Menu

What's with all the rehashing of the Kerrigan/Harding drama?

Jean in Newcastle

20th anniversary I guess.  I don't watch it on TV but I have seen tidbits about it online (links and banner ads) and even heard about it on the radio at some point in the last week or so.  Apparently, figure skating ratings are at a 20 year low so I think they are digging low, very low, to boost interest. 

I think it's a combo of the 20th anniversary, as a pp said, and the fact that Nancy Kerrigan is now willing to talk about it. Plus, of course, they are shiling the program that is coming on Sunday. I hate when the news "hour" basically serves as a commercial for upcoming programming.

20th anniversary I guess.  I don't watch it on TV but I have seen tidbits about it online (links and banner ads) and even heard about it on the radio at some point in the last week or so.  Apparently, figure skating ratings are at a 20 year low so I think they are digging low, very low, to boost interest. 

You'd think that maybe they could figure out that figure skating ratings are low because there are long commercials in between almost every skate, and it can be rather boring with all the commercials and commentary.  I don't have the time to watch an hour's worth of programming for maybe not even 30 minutes worth of actual coverage.   And also, skating is always covered late at night, with NBC trying to keep people watching as long as possible.  I've missed skating I'd like to see, just because I'm not willing to stay up late for it, and I get so annoyed with the way they drag it out.

You'd think that maybe they could figure out that figure skating ratings are low because there are long commercials in between almost every skate, and it can be rather boring with all the commercials and commentary.  I don't have the time to watch an hour's worth of programming for maybe not even 30 minutes worth of actual coverage.   And also, skating is always covered late at night, with NBC trying to keep people watching as long as possible.  I've missed skating I'd like to see, just because I'm not willing to stay up late for it, and I get so annoyed with the way they drag it out.

OMG!!  The commentary is so annoying.  Shut up and let us watch the skating!   I don't normally get into the figure skating competition but it's been on occasionally with the kids and I'll stop by to watch it. I can't stand the constant chatter DURING the skating routines.    Why can't they wait until the replay to talk?

I don't have the time to watch an hour's worth of programming for maybe not even 30 minutes worth of actual coverage.

The men's short program was the worst. I sat there for an hour or so waiting for skating to start. Then they showed two men skate and one withdraw. Then I waited another 1 1/2 hours, thinking I'd see another seven men skate. Nope! They only bothered with three more. Ugh!

The men's short program was the worst. I sat there for an hour or so waiting for skating to start. Then they showed two men skate and one withdraw. Then I waited another 1 1/2 hours, thinking I'd see another seven men skate. Nope! They only bothered with three more. Ugh!

I agree.  When someone falls hard, or withdraws, they extend the coverage of those to about a half hour each!  And still cover it over and over again.

Another thing that is bugging me about skating, and this is not NBC's fault, but I do not like the newer way of scoring.  I read about why they changed it, but I actually think it makes it easier for judges to be arbitrary, or to make voting agreements with other judges, because it's all covered up.  I think when all the scores are shown, there is more accountability.   I'm no skating expert, but sometimes it seems to me there is no rhyme or reason to the scoring.

And all those men trying to do quads to get the extra points, and then most of them falling.  I'd rather see someone successfully complete a triple.  It seems weird to me that relatively few points are subtracted when one falls, as long as all the rotations are made.  But, like I said, I'm not an expert, and I don't even pretend to understand, but these are some of the reasons I'm not as thrilled with skating as I used to be.  In the past, I'd never shut off the TV in the middle of skating coverage, but now I do.

I had definite opinions on Tonya and always viewed her as the better skater, but view her differently personally after reading about her past and her husband's abuse.  I honestly never liked Nancy, even during the drama.  And of course, my opinion of her sank lower when she had an affair with, and eventually married her much older, already married manager.   (Sorry, but I have zero tolerance for women who sleep with other women's husbands.)  

This was the article on Tonya:  http://www.believermag.com/issues/201401/?read=article_marshall

The Russian still completed the same number of jumps that Yuna Kim did, she had more in her program. She had a lot of points planned.

I didn't see a break down of what they did, so you may have something there. But for degree of execution - elegant lines, flow into and out of jumps, positions, interpreting the music - in my mind, there was certainly not a 5 point advantage to the Russian.

Even DH commented on how graceful Yuna Kim was compared to the other skaters. I loved her classy looking costume, too. I thought a lot of the others were tacky looking.

As far as the men, I enjoyed Jason Brown the best. It looked like there was nothing he'd rather be doing at that moment than performing for the audience. Most of the other men looked very serious, like it was a job they needed to do well at, but didn't necessarily like. Brown wasn't the best skater, but he seemed to have the most fun and connect with the audience in a way the others didn't.

The ice skating has been so boring this year they have to come up with something.

I usually love women's figure skating, and figure skating in general, but checked the results at dinnertime last night so I didn't have to waste my evening actually watching the event and went to bed early. ;) 

I miss Scott Hamilton and Katerina Witt, Sale and Pelletier, and Torvill and Dean, and all the others who were entertainers as well as competitors. I miss the ones who loved the audience and the audience loved them back. Yes, I'm old and yes I wish there were a little more good attitude on the ice. I want to see someone out there who is comfortable with and loves their skating, not fretting over whether they'll make the next sextuplet axel into a octagonal toe loop.

#badattitudeabouticeskatingthisOlympics

#DHsendingmetoIceCapades :seeya:

I didn't see a break down of what they did, so you may have something there. But for degree of execution - elegant lines, flow into and out of jumps, positions, interpreting the music - in my mind, there was certainly not a 5 point advantage to the Russian.

