is worthwhile.  You'll save 5% no matter what, but if you have 5 items shipping on the same day you'll save 20%.  I juggle our subscribe and save stuff around all the time, and always save the 20%.

You have to price check just like anywhere else.

I just bought a Skip Hop backpack on Amazon for $17 Prime. it would have been $20 in the stores.

Your best bet for Frozen stickers may be a book like this: http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Sticker-Book-Frozen-Books/dp/1465414053/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1394033436&sr=8-2&keywords=Frozen+stickers with 60 stickers inside.

By the way, anything Frozen is at a premium right now. I went the Disney store because I thought they would have a better selection for DD5's birthday but was told by the cashier that Disney underestimated demand and things are hard to find. Target, Walmart, Toys 'r' Us are all basically sold out. The prices on line are stupidly high.

So I would not judge Amazon prices by the cost of Frozen things. 

As others said, you have to comparison shop just as with shopping at only brick and mortar stores. Do you have a smart phone? If so, get the Amazon shopping app. It has a barcode scanner. When you're at Target or other places you usually shop, you can scan in the barcode and see if it's cheaper at Amazon.

You can download the amazon app and then check things when you're in the store. With the app you'll be able to scan the barcode and get the price. Once you have amazon set to one-click, you can one click and be done with your prime shipping.  

Remember, your time is worth something too.  I wouldn't spend 30 minutes trying to save $1 on stickers, kwim?

I just recently was checking this as I would love to simplify my shopping. The things I found cheaper were on subscribe and save. Like a case of TP. Things I checked like ziploc and trash bags were not.  Winco was cheaper for almond flour and coconut flour. Gluten free stuff was cheaper at Target with the 5% savings with the redcard (I have the debit one, so no bill at the end of the month).

I made a list and went down item by item. Vitamins on subscribe and save were a good deal for me (mainly because we look for vegetarian options, so cheaper options don't work for us).

Another way to save at Target is to use their Cartwheel app. They have a lot of great deals on it and it changes regularly. For example, there is almost always a coupon for 5% off of milk. When coupled with the red card discount, that's 10%. Often there is a Cartwheel coupon for their store brand products, I've seen it as high as 25% off. When I am at Target, I open my Cartwheel app, scan the item and it tells me if there is a Cartwheel coupon. I add any coupons I find to my Cartwheel, the app is scanned at checkout and the discounts come off of the total amount. There are Cartwheel coupons for just about every department in the store - toys, groceries, pet supplies, sheets & pillows, clothing, etc.. It's a great deal for little investment. 

as with *any* store, prices vary.  no one store ever has all the best prices.    sometimes I can even get better deals at places other than Costco.  sometimes amazon is cheaper - it certainly has better selection.  (but not in everything.)

shop around for the item you want to compare.  sometimes you can find them for less elsewhere, sometimes amazon will be a better deal.  sometimes amazon is cheaper; sometimes I can get it locally for less, but I have to make a special trip in a direction I don't go.

while I do like that "add-on" items really can be a good deal, I don't always have a $25 order to go - even for prime   (I just did that. I ordered one of something of which I was supposed to order two. . . . . )

It always varies, but I find that local on-sale often beats Amazon.  Regular prices often do not, although it depends.  I was buying bulk cleaner/soap from Amazon, and then found that singles were actually cheaper through my food co-op.

Unfortunately there's no one place that's cheaper.

Something else to remember is that, for my state anyway, Amazon doesn't charge tax.  So even if it is a dollar or so more, they're not charging tax AND I didn't have to bundle up the kids and trudge to the store and buy a pack of tp.

I find I save on time, gas, impulse buys and incidental expenses by shopping online -usually Amazon. We are 25 miles from Target. 50 miles worth of gas, half a day out, probably lunch, at least a snack, and whatever cute nick knacks I didn't know I needed all add up. Half the time, I can't find what I am looking for anyway. 

If I order online, I can price compare, and order exactly what I want, without any additional expense. I don't have or want prime. I use free shipping. Walmart has site-to-store. Order online, pick it up in the store. Many items ship free free or$0.99 cents. 

Something else to remember is that, for my state anyway, Amazon doesn't charge tax.  So even if it is a dollar or so more, they're not charging tax AND I didn't have to bundle up the kids and trudge to the store and buy a pack of tp.

In my state we have to report online sales when we file our state income taxes.

DH wants me to use our new Prime membership to buy things I would normally get from - say Target - because he said they are cheaper.

Target has price matching and free Wi-Fi.  If something is not urgent, you could just go to Target and price match, use the red card to pay and get a 5% discount on top of the cheaper price after price matching.

For some things Amazon is cheaper, for some my local supermarket is cheaper.  For other things like box of diapers when my kids were two under two, it is having them delivered to my doorstep that I am happy about as long as the price is about that of Wal-Mart or Target.

I often use Amazon.  We are more rural so it takes several dollars in gas just to get to the store and then the time I spend in the store (and any impulse purchases while I am there).  I can just sit at home, find the exact item I need, click on the prime button and quite often it is cheaper or within a dollar of the local stores.  It is a money saver for me then as I don't have to drive the 15 miles just to get to the store and spend the time there and drive back...........instead in 2 days I have it at my door.

Do watch the prices though as they are not always the cheapest and watch reviews as a couple of times I have seen where people say the picture/description doesn't exactly match so you want to make sure you are getting the real thing.

I've always paid sales tax on Amazon purchases, right from my first ever online text book purchase in 1998.  That's Seattle. 

Tax free online purchasing is going to die out sooner or later. 

You're in Amazon's home territory. Everyone is supposed to pay their state sales taxes. Amazon is required to collect taxes in state where it has a presence. For example, if there's a warehouse in your state, they collect tax. If not, the individual is supposed to declare and pay those taxes at tax time. Most people don't. Because of that, things will likely change and all online retailers will probably soon be required to collect taxes. Regardless of when that happens, Amazon is building a warehouse in Florida, so we Floridians will soon be paying taxes at the point of purchase from Amazon.

You're in Amazon's home territory. Everyone is supposed to pay their state sales taxes. Amazon is required to collect taxes in state where it has a presence. For example, if there's a warehouse in your state, they collect tax. If not, the individual is supposed to declare and pay those taxes at tax time. Most people don't. Because of that, things will likely change and all online retailers will probably soon be required to collect taxes. Regardless of when that happens, Amazon is building a warehouse in Florida, so we Floridians will soon be paying taxes at the point of purchase from Amazon.

No, I get that. 

I do think that the tax loophole has been largely at the expense of small businesses.  On many products Amazon's price isn't lower, but without sales tax it is cheaper to buy from them.  As you say most states technically require residents to pay taxes for online purchases but people just don't.  I don't think that people failing to comply with state law should be a competitive edge for a megastore.  But then I've been ambivalent about Amazon for a long time now. 

No, I get that. 

I do think that the tax loophole has been largely at the expense of small businesses.  On many products Amazon's price isn't lower, but without sales tax it is cheaper to buy from them.  As you say most states technically require residents to pay taxes for online purchases but people just don't.  I don't think that people failing to comply with state law should be a competitive edge for a megastore.  But then I've been ambivalent about Amazon for a long time now. 

I love Amazon, but agree with the bolded. Often I find something is cheaper on Amazon only because of the lack of tax, so I'm just as guilty as others.

It's not always about price. There are things I can get at Amazon that I can't find in my city. If it's a choice between driving 30 miles or paying a little extra to have something delivered to my door, I choose the latter. 

I'm starting to look at items I buy on Amazon and mentally add state sales tax, so when they do start collecting it I'll already have an idea if Amazon is still the place to get the item.

I've always paid sales tax on Amazon purchases, right from my first ever online text book purchase in 1998.  That's Seattle. 

Tax free online purchasing is going to die out sooner or later. 

I was in Bellevue when I first started using Amazon, so I never got used to it being tax-free.