Menu

hotels....what is your experience?

ProudGrandma

starting Monday, we will be staying in about 6 different hotels in the next 10 days. While looking at the ammeneties, some mention basic things like iron/iron boards, WiFI, swimming pools and the like. But only some mention hair dryers and coffeepots in the room. So, I was wondering what is your experience.....are those just so basic now, that they don't bother to mention them...or if they aren't mentioned, they don't exisit?

We have hardly stayed in hotels...we don't travel that way very often, so I can't go on my expereince.

thanks.

Hmm... I think hotels mention every amenity they offer so they look better than their competitors- even if the only amenities are the hair dryer and coffee pot. 

So I would lean towards if they're not not being mentioned, they aren't there.   Unless you're looking at higher end hotels- then they're probably standard.

Most hotels have hair dryers and coffee makers. They may not have the latter if there is a coffee urn in the entry way (although even those with 24 hour coffee usually have coffee pots) or if the hotel is urban and super pricey.  This is one of those things that mystifies me:  a cheapo Days Inn offers free internet but top of the line Marriotts may charge.  The latter may be the case when the hotel caters to business travelers.  Of course the corporation will pick up the $15 a day Internet fee as well as $50 per day parking. 

If you are staying in typical chain motels off the highway or near tourist attractions, I think you can expect basic amenities everywhere.

I'll agree with looking at the reviews with tripadvisor.  We've been in many motels.  None of us drink coffee, so no clue there (though the last couple we were in had them).  I expect hair dryers in them and had quit bringing my own... then hit a motel in FL without one.  Oh well!  Most have them, but it's not guaranteed.

Do watch parking charges - esp around cities.  Some motels like to lower their nightly charge to appear less expensive, then hit you with major parking fees.  Free breakfasts are a nice perk too, but what they offer during those breakfasts varies a bit from packaged "junk" to nicely set out hot (or cold) buffets with options suitable for anyone.

I haven't seen a WIFI charge in many moons - at least - not in the US.

Just call ahead. A lot of times the info online is wrong. When we traveled all summer with our dog, some of the hotels online said they allowed pets, but when we called they said they only allowed service animals. We also called ahead to make sure the pool was open, to verify a non-smoking room, to ask for a roll away, and to ask for a room away from the elevator. 

If it's a hotel (rather than a motel), then even if there isn't an iron/ironing board in your room, the front desk will probably have one you can borrow.  I'd say the majority -- not necessarily most, just the majority -- of hotels have a hair dryer (and again, you can often borrow one from the front desk).  As far as coffeemakers, I'd say the majority do NOT have them, which is always a bummer!  They'll often have coffee on tap in the lobby or breakfast area, but it's usually not as strong as I like it.  :)

Our experience when traveling with our rocket team is that, Days Inn, Best Western, Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn, etc. have all had ironing boards, irons, and coffee pots. Sometimes we get a microwave and refrigerator but those are always listed in the amenities. Free Wi-Fi too.

We had NOTHING at the Crown Plaza. But, then we didn't need those either. We were there for a more high end trip and his corporation was paying the tab.

One thing we have liked about some Holiday Inns was the option of "green rooms" which were ones with hypoallergenic carpet and bedding and cleaned with all natural, plant based products...no chlorines, ammonia, etc. These are very nice for me when my immune system is in overdrive during ragweed season.

The Westin is our favorite, hands down, everywhere. They are expensive compared to many chains, but the beds and bedding are a piece of heaven. Best nights sleep away from home I have ever had! The rooms are generously sized as is the bathroom, and we usually have a refrigerator and microwave in addition to very nice in room coffee and coffee pot, etc. The pools are always very lovely.

We tend to book through Expedia most of the time and have found that they list every, single amenity for each hotel...detailed lists that have been 100% accurate in our experience.

You have to call them individually.

They vary so much, even from one to the other within chains.

I went on a college trip with DD a couple of weeks ago and stayed in a Hilton in Chicago and a Doubletree by Hilton in Denver.  They couldn't have been more different.  The Doubletree had free breakfast, free wifi, free parking, and fantastic service.  The restaurant was low key and very good.  It also had a fitness center and a computer room where I could print out the next boarding passes for free.

The Hilton Chicago charged outrageously for parking ($50ish per night) (I didn't use it), and had no free breakfast.  There was a restaurant with an elegant sounding menu but the food itself was terrible and grossly overpriced. The heating system didn't work right.  And it had a computer monitor that turned itself on every morning and flashed advertisements at us even when we turned it off.

The Hilton Minneapolis where I stayed in November had good food, good service, but no free parking or shuttles to the airport.

All had coffee in the rooms.

I use my smart phone for a hotspot when a place doesn't have free wifi so I don't remember whether the Chicago or Minneapolis Hiltons had that or not.

IME hairdryersand coffeepots are always in every hotel we have stayed at.   I think  once I had to call the front desk and ask for a hairdryer.

Also, a suggestion, hotel rooms do not have enough towels or wash cloths so I always ask for a couple extra sets when I check in.

We had NOTHING at the Crown Plaza. But, then we didn't need those either. We were there for a more high end trip and his corporation was paying the tab.

Boston Marriott Copley Plaza:  $12.95 for Internet; $16.95 for "enhanced" high speed Internet.  That is per day.

They did not even have a stinking coffee maker in the room.  One could go downstairs to the Starbucks though. 

All this at several hundred bucks per night plus $37-$47 per night for parking.  As in Faith's case, my husband's corporation was picking up the tab. 

High end urban hotels will charge for every small amenity that is free at the Econolodge.  This is one of those marketing things that has probably been analyzed but astounds me!

We stay at many hotels every year. I think generally hotels are pretty explicit with their amenities. And I also agree fancier places tend to individually nickel and dime you for everything - parking, internet, etc. Super annoying.

High end urban hotels will charge for every small amenity that is free at the Econolodge.  This is one of those marketing things that has probably been analyzed but astounds me!

That explains it.  We're not urban lovers and hardly ever stay in the high end area of cities as we can't justify the costs when there are decent alternatives.  (Last time we were in a real "downtown" of a major city we stayed at a Hampton Inn.)

We will stay higher end elsewhere, but generally not super high if there are decent alternatives.  We're members of both Hilton and Choice Hotels frequent guest programs - and other than those might head toward Holiday Inn or something - as we did on the beach at Ocean City last month.  The one time we stayed at a Wyndham (in Philly) we were quite disappointed comparing cost to what we got.  We haven't been to one since. 

We travel enough and tend to have a flexible enough budget that we can pick what we like, but that doesn't mean we want to spend $$ for some sort of name or perceived prestige.  ;)  We will spend more for things we like - like location or a superb view, but not for "name brand" or wonderful lobbies.

The motel that didn't have the hair dryer was right on the beach in Florida (and not a chain).  It was a fair trade off.  We paid for the view, not the hair dryer.

Boston Marriott Copley Plaza:  $12.95 for Internet; $16.95 for "enhanced" high speed Internet.  That is per day.

They did not even have a stinking coffee maker in the room.  One could go downstairs to the Starbucks though. 

All this at several hundred bucks per night plus $37-$47 per night for parking.  As in Faith's case, my husband's corporation was picking up the tab. 

Yep, I think Marriott is one of the worst for up-charges.  They cater to business travelers.  They have lower corporate rates, so I think that they charge for everything they can to get corporations to pay for add-ons.  For frequent travelers on the loyalty plans, the add-ons can be free so only the infrequent travelers end up paying for the charges. 

We stayed in one a few weeks ago,  The coffee pot was tucked away,  beside the fridge, with both behind a cupboard door. There was a Starbucks in the lobby and I figured they hide the coffee pot to encourage you to go to Starbucks instead.  I didn't even notice it for the first few days we were there.  LOL   Internet was over $70 for 3 days (free with dhs perks plan) but parking was $25 per day.  There was a room safe, ironing board and hair dryer though so at least the basics were covered.  And the bed....mmmmmm....it was super comfy for a hotel bed. 

I used to travel all the time for work.  One thing I learned was that if you cared about an amenity, you called to make sure it was available.  Some things are available in many rooms, but not all rooms.  For example, because I traveled all the time, I got tired of restaurant food.  So, a fridge in the room for leftovers was important to me.  If I called ahead, it was always in my room because they'd make a note that I cared about that.  

If a cheaper hotel doesn't list wifi or swimming pools, don't expect them to have them.  (sometimes they'll have an iron/et. al that you have to ask for at the desk.)  actually, any hotel that doesn't list a pool I would expect doesn't have one.

before we needed internet, we'd stay in a motel 6 because that was what our budget could handle.  I now prefer to stay in a marriot residence inn (if available.), as some have two bedrooms (instead of just one) so they'll officially sleep six.  plus you get a full kitchen, a full breakfast in their main lobby area - and have swimming pools, hardwired internet/wifi, etc.  a suite there has often worked out to be less than two cheaper motel rooms where I'd also have to go buy breakfast.  (eta: wow - I guess I haven't done too much travel lately, as I'd never had up-charges for those. they were all part of the rate.)

If a cheaper hotel doesn't list wifi or swimming pools, don't expect them to have them.  (sometimes they'll have an iron/et. al that you have to ask for at the desk.)  actually, any hotel that doesn't list a pool I would expect doesn't have one.

before we needed internet, we'd stay in a motel 6 because that was what our budget could handle.  I now prefer to stay in a marriot residence inn (if available.), as some have two bedrooms (instead of just one) so they'll officially sleep six.  plus you get a full kitchen, a full breakfast in their main lobby area - and have swimming pools, hardwired internet/wifi, etc.  a suite there has often worked out to be less than two cheaper motel rooms where I'd also have to go buy breakfast.  (eta: wow - I guess I haven't done too much travel lately, as I'd never had up-charges for those. they were all part of the rate.)

I agree that Residence Inns are a good family choice.

We have found that it is sometimes worthwhile to spend a few extra bucks for an indoor swimming pool--especially if you are driving all day in the non-summer months.  When my son was little, it was a great way to get the energy out of his system. But even now I enjoy a swim--if the pool is larger than a small puddle. Some of the indoor pools are tiny!

What I do is find a chain that has everything we like then try to stick with that chain throughout our travels. The consistency is comforting. The predictability is good for planning.

We like family suites because we are more than just four people. We like a pool with waterslide. We like free hot breakfast. There are two chains that offer these, that I know of, so we stick with those two chains whenever we can.

I used to travel all the time for work.  One thing I learned was that if you cared about an amenity, you called to make sure it was available.  Some things are available in many rooms, but not all rooms.  For example, because I traveled all the time, I got tired of restaurant food.  So, a fridge in the room for leftovers was important to me.  If I called ahead, it was always in my room because they'd make a note that I cared about that.  

Calling ahead to the actual hotel (not a central phone office) is especially important for things like pools, to make sure they are open during the time you are there.  

I stay in hotels all the time, and most of them have a small fridge and microwave. I think hotel coffee makers and hair dryers sound germy. They do not seem like items to share with strangers. I suggest, if there is a microwave, that you carry those little Starbucks instant packs. They aren't great coffee, but better than the kind brewed in your own hotel room. You can boil the water in a microwave. Just pour carefully.

And take a real coffee cup. Life is too short for styrofoam. I carry a real coffee cup, a real wine glass, a candle and matches, socks, and a supply of Lysol wipes. I wipe down the tv remote and other surface ares. The candle is for the musty smell some rooms have. The socks are to keep me from walking on the carpet. In my normal life, I am only slightly germ phobic. But in hotels, being germ phobic is really necessary.

For room amenities,  coffee maker is not always provided.  Coffee at the lobby would be 24/7 in that case.

Some have dryers and some don't.  Microwave is also not a given.  Refrigerator range from bar fridge to full size fridge.

If the room has a en-suite kitchenette usually everything is provided.

Breakfast may be complimentary or per person per day.

Some Hyatt and Marriott do charge for Wi-Fi if it is not listed as included. They charge parking too per day. 

The Hilton Chicago charged outrageously for parking ($50ish per night) (I didn't use it), and had no free breakfast.  There was a restaurant with an elegant sounding menu but the food itself was terrible and grossly overpriced. The heating system didn't work right.  And it had a computer monitor that turned itself on every morning and flashed advertisements at us even when we turned it off.

We've stayed there half a dozen times when dh has attended conferences held on site.  I love that hotel's location and love that the rooms we have stayed in had two bathrooms. I HATED the parking fee, no free breakfast, no free internet, and no pool.      The only time we've eaten at the restaurant we ordered fruit and yogurt- and three of those came to about $30...and that was years ago. 

It's so weird how the higher priced hotels charge for things that low priced hotels include! 

But in hotels, being germ phobic is really necessary.

No offense, but that's an opinion rather than a fact.  ;)

We stay in various levels of motels from cheap to mid-priced to somewhat expensive quite a bit, go barefoot, use the hairdryer, cups, TV remote, and pretty much anything else with no sanitary wipes at all and I can't remember the last time we were sick (period, much less due to the motel/hotel).

We're all entitled to our own opinions... mine is that the more one is exposed to the more immunity one keeps up.

No offense, but that's an opinion rather than a fact. ;)

We stay in various levels of motels from cheap to mid-priced to somewhat expensive quite a bit, go barefoot, use the hairdryer, cups, TV remote, and pretty much anything else with no sanitary wipes at all and I can't remember the last time we were sick (period, much less due to the motel/hotel).

We're all entitled to our own opinions... mine is that the more one is exposed to the more immunity one keeps up.

Not offended at all! My opinion is based on research - there was a (to me) pretty horrifying study of hundreds of hotel of hotel rooms a few years ago that found fecal matter and other germs in many rooms. Obviously that doesn't mean it's a fact you will get sick in a hotel room. But I think it's more than an opinion that hotel rooms are potentially fairly germy places.

How much one should care about that is probably an opinion based 'cost benefit' analysis. I find the inconvenience associated with a few precautions small, and hate hard hate to be sick. So it's my opinion that wiping down public surfaces is worth it. But I did probably overstate the case.

Not offended at all! My opinion is based on research - there was a (to me) pretty horrifying study of hundreds of hotel of hotel rooms a few years ago that found fecal matter and other germs in many rooms. Obviously that doesn't mean it's a fact you will get sick in a hotel room. But I think it's more than an opinion that hotel rooms are potentially fairly germy places.

How much one should care about that is probably an opinion based 'cost benefit' analysis. I find the inconvenience associated with a few precautions small, and hate hard hate to be sick. So it's my opinion that wiping down public surfaces is worth it. But I did probably overstate the case.

I don't disagree that the germs are likely to be there.  I just believe that exposure to germs keeps (most) people healthy by keeping the immune system strong.  The latter statement matches a bit of current research... I also hate being sick - and can't remember the last time I was - even though I sub at school and follow right after teachers who are home sick and deal with sick students on a daily basis as well as not caring about germs in motel rooms.  ;)

Those with compromised immune systems ought to be more cautious, of course.  This could include those who haven't kept their immune system up by being "too clean."

I don't disagree that the germs are likely to be there.  I just believe that exposure to germs keeps (most) people healthy by keeping the immune system strong.  The latter statement matches a bit of current research... I also hate being sick - and can't remember the last time I was - even though I sub at school and follow right after teachers who are home sick and deal with sick students on a daily basis as well as not caring about germs in motel rooms.  ;)

Those with compromised immune systems ought to be more cautious, of course.  This could include those who haven't kept their immune system up by being "too clean."

Yeah, you may be right.  I don't get sick much either, and my kids have mostly been quite healthy (unjinx!!!) but I know that these places are likely to harbor fecal matter and other bad characters,  so really, how hard it is to wipe down the major offenders with wipes?  I really travel a lot, so *to me* (and yes, it's an opinion) taking basic precautions about hotel room sanitation seems like a three minute "no brainer." 

And really, even if I had a written, signed and sealed guarantee from God that I would not get sick, the thought of coming in contact with random fecal matter is revolting.  Intellectually I know that I probably come in contact with it other places at times, but since I read the reports of what is common in hotel rooms, I want to feel like I am doing what I can to limit my fecal matter contact. 

Most hotels have hair dryers and coffee makers. They may not have the latter if there is a coffee urn in the entry way (although even those with 24 hour coffee usually have coffee pots) or if the hotel is urban and super pricey. This is one of those things that mystifies me: a cheapo Days Inn offers free internet but top of the line Marriotts may charge. The latter may be the case when the hotel caters to business travelers. Of course the corporation will pick up the $15 a day Internet fee as well as $50 per day parking.

If you are staying in typical chain motels off the highway or near tourist attractions, I think you can expect basic amenities everywhere.

The higher end hotels assume that the patron is not a budget traveller or is a business traveller. Cost is not an issue for these individuals. This may not make any sense to an average traveller, but a person who is willing to spend 200 plus for a room is not going to fret about a 15 dollar wifi fee.

The higher end hotels assume that the patron is not a budget traveller or is a business traveller. Cost is not an issue for these individuals. This may not make any sense to an average traveller, but a person who is willing to spend 200 plus for a room is not going to fret about a 15 dollar wifi fee.

For business travelers I agree since they aren't really paying for anything - they pass on the cost if they even start paying it.

However, I'm not so sure about the rest.  We can easily spend 200+ per night on a room (we're doing it next month actually) and we definitely want free wifi (and free parking) with it. I don't mind paying for what we want, but I still want value.  In our circle, this is quite common.  We're by no means the wealthiest family in our circle, but many got where they are BECAUSE they insist on value when they pay for something.  Some wouldn't even consider paying 200+ unless there were no other option.  ;) 

We're doing it because we want waterfront.  We won't do it in other areas when there are less expensive perfectly good options.  It doesn't matter that we CAN.

I'm sure there are some who don't care, but our circle includes multi-millionaires, so it definitely isn't all and I'm not so sure it's even the majority aside from business travelers.  I guess our circle includes many who could be in the Millionaire Next Door book.  Those who wouldn't care probably fit in The Great Gatsby.  Totally different worlds.

For business travelers I agree since they aren't really paying for anything - they pass on the cost if they even start paying it.

However, I'm not so sure about the rest.  We can easily spend 200+ per night on a room (we're doing it next month actually) and we definitely want free wifi (and free parking) with it. I don't mind paying for what we want, but I still want value.  In our circle, this is quite common.  We're by no means the wealthiest family in our circle, but many got where they are BECAUSE they insist on value when they pay for something.  Some wouldn't even consider paying 200+ unless there were no other option.  ;)

We're doing it because we want waterfront.  We won't do it in other areas when there are less expensive perfectly good options.  It doesn't matter that we CAN.

I'm sure there are some who don't care, but our circle includes multi-millionaires, so it definitely isn't all and I'm not so sure it's even the majority aside from business travelers.  I guess our circle includes many who could be in the Millionaire Next Door book.  Those who wouldn't care probably fit in The Great Gatsby.  Totally different worlds.

Totally agree.  We have a group of friends who are multi millionaires and they are more frugal than we are. They pay when they think they're getting value for their money- they'll happily pay $60k for a new Corvette but  balk at paying $15 for wifi for one evening.   

2dd - (PharmD candidate) likes to joke the reason she doesn't have any allergies and is so healthy is that she would do face plants, with her mouth wide open, in their "sand box" when she was two.  drove me nuts.  but I have seen some studies supporting the idea that getting out and being in the dirt is good for your immune system. (conventional gardening is just fine.)