I thought Yuna's program, while nicely executed, was predictable and somewhat ... I don't know, boring? It also had a lower technical score than most of the other skaters from what I read; if you're going for gold, you give it your all. I liked the flair of Adelina's program better. She had some fun, unique moves (in addition to a more technical program), and her enthusiasm was palpable in both short and long programs.

I'm not saying there was no weirdness to the judging. the five point difference in their scores was questionable, and how Julia Lipnitskaya finished so high after falling in both long and short programs is crazy.  And the men's gold medalist fell once or twice in his long program.  I do understand that he won because he'd scored so highly on his short program, but it just seems weird that the gold (and silver) medalist fell while there were others who had technical and fun programs that didn't fall at all in their long and short programs. 

They interviewed Katarina Witt on CBC. She wasn't impressed with the results either. You're in good company.

Even DH commented on how graceful Yuna Kim was compared to the other skaters. I loved her classy looking costume, too. I thought a lot of the others were tacky looking.

As far as the men, I enjoyed Jason Brown the best. It looked like there was nothing he'd rather be doing at that moment than performing for the audience. Most of the other men looked very serious, like it was a job they needed to do well at, but didn't necessarily like. Brown wasn't the best skater, but he seemed to have the most fun and connect with the audience in a way the others didn't.

Loved him. I was obligated to cheer for Patrick Chan but Jason Brown was my favorite.

I liked the old days when , when you sat down to watch figure skating, it was shown in its entirety not like now when they let you watch 2 or 3 skaters then go away to another sport for about 1 1/2 hours and then back to figure skating.  This drives me crazy.  I also liked when they showed all the skaters so you saw the not so good and even some rather bad ones and they made one appreciate the best ones even more.

I thought it was because Nancy Kerrigan was going to be providing commentary? Is she not? I don't actually watch the Olympics but I swear I saw a story that she was going to be providing commentary and to be prepared for a whole new rehashing of what happened.

no. I think the American commentators are Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski. We've been watching CBC online instead. Kerrigan hasn't been open to interviews about this that I know of- she didn't participate in the documentary.

I think if this was Yuna Kim's debut, she'd have blown everyone out of the water. She's astonishingly graceful.  The young Russian skater has novelty and youth as well as amazing execution, so they gave her the gold. This is such a subjective sport.

no. I think the American commentators are Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski. We've been watching CBC online instead. Kerrigan hasn't been open to interviews about this that I know of- she didn't participate in the documentary.

Those two are on the cable version of NBC, regular NBC is just good old Scott Hamilton.

This made me laugh because last Monday I fell straight down on my knees  (I missed a bottom step that I didn't see), so my knees are bruised horribly (and actually all down my shins too).  The day after I fell the first bloom of bruising appeared and my dh said, "holy crap, Audrey!  Somebody's going to think I Gillooly-ed you!"  Boy, did that bring back memories. LOL!

And to your question... I think it must be just the US coverage because I haven't heard a peep about it from the CBC broadcasts at all.  

She did participate in the documentary, and she is giving interviews. 

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Nancy-Kerrigan-Tonya-Harding-Scandal-NBC-Documentary-Mary-Carillo-1078026.aspx

I think if this was Yuna Kim's debut, she'd have blown everyone out of the water. She's astonishingly graceful.  The young Russian skater has novelty and youth as well as amazing execution, so they gave her the gold. This is such a subjective sport.

Those two are on the cable version of NBC, regular NBC is just good old Scott Hamilton.

And that horrible Sandra Bezek - At least Scott Hamilton likes the skaters out there and has enthusiasm for the sport.  This Bezek woman just sounds like a bad poet who doesn't know it (like Ross on Friends and his "music" or his Ka ra TAY.)  She is annoying.  I wish I could have gotten the cable feed.  I would have enjoyed Weir and Lipinski's commentary. 

Tanya Harding cracks me up. She is basically everything a skater is not supposed to be. The stereotypical graceful and delicate thing, not at all.

Oh well. I hate the way they're doing the skating; I can barely stay up to watch it, and my kids have seen almost none of it.

Tanya Harding cracks me up. She is basically everything a skater is not supposed to be. The stereotypical graceful and delicate thing, not at all.

Oh well. I hate the way they're doing the skating; I can barely stay up to watch it, and my kids have seen almost none of it.

I feel bad for her. She is the opposite of elegant.   She's also an incredible athlete, and that would have mattered a whole lot more in any other sport. 

I feel bad for her. She is the opposite of elegant.   She's also an incredible athlete, and that would have mattered a whole lot more in any other sport. 

Totally. Maybe she was 20 years too early for half-pipe or skateboarding. But whatever happened with the attack on Nancy Kerrigan did not help her slightly thuggish image.

The difference was in the technical score, which is objective.

Their routines, before they ever hit the ice, have degree of difficulty based on the things they plan to attempt. The Russian's score of difficulty was much higher. Several skaters walked into the competition with a higher degree of difficulty than Yuna Kim did.

Here is an explanation of how the points were awarded by the NYT.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/02/20/sports/olympics/womens-figure-skating.html?_r=0

It is also on the Sochi Olympics website

http://www.sochi2014.com/en/figure-skating-ladies-free-skating

No, sorry, I meant a break-down jump by jump. Yuna Kim did triple-triple combinations and did them better. So unless she was landing flips instead of lutzes or the Russian was adding loop jumps as her second jump rather than toe jumps (which I didn't see), that kind of thing, then I'm not seeing a 5-point better technical skate.

ETA: Whoops, should have followed *both* your links before responding. I'm still skeptical (why is Sotnikova's three-jump combination scored better), but I do appreciate the breakdown - exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks!