Menu

Can we talk pantries for a minute? Need kitchen advice.

Stratford

The big question is this: would you give up a coat closet to build a walk-in pantry?  

The details:  We have a nice-sized kitchen with a poor layout.  We can change very little (structurally speaking) but desperately need more storage space.  Currently, we keep a large amount of pantry items and many small appliances (including my crockpot) in the basement.  Not convenient.  

Between our kitchen and dining room we have a hallway with a coat closet.  If we closed this hallway in we would have a 5'x6' walk-in pantry.  DH is adamant that we need a coat closet in that space.  I see his point, but we use our kitchen/food/small appliances EVERY DAY and we use coats maybe 5 months out of the year.  

The other idea is to turn the coat closet into a pantry without closing off the dining room from the kitchen.  Less storage but still way more than we have right now.  Plus it would be a cheaper solution.  Either way, we eliminate the coat closet.  We do have a spot for a coat rack, and the kids could keep extra coats in their rooms upstairs.  

So is it crazy to not have a coat closet?  I'm not really considering resale value, as I have no plans to move, but that could be a factor someday.  Thoughts?

The big question is this: would you give up a coat closet to build a walk-in pantry?  

YES YES, a thousand times yes! (But keep in mind I live in CA where we wear coats for maybe 3 weeks!). I super puffy heart LOVE mine and wish it was bigger even! We keep NO food in the regular kitchen cabinets other than 1 with spices by the oven.

But our coats (ok, jackets really) hang on hooks behind the laundry room door, because that is how we exit the house. Guests' coats can go on a bed or spare couch.

If you have low need of coats: 1 per person, not bulky, just during your coat season. I'd be happy with wall mounted hooks or a coat tree.

What else is kept in the "coat" closet? (Shoes, hats, outdoor toys, bags/backpacks?)

To compromise with DH, I'd turn the closet mostly into a pantry, with a small area that "we will move coats into for that season" -- then try that, then demonstrate that perhaps a coat tree would work better.

I think a pantry is more useful than a coat closet. You spend more time cooking than putting on coats, even in a cold climate. As others have suggested, you can probably find a convenient place to stash coats you use frequently. Get the food and appliances out of the basement!

I would give up a cost closet for a pantry - no question.   Our coat closet is at the front door but we never use that door and instead come in through the back door. We hung a wall mount that has 6 hooks and under that we have a shelf to hold shoes. There was a basket for hats and gloves back when our kids were young.    It's not hidden and it's not beautiful, but with four kids, our house was rarely beautiful. We embraced the 'lived in' look.   We live on the Wisconsin/Illinois line and have coats or jackets hung on that rack about 9 months of the year. 

But a nice working pantry would have saved me time and energy. Time I wouldn't have spent running down to the basement to get things stored there, and I could have stocked up more at the grocery store and kept an organized pantry.  

Definitely. I live in New England and I would give up a coat closet for a pantry. As it stands now, our mudroom is half and half. On one wall are built in pantry shelves on the left and on the right. In the middle are pegs on the wall for coats. Across from that wall is also a coat closet. Now, I'm thinking that I could de-clutter the coat closet (it's long) and use half for winter wear and the other half for more pantry storage (we keep some canned goods down in the basement, which is definitely not convenient). In the other half of the coat closet I would put a half bookcase and put food on those shelves.

Awesome idea.

I wouldn't worry about re-sale value. Not at all.

I wouldn't worry about resale value, either -- and honestly, I think a nice pantry would add far more value than an ordinary coat closet. And really, unless you're selling the house in the dead of winter, many potential buyers won't even notice the lack of a coat closet, because they won't be wearing a coat when they tour your home.

Besides, resale value is nice, but unless you're selling your home within the next year, I think you should design your home for your own lifestyle, not for a future buyer.

Yes, I would give up the coat closet for a pantry.  And I live in the Northeast where coats get a lot of use.  Kids can keep their coats in their rooms. As could dh and I. Or put some hooks up for use during coat season. Company coming-put coats in a bedroom.

On a side note-I do not recommend keeping panties in the kitchen.

I would definitely go w/a pantry over a coat closet.  We have a nice pantry--it's not walk-in but I can't imagine not having it.  Even our coat closet in the entry has turned into storage--board games and holiday decorations.  We have hooks on the other side of the entry for coats--of course I live in TX and other than this year we rarely have a need for coats!

Having just in the last year added a pantry to our kitchen I'd give up pretty much anything short of chocolate for a pantry. It is fabulous.

Coats here go in the wardrobe but we don't have snow.

(Actually they go on the floor until I pick them up and put them away so maybe we need a coat closet)

I would give up a coat closet for a pantry.  Right inside the front door, I have this rack from IKEA which has our town coats, town jackets, and town shoes on it.  Our farm jackets and coats are by the back door.  Farm boots are on the back porch.  For guest, we either hang them in the guest bedroom closet or lay them across the bed.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40099792/

The details:  We have a nice-sized kitchen with a poor layout.  We can change very little (structurally speaking) but desperately need more storage space.  Currently, we keep a large amount of pantry items and many small appliances (including my crockpot) in the basement.  Not convenient.  

Between our kitchen and dining room we have a hallway with a coat closet.  If we closed this hallway in we would have a 5'x6' walk-in pantry.  DH is adamant that we need a coat closet in that space.  I see his point, but we use our kitchen/food/small appliances EVERY DAY and we use coats maybe 5 months out of the year.  

The other idea is to turn the coat closet into a pantry without closing off the dining room from the kitchen.  Less storage but still way more than we have right now.  Plus it would be a cheaper solution.  Either way, we eliminate the coat closet.  We do have a spot for a coat rack, and the kids could keep extra coats in their rooms upstairs.  

So is it crazy to not have a coat closet?  I'm not really considering resale value, as I have no plans to move, but that could be a factor someday.  Thoughts?

In my whole life, I've only lived in three places that had actual coat closets. My aunt had one in her house, but it was tiny. Her family mostly kept their coats in their own rooms.

I'd give up a coat closet for a 6' x 5' pantry ANY DAY!!!

Pantries can be an economic advantage to the family. You will be able to store lots of products you buy in bulk at sale prices. Coats, well, they are just a drag on the family economy... as I learn every fall when I buy them for growing kids. As such, they deserve no special place in your home. I think an economic argument might be effective with a dh.

My coat closet is used as our store room. Our actual store room is at my patio. We have an over the door hanger on the coat closet door to hang often used coats. The rest of the coats are in our wardrobes. My friends typically use their coat closets for storing their vacuum cleaners. I do have plenty of kitchen cabinets though.

I do have a hallway from my kitchen to my dining room and I like it because I have a good view of my kids doing their school work from the kitchen.

Since you need the space, it makes sense to use the coat closet as pantry and hang the coats elsewhere.

Yes, absolutely!

We renovated our kitchen and a pantry was the first thing on my list. We haven't regretted it. I love having a kitchen that is just how we wanted it. The reno was finished a year ago and I still walk into it every morning and think how much I like it. It would be really hard to do without the walk in pantry now.

As for coats and whatever else you keep in the closet, surely you can find another solution? Get a groovy umbrella stand with lots of coat hooks. Put a long row of hooks on the wall in the front hall/entrance. Stow the coats in the laundry. Get each person to choose one coat (and scarf and whatever else) and keep it in her/his bedroom. If you're desperate for space just mount a hanging rack or hookboard on the inside of your front door. Not the most convenient or stylish, but seriously walk in pantries are great.

Er, so yes, I'm in favor lol

We have a gigantic walk in pantry (6x10) in our kitchen.  It is nice to have everything out where I can see it and keep all appliances like the ice cream maker, popcorn popper, fondue pots, bread machine, etc, in there so they are not in my kitchen.  I turned the coat closet into a toy closet.  We did a project at a Home Depot moms night out where they painted a board and attached coat hooks, viola, coat racks.  Each kid has one and I hung them along the wall of the garage.  Their boots, scarves, gloves, etc are in baskets I got from the Dollar Tree right underneath their rack.  Get out of the car, put your stuff up, it never makes it into the house.  I love it!

We gave up our coat closet to make a game cabinet, so definitely yes! The only time we miss the coat storage is when we have company, but to be honest, we didn't often use it when we had it...people are more likely to just hang their coats off the back of a chair, which is fine by me. That's what I do with my coat! And the children have always had hooks on the wall that are more appropriate to their heights than the closet, so we really didn't need it at all.

Sorry for the panties/pantries confusion.  It looks like I need to proofread a little better.

FWIW, I did find a pair of little toddler undies under my kitchen table today.....

This thread has been full of excellent arguments and I hope to persuade DH.  Obviously, the WTM minds can't be wrong!

We entertain a lot so I would miss my coat closets.  We actually have two in our front foyer.  

HOWEVER, I love my pantry!  Our pantry is really another room (~ 10 x 10) attached to our kitchen.  We use it for additional non-perishable food storage but also for less frequently used appliances storage and there is additional counter/work space in the pantry (along with a prep sink) so it can be an additional cooking area.

I think if I had to choose I would keep the pantry and have DH find us some awesome full size armoires to put in the foyer for coats. I'm not sure how your house is laid out, but would this be a possibility? 

Absolutely, no question. I love my big pantry so much, I might give up an entire room in order to have it. Solutions for coats are easy--each person gets space for one coat on the rack, other coats stay in their owners' bedroom closets. Solutions for food? Not so simple.