Totally agree.  We have a group of friends who are multi millionaires and they are more frugal than we are. They pay when they think they're getting value for their money- they'll happily pay $60k for a new Corvette but  balk at paying $15 for wifi for one evening.   

there are people who've commented that they've been behind bill gates in line in the medina store (little corner mom-n-pop store in his neighborhood)  - and he's using coupon's.

Hubby works with several who finance developments.  There are definitely things that turn them way off.  ;)

2dd - (PharmD candidate) likes to joke the reason she doesn't have any allergies and is so healthy is that she would do face plants, with her mouth wide open, in their "sand box" when she was two.  drove me nuts.  but I have seen some studies supporting the idea that getting out and being in the dirt is good for your immune system. (conventional gardening is just fine.)

I did many face plants riding horses throughout my youth... and that wasn't all dirt we were riding over - well, I guess it was when we were riding over it, but that's not what it WAS originally.  Cats, dogs, and horses all love rolling in it too - then we brush them or let them sit in our laps or whatever.  We've also done gardening - and guess what we use for fertilizer...

A farm (or outdoor life in general) is an exposed life.  I'm ok with that.

I suspect our difference here is that I grew up on and currently live on a farm.  _____ happens.  :)

This is off the original topic but I had to laugh.  We have a hobby farm with 3 horses, a dog, 2 cats and 2 lizards now.  We had chickens until fall and will get more in the spring.   .............just happens and a lot.

Interestingly my girls have been the healthiest they have ever been since we got horses 7 years ago.  They both have documented immune deficiencies (one was just weeks away from getting a port and infusions) and yet they are now rarely sick.  I am NOT a clean freak or worried too much about it.  Just try to remember to wash your hands when you come in from the barn after you have been picking up manure or cleaning a gelding's sheath.

This is off the original topic but I had to laugh.  We have a hobby farm with 3 horses, a dog, 2 cats and 2 lizards now.  We had chickens until fall and will get more in the spring.   .............just happens and a lot.

Interestingly my girls have been the healthiest they have ever been since we got horses 7 years ago.  They both have documented immune deficiencies (one was just weeks away from getting a port and infusions) and yet they are now rarely sick.  I am NOT a clean freak or worried too much about it.  Just try to remember to wash your hands when you come in from the barn after you have been picking up manure or cleaning a gelding's sheath.

As a kid I'll admit I didn't always subscribe to the washing hands deal... now that I'm an adult I do, but I know my boys followed in my footsteps.  Youngest often picks things out of our garden or off trees and eats them without washing too (we don't use pesticides).

One incident I had as a brand new mama taking my baby (maybe 3 - 4 months old) to visit with a wheelchair bound friend - in her wheelchair due to childhood polio - changed my mind for good.   He dropped his pacifier on her floor.  I picked it up, put it aside, and gave him another one from my baby bag.  She asked me why I did that.  "To sterilize it since it dropped on the floor," I said.  She told me not to "baby" him.  That in her day it was never the kids who grew up outdoors and in the dirt who got polio - it was those who came from "clean" families (like hers) who tried to have their babies avoid all risks when they were super young.  They had no natural immunity.  (Her views - I have nothing to substantiate them.)  I kept that advice in my heart and relaxed a ton.  I'll admit to never letting my guys play with raw chicken... and trying to get them to wash up before eating, but that was about it.

Then later, as I've come across those research articles now and then that seem to show farm kids and outdoor kids and others who have been exposed to more when young tend to do better overall... it's definitely made me wonder if she was right all along - even if the jury is still out on it all.  Then I find myself glad that I listened to her advice.

We currently have 7 ponies, 3 cats, and chickens.  In previous years we had up to 28 ponies, 2 dogs, 8 cats, and chickens.  If there's any truth to it, my guys should be reasonably set!  They do have the occasional cold (more now for the two who are at college), but they've never had the flu.  Time will tell I suppose, but I've no regrets